Greyhound. Tom Hanks takes on German U boats

Parliament

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wait, what?   Greyhound is not on Apple+?

that was the whole reason my wife talked to her sister this morning, to get he login details for disney+

They are two entirely different services. Greyhound is solely on Apple TV+. If you have purchased a new Apple product recently you might have a free year. 

Shit.  I don't know why I thought it was on Disney +  

Alright, time to get a german U-boat alumni to hack into that service for me.  

Gehe Zur Kriegsmarine!  

Just finished. I liked it but was a little like "oh.. ok that's it" after the final battle scene. Slightly anticlimactic but still good.

That is what I liked. The big bad wasn’t some boss level fight and wasn’t even the final.
  • Like 2

"What's "air cover?""

"What's starboard?" 

"Why are they going to port and they're in the middle of the ocean?"

Lolz.  and her son is in the Navy.   The questions were as entertaining as the movie.

17 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I found the sound editing poor.  The background music muddled the dialog at some points.  But, I enjoyed it.

Why were his feet bleeding?

Yes there was a part where the sound didn't match the mouth movement.  I thought is was a mistake at first then I thought it was done to highlight fatigue.   Dress shoes all day long, blisters, etc.  

21 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I found the sound editing poor.  The background music muddled the dialog at some points.  But, I enjoyed it.

Why were his feet bleeding?

he was on the bridge/ on duty for the entire 30 hours across the "Black Pit."  If you recall, his mess attendant was concerned because he hadn't eaten either.

On 7/12/2020 at 10:31 AM, Nivek said:

Yes there was a part where the sound didn't match the mouth movement.  I thought is was a mistake at first then I thought it was done to highlight fatigue.  

It was noticeable enough I thought my stream had lagged.  But it didn't last that long.

Still annoyed me.  Like how was that not caught? 

On 6/14/2020 at 1:39 PM, Nivek said:

Now i need to find the old game wolfpack

Scratch that itch - newer version

https://store.steampowered.com/app/490920/Wolfpack/

- 2019, good reviews https://store.steampowered.com/app/494840/UBOAT/

- 2008 https://store.steampowered.com/app/15210/Silent_Hunter_III/

VR Game with overwhelmingly positive reviews

https://store.steampowered.com/app/552080/IronWolf_VR/

And this is coming out next year

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1272010/Destroyer_The_UBoat_Hunter/

• Like 1

Just watched it on Couchtuner. Massive CGI as expected, but it was done well. Watched Hanks on Colbert last night and he said they filmed on the USS Kidd in Memphis for 4 days and the rest was shot on a soundstage in Nawlins. His son plays the daytime Sonarman. Noticed Hanks also wrote the screenplay. I'm a Hanks geek and there's not much he does that I don't love. This was no exception.

On 7/17/2020 at 3:59 AM, RPM said:

Lots of info about the ships in this reddit

Fucked up thing.  The British believed that a ship should be fought from an open bridge, meaning not enclosed at all.  They also avoided closed gun turrets for a long time on destroyers.  Ours had just splinter shields on the front for a good while, but turrets were enclosed by WWII.

So that meant on North Atlantic convoy duty, and elsewhere in the Royal Navy AO, British crews had to deice both the bridge/con and gun turrets.

rn02.jpg 

The destroyer in the movie looks to be a Fletcher class, which was technically feasible in 1942, but unlikely.  A Gleaves or Benson class more likely, from an accuracy perspective, possibly something even older.

The Fletcher was a "flush" deck, while Benson and Gleaves had a raised foredeck.

Apparently, I am correct as the USS Kidd, one of several surviving Fletcher class destroyers around, was used for the film.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2020/07/11/for-his-naval-epic-greyhound-tom-hanks-cast-americas-last-world-war-ii-destroyer/#3e67d8673339

Also, I see that it's based on The Good Shepherd, which is a pretty good book.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 7/12/2020 at 10:50 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The one thing I didn’t like was at the end of the crossing when they sank the Greywolf. What kind of Uboat captain is goring to duke it out with two surface warships on the surface. It was like he just said fuck it I’m going out in a blaze of glory.

They said in the movie that depth charges messed up her ballast/she couldn’t dive. Only choice was a surface fight. 

I appreciated the psy ops of the radio transmissions. 

On 7/12/2020 at 11:50 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The one thing I didn’t like was at the end of the crossing when they sank the Greywolf. What kind of Uboat captain is goring to duke it out with two surface warships on the surface. It was like he just said fuck it I’m going out in a blaze of glory.

