Surly prepper thread - virus related or not...

Wally Fairway

24 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I have questions:

1.  do you have a dog?

2. Once you get your electromagnet set up and ready to go . . .  what does it do?

I do have a dog.  

I can charge a bank of batteries with an electromagnet.  If shit were bad, I could ‘acquire’ batteries from cars.  

I also have several pump syphons and extra gas cans (a lot of that was leftover from use during Harvey rescue stuff we did). 

I generally just buy some stuff every now and then when I have money that I can completely blow on shit I hope I’ll never need.  

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I bought a cabin in the woods with its own water supply, ample deer and wild turkey running around, and a house hold generator. I'll be installing some solar, as a secondary back up soon. 

I may or may not have some guns and ammo.

I have probably over a month worth of food and toilet paper.

I'll be volunteering this weekend in Cookeville TN to help where I can, if I can, with whatever I can. Even if that means completely depleted preps. 

What's happening in Cookeville TN this weekend? Uncle Same releasing the cracklin?

An extra few months of prescription meds. The supply chain for some drugs might be borked for awhile.
Non-perishable food that you'll actually eat when the apocalypse doesn't happen.
Cash money. Gotta get pretty bad before American cash is useless.
Booze, coffee and sugar will have barter value if the USD falls apart. Luxury items become the currency. This was proven in the Kosovo war in the late 90's. Prostitutes made out well also.

7 minutes ago, Covri said:

Honest question, why are people stock piling bottled water? It’s not a hurricane, your faucets still work...

If water goes out, for what ever reason, like a main breaks, well there won't be the same level of response. And not everyone lives in perfect places where nothing bad goes on. Plus what they fuck is wrong with extra water? How else do you rehydrate after all the beer drinking? 

Honest question, why are people stock piling bottled water? It’s not a hurricane, your faucets still work...

I was in Costco on Monday and saw several people filling up their carts with multiple packs of bottled water. There was also no toilet paper or paper towels to be found and random items were uncharacteristically low or out. I do think it’s not a terrible idea to be a little extra of items you use regularly when you’re otherwise out shopping as I’m assuming that when things start getting worse, the hysterical buying will get worse and, like it or not, it will have been smarter to buy a little extra in advance.

Having said that, my wife was then at Target later that day and said they didn’t seem to be low/out of such items. That made me wonder if a Costco attracts more of the doomsday prepper/hoarder type.

Build different but comprehensive Amazon carts saved depending on the specific emergency.  Ship to an undisclosed location.  En route, burgle known preppers - gathering weapons, ammo, and additional supplies along the way.

Once settled, focus attention on planning additional prepper heists as needed.  Pro tip:  Wait for them to fall asleep.  

4 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

I have enough food and beer to feed my family and get me drunk for a month. Somewhere between 5 and 10k rounds of 556.

I also have enough toilet paper to clean up a small town ravaged by Ebola. Haha fuckers!

is it safe to store that much beer in one location ?

• Haha 1

You can buy 4 24 packs of dasini or Aquafina for like 20 bucks. Those supermarket bottled gallons are like .89. Its an insanely cheap to stockpile unlike tp. When this blows over you can put it in a corner for a flood, Hurricane, tornado whatever. Then the stores will be empty of these things and you’d wish you’d have it.

I bet I have 5 or 6 cases of water and a bunch of those gallon jugs in my basement

8 minutes ago, davidg said:

Please explain the science on this to me.

Now, just imagine a larger battery, like a car battery (or bank of car batteries if wired properly) with a larger electromagnet and a better turning system (a small windmill would work, as would an exercise bike) 

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Magnetic-Induction-Battery-Charger

• Like 2

I got some groceries, some peanut butter,
To last a couple of days...

Burned all my notebooks, what good are notebooks?
They won't help me survive
My chest is aching, burns like a furnace,
The burning keeps me alive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I always heard in a true apocalypse-like crisis, a significant chunk of the population would be dead in 14 days. I always keep at least 15 days of food, water, alcohol, and batteries. After that, I guess it’s lord of the flies. 

