Surly prepper thread - virus related or not...

Wally Fairway

1 hour ago, Texaus said:

Had all this before, but....

500 gallon propane tank
10kW propane generator
Rainwater collection w/20k gallon tank
Two wells
Guns/ammo
Dry food for 6 months
Dry seeds/fertilizer
Couple cases in f Tito’s
Bidets, so fuck toilet paper
Soap
Bleach
Basic medical supplies( ibuprofen, antibiotic ointment, bandages, alcohol, vitamins, etc)

Thanks for telling us. Mind saying where?  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Texaus said:

500 gallon propane tank
10kW propane generator
Two wells
Guns/ammo
Dry food for 6 months
Dry seeds/fertilizer
Couple cases in f Tito’s
Soap
Bleach
Basic medical supplies( ibuprofen, antibiotic ointment, bandages, alcohol, vitamins, etc)

Fairly close minus the generator.  Water stored in a closet full of cases of water along with portable purifiers (hiking/hunting variety).  No well, but we have a pool.  

Obligatory...

tenor.gif?itemid=15883909

12 hours ago, Texaus said:

500 gallon propane tank
10kW propane generator
Two wells
Guns/ammo
Dry food for 6 months
Dry seeds/fertilizer
Couple cases in f Tito’s
Soap
Bleach

curious what your plan is for rotating this stock as items "go bad"

39 minutes ago, next2naus said:

curious what your plan is for rotating this stock as items "go bad"

nothing in that list is 'perishable.'  Hell, jerky lasts a long ass time and canned goods are good for pretty much a minimum of 2 years.  Same with bottled water.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

Flour, rice, sugar, pasta, beans are all vacuum sealed and I figure 5 year shelf life. Once that’s up I’ll just replace them. It’s like $500 worth of food, maybe?

I don’t really consider myself a prepper. The property I bought came with the rain water collection system, cistern, wells, propane tanks. I’ve just added the generator and other supplies.

Just now, Iceman said:

nothing in that list is 'perishable.'  Hell, jerky lasts a long ass time and canned goods are good for pretty much a minimum of 2 years.  Same with bottled water.

500 gallon propane tank
10kW propane generator
Rainwater collection w/20k gallon tank (How is the water kept potable for long periods, even a stone cistern can require assistance)
Two wells How are they powered? presuming they are pump driven, what are you doing to test the groundwater?
Guns/ammo
Dry food for 6 months so refresh every six months? this shit does have a shelf life, its long but...
Dry seeds/fertilizer
Couple cases in f Tito’s
Bidets, so fuck toilet paper Genny and well water powered?
Soap
Bleach
Basic medical supplies( ibuprofen, antibiotic ointment, bandages, alcohol, vitamins, etc) again, shelf life

these non perishables do go bad and the medicine can lose efficacy and once bought, its easy to forget about this stuff

1 minute ago, Texaus said:

Flour, rice, sugar, pasta, beans are all vacuum sealed and I figure 5 year shelf life. Once that’s up I’ll just replace them. It’s like $500 worth of food, maybe?

I don’t really consider myself a prepper. The property I bought came with the rain water collection system, cistern, wells, propane tanks. I’ve just added the generator and other supplies.

thx

4 minutes ago, next2naus said:

500 gallon propane tank
10kW propane generator
Rainwater collection w/20k gallon tank (How is the water kept potable for long periods, even a stone cistern can require assistance)
Two wells How are they powered? presuming they are pump driven, what are you doing to test the groundwater?
Guns/ammo
Dry food for 6 months so refresh every six months? this shit does have a shelf life, its long but...
Dry seeds/fertilizer
Couple cases in f Tito’s
Soap
Bleach
Basic medical supplies( ibuprofen, antibiotic ointment, bandages, alcohol, vitamins, etc) again, shelf life

these non perishables do go bad and the medicine can lose efficacy and once bought, its easy to forget about this stuff

yeah, I wasn't assuming water for direct drinking purposes. The medicines would be effective also for about 2 years, minimum.

Fuel for the generator predicates everything else, IMHO.

How long are we trying to survive here?  6 months or until the aliens arrive?

I am prepping for three months. About to head out and grab a chest freezer from my place in South Austin.

From connecting all the dots...this looks like it will be a bit cray cray for at least a few months. I'd rather be "safe" than sorry....I I can always eat leftovers.

Edited by Tailgate

2 hours ago, next2naus said:

500 gallon propane tank
10kW propane generator
Guns/ammo
Dry seeds/fertilizer
Couple cases in f Tito’s
Soap
Bleach

I add bleach to the cistern periodically. The cistern is for rainwater only, well water does not go in there. The water off metal roof first passes into overflow tubes to catch any roof/gutter debris, the overflow goes to cistern. The water out of the cistern passes through filters (don't know the sizes) and UV light. Once inside, we have further RO filters for drinking water.

