Devs

52-80

nuff said?  I had to go to imdb to figure out what Devs and Alex Garland are, so I think not.  Though, watching that trailer, this does not appear to be something I would be in to.  Looks kind of boring.  So maybe it was 'nuff for people into this genre.  

3 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

nuff said?  I had to go to imdb to figure out what Devs and Alex Garland are, so I think not.  Though, watching that trailer, this does not appear to be something I would be in to.  Looks kind of boring.  So maybe it was 'nuff for people into this genre.  

Do some drugs, watch anything by Alex Garland, ?, profit.

6 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Ex Machina and Annihilation were both badass

What in the flying fuckall was that fight at the end of Ep2? The Russian cuts the Security guy's hand, then they have a bizarre, fake looking choke/slapfight.

In the final scene, the Russian is choking the Security guy and they fall on the ground. It looks like the Security guy breaks the Russians arm and the Russian dies? Wtf

Rewatched that scene.  When they fell back, basically Anton got KO'ed knocking his head against the wall.  And then yeah got his arm snapped which somehow put it over the top.

The crucification projection was wild

On 3/17/2020 at 6:09 PM, 52-80 said:

I still can't tell if that little programmer nerd (in the room with the day black guy) is a boy or girl

I don't know about the show but the actress is female.

This show makes me feel like shit, but it's really good.

Been interested in this for a while, being a fan of Garland's work. Finally binged it and caught up last weekend. Did not disappoint.

Going back to Sunshine, the music/scores in Garland's films have been really good. Really digging the score and the sound design as well as the visuals. I am obsessed with that giant Amaya statue. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Alex Garland. The willing suspension of disbelief required to believe in a short, 160lb, 66 year old terrifying ninja security chief badass is just too much. Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher was about 10000x more realistic.

And Allison Pill continues to be really, really fugly.

Please correct these things for you next project Alex.

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

I really like Alex Garland. The willing suspension of disbelief required to believe in a short, 160lb, 66 year old terrifying ninja security chief badass is just too much. Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher was about 10000x more realistic.

well, he was ex CIA, presumably field-agent.  and the only physical battle he had was with KGB/FSB/Russo handler which was an old-mans struggle. 

but yeah it is a bit Liam Neesons

The scene in episode 6 between Lily and Katie was pretty hard to swallow. I really did not like the way the show attempted to explain Devs to Lily as if she was a child. Plus Lily struggling to comprehend the concept of a deterministic universe and the lack of randomness was odd considering her previous comments. It didn't match the previous conversation she had in episode 1 with Sergei regarding encryption where Lily confidently portrayed herself as an expert in encryption. The struggle in cryptography is attempting to emulate randomness while avoiding predictably, Lily would have been more than familiar with the concepts of a deterministic universe and lack of true randomness, she shouldn't have struggled to comprehend what Katie was explaining.

Speaking of Katie, why is she portrayed as some creepy tech cult high priestess with a unique understanding of the universe? She is essentially a physicalist which is a fairly common view held by a lot of people.

Forest is somewhat of an interesting character but comes off a bit too damaged. While I appreciate the concept of his quest to figure out moral responsibility his traumatic background doesn't seem like a good reason for this quest. Maybe if he had been drunk driving and caused the car crash but what happened with his wife on the phone doesn't seem to justify his guilt.

The homeless observer is an interesting character, he is always watching from the sidewalk and occasionally offers information and at one point it appeared he would intervene but didn't.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The show became a little more interesting after last night's episode. It seems we are heading into a 13th Floor/Matrix storyline which would be cool if there were less melancholic characters coping with existential anxiety.

Maybe add some cyberpunk characters that tear shit up with Rage Against The Machine playing in the background.

spacer.png

Wow, that garotting was unexpected. 

So the powerful, murderous head of your company tells you that you're going to be somewhere the next night and your plan to thwart him is to just hang out at home?

I liked that poem and I also did not recognize it.  It was Phillip Larkin.

Edited by WBT

On 4/2/2020 at 12:28 AM, rage-a-holic said:

And Allison Pill continues to be really, really fugly.

Please correct these things for you next project Alex.

If the security chief was an older 6’2” 225 ex-CIA, it would be more believable that everyone is scared of him and he can possibly kick some ass.  Instead he looks like the appliance mgr at sears. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Feels like one of those finales where my initial reaction is to type ghey. But if I keep thinking on it, I'll appreciate it more. And I am still thinking about it which is good I guess.

Not great but made for solid B television. The show started out strong and well-paced, dragged in the middle, and gained steam again for the home stretch. Still unsure about the ending. Feels like this was a movie idea that Garland struggled a bit to expand on. Still liked the tone, music/sound design, production design, and the giant statue.