"Dave" (Lil Dicky's new show) original comedy on FX

Goo Punch

23 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Not just that.  I actually thought the racial/privilege commentary that resulted from it was interesting and not really something I'd seen discussed before on tv.  But, man... they really went for it.

Oh cool! Another television show lecturing me! Out. 

i didn't feel lectured to, and had no idea where it was going, but it worked.  they also bumped it into dave's relationship with his best friend, who also kinda do weird gay-ish bathtub stuff together.  but like they said, it's not sexual.  i felt like i understood both points of view (dave and gata), and neither was really right or wrong, it just was.

• Like 2

I didn’t really understand the commentary of the last episode. I don’t care what culture or background you’re from, if you’re “playing around” like that you’re 150% gay. Unless there’s this whole aspect of rich white culture I have never heard of, but I doubt it.

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

I didn’t really understand the commentary of the last episode. I don’t care what culture or background you’re from, if you’re “playing around” like that you’re 150% gay. Unless there’s this whole aspect of rich white culture I have never heard of, but I doubt it.

Yeah, and then turning it into some race commentary about white privilege / systemic racism.  I don’t know, it felt like they were trying too hard but maybe I’m out of the loop on this.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh cool! Another television show lecturing me! Out. 

If you thought that was a lecture you’re really gonna hate the Internet. I don’t recommend going there.

Another interesting episode. We already knew Dave was a narcissistic ass, I’m not sure what the takeaway was. Nice to have Taylor back though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 9:18 PM, Helobious said:

If you haven’t sucked your homeys dick then you’re gay and a horrible friend 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We got 2 pretty epic performances in 1 episode. 

yeah, during the vma show (which turned out to be a rehearsal), i was like there's no way they would let them go on this long and keep switching the backdrop.  and once it was shown to be the rehearsal, i knew we wouldn't see that performance a second time in the episode, so that was a great payoff.

and mike's reaction to his surgery idea was great.

also with him coming to terms with who he is right now in the music world (playing smaller shows for superfans) should provide a nice arc for next season, assuming there is one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 4:18 AM, Helobious said:

This show is loosely based on real life -- so it's an exaggeration of the "real" Dave. 

His whole persona is crafted around this absurdist/non-sequitur sense of humor, and the genius of this show is blurring the lines between (1) Dave Byrd the person, (2) Lil Dicky the rapper, and (3) Lil Dicky the rapper portrayed on Dave.  I've been watching his vids since before the first album, and now watching the TV show it's hard to draw the lines between 1 vs 2 vs 3.

So yeah, on the surface that scene is awkkkward as hell, but its probably one of the instances of extreme over-the-top exaggeration.

Just binged S02.  First 2 or 3 episodes were really boring and awkward - the cinematic production style didn't really fit with the vibe - but then it got really really good, for reasons mentioned above.

Checked IMDB and first 3 EPs had guest co-writers.  The rest were primarily from the core writers, so that probably explains it.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Just started this last night.  4eps in and I love it.  The milking table/ ass eating scene made me laugh harder than anything I've seen this year

hahhahahah

"Imma just park on the street".... garage door going down, mike still staring straight 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 10 months later...