The Masters Tournament 2020

heso

Didn't they purchase more land from the Augusta Country Club so they could move the tee box back?  I think they want to make that second shot more risk reward like it used to be 20-30 years ago. 

Yep, they did a lot of construction back there over the winter, built an access road around the back, etc.

Augusta country club moved that whole hole from one side of the cart path to the other where all of those trees used to be.

c7debf529c8d0749510d633811f8e1bf.jpg

40 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Tickets have dropped about $800 on secondary market.

Positive of Wu-Flu.

Assuming the tournament isn't affected.

From what I’ve seen, each day is off around 40% from their typical peak the last couple years, with 15-20% of that coming in the last 4-5 days. 

They are currently in line with what prices have been at in late summer/early fall which seems the be the low point. 

Edited by heso

4 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I’m going for the first time. Have Tuesday practice round tickets and going to try to get tickets for Thursday. Any tips for doing that? Wait until closer to the tournament?

This year is not like other years. How do you feel about the possibility of spending $1300 on Thursday and it being canceled? Might depend on stubhubs policy on canceled events. If you get your money back if the even gets canceled, the current price of $1375 for Thursday is the cheapest it’s been in years. I expect that price to trend downward for at least a week or two as more people freak out. If you can get Thursday for under or close to $1000 with a refund if the event is canceled, that would be hard to pass up.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

The 2020 Masters will not be cancelled. ANGC is run by reasonably intelligent guys.

I’m 99% sure that they will still have the tournament. I’m significantly less confident it will have patrons. 

• Like 3

On 3/7/2020 at 8:54 AM, HouTex said:

The 2020 Masters will not be cancelled. ANGC is run by reasonably intelligent guys.

Very rich and powerful people who have their own team of scientists who have already developed the antivirus. Strictly hush hush and for the members and players only. 

On 3/7/2020 at 10:41 AM, heso said:

I’m 99% sure that they will still have the tournament. I’m significantly less confident it will have patrons. 

4 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Since I haven’t done this before, tickets for Thursday around 1k each is going to be a steal? Was hoping to get them around 600 each but that must have been a dream. 

That would be my concern if I was looking at dropping money on tickets that are coming from channels where you ain't getting a refund, RockyMountain

10 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Yeah and of course the one year I win the ticket lottery, doomsday effin hits. Unreal. Hopefully them georgians will find a cure for this darn thing-maybe it’s squirrel and moonshine. Save the masters!

I’m hoping they either postpone it until the fall, or if the host it without patrons that they let this year’s lotto winners rebuy for next year. 

Sounds like they are going to have it without Patrons. 

Just got a text from an Augusta National member: “I believe the tournament will be played. Discussions are ongoing. Limiting patrons seems likely. Might be none at all. Closing practice rounds, canceling the Par-3...everything is on the table. Expect an announcement next week.”

I'm actually pretty sad golf got cancelled. Feels like a slim chance Masters will go on now. I was hoping for there to be some kind of sports on TV to distract myself from the anxiety and uncertainty this whole thing is going to cause me. And this is the time of year when I really start to watch everything every weekend. 

Stay safe everyone and listen to what the fuck people tell you. Let's hunker down and let this shit blow over and keep living our lives. 

9 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Potentially moving to September?     Some golf guys on twitter saying the conditions then would play similarly to April.  Would be weird but pretty awesome though to get the Masters as a back-to-back Major, roughly 6 months apart.

I want to see how ANC does their magic and has the azaleas bloom in September,

This - the postponement, is maybe the most disappointing news so far; that it is only a postponement gives me some hope

It will be really interesting to see how they pull it off if they move it to the fall. 

Augusta National’s primary turfgrass is bermuda. During the hot and humid Georgia summer, bermudagrass covers the landscape because of its heat tolerance characteristics (amongst other reasons). In the Fall as the nights become cooler, the bermudagrass goes dormant, stops growing, and turns brown. Once the weather patterns are desirable to grow cool season grasses, the bermudagrass is scalped down from tee to green to almost nothing. The scalping process can be quite aggressive depending on the bermuda’s health. It is very labor intensive and requires an incredible amount of resource inputs. Once the bermuda has been scalped, perennial ryegrass seed is laid out from wall-to-wall using calibrated spreaders that ensure all areas receive enough ryegrass seed to promote a dense and uniform turf canopy. In my personal experience in overseeding, we have used more than a million gallons of water per day to establish germination, matched with a fertilization program that can cost up to $10,000 per application in product alone (both statistics I have a hard time advocating, rationalizing, and standing behind). From the time the ryegrass seed is spread to the time you can re-open the golf course to play may be from 4-6 weeks depending on environmental and growth conditions. 