And a way to keep me from taking it from you...looting and chaos would initiate well before the 15th day.  

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, Ths71 said:

I got some groceries, some peanut butter,
To last a couple of days...

Burned all my notebooks, what good are notebooks?
They won't help me survive
My chest is aching, burns like a furnace,
The burning keeps me alive

Why stay in college?  Why go to night school?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I was able to get a bunch of n99 masks and replaceable filters on Amazon. My stockpile is now complete. 

I have masks, toilet paper, whiskey, beer, tequila, a metric fuckton of food, and more guns than I know what to do with. Let's do this!

I think you missed on thing, that you don't want to run out of

41iGK4ity-L._AC_.jpg

or if you really want to go big

51MficOMo3L._AC_.jpg

On 3/5/2020 at 5:08 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You can buy 4 24 packs of dasini or Aquafina for like 20 bucks. Those supermarket bottled gallons are like .89. Its an insanely cheap to stockpile unlike tp. When this blows over you can put it in a corner for a flood, Hurricane, tornado whatever. Then the stores will be empty of these things and you’d wish you’d have it.

I bet I have 5 or 6 cases of water and a bunch of those gallon jugs in my basement

Several years ago we had to shut off the water in the house due to a big pipe leak. It happened over the weekend and took almost two days to get water running in the house again. It took less than 24 hours to go through 18 gallons of water at which point I just sent the family off to a hotel.

X-post from stories that remind you of Surly

An Australian woman took the stockpiling to new heights by accident – purchasing a 12-year supply of the necessity and turning herself into a self-proclaimed toilet paper queen in the process.

Haidee Janetzki, who lives in the city of Toowoomba, about 80 miles west of Brisbane, purchased 2,304 rolls of toilet paper from the online service Who Gives a Crap, reported Reuters and the Australian Broadcasting Co.

The Janetzkis typically order 48 rolls every three months, but they bungled the order after switching to a new service.

She mistakenly ordered 48 boxes of the company’s toilet paper, which comes in 48-roll boxes. That amounted to over $2,000 of the stuff. 

I usually never buy into prepping, but this feels different to me for some reason. I started accumulating extra supplies a few weeks ago to avoid the panic. Nothing crazy, but extra of what we normally buy.

A variety of canned food, a variety of frozen food, two weeks of meat instead of one, pasta, rice, etc. Haven't hoarded water or TP, but do have enough on hand to get us through for a while if needed. I only own a single shotgun and a couple hundred rounds so not much there. Also pulled some cash out. Plenty of bourbon and wine, but I already had that. Fired up the generator the other day to make sure it still ran.

The way I look at it is that the food will get eaten regardless so no harm there. Some of the other things I've been wanting to have on hand in case of a hurricane or other emergency anyway.

Had all this before, but....

500 gallon propane tank
10kW propane generator
Rainwater collection w/20k gallon tank
Two wells
Guns/ammo
Dry food for 6 months
Dry seeds/fertilizer
Couple cases in f Tito’s
Bidets, so fuck toilet paper
Soap
Bleach
Basic medical supplies( ibuprofen, antibiotic ointment, bandages, alcohol, vitamins, etc)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I usually never buy into prepping, but this feels different to me for some reason. I started accumulating extra supplies a few weeks ago to avoid the panic. Nothing crazy, but extra of what we normally buy.

A variety of canned food, a variety of frozen food, two weeks of meat instead of one, pasta, rice, etc. Haven't hoarded water or TP, but do have enough on hand to get us through for a while if needed. I only own a single shotgun and a couple hundred rounds so not much there. Also pulled some cash out. Plenty of bourbon and wine, but I already had that. Fired up the generator the other day to make sure it still ran.

The way I look at it is that the food will get eaten regardless so no harm there. Some of the other things I've been wanting to have on hand in case of a hurricane or other emergency anyway.

Yeah I'm the same. I figured whatever I buy that's non perishable that I dont eat, I will donate to the local food bank.

• Like 1