Fuck Iowa and Nevada and maybe New Hampshire

RomaVicta

It grievously absurd that the caucuses in Iowa and Nevada are events that winnow the field by the time Texas, California, and the other Super Tuesday states get their say. I'm hesitant to include NH because it's such a tradition and doesn't happen that far ahead of the other states.

I hate the self-fulfilling prophecy of the importance of the Iowa caucuses. Lazy news people are hostile to news and actually prefer covering things that are predictable. Iowa got on the calendar of things we must cover, so it's forever to be a big story even though everybody hates it and the candidates have to waste enormous amounts of time and money there.

Why do candidates have to do that? Because lazy journalists and pundits can't keep themselves from covering the presidential race like a horse race. Biden was almost knocked out because he didn't do well in the tiny states. "He's not looking good coming out of the gate! Ooooh, there's a stumble!"

In fact what difference does it make to a Texan or a South Carolinian or a Wisconsinite how a few yokels in Iowa vote? It doesn't.

A few political junkies have cooked up the notion that Iowa is a proving ground for organization. Am I voting for a political campaign or a candidate?

It's silly that  Pete and Amy are out before today is over.

I voted for Warren. I didn't want to vote Biden to play keep away from Sanders. Warren is my favorite, the actual best candidate in my opinion. I'll happily vote for whomever gets the nomination.

This may not have needed a new thread, but I needed to have this thread.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

Generally agrees, though there isn't much reason to seperate NH from IA. At least NV allowed early ranked-choice voting for their contest and is somewhat representitive of the nation in terms of demographics.

In my opinion, the presidential primaries should all be on one day. Get it over with.

All in one day would make for interesting regional dynamics. I wonder if that would make the conventions relevant again with no candidate arriving with an insurmountable lead.

I could actually see Super Tuesday being the start which establishes front runners who then thrash it out for the remaining delegates.

I just know I hate what we're doing now. It's another way we lead the world in fucking up election processes.

I did like the Travis County ballots.

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I still don’t know what virtue signaling is. 

When hidebound curmudgeons whose emotional security is founded in something obviously idiotic, gasses build up in their system. Pity them, because it's painful. They further lose ability to apply rational analyses or form arguments. Pressure pressure pressure. It's really horrible for them.

At last, this built up bile and methane erupts from whatever exits are available. The sound reverberates on many frequencies, but amazingly sounds like two English words.

Virtue signaling!

Sort of like a frog burped and farted so hard that it shit all at the same time.

The smell is terrible. The English has no real meaning, but at least the curmudgeon gets a moment of relief. Sound and fury...you know the rest.

Edited by RomaVicta

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I still don’t know what virtue signaling is. 

It's mentioning your underlying moral reasoning on a particular topic.  Especially when the moral belief is a non-sequiter, only loosely related, ignores greater moral implications of the topic, or is used as a replacement for meaningful action.

"I'm going to go see the new Mulan movie because Asians are under-represented in media."

Edited by JBJ

Just now, JBJ said:

It's mentioning your underlying moral reasoning on a particular topic.  Especially when the moral belief is a non-sequiter, only loosely related, or ignores greater moral implications of the topic.

"I'm going to go see the new Mulan because Asians are under-represented in media."

Also: "I watch Fox News because the mainstream media is biased against conservatives."

• Haha 1

On topic... nah.

It's good to space out primaries in general and it's also good to hold initial primaries in small states so candidates have to work things out and be visible. We can argue about which states it should be or a rotation or whatever, but the idea of one national primary is insane because all that does is virtually entrench power in incumbency and money.

It eliminates any chance of candidates to start small and build over time.

End caucuses, fine. But keep the spaced out schedule

• Like 1