https://nolayingup.com/2018/04/06/masters-agronomic-summary/

I'm crushed.  I just played Tour 18 in Houston yesterday and my thoughts turned to Augusta as we played Amen Corner.  The Azaleas were blooming on the course, so it was cool to play it like that even if it is only .5% of what he real Augusta is.  I figured they would play it without spectators and just test everyone that would be need to run the tourney and broadcast it.  Now I really have nothing at all to look forward to for the next several months.  It makes me wonder if we get he very first all remote NFL Draft at the beginning on May. 

On 3/7/2020 at 8:54 AM, HouTex said:

Lol.  Looks like some of them believe in science. March Madness would have just postponed also if logistics allowed.  The Masters, obviously, can host the tourney whenever they want, weather permitting.  Just not safe right now.  

It will be really interesting to see how they pull it off if they move it to the fall. 

Augusta National’s primary turfgrass is bermuda. During the hot and humid Georgia summer, bermudagrass covers the landscape because of its heat tolerance characteristics (amongst other reasons). In the Fall as the nights become cooler, the bermudagrass goes dormant, stops growing, and turns brown. Once the weather patterns are desirable to grow cool season grasses, the bermudagrass is scalped down from tee to green to almost nothing. The scalping process can be quite aggressive depending on the bermuda’s health. It is very labor intensive and requires an incredible amount of resource inputs. Once the bermuda has been scalped, perennial ryegrass seed is laid out from wall-to-wall using calibrated spreaders that ensure all areas receive enough ryegrass seed to promote a dense and uniform turf canopy. In my personal experience in overseeding, we have used more than a million gallons of water per day to establish germination, matched with a fertilization program that can cost up to $10,000 per application in product alone (both statistics I have a hard time advocating, rationalizing, and standing behind). From the time the ryegrass seed is spread to the time you can re-open the golf course to play may be from 4-6 weeks depending on environmental and growth conditions. 

https://nolayingup.com/2018/04/06/masters-agronomic-summary/

Assuming they play it before the Ryder Cup the Bermuda grass will be fine. It will not be the dark green we are used to—Bermuda just isn’t that dark, but it will be fine from a player’s perspective.

39 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  Looks like some of them believe in science. March Madness would have just postponed also if logistics allowed.  The Masters, obviously, can host the tourney whenever they want, weather permitting.  Just not safe right now.  

Nonsense.  This is way overblown.  The virus has been in this country for at least two months.  Yet only around 40 deaths so far and most of those are from one facility in Wash. State.  No one under 50 in this country has died from this thing so far.  The Masters and pretty much everyone in the country is in a mass hysteria. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Nonsense.  This is way overblown.  The virus has been in this country for at least two months.  Yet only around 40 deaths so far and most of those are from one facility in Wash. State.  No one under 50 in this country has died from this thing so far.  The Masters and pretty much everyone in the country is in a mass hysteria. 

This will look completely ridiculous in a matter of weeks. Check out the stats from Italy. Do you somehow think we’ll fare better?

Sorry everyone. I finally won tickets in the lottery this year, so this whole thing is probably my fault. Planned to go to the Monday practice round then spend a few days golfing and eating in Charleston. Now trying to decide if I want to still go to Charleston.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

16 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This will look completely ridiculous in a matter of weeks. Check out the stats from Italy. Do you somehow think we’ll fare better?

If we handle it well and flatten the curve with social distancing he may be right.  

If we went on with massive crowds at sporting events etc  it would have most certainly been a disaster.  It’s science people.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If we handle it well and flatten the curve with social distancing he may be right.  

If we went on with massive crowds at sporting events etc  it would have most certainly been a disaster.  It’s science people.   

Good luck, fighting the good fight.

20 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If we handle it well and it’s not a disaster, people like houtex will see that as proof that it was much ado about nothing. There is no winning the fight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If we handle it well and it’s not a disaster, people like houtex will see that as proof that it was much ado about nothing. There is no winning the fight. 

Oh I know that, but on this one I’m ok with dumbasses like that claiming the high ground while we saved, literally, a few hundred thousand lives.  

• Like 1