Surly prepper thread - virus related or not...

Wally Fairway

So Surlyites what have you done to prepare for the coronavirus infrastructure collapse (or for whatever pending doomsday you imagine - zombies, EMP, etc)

We have 2 cases of water at the house, instead of the usual 1, have about 2 cases of soup (because they were on sale 2 weeks ago), and 2 refrigerators that are mostly filled with things Mrs. Fairway stocks (because she can't shop for 2 after all the years of shopping for 6). Costco size packages of TP, kleenex, paper towels, and I think 3 or 4 cases of beer. 

What am I missing for the inevitable quaratinage?

7 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

So Surlyites what have you done to prepare for the coronavirus infrastructure collapse (or for whatever pending doomsday you imagine - zombies, EMP, etc)

We have 2 cases of water at the house, instead of the usual 1, have about 2 cases of soup (because they were on sale 2 weeks ago), and 2 refrigerators that are mostly filled with things Mrs. Fairway stocks (because she can't shop for 2 after all the years of shopping for 6). Costco size packages of TP, kleenex, paper towels, and I think 3 or 4 cases of beer. 

Hard liquor.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I don't see anything in your post describing a bunker.  WTF?

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Charcoal/propane  & grill and batteries for when the power goes out.   The charcoal and propane are to cook with and the batteries so your wife can have some pleasure in the post-apocalyptic world. 

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Hard liquor.

1 hour ago, Buck Strickland said:

Bullets, lots and lots of bullets

These guys get it. If you have bullets, you can get all the food you want. With hard liquor you can pass the time until you get hungry again.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Bought two weeks worth of food.  Dead serious.  

I'm going to add on to my earlier post.  I'm not a doomsday prepper and I think those people are lunatics.  That being said, I have serious concerns about the manufacturing capacity of food staples over the next few weeks.  (I covered some of that in the stock market thread.)  What is happening now with hand sanitizer could easily happen with food if this goes on much longer.

• Like 1

Campbells soup is adding production due to the current buying. 

And add this to the list! Vet Admin is doing an emergency buy for these. VA is buying a lot of things they usually leave to others. 

The San Francisco VA Medical Center will be purchasing supplies for Corona-19 preparedness - Max Air CAPR System. The Max Air CAPR system has successfully adopted in 2014. The CAPR was favored by clinicians for its ease of use over existing PAPR technology, reducing operator error and potential for exposure to aerosol transmissible diseases.

Just saying what I heard and read. Might just be ground up crap but it will be larger production. Could impact goldfish and Milano cookies. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/campbell-soup-is-increasing-production-to-prepare-for-coronavirus-demand.html

“We made the decision last week to up production in certain areas where we’re using a little bit the analogy of weather or natural disasters,” Clouse said on CNBC’s “Closing Bell.” “Where do we see demand coming in a greater rate? And we’ve upped that level of production to be able to maximize our inventory to be prepared for whatever unfolds here.”

It really depends on the product and the company plants and that goes for all companies.  There are also ingredients to be considered.  There's a bit of a chicken shortage right now for various reasons so any product that requires chicken can't just be doubled tomorrow.  

Below is the post I put in the Markets thread.  It applies here as well:

It might have been asked or addressed earlier in the thread but I'll speak to supply chain/inventory overall.  (I may not be pre med but I've spent the past 15 years in retail category management across various categories so I can speak authoritatively on this.)

I'm not talking about any category in particular but more overall (packaged food, electronics, sex toys, etc.)  It's important to not that all categories are different in relation to exposure to imports and materials.  Every item can be different in that regard.

That being said, unlike 20 years ago, there is zero safety stock with any of these categories.  There are not entire warehouses with 60 days of supply just waiting to be orders.  People like me have wrung out all of the excess inventory in the network from production to shelf.  Go look in the backroom of a well run chain store.  There is very little product back there and what is there just arrived.  Same with their DC's.  Every item may have a slot but there isn't much back stock there, either.  If there's an empty slot, more product is arriving that day or the next.  The phrase "Just In Time" really is that.  

