damon lindelof's "the hunt" coming friday the 13th

henrygandorf

written by lindelof and nick cuse (carlton's son).  directed by craig zobel (z for zachariah and a bunch of tv i've never heard of).

if you think you remember reading about it several months ago, you probably did...(but i couldn't find a thread)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/controversial-movie-the-hunt-gets-release-date-new/1100-6473600/

The Hunt is a wild movie about rich elites hunting poor people for sport. The latest Blumhouse film was supposed to release in September 2019, but after a backlash online, it was pulled. Now, a new trailer and release date have arrived for the survival horror film.

As a surprise to anyone who was looking forward to The Hunt, the movie will now arrive in theaters on March 13--Friday the 13th, to be more precise. In celebration of the new release, Blumhouse has revealed a new trailer, leaning into the fact the movie is extremely controversial, even though no one has seen it yet. Check it out below.

Back in August, Universal pulled the movie from theatrical release following criticism of the film--as the film centers around elite liberals hunting down poor conservatives. Additionally, there was also a series of tweets from President Trump--referring to the film without naming it. At the time, Universal released this statement for The Hunt: "After thoughtful consideration, the studio has decided to cancel our plans to release the film. We stand by our filmmakers and will continue to distribute films in partnership with bold and visionary creators, like those associated with this satirical social thriller, but we understand that now is not the right time to release this film."

In an interview with Variety, producer Jason Blum said they would make the film available to the President stating, "Our real hope is that the president sees the movie." Blum went on to say that people's perceptions of the movie--based on the trailer--were wrong. "We felt like everybody got it wrong because no one had seen the movie. It was the most talked about movie that no one has ever seen. So what both of us [Blum and co-writer Damon Lindelof] were very eager for people to see the movie and realize that the movie is 100% satire and pokes fun at both sides equally. We wanted to see that represented in what people were writing about, but again, they couldn't because no one had seen it."

In addition to the new trailer, a new poster has arrived with quotes on it from media outlets reporting on the 2019 controversy surrounding the film.

Universal and Blumhouse's The Hunt movie poster Universal and Blumhouse's The Hunt movie poster

The official synopsis for the film reads, "In the shadow of a dark internet conspiracy theory, a group of elites gathers for the very first time at a remote Manor House to hunt ordinary Americans for sport. But the elites' master plan is about to be derailed because one of The Hunted, Crystal (Betty Gilpin), knows The Hunters' game better than they do. She turns the tables on the killers, picking them off, one by one, as she makes her way toward the mysterious woman (Hilary Swank) at the center of it all."

The Hunt stars Glipin (GLOW), Emma Roberts (American Horror Story), Swank (Trust), Glen Howerton (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia), and Ethan Suplee (The Santa Clarita Diet). It's directed by Craig Zobel, with a script by Lindleoff and Nick Cuse.

The Hunt arrives in theaters on March 13.

• 1 month later...

Liberals and conservatives killing each other, taking cancel culture to the next level. What's not to like?

It was dumb. It was fun. I wasn't bored.

Nice job acting by the lead, who you couldn't help root for.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/3/2020 at 10:48 AM, ajax said:

Liberals and conservatives killing each other, taking cancel culture to the next level. What's not to like?

It was dumb. It was fun. I wasn't bored.

Nice job acting by the lead, who you couldn't help root for.

Gagree. Definitely not the same caliber of a lot of Lindelof's other projects, but still an entertaining watch.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:19 AM, ajax said:

Also...

Reveal hidden contents

I never did figure out which side Don was on. I'm leaning toward - he's a liberal pretending to be a redneck.

Spoiler

I go back-and-forth on this one. He was the first one to think the crate was a trap and also helped the heroine kill Dennis from Always Sunny. And even though his picture was missing from the wall of the others being hunted towards the end, it looked like there was a spot for it that could have been removed by Hillary Swank's character before the final fight. So ultimately I think he was a redneck who Swank tricked into the heroine into killing.

Edited by Saint Austin

This dude wrote Aliens Promotheus. Lost was good but you can tell he didn't know how to end it which is why the ending completely fucking sucked. 

So basically he's like D&D of the Game of Thrones. He blows his wad early. Just don't stay around for the resolution of his stories. Or don't go poking holes at the plots, you may never come up for air again.

Edited by crash_davis

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This dude wrote Aliens Promotheus. Lost was good but you can tell he didn't know how to end it which is why the ending completely fucking sucked. 

So basically he's like D&D of the Game of Thrones. He blows his wad early. Just don't stay around for the resolution of his stories. Or don't go poking holes at the plots, you may never come up for air again.

Except that Leftovers was a complete 180 from this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Except that Leftovers was a complete 180 from this. 

Prometheus and Lost were such huge pieces of shits that I have actively avoided anything Lindelof is involved in. Holy shit Prometheus was so fucking incredibly fucking shittastic.

Do I want to really inflict pain on myself by watching Leftovers? Can I kill you if it sucks?

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Prometheus and Lost were such huge pieces of shits that I have actively avoided anything Lindelof is involved in. Holy shit Prometheus was so fucking incredibly fucking shittastic.

Do I want to really inflict pain on myself by watching Leftovers? Can I kill you if it sucks?

Wrong thread, so I'll spoiler.

Spoiler

Never seen Prometheus. I love LOST, but I acknowledge it's flaws.  Leftovers is completely different. For one, there are only 28 episodes, so it isn't near the time commitment that LOST is. Putting that aside, it is just a fantastic, well-acted, well-produced show with a story that was compelling to me.  The first season hooks you but is a bit slow. The second and third seasons are fantastic.

8 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Jon Spaihts did most of the heavy lifting on Prometheus-I wouldn’t ding Lindelof for that.  

Leftovers and Watchmen both have perfect endings. 

To tie this to the topic of the post, I thought Prometheus was one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen, Lost had an abortion of an ending, and I still think the Hunt was very enjoyable with a ton of rewatch potential.