custom beef

Errestaurants

Would anyone entertain wanting a whole steer or go in partners with someone for a whole? Does that even sound interesting to any of you? not trying to sale anything to you dicks just wondering if there is a market for that. Meaning you tell me what you want and how you want it fed--hot or grass. You can be involved through the process--meaning you can come to my ranch and see the steer through the process, I tag it with your name.  You pick how its processed and pick up the meat or I'll deliver it live.  I've got Angus, Brangus, Ultra Black right now and will have red and black baldy moving forward plus the brangus.  pictures of a couple bulls and stuff

Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: outdoor

Edited by Errestaurants
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Sweet so we can name our food and pet it first!!  Jk  Sounds like awesome idea actually.  What’s the price break down?  Also can’t see your pics.

edit see the pics now

its typically about 4$ a pound into the freezer plus you pay the kill fee. that would be hot fed not grass. with grass it will take longer to get to a weight you will be happy with so the longer it stays on my property the more that can go wrong and it takes more time and pasture for other animals. also these would no hormone or antibiotic animals---all natural but not organic. 

It's something I might be interested in.  A nurse and a  rep I know in McKinney split a half grass-fed cow but I think they're paying roughly $4/pound or so (I could be wrong).  My main issue with their product was that the steak was cut super thing.  Ain't about that.

I had started a thread on shaggy looking into this and got some good leads from posters, but never followed through beyond buying a few samplers to test quality before I went out to fill a full freezer. Can you provide any pictures of the meat/steaks off animals you've butchered recently? Do you hit up any farmers markets or have a sample pack of ground with a couple steaks for sale? Will you price based on hanging weight or post-processed weight?  What does all that stuff in your post mean.  Can you give us an education on the differences between angus, brangus, black, hot, grass, grass finished vs grass fed, etc.  Who is your butcher? Do you have a sample cut sheet for from your butcher?  

On 4/11/2018 at 8:46 PM, Errestaurants said:

im willing to feed hot--and you can tell me the inputs you want---corn chop-sweet feed--bull maker-cotten seed-i can do a proprietary also.  I can also do grass fed. we make all of our own hay also. 

yeah, what does all this mean? Both, like, what does it mean, and what is the impact on the meat ultimately?

all great questions. Feeding Hot is grain, like corn chop or using a blend like beef maker or sometimes a blend I use made by the feed store in Malakoff. Finishing on grain will get the steer to weight faster and in my opinion has a sweeter taste. Of course grass fed is just that. grass fed costs more due to needing to stay on the farm longer to get to weight. takes up pasture and the the longer an animal is alive the risk of something happening is greater. I like both grass fed and grain but probably prefer the taste of grain fed. 

I currently do not sell. just wanted to see if it was something that maybe some people would be interested in. currently we slaughter all our own meat. see my Lamb thread. if someone was interested we would figure out a processor that worked for both of us. maybe i would deliver the steer to a processor you had a relationship with.  99% of beef you eat is crossbred with some angus blood. We raise Registered Brangus but also have commercial red angus. I also have Hereford bulls to produce red and black baldy---in many peoples mind this crossbreed is the best. this is what you would want to feed grain or grass and slaughter. 

1 minute ago, RPM said:

It's like the difference between a store bought tomato and a vine ripe garden grown. There's just more flavor and the beef is usually a much better grade.

I get that, and it sounds delicious..  

What's considered home grown, and when does an operation become not home grown ?

On 4/13/2018 at 5:58 PM, Anastasis said:

I had started a thread on shaggy looking into this and got some good leads from posters, but never followed through beyond buying a few samplers to test quality before I went out to fill a full freezer. Can you provide any pictures of the meat/steaks off animals you've butchered recently? Do you hit up any farmers markets or have a sample pack of ground with a couple steaks for sale? Will you price based on hanging weight or post-processed weight?  What does all that stuff in your post mean.  Can you give us an education on the differences between angus, brangus, black, hot, grass, grass finished vs grass fed, etc.  Who is your butcher? Do you have a sample cut sheet for from your butcher?  

Still a few questions from this post that you haven't answered.  Also, what is the kill fee ($ amount)?  I really am quite interested if it can be priced out properly?  Also, what different cuts will it come with?

19 hours ago, RPM said:

Well if you or someone you know didn't raise it, probably not home grown. Everything changes once their run through a feedlot.

Got a buddy who leases land to an Angus producer.  Small operation, all free range animals I don't think he has more than 50 animals.  

18 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Still a few questions from this post that you haven't answered.  Also, what is the kill fee ($ amount)?  I really am quite interested if it can be priced out properly?  Also, what different cuts will it come with?

kill fee is typically around $60. the beef we feed out for ourselves we kill. We currently do not send our steers to a processor. that is what my picture is. that's why i posted that would have to be worked out. a lot of it depends on where someone is located and if you have a processor that you trust. All processors have a cut sheet and alot depends on 1/4, 1/2 or whole steer. processor typically hangs the animal for a couple weeks after the kill, that's the hanging weight that's probably around 700 pounds then you have final weight or what you take home into the freezer. what you take home in weight can vary, are you ordering a lot meat with bone--bone in steaks, etc or not. going to be around 4 to 5 dollars a pound with slaughter. the costs to slaughter is going to be around $500. 

9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Got a buddy who leases land to an Angus producer.  Small operation, all free range animals I don't think he has more than 50 animals.  

50 head of cattle will keep you busy. probably has 2 bulls and add another 40-45 animals on the ground once you have calves. Im pretty sure i read the average herd size in America is 30 head. less and less big operations as land becomes more expensive and lot of the large landowners can make more money with leasing hunting than they can running cattle. Also the younger generations don't want to be ranchers. for every 44 farms there are 100 types like you friend. i run around 100 give or take pasture.

On 4/15/2018 at 6:49 PM, Coyote said:

For reference, I recently spent just under $1000 for half a steer. Take home was a little over 350#. Finished on grain.

thats a good price. typically hanging weight is 6-7 hundred pounds. to get take home weight 350 for a half is impressive.