Relocation advice - San Antonio

6 hours ago, F250 said:

The Corona virus is everywhere out here and Ebola too. People should stay away.

This seems to be an issue up in that immediate area.   We are wanting to purchase land somewhere in Hwy 46 vicinity (Boerne to New Braunfels), but we still have time to see how this plays out.  Really even before I started following this,  we were leaning towards west of 281 on 46 toward Guadalupe St Park area.  

https://www.stop3009vulcanquarry.com

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

Ha, my coworker just bought a new house at 46 & 281, total boomtown up there. He has a son in middle school right now I think. He says SV has a freshman o-lineman that’s like 6’10 300 lbs or something. Wonder if he’ll blow up on the recruiting trail. 

That whole area used to be country as all get out, crazy to see how much it’s changed. I could never imagine that commute but I guess some people don’t mind it. Heard they’re building a new HS up around there soon, wonder if that’s gonna screw up the SV sports teams.

Yeah, that freshman o-lineman is a giant but still very young. It seems he hasn't had enough time to mentally grow into his size yet and looks a little awkward when he plays. He still has 3 more seasons to improve.

The area blew up about 6 years ago. We moved out here in 2003 and most of the growth was contained to south of Comal on 281 due to building restrictions. The new high school will be in Timberwood Park and pull in all of the north Bexar county suburbs on 281. I imagine SVHS will likely drop down to 5A and do well since they won't be playing Judson, Steele and Clemens anymore.

I can't really speak to the commute, I've been a remote worker for years so that isn't something I have to deal with.

If we do relocate, I’d be looking at somewhere just outside the Bexar County line and commuting to downtown. I left San Antonio 25 years ago and never thought I’d go back, but I find myself really kind of hoping this opportunity works out so I can move back. We moved from Austin to The Woodlands 12 years ago and I’m ready to be back close to my family and friends.

95 SV grad, grew up in Bulverde. I remember only one stoplight at Encino park headed into San Antonio. Total shit show now. Bulverde police department for fucks sake. There’s a Walmart at 281/46. Parents made assload of money on 281 frontage properties and we all gtfo 5 years ago. Y’all can have it.

Just looked at a map to figure out exactly wherewhere 46 and 281 was.  (One time coming to Helotes from Dallas there was some godawful traffic on 35 and I was going to Helotes and I ended up driving all up in that area trying to work my way over.  Kind of a mistake.)

Damn. 

Yeah, short of a someone who works from home and wants quicker access to -- I don't know, whatever you like to do out there -- why?

We made the move back in June from the DWF area. We drew a “v” from downtown to 1604 / 281. We looked north of 1604 but the plan was to stay inside it.

We settled in Hidden Forest which is across from the SilverHorn Golf course down at 281 / Bitters. We had to do a shit ton of remodeling, but we love the area. Everything is so close and a $15-20 Uber Ride to the Pearl.

I work just north of downtown and takes me 20 minutes in the morning and 30 in the afternoon.

30 minutes ago, Beef said:

We made the move back in June from the DWF area. We drew a “v” from downtown to 1604 / 281. We looked north of 1604 but the plan was to stay inside it.

We settled in Hidden Forest which is across from the SilverHorn Golf course down at 281 / Bitters. We had to do a shit ton of remodeling, but we love the area. Everything is so close and a $15-20 Uber Ride to the Pearl.

I work just north of downtown and takes me 20 minutes in the morning and 30 in the afternoon.

I’ve always liked that area 

I had a lot of friends in Hidden Forest in high school. It is a good area, but I would imagine any house there needs at least 40-50k worth of work.

We spent around $30K and that was after the owners before us did a few things before it hit the market. A full flip just sold on our street so hopefully that’s the neighborhood future.

17 hours ago, Beef said:

My sister in law is in what looks like is called North Central Heritage.  Basically take a straight line across 281 from Hidden Forrest.  I like it because McAllister Park right there, but it probably is just a tad harder to get to Pearl/etc.  Big old comfy house with shitloads of trees.

17 hours ago, Hate said:

I had a lot of friends in Hidden Forest in high school. It is a good area, but I would imagine any house there needs at least 40-50k worth of work.

As a kid, I lived there in the mid 80's and went to HF elementary before we moved to Castle Hills. Both areas were really nice at the time but have definitely aged.

I grew up in Monte Vista and went to Catholic schools so I can't speak to the education question. But I loved growing up in near Downtown with so much to see and do. I used to bike all around the downtown area with buddies. I never have and never will understand those who like suburban life beyond the more affordable real estate.

The schools near downtown have improved a lot and would give the kids a more diverse experience and an easier shot at top 6% or whatever it is now. A lot of people nearby paid to send their kids out of district to Alamo Heights. I don't know if that's still a thing people do.