Surly prepper thread - virus related or not...

Wally Fairway

On 3/16/2020 at 12:08 PM, Izhmash said:

Thought I'd share a supplemental tactic that I think could help some folks out, both for prepping and normal life.

I'm lazy.  I value convenience over most things, as there just never seems to be enough time.  I was in search of quick meals that are a) healthy, b) fast / limited prep, and c) taste good.  I landed on HUEL, which is a pea protein based vegan meal supplement.  This shit is great (get the vanilla).  The bags store for 12 months or so, and 6 months once opened.  I have used it mostly for weight management in the past 12 months and I've enjoyed it.  Really like their new variety called "Black", which has increased protein content....so I've increased my use for my meal following a workout.  Anyhow, it dawned on me that I prefer this much more than MRE's, so I bought a few "extras" to rotate into my cycle while the apocalypse is happening.  I think it's one of those "off the radar" options.  https://huel.com/.  Not to mention it has amazing value per meal with zero waste (we throw away a ton of food in our house, which pisses me off).  Qty 17 - 400 Calorie meals per bag.

Enjoy!

You expect us to patronize a business whose website promotes “Black” as having LESS carbs. Come on, man. 

Yea ammo is tough sledding during stuff like this, really need to have it beforehand. You can still find range ammo online and if you are willing to buy large quantities it can be found online. I wouldn’t bother trying to find person right now unless you live in the sticks.

I stay well stocked, just in case 
Yes, after watching the panic buying following the 2008 financial crisis, I waited until inventories replenished and then stocked up when demand was lower. But I focused on handgun rounds and skimped on shotgun shells. Kicking myself for that now.

We don’t eat a lot of starchy carbs, but I have always kept a month+ of brown rice, dried beans, old-fashioned oat meal, whole grain baking mix, almond flour, and various whole grain /lentil pastas. We also keep a few weeks of potatoes (white and sweet) and plenty of canned tomato products. Then there’s always 2 months of edible flesh in my freezer and about 10,000 rounds of ammo somewhere my house.

Went by HEB at 360/bee cave and the line was about 100 people long to get in.

Went down to Randall's at bee cave/walsh tarleton and no line but busier than I have ever seen it. Several empty shelves but had a lot of staples that heb in bee cave did not have yesterday including spaghetti, ground beef, soups, sugar, flour. The bakery was open and they had rotisserie chicken which heb did not.  Did not have to wait in line to check out.

• Like 1

I do not consider myself a prepper, but I have always made sure we have >200,000 calories of non-perishable food on hand, and I have a small area of my garage reserved for emergency supplies (lifestraw, water tablets, portable still, batteries, masks, knives, camping gear, flashlights, basic medicines, etc.). I also recently installed a 100w solar system in my pool area so we can charge phones with no power.  I am also anal about making sure my gas tank never gets less than half full (not hard since I drive <300 miles a month).  I have a history of major depression which means real guns are a bad idea, so the only gun I own is a pellet gun that would be able to kill birds to eat.  In the event of a true societal collapse due to disease I figure many many firearm owners will have long been dead, so (maybe naively) I figure I can get a gun when needed.

I feel really good about being able to ride out a 2-3 month quarantine, but if the shit truly hit the fan the fact that I am in a major city with no guns and small children probably means I’m toast.

I ventured out of the house for a grocery run on Thursday evening but didnt feel like waiting in the long ass lines at both HEBs near me, so I bailed and figured I would give it another shot this weekend.

So today, I started at the Crestview Fresh Plus hoping it would have what I was looking for. There were only about 5 cars in the parking lot, but it was mostly wiped out of produce. Next I headed over to the FarWest HEB and surprisingly  there was no line. Plenty of produce which was what I was primarily looking for, but their stocking levels in general were pretty decent. I was only inside for about 15 minutes and noticed when leaving that they had started a line, so I guess it's all about timing. 

I probably bought more canned shit than necessary a couple of weeks ago (f'n Costco), because I haven't really started in on that stockpile yet. I guess that could change if it gets to be a hassle to get fresh food, but assuming supply doesnt get appreciably worse, its likely a local food bank will get a fair chunk of my tuna fish, soup and canned veggies when this finally passes. Canned food just doesnt do a lot for me when I have other options.

Edited by Blotto

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

Went by HEB at 360/bee cave and the line was about 100 people long to get in.