There is no slack or fat in any of these supply chains, whether it's import or domestic.  If there is any prolonged disruptions due to materials, labor, etc., it'll take months to recover.  Same with a sales spike.

It's good news that Apple's production in China is back online.  They're kind of a bellweather on this subject.  Everyone is different, though.  It may be bumpy for awhile.

• Like 1

I've been swamped at work, so I'll admit I have not been super current on this one. It is not obvious to me how this is significantly different than SARS, bird flu, mad cow, or influenza. Does not seem like people are dying in the streets. And <nocloakroom> in two years of record fake news, it is hard to really glean how much is manufactured panic / uncertainty. </nocloarkroom> But I admit I'm not spending 10 hours a day reading up on it, so you hard core crazies feel free to call me names if it makes you feel better.

To your point, I do wonder if it will cause some foreign companies to rethink a strategy of 100% Chinese manufacturing. Again - little I've heard on the radio here and there - does not feel like it earns a gold star on transparency or containment. Heck, it would not shock me if this is the commie bastards testing the world's response as it relates to a long-term biological weapons strategy.

To the OP - I might snag a few extra snacks here and there, but as far as the big one - don't really want to survive Armageddon. 

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Someone sent me this pic of the toilet paper aisle at the William Cannon/Brodie HEB today.  

spacer.png

I'm sorry but people fucking suck. Imagine actually needing toilet paper. There haven't even been 10 deaths in the US yet. I get if you want to buy extra or whatever or start stocking up just in case but for fuck's sake let's chill out a little bit.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm sorry but people fucking suck. Imagine actually needing toilet paper. There haven't even been 10 deaths in the US yet. I get if you want to buy extra or whatever or start stocking up just in case but for fuck's sake let's chill out a little bit.

Sorry you had to wash your ass after the latest dump, bro.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Someone sent me this pic of the toilet paper aisle at the William Cannon/Brodie HEB today.  

spacer.png

Seriously wtf?  

I've been trying to add a few extra cans of food.  I probably need to add a gallon or two of bleach .  I might want to start sanitizing my produce.  I've been thinking of getting a small solar panel to charge phones and stuff.  I have plenty of wood (mom joke,that's why she said, etc).

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

There’s been 11 deaths in the US already.

Bought some additional ammo.  Have a plastic 50 gallon barrel (food grade) with bags of sand, gravel, charcoal to filter water (I’ve had that for a while just for fun/story), some extra cans of food, pasta, rice, beans, deer meat, ground beef, etc.   I also got an extra large bag bag of dry dog food, some alcohol/peroxide, bandages, etc.   

ive always kept extra stuff around due to our reliance on manufactured electricity and knowing a good solar storm could get us in a worse place tomorrow than this virus can.   

I also have enough copper wire and associated items that I could fashion an electromagnet pretty easily.  I’ll make my own shit if I need to.  

3 hours ago, davidg said:

Charcoal/propane  & grill and batteries for when the power goes out.   The charcoal and propane are to cook with and the batteries so your wife can have some pleasure in the post-apocalyptic world. 

Not mesquite?  Negged.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Bought some additional ammo.  Have a plastic 50 gallon barrel (food grade) with bags of sand, gravel, charcoal to filter water (I’ve had that for a while just for fun/story), some extra cans of food, pasta, rice, beans, deer meat, ground beef, etc.   I also got an extra large bag bag of dry dog food, some alcohol/peroxide, bandages, etc.   

ive always kept extra stuff around due to our reliance on manufactured electricity and knowing a good solar storm could get us in a worse place tomorrow than this virus can.   

I also have enough copper wire and associated items that I could fashion an electromagnet pretty easily.  I’ll make my own shit if I need to.  

I have questions:

1.  do you have a dog?

2. Once you get your electromagnet set up and ready to go . . .  what does it do?

• Like 1