The wells are in daily use and are operated by a submersible pump, pressure tank, and pressure pump. My generator can power these. I test my well water at the faucet after the RO system with a TDS meter. I have thought about fitting one of the wells with a hand pump, or at least having one in the shop for emergencies. If shit really hit the fan, I could always pull the submersible pump out of casing and just bring water up with a bucket fashioned from PVC and a rope.

The bidets are powered by the household water pressure. That would be handled by gen at the pressure pump for either the well or rainwater system, depending on whichever I have diverted to the house.

I'm not worried about shelf life. After 5 years I'll just replace the shit.

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

I am prepping for three months. About to head out and grab a chest freezer from my place in South Austin.

From connecting all the dots...this looks like it will be a bit cray cray for at least a few months. I'd rather be "safe" than sorry....I I can always eat leftovers.

You’re suppposed to be in South Austin’s mom, not South Austin.  

"

I add bleach to the cistern periodically. The cistern is for rainwater only, well water does not go in there. The water off metal roof first passes into overflow tubes to catch any roof/gutter debris, the overflow goes to cistern. The water out of the cistern passes through filters (don't know the sizes) and UV light. Once inside, we have further RO filters for drinking water.

The wells are in daily use and are operated by a submersible pump, pressure tank, and pressure pump. My generator can power these. I test my well water at the faucet after the RO system with a TDS meter. I have thought about fitting one of the wells with a hand pump, or at least having one in the shop for emergencies. If shit really hit the fan, I could always pull the submersible pump out of casing and just bring water up with a bucket fashioned from PVC and a rope."

what did this shit and the wells cost? Where I live its about $12k for a well to be dug

On 3/4/2020 at 8:17 PM, Trey3216 said:

Bought some additional ammo.  Have a plastic 50 gallon barrel (food grade) with bags of sand, gravel, charcoal to filter water (I’ve had that for a while just for fun/story), some extra cans of food, pasta, rice, beans, deer meat, ground beef, etc.   I also got an extra large bag bag of dry dog food, some alcohol/peroxide, bandages, etc.   

ive always kept extra stuff around due to our reliance on manufactured electricity and knowing a good solar storm could get us in a worse place tomorrow than this virus can.   

I also have enough copper wire and associated items that I could fashion an electromagnet pretty easily.  I’ll make my own shit if I need to.  

Good idea. Keep the dogs fat in case you have to eat them.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

See y’all on the other side.
1746bed10d2dca0f328e1080819d0b29.jpg

Bonsai can be a Great way to pass the time.

You’ve got quite the number of trees there. Your skill however is lacking though...... but nothing a little time won’t fix.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Better remove the red plastic caps off the muzzles if you want to scare anybody.

I rubbed all my rounds on a copy of Lenin's What is To Be Done? so if you get shot by me you go to Communist Heaven instead of Patriot Heaven. All of my enemies know this so they fear me greatly because of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Bonsai can be a Great way to pass the time.

You’ve got quite the number of trees there. Your skill however is lacking though...... but nothing a little time won’t fix.

Good luck!

Edited by Treefidy
Wrong post

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I rubbed all my rounds on a copy of Lenin's What is To Be Done? so if you get shot by me you go to Communist Heaven instead of Patriot Heaven. All of my enemies know this so they fear me greatly because of it.

I forged my home loaded casings in the burning ashes of the Marx-Engels reader I still have from my History of Economic Thought class from 18 years ago.  You’ll be forlorn seeing Hayek and Friedman at the beer line in Valhalla 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 52-80 said:

How you gonna have a raiders hat next to a 9ers one?

I actually like a lot of NFL teams...Raiders are my main and many buddies (no pun) in SF and really like that town.

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

As a nonuser, and really just out of curiosity, how long should that last? I'm weeks, or months?

When I was young...a couple months...I have a good years supply now. I don’t know when I’ll be back to California or Colorado and always make sure I’m stocked up. 

added some Buckshot and Slugs to the shelf yesterday. I'm well armed but I might add another long Arm for the wife. (pun)

I needed to stop by the grocery store and everything there was fine. Sort of same situation it's been for a couple weeks. lack of Paper Towel, shit-tickets, any sort of antibacterial wipes, etc.

Overnight there has been a run on groceries on Long Island, I tend to shop on Friday AM and it's great because no one is there. this AM the store was out of all Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Pork short of some rando cuts and sausages. The checkout line was about an hour. Fortunately they started to restock the meats as I was in line so I could run down the isale and grab some items. All stuff I'd normally shop for. 

Local Schools are are closed, some just to be deep cleaned and some for the next two to three weeks. 

Ok assholes, I am all prepped so bring it on.... 6 large M&M Blizzards (DQ sale, buy one, get another for 80 cents).
Each one will last three days for the two of us. 
....and there are two big boxes of Healthy Choice Fudge bars on the shelf above.
391-EBBFF-245-C-4-DFC-80-DC-78544-D7-C76-A1.jpg

2539aa25791a4b6377a63a2ccbfb9ebd.jpg

Got bullets and now bourbon. I’m good.
  • Like 2