Greyhound. Tom Hanks takes on German U boats

Parliament

47 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Big was the turning point.  He was nominated for Best Actor for it and it showed he had dramatic chops.

punchline was that same year.  that shit was pretty dark.

he'll always have the ability to be funny.  even in his later, more dramatic roles, there's always a hint of comedy.  there aren't many actors that are still doing straight comedy into their 50's and beyond.  bill murray maybe.  steve martin too i guess.

in road to perdition (which i watch every time it's on), his kid is asking about his share of the bank robberies.  and they go back and forth and settle on $200.  and the kid says, "could i have gotten more?"  to which hanks replies, "you'll never know."

i laugh every time.

he's also funny in all the toy story movies, though voice work is different.  it's still not easy.

If you want underrated Tom Hanks, Nothing In Common with Jackie Gleason was pretty great. Plus, you get in her youth Sela Ward. 

Ha, I'm catching up on this thread. Seems it was already referenced. 

Edited by mdmost

Not so much about Hanks (who , like Duval, can do about anything), but I have one bugaboo about Destroyer/submarine movies.  There were two types of depth charges on Allied ships.  The earlier ones looked like 55 gallon drums and were rolled from racks off the stern of sub-chasers.  As i understand it, they were detonated at a set depth (probably on a pressure basis). They always went off and did not have to hit a sub's hull to explode.  The second, later, type of depth charge was much smaller and nicknamed a hedgehog. There were fired into the air by a small rocket to the side of the sub-chaser.  The rocket apparatus would come off and the depth charge would sink and explode only if it hit something solid-like the hull of a sub.

Movies always seem to confuse the two.  They will show a hedgehog being fired off the side, then and explosion right in the wake of the chaser.  This is followed by no claim of a hit.  There may have been some films where they rolled one off the stern and it explodes well to the side of the wake.  This is all  picky and may simply depend on what film the producers got from the U.S. Navy

With the level of detail Hanks shows in his films (in SPR, the M-1's, BARs, Thompson's, and Springfield's all sounded like they were supposed to sound), I have real hopes they will get this detail right.

4 hours ago, Macanudo said:

That Thing You Do is a really sly comedic role for him.  Steve Zahn is the band's comic relief but Hanks has some outstanding lines and scenes.

The extended cut of TTYD has some really funny scenes

On 3/5/2020 at 8:45 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Navy ate shit. Marines ate shit at least in the pacific. Army ate shit for a while in France. Bombers ate shit. There wasn’t a good choice, except maybe non fighting role far back from the action. 

All things considered, being infantry in the European theater post D-Day was probably the least horrible "fighting" spot.  I mean, it's all war and all war sucks, but Battle of the Bulge aside, the infantry units in Europe had mostly halfway decent weather and at least had a "fall back" area where they could get some relief from constant battle, unlike the Marines or Navy in the Pacific.  

The bombers of the 8th Air Force in Europe were interesting because they probably had it worse than anyone in the 1941-44 time frame, but once air superiority was achieved, they had it pretty good (relatively speaking of course).

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, idahorn said:

Not so much about Hanks (who , like Duval, can do about anything), but I have one bugaboo about Destroyer/submarine movies.  There were two types of depth charges on Allied ships.  The earlier ones looked like 55 gallon drums and were rolled from racks off the stern of sub-chasers.  As i understand it, they were detonated at a set depth (probably on a pressure basis). They always went off and did not have to hit a sub's hull to explode.  The second, later, type of depth charge was much smaller and nicknamed a hedgehog. There were fired into the air by a small rocket to the side of the sub-chaser.  The rocket apparatus would come off and the depth charge would sink and explode only if it hit something solid-like the hull of a sub.

Movies always seem to confuse the two.  They will show a hedgehog being fired off the side, then and explosion right in the wake of the chaser.  This is followed by no claim of a hit.  There may have been some films where they rolled one off the stern and it explodes well to the side of the wake.  This is all  picky and may simply depend on what film the producers got from the U.S. Navy

With the level of detail Hanks shows in his films (in SPR, the M-1's, BARs, Thompson's, and Springfield's all sounded like they were supposed to sound), I have real hopes they will get this detail right.

Correction.

The "55-gallon drums" were deployed two ways, from a rack at the stern or occasionally over the gunwale of a ship; or by a "K-gun" or projector that shot the drum using a T or K shaped carrier that fit in the barrel of the gun.

A hedgehog was a mostly British thing, but we used it too.  It shot an array of small charges that were intended to "bracket" a submarine and explode simultaneously at a set depth or by magnetic "proximity fuse," or by contact.

Rack:

800px-USS_Cassin_Young_depth_charges.jpg

K-gun

kgun_1_s.jpg

Hedgehog

Hedgehog_anti-submarine_mortar.jpg

In any event, the larger depth charge would almost always explode astern of the vessel due to the forward velocity.  And a K-gun could be aimed astern as well as abeam.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, idahorn said:

Hedgehogs fired forward, not to the side, and indeed needed contact to explode. These could be fired before a sonar contact was lost when the ship went over the sub.

There were also throwers for normal depth charges that threw them off to the side, I think these were called K-Guns. These were normal depth charges that exploded based on depth/pressure.

25 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Yeah, I enjoyed it. I was surprised it's only 90 minutes.

It definitely got to the point quickly. It’s like all the build up and storytelling on the front end was eliminated and you just jumped right in. Still liked it, it was just different than a lot of these type movies.

My daughter and I just finished it.   I signed up Apple TV just so I could watch it and when I did I found out I had a free year because I just bought a new iPhone.  We liked it a lot.  It was much more intense than I was expecting.  I’m going to have to watch it again and count the ships that got sunk, it sure seemed like more than the 7 that he reported.  Hanks was great as usual.  Since I got a free year we’re going to go ahead and watch the commies land on the moon.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

23 hours ago, Halohal said:

APB...

Dropped on Disney+. Watching...

Thanks for heads up.  A non-chick flick for which  I can get credit for watching with the ole lady.

Wait, what?   Greyhound is not on Apple+?

that was the whole reason my wife talked to her sister this morning, to get he login details for disney+