Surly prepper thread - virus related or not...

Wally Fairway

I only bought the usual week stuff but maybe an extra frozen pizza or two. We have non perishable supplies purchased last month from Amazon. I will say, there were only 10 onions left in the whole store at Sprouts. And I stood behind this asshole with my empty bag waiting to get some and he took all of them. Whatever. I drove to Whole Foods. They had tons of everything. 

Since I've got plenty of free time I've been thinking about buying some cheap land out in maybe west Texas and building a getaway cabin.  Someplace relatively isolated.

Anyone got suggestions for an area I should look at.  I'm not crazy about the desert but I guess I could manage it.

17 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Since I've got plenty of free time I've been thinking about buying some cheap land out in maybe west Texas and building a getaway cabin.  Someplace relatively isolated.

Anyone got suggestions for an area I should look at.  I'm not crazy about the desert but I guess I could manage it.

Amarillo

Don’t consider myself a prepper but...

just ordered a greenhouse kit so we can extend growing season and hopefully have vegetables. We have 4 chickens that yield about 20 eggs per week, though if chicken feed becomes an issue I don’t know what I’d feed them. Our grass and their own egg shells would have to do. 

I grow broccoli sprouts on some stacked hydroponic trays that I bought off of amazon. 

What I wish I had right now was a 15 cubic foot deep freezer in the garage. 

obviously, we are mostly not prepping for no electricity or full on end of society, but it’s useful for stuff like is happening now. 

• Like 2

I filled up the freezer with a decent amount of chicken, steak, frozen vegetables and a handful of frozen meals (which I hate.). As long as I have utilities (water, gas, electricity) I’m pretty set for a few weeks.  Add in some canned food, eggs, etc and I think I have a month locked in.  Living alone makes it easy. 

44 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Don’t consider myself a prepper but...

just ordered a greenhouse kit so we can extend growing season and hopefully have vegetables. We have 4 chickens that yield about 20 eggs per week, though if chicken feed becomes an issue I don’t know what I’d feed them. Our grass and their own egg shells would have to do. 

I grow broccoli sprouts on some stacked hydroponic trays that I bought off of amazon. 

What I wish I had right now was a 15 cubic foot deep freezer in the garage. 

obviously, we are mostly not prepping for no electricity or full on end of society, but it’s useful for stuff like is happening now. 

Check out Lowes or homedepot for large freezers. You should be able to have one delivered within a few days by ordering online.

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Check out Lowes or homedepot for large freezers. You should be able to have one delivered within a few days by ordering online.

They won’t ship to me and won’t deliver since I’m 90 miles from the nearest. Biggest thing is I just spent almost a thousand on guns this week so another 800 or so for a decent sized freezer just can’t happen. 

Don’t consider it. Just buy one.  Worst case you’re out a few hundred and you can now store more food at home especially when you see sales.
I agree. Just told the wife to shut down all non-essential purchases to conserve cash until some uncertainty passes. Will see if I can find a good deal. I know deep freezes are super cheap. I'd prefer a fridge/freezer though so it could be the designated beer fridge during non-pandemic times.

Here's a question. For those of us who have 2+ weeks of food on hand, is it better to restock every 4-7 days? Or run it down low and make big, occasional runs?

If we aren't worried about stuff running out, making fewer runs for one big order makes sense from the social distancing standpoint. It all comes down to whether we think stores are gonna run out of food. I don't think that's gonna happen. I think the run we saw is about done and we'll have adequate supplies all the way through.

Or am I wrong?

Go to the stores early. Right after they open or within 2 hrs. Trucks normally run early. I would go every few days and replenish what I could and have consumed. You don’t wanna run out or be close to out and have to hope you can find enough to last you a couple of weeks.

We built up a decent supply and plan to replenish perishable items and a few other things weekly. If the shit really hit the fan we could make it for a month or so before we hit the bottom of the barrel. I'd prefer not to eat cans of food or Ramen until I really have to though.

Here's a question. For those of us who have 2+ weeks of food on hand, is it better to restock every 4-7 days? Or run it down low and make big, occasional runs?

If we aren't worried about stuff running out, making fewer runs for one big order makes sense from the social distancing standpoint. It all comes down to whether we think stores are gonna run out of food. I don't think that's gonna happen. I think the run we saw is about done and we'll have adequate supplies all the way through.

Or am I wrong?

Great question. I was wondering the same. For now, I'm going to restock piecemeal from Amazon. Shipping dates on some things are weeks out, but if you order now, then you'll have it when you need it. Hopefully the demand will subside somewhat and a real grocery run will be feasible.

