Surly prepper thread - virus related or not...

Wally Fairway

Thought I'd share a supplemental tactic that I think could help some folks out, both for prepping and normal life.

I'm lazy.  I value convenience over most things, as there just never seems to be enough time.  I was in search of quick meals that are a) healthy, b) fast / limited prep, and c) taste good.  I landed on HUEL, which is a pea protein based vegan meal supplement.  This shit is great (get the vanilla).  The bags store for 12 months or so, and 6 months once opened.  I have used it mostly for weight management in the past 12 months and I've enjoyed it.  Really like their new variety called "Black", which has increased protein content....so I've increased my use for my meal following a workout.  Anyhow, it dawned on me that I prefer this much more than MRE's, so I bought a few "extras" to rotate into my cycle while the apocalypse is happening.  I think it's one of those "off the radar" options.  https://huel.com/.  Not to mention it has amazing value per meal with zero waste (we throw away a ton of food in our house, which pisses me off).  Qty 17 - 400 Calorie meals per bag.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

The wife and I made a run to the HEB across from the Hill Country Galleria. Place was pretty wiped out, but the hoarding zombies were still in force. I went in for beer and left happy.

Saw Sergio Garcia and his wife in one of the bare frozen goods isles. I kid you not when I tell you that he had the same look on his face that he gets when he’s going backwards on the course. In his defense there were a lot of people with the same bewildered look, but I was amused a bit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2020 at 12:23 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

They won’t ship to me and won’t deliver since I’m 90 miles from the nearest. Biggest thing is I just spent almost a thousand on guns this week so another 800 or so for a decent sized freezer just can’t happen. 

sounds like you are set up to "acquire" a full freezer if you need to...

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but my 4yo has pneumonia and while he’s not bad enough to be hospitalized (not that we’d want to go there anyway), he’s really struggling with cough. We’d like to buy him some medicine to help with his cough and pains, but cannot because FUCKING HOARDERS. I realize this is different than “prepping”, but dammit I hate stupid people so much.  

Luckily I live in a cool neighborhood and our neighbors are helping out. 

1 minute ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but my 4yo has pneumonia and while he’s not bad enough to be hospitalized (not that we’d want to go there anyway), he’s really struggling with cough. We’d like to buy him some medicine to help with his cough and pains, but cannot because FUCKING HOARDERS. I realize this is different than “prepping”, but dammit I hate stupid people so much.  

Go to the shittier neighborhoods and check the mexican markets. The ones by me are fully stocked because the crazy ass white people don't go there.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Damn that’s a good idea. 

I went to one by me Saturday. Shelves fully stocked, plenty of produce, full meat counter, and stacks of toilet paper.

And they had people constantly cleaning all the surfaces. 

Edited by Deej

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Well I am Team Streetsweeper. If I am gonna be bleary-eyed I don't want to need to aim.

I keep the .357 loaded with alternating hollow points and shellshot. Figure squeeze off two and I'll hit something. 

• Like 1

I really don't get hoarding medicine. You won't need hundreds of Tylenol or Mucenex or whatever. You're either good on a normal amount or you're dead.
  • Like 1

I went to one by me Saturday. Shelves fully stocked, plenty of produce, full meat counter, and stacks of toilet paper.
And they had people constantly cleaning all the surfaces. 

Every time I've been in Fiesta I am borderline freaked out by how clean they are.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Parliament said:
1 hour ago, Izhmash said:
We should have the AR vs Shotgun debate.  That always goes well.

Remington 870 in the house and yard. AR15 in the pickup. .45 on my hip every waking hour.

i kindof got the itch for an old beat up Rem 870 now.  Actually, an M1A would be nice too.  Get off my lawn!

• Like 1

I don't remember what spurred me on 7-8 years ago but I have 600# of rice, 450# of beans and 50 gallons of honey when I checked the supply depot a coup,e days ago.  The chickens started laying pretty consistently again a few weeks ago, last year I gave away hundreds because 6 eggs a day adds up quickly  

Anyone have a recipe for that?   

I also rediscovered 3 cases of everclear and CVS had tons of aloe after sunburn gel so I should be able to make a little impromptu hand sanitizer

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I also rediscovered 3 cases of everclear and CVS had tons of aloe after sunburn gel so I should be able to make a little impromptu hand sanitizer

Isopropyl is 79¢ a quart. Why waste the good stuff?

19 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

get a script for whatever "buterol" your doc recommends and buy a Nebulizer, they cost $50

On 3/15/2020 at 9:57 AM, Post Oak said:

Since I've got plenty of free time I've been thinking about buying some cheap land out in maybe west Texas and building a getaway cabin.  Someplace relatively isolated.

Anyone got suggestions for an area I should look at.  I'm not crazy about the desert but I guess I could manage it.

Shit. You could buy a ranch near big bend for pennies on the dollar. But then you have to deal with vagabonds in the area.

5 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Shit. You could buy a ranch near big bend for pennies on the dollar. But then you have to deal with vagabonds in the area.

It’s a shame. That’s some of the most beautiful land in Texas. Hopefully we’ll get in under control someday and be able to enjoy it again.

/noCR

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 9:33 AM, next2naus said:

that looks fun except I'd have to listen to your drunk ramblings about the Cowboys being a good football team

just get shitfaced passed out and you don't have to listen to anything

On 3/16/2020 at 6:51 PM, Izhmash said:

We should have the AR vs Shotgun debate.  That always goes well.

Why not both - end of debate

Anyone know where you can get 9mm ammo? Cabelas has been out for a week they said. Sorry, late to the firearms race.
No clue. I stocked up on .40 s&w as the shit was starting to hit the fan. Then went back a week later to get some 00 buckshot.... And it is sold out everywhere. Every brand. Every store. Completely gone.