Greyhound. Tom Hanks takes on German U boats

Parliament

17 minutes ago, Parliament said:

He fought Germans in France, East Germans in the Cold War, Communists in Vietnam. A volcano, homophobia, Russians in Afganistan. And now he has to dodge German torpedoes in the North Atlantic. Can't this guy catch a break?

Won't someone think of the Somalis?

I saw the preview earlier today and yeah I am definitely ready to see this one.

When I was a kid, I remember talking to some of the older relatives who served in WWII and wondering which branch would have been worse to serve in during WWII. I figured being in the Navy during WWII would have been the last place I would want to be.

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

When I was a kid, I remember talking to some of the older relatives who served in WWII and wondering which branch would have been worse to serve in during WWII. I figured being in the Navy during WWII would have been the last place I would want to be.

Navy ate shit. Marines ate shit at least in the pacific. Army ate shit for a while in France. Bombers ate shit. There wasn’t a good choice, except maybe non fighting role far back from the action. 

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

As opposed to being an island hopping Marine, or tank occupant ?

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

Yeah, definitely. The idea that your escape route was jumping into the ocean really freaked me out as a kid.

Yeah they all had their bad moments.  My grandfather was on the Lex his brother in law was on the Yorktown.  They both had a few stories they'd tell, but not often.

• Like 2

My Dad served on a subchaser in the Atlantic before getting transferred to the Pac. Never made any convoys, but said they had a kill off the coast of Virginia in '43. At least they counted it as one. All they found was an oil slick and some debris.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

25 percent of the submarine force during WW2 are still on eternal patrol

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well he wasn't able to stop the mob from gunnning down his wife, and kid. So there's that.

Too soon man, too soon.  Bad form, their bodies aren't even cold yet.  

Something changed that man in 1993.  I blame "Sleepless in Seattle" and "Philadelphia"...

He starts out as one of the top 5 comedic talents of the 1980s---Splash, Bachelor Party, Volunteers, The Money Pit, Big, Punchline, The 'Burbs, and Joe Versus the Volcano, etc.

And then 1993 happened and he got all sappy and serious.  Obviously he's a great actor with great range, but I feel like we got robbed of more great comedic roles after '93.  

But I guess if he hadn't gotten all serious, we wouldn't have gotten Band of Brothers, or Greyhound.  so I guess it's fair.  

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Navy ate shit. Marines ate shit at least in the pacific. Army ate shit for a while in France. Bombers ate shit. There wasn’t a good choice, except maybe non fighting role far back from the action. 

My Dad served on a destroyer from 1943 to 1945 in the PTO.

Pros:

Good food

Decent dry bed

Change clothes and shower regularly

Minimal hand-to-hand combat and up-close death

Cons:

Great Typhoon

Kamikazes

14-18" projectiles from enemy vessels (odds were slim, but just took one)

Torpedos (somewhat minimal in later war and destroyers small and fast)

No place to go/hide when the shit starts

The submarine service had a different set.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

He starts out as one of the top 5 comedic talents of the 1980s---Splash, Bachelor Party, Volunteers, The Money Pit, Big, Punchline, The 'Burbs, and Joe Versus the Volcano, etc.

he was also fucking hilarious in league of their own.  one of his best performances, imo.

• Like 4

He was the highlight of that movie, I was just going from 80’s films.  He’s certainly had plenty of funny roles since the 80’s but his run back then was insanely hilarious.  

You’re right though, the line of demarcation was somewhere between ‘nothing in common’ and ‘a league of their own’ where he fully revolves as an actor.  The role is so great because Hanks is only about 35 at the time but he plays the salty has-been with wit and adult angst so brilliantly. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

he was also fucking hilarious in league of their own.  one of his best performances, imo.

Mr. Dugan?
Yeah?
Could you sign my baseball?
Sure. There.
"Avoid the clap. Jimmy Dugan."
That's good advice!

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

He was the highlight of that movie, I was just going from 80’s films.  He’s certainly had plenty of funny roles since the 80’s but his run back then was insanely hilarious.  

right.  i think that still counts (1992) because it's before his "more serious roles" in 1993 (sleepless, philadelphia).

also, whomever brought up nothing in common, that movie fucks.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

You’re right though, the line of demarcation was somewhere between ‘nothing in common’ and ‘a league of their own’ where he fully revolves as an actor.  The role is so great because Hanks is only about 35 at the time but he plays the salty has-been with wit and adult angst so brilliantly. 

Big was the turning point.  He was nominated for Best Actor for it and it showed he had dramatic chops.

I appreciate the range.  There aren't man of those guys who can start in comedy and shift to being successful in dramatic roles.   Robin Williams did very well.  Steve Martin kind of.  Carrey, Sandler and Ferrell could, but never really got the credit.