Edit: amazon is pretty picked over. The stuff I'm getting is in the category of "calories to keep you alive"--trail mix, protein bars, etc. I'll need to find a way to get real food sooner or later.

All you people hoarding food are part of the problem. Toilet paper is not going away. It’s paper and get produced 24/7 based on annual demands. This pandemic isn’t causing you to shit more. Your tap water is fine, stop buying bottled it’s not a hurricane. Grocery store food gets delivered based on perishable versus non perishable. The supply chain works as long as people are reasonable. Order your weeks groceries curbside if you don’t want to go in. Don’t grab a months worth and prevent someone else from getting theirs. Care about everyone not just you and yours.

That said if you’re willing to eat MREs and go off the grid more power to you. Leave me to have normal food amounts at my house.

• Like 2

Didn't mean to imply I was hoarding. We have a normal sized pantry and fridge that are stocked. Four people in our family. No hoarding of TP and I think bottled water is fucking stupid unless it's an emergency where utilities are cutoff. I also purchased small amounts over several weeks because anyone should have seen this coming.

I think most people could survive off of their pantry for a lot longer than they think if shit got real.

There's a fine line between hoarding and being responsible. I have 5 mouths to feed, including my own. I don't think it's unreasonable to have 2-3 weeks of food on hand given the circumstances. I bought basically all of that back in January, when videos of Wuhon hospitals began to circulate and there were not yet any imbalances in supply and demand. I focused on stuff that we'll eat one way or another. And now we're eating it, rather than leaving the house to shop, so I don't consider it hoarding, but minds may differ I guess.

But yeah, bulk buying tp and water is stupid.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Didn't mean to imply I was hoarding. We have a normal sized pantry and fridge that are stocked. Four people in our family. No hoarding of TP and I think bottled water is fucking stupid unless it's an emergency where utilities are cutoff. I also purchased small amounts over several weeks because anyone should have seen this coming.

I think most people could survive off of their pantry for a lot longer than they think if shit got real.

Wasn’t directed at you or anyone in particular, just wanted to chime in. If you’re just buying your normal groceries with a few extra days factored in you’re doing to right.

if you’re wanting a month or two on hand at home you’re causing panic buying. Think about who gets those supplies to your door, hourly workers at warehouse and CDL truck drivers. They start being asked to work excessive overtime at the WH and CDL drivers run over hours to keep up and that will become a real issue. FMCSA already waived HOS limits for food and medical supplies. You want joe trucker running your TP 20 hours straight?

Panic buying is a bitch because it feeds on itself. I hope this wave passes and people calm down a bit. I'm worried it will get worse once the confirmed cases and death tolls rise. At that point I assume someone would have to step in to limit your trips to the store like they did in China. Americans would love that.

6 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

There's a fine line between hoarding and being responsible. I have 5 mouths to feed, including my own. I don't think it's unreasonable to have 2-3 weeks of food on hand given the circumstances. I bought basically all of that back in January, when videos of Wuhon hospitals began to circulate and there were not yet any imbalances in supply and demand. I focused on stuff that we'll eat one way or another. And now we're eating it, rather than leaving the house to shop, so I don't consider it hoarding, but minds may differ I guess.

But yeah, bulk buying tp and water is stupid.

If you are eating your supplies and not excessively buying more to keep upping that stash and instead are just replenishing your pantry than I think you’re fine. It’s people who are acting selfishly that need to slow down.

11 minutes ago, Covri said:

Wasn’t directed at you or anyone in particular, just wanted to chime in. If you’re just buying your normal groceries with a few extra days factored in you’re doing to right.

if you’re wanting a month or two on hand at home you’re causing panic buying. Think about who gets those supplies to your door, hourly workers at warehouse and CDL truck drivers. They start being asked to work excessive overtime at the WH and CDL drivers run over hours to keep up and that will become a real issue. FMCSA already waived HOS limits for food and medical supplies. You want joe trucker running your TP 20 hours straight?

A month or 2 is not excessive.  

14 minutes ago, Parliament said:

A month or 2 is not excessive.  

That your normal ration on perishables and daily goods? You buy toilet paper when it’s not on a $5 gift card rebate at target for buying 3 months worth lol?  If you haven’t changed your normal buying habits I’m not worried about you. Do you. The lines at Costco and H-E-B suggest abnormal buying and that has to stop for the good of everyone is what I’m saying. 

Went by my local Costco this morning while running a couple of errands.  I got there at 9:38am, remembered they open at 10am on weekdays and started to leave before I noticed the doors were open and people were going in and out.  I was shocked to see that they were completely sold out of raw chicken and pork.