What Pato said. Dicky (?) damaged the sub and forced it to surface. Greywolf knew it was fooked and it's only chance was to stay under their guns and plink away. Worked for a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, Parliament said:

He fought Germans in France, East Germans in the Cold War, Communists in Vietnam. A volcano, homophobia, Russians in Afganistan. And now he has to dodge German torpedoes in the North Atlantic. Can't this guy catch a break?

Hell’s bells, man-Forrest earned the Medal of Honor in Vietnam.

Edited by bmbmd

On 3/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, Parliament said:

He fought Germans in France, East Germans in the Cold War, Communists in Vietnam. A volcano, homophobia, Russians in Afganistan. And now he has to dodge German torpedoes in the North Atlantic. Can't this guy catch a break?

Did you forget about the Somalis?

On 7/24/2020 at 11:18 AM, kevwun said:

Is this going to end up on Netflix, Amazon and/or HBO eventually or does Apple have exclusive rights to it going forward?

Rumor has it that it's on Couchtunerhttps://free-couchtuner.com/movie/greyhound/zMK8l41r/TgxrZXpe along with Hamilton and a shitload of other stuff. Stream, don't d/l. If you use Amazon Fire and their Silk browser it will skip the built in commercials. You still have to manually X out the ads at the start. That's what rumors say.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 8:22 PM, Buzzrock said:

I guess... ze Germans finally got here

LOL well done.  I was going to say... Stephen Graham is always great, and his greatest role in, without a doubt, Tommy.

"The human digestive system hasn't got used to dairy products yet..."

As for Greyhound, we watched the other night... didn't break any ground but was definitely and enjoyable watch. 

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

didn't break any ground but was definitely and enjoyable watch. 

It was the least rewrite of WW2 history in quite a while. Pearl Harbor and Midway really screwed the pooch. This gave a fairly accurate account of a convoy crossing without cramming unbelievable related events to advance an agenda like Pearl Harbor and Midway did. 

If it's PlayTone, I'm in.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/12/2020 at 10:22 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

This felt rushed. Like they had a week to do all shooting and editing.  

It isn’t bad but it’s very forgettable. 

this is simple and perfectly articulated.  exactly how i felt about it.

On 8/4/2020 at 5:51 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I know the director . . . how am I supposed to watch this thing?  I'm on DirecTV with most of the premiums, but I haven't ever cut the cord (big house, 4 TVs, never made sense).

It's on Apple+, so you either need an Apple TV or a new(ish) smart TV that has the built-in Apple TV app.

I listened to Hanks on Conan O'Brien's podcast. Very good listen. He said he stumbled across the book in an old NY bookstore and was fascinated by the artwork on the cover. That was the only reason he picked it up. Spent over 4 years boiling down the procedural novel into a screenplay then fought with other producers to get more actors to represent the different duty watches for accuracy. They asked him if he understood what kind of scheduling nightmare that would be with 4 sets of 8 actors. He got 2 sets, day and night.

"It was a small budget WWII movie we shot for only $50MM."

Edited by RPM

5 hours ago, RPM said:

I listened to Hanks on Conan O'Brien's podcast. Very good listen. He said he stumbled across the book in an old NY bookstore and was fascinated by the artwork on the cover. That was the only reason he picked it up. Spent over 4 years boiling down the procedural novel into a screenplay then fought with other producers to get more actors to represent the different duty watches for accuracy. They asked him if he understood what kind of scheduling nightmare that would be with 4 sets of 8 actors. He got 2 sets, day and night.

"It was a small budget WWII movie we shot for only $50MM."

GoodShepherd.jpg

42748909._SY475_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 3:39 PM, RPM said:

It was the least rewrite of WW2 history in quite a while. Pearl Harbor and Midway really screwed the pooch. This gave a fairly accurate account of a convoy crossing without cramming unbelievable related events to advance an agenda like Pearl Harbor and Midway did. 

If it's PlayTone, I'm in.

Despite being gratuitous with CGI Midway is actually pretty accurate on a high level. In fact the script had a disclaimer that said “everything in here that sounds like Hollywood bullshit actually happened”

• Like 1

Really oddball thing.  The captain of my Dad's destroyer in WWII, LCDR J.D.P. Hodapp, became good friends with Forester and became his "literary executor."  My Dad remained friendly and corresponded with Hodapp for the remainder of their lives and picked up a copy of The Good Shepherd many years ago, so I had an entre into Forester at an early-ish age.

24 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Despite being gratuitous with CGI Midway is actually pretty accurate on a high level. In fact the script had a disclaimer that said “everything in here that sounds like Hollywood bullshit actually happened”

I haven't seen the reboot, but the original was lifted from Victory At Sea by Walter Lord.  Great book, very accessible and accurate.