Went down to Randall's at bee cave/walsh tarleton and no line but busier than I have ever seen it. Several empty shelves but had a lot of staples that heb in bee cave did not have yesterday including spaghetti, ground beef, soups, sugar, flour. The bakery was open and they had rotisserie chicken which heb did not.  Did not have to wait in line to check out.

i hit my neighborhood krogers (very ghetto) last week instead of my heb a couple of neighborhoods over, exact same experience. they had everything but paper goods and cooking oil. zero lines 

Just hit up the Randalls on 183 / Braker.  Had most basics...but veggies / fruit / bread were wiped out.  Got crackers instead, so we can make some homemade “lunchables”.  

Found a quick hack for bread, if others are looking. Placed a to go order at Rudy’s....got a pound of brisket and a couple half chickens. Landed a full loaf of bread on the side...saving it for sammiches for the little man.

Where did you order your Lifestraws from? I’m a little hesitant to get something like that on amazon due to fakes and stuff. I’ve been meaning to order a handful.

Also, if the price is right, we can get a Surly Swat team together to save your food. I mean y’all.
Try their website. You might be able to buy direct from them. But I'll bet they're sold out everywhere.

On 3/16/2020 at 5:51 PM, Izhmash said:

We should have the AR vs Shotgun debate.  That always goes well.

spacer.png

20 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

... Why not both - end of debate

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

... To get any ammo at all, you have to go to one of the auction sites and bend over.

spacer.png

My buddy is a huge gardener and always trying things. They can up a buncha stuff and give away their previous year leftovers when their current year canning is done.

I've been telling him for years he needs to start making prison hooch. And mead. Local apiarians give him tons of free honey.

I really wanted to spend some time baking bread over the next week or two in case we all get locked up for a few weeks.
I have found it is completely impossible to get active dry yeast anywhere in the world right now.

I’ll check up my way. I haven’t noticed it being completely gone every time I’m at the store. If I see any, you want me to pick you some up?
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

So times like these I can’t help but notice I might own too many Weatherby’s, and not enough NATO. 

it's a balance

im noticing just about all my hand gun rounds are practice rounds. ill adjust that some after the recent run 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

NE Texas. If I see any today, I’ll get it and pm you.

Are you Jewish?

No, and I just started a loaf of white bread using some of the 2 jars of quick rise yeast that I have.  But I wouldn’t hesitate to try some soda bread or the like, should I run out. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

On 3/22/2020 at 8:26 PM, blacklab said:

I really wanted to spend some time baking bread over the next week or two in case we all get locked up for a few weeks.

I have found it is completely impossible to get active dry yeast anywhere in the world right now.

i found some at Natural Grocers - its in the refrigerated area near the alternative flours and rice and such currently if that helps. it's their brand but you get a ton of it

I've always done pretty well with planning ahead and only shopping once a week. But I'm learning I've hadta make a small run every few days for that one thing I forgot. Sugar, coffee, etc. Been an adjustment to plan better, and just live with having to drink black coffee for a few days.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I've always done pretty well with planning ahead and only shopping once a week. But I'm learning I've hadta make a small run every few days for that one thing I forgot. Sugar, coffee, etc. Been an adjustment to plan better, and just live with having to drink black coffee for a few days.

I already made the move to black coffee. Main reason is keep the milk for morning cereal for the kid. Also glad with my prep. Have a third person with us and no impact so far. 

Had to work an overnight shift to fill in for a guy. When I got off work I decided to stop by Walmart and grab a couple things (Cokes, lunch meat). Get there and forgot they aren't open 24 hrs now. Had to stand in line for 30 min (social distancing was being observed and it felt pretty creepy all I could think of was Soviet breadlines). I was one of the first 20 or so in the door and thought, wth let's check the paper aisle, so I just followed everyone in front of me. Lo and behold they had 1 pallet of Scott's 20 roll tp and 1 pallet of Bounty 8 roll. I grabbed 1 of each. By the time I got the rest of my stuff and walked back by the paper aisle was Death Valley.  

On 3/30/2020 at 12:58 PM, Paco said:

I also made the move to black coffee. 30 years ago. Because I'm a man.

Roger that.  I remember in grad school working at a hotel when I was on the road.  Late night.  Shitty hotel coffee machine in the room didn't work and the "hot" water was lukewarm, so I packed my lower lip ala Copie long cut.  Not my finest hour......

Anyone else have lessons learned :

1. More dry foods. Vacuum seal into smaller portions.

2. More hand gun personal defense rounds

3. Keep hard copy financial info in a to go box

4. More cash on hand 

5. Some type of hand held radio and/scanner (with extra batteries)

6. Another propane tank

9. 9mm carbine / pistol type (glock friendly) maybe a smaller 12 ga shotgun

if supply chains and/or interstate travel were to be shut down for 7 days, we would have extreme panic and rioting. Grocery stores would be wiped out day 1. A higher death rate would lead to a more extreme lock down, much more civil discourse 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1