SXSW canceled

ztejas

He’s got three locations so just a lot of overhead. Always is when you run a brick and mortar restaurant in Austin. He also pays his employees good. Dude is a great guy. He has always counted on SXSW revenue as it’s always been there and been a big part of his year. His first location was off congress and then he teamed with Lavaca Street on Lavaca...so SXSW is big for him...and now it’s not for the first year in his ten years here.
But, I’m not begging y’all to go. I’m asking if you could please....and I’m also not kidding one bit...he’s got some of the best tacos and food you will have....seriously...look at his Yelp reviews. Thanks for considering a stop by in the next couple weeks.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/turf-n-surf-po-boy-austin?utm_source=ishare

Co-sign. It’s good stuff. I’ll make a point to have a couple of my lunch meetings there over the next coupla weeks.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

He’s got three locations so just a lot of overhead. Always is when you run a brick and mortar restaurant in Austin. He also pays his employees good. Dude is a great guy. He has always counted on SXSW revenue as it’s always been there and been a big part of his year. His first location was off congress and then he teamed with Lavaca Street on Lavaca...so SXSW is big for him...and now it’s not for the first year in his ten years here.

But, I’m not begging y’all to go. I’m asking if you could please....and I’m also not kidding one bit...he’s got some of the best tacos and food you will have....seriously...look at his Yelp reviews. Thanks for considering a stop by in the next couple weeks.

Thanks. And please don’t think I was trying to slight him at all. I was genuinely curious. 

I had my own startup at one time and know the stress of cash flow issues. 

9 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

The buffalo chicken tacos slam. 

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

People need to see that it’s everywhere and the dead aren’t piling up on the streets before they’re comfortable. I think you’re right. We’ll see mass cancellations as the numbers start ticking up over the next few weeks and then people will realize life needs to go on and adjust to this thing. 

It's not about bodies piling up in the streets. This isn't the flu, this virus so far has shown 10 to 20 percent of infected needing hospitalization and 2-3 weeks of supplemental oxygen due to hypoxemia. It's not just old people as young patients have also shown to require it. There's zero chance of containing this outbreak now so the play is to limit exposure as much as possible so it spreads slowly enough where the infected people who need hospitalization do not overwhelm the available resources and really cause massive issues. Having tens/hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world gathering together in one place is the worst thing we can do right now.

If in the next couple of weeks this thing looks to be spreading faster then between now and June any large gathering of people needs to be cancelled or in the case of televised sporting events played without fans. All schools should end their school year at spring break. Let's isolate as much as possible to allow this disease to slow dramatically. It's drastic but the consequences of having millions become infected in relatively short order and overwhelming our medical resources is far worse. 

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Off topic but I wonder if this will cause a paradigm shift in how many companies view allowing their employees to work from home. Imagine the overhead saved from downsizing office space.

Saw an article headline recently about just that. People working from home and not looking back.

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Off topic but I wonder if this will cause a paradigm shift in how many companies view allowing their employees to work from home. Imagine the overhead saved from downsizing office space.

My agency is making everybody who doesn't have to work directly with customers work from home on Tuesday to test the VPN, and they're calling it a "Pandemic Test."

We will see. My company is conservative as fuck and doesn’t have a telecommuting policy. Rumor is HR is working on guidelines for it now. We just got our first corporate communication on the virus and it said business travel is on as usual and don’t high five anyone.

Damn...my buddy runs Turf n Surf (restaurants in Lavaca Street Bars). His tacos are awesome and you need to go try them if you haven’t. His blackened ribeye and fish are very, very good. Look at his Yelp reviews.
Anyhow...he’s having to borrow money to stay open because of SXSW cancellation. Please stop by and support him if you can. I promise you the food is that damn good.

One of my favorite places in Austin. Their blackened seafood- shrimp and fish - is awesome. Everything on the menu is really good all very high quality ingredients skillfully prepared. Will def go by there and encourage others to. Love that new on on south Lamar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I think that there may (or should) be some folks drafting a freeze and spoliation notice for all communications between the COA, Travis County. SXSW and related entities as we speak tonight.  This change of course all didn't magically come together since Adler's press conference on Wednesday.

Would be nice.  He didn’t do this because some soccer mom called his office, worried about granny in some retirement home in the city.   My theory is that the other tests came back positive (the first was announced negative).  Fort Bend and Harris counties got their tests back faster.  

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

All schools should end their school year at spring break. Let's isolate as much as possible to allow this disease to slow dramatically. It's drastic but the consequences of having millions become infected in relatively short order and overwhelming our medical resources is far worse. 

I agree with you a lot, but no way they do that.  They can’t just automatically advance everybody, and if they hold any kids back based on their work up until early March, then it’s lawsuit city.  Plus, they need the funding from having those kids in school.   

27 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I have to imagine some folks with plans on attending are going to come anyway. So SX isn't happening - they can still do shit in town. Can't see it being a complete loss. 

I think that’s right. Lots of folks with nonrefundable flights and hotel reservations will come to Austin and hang out for the week.

Here are my questions: What’s to stop bands from still coming to Austin and finding gigs during the week? It’s not like the City can shut down all live music across town, right?  

And what about events that aren’t officially tied to SXSW, like the Hotel San Jose lineups? Can those still go on, or is the City pulling all permits needed and previously granted for stuff like that?

15 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I think that’s right. Lots of folks with nonrefundable flights and hotel reservations will come to Austin and hang out for the week.

Here are my questions: What’s to stop bands from still coming to Austin and finding gigs during the week? It’s not like the City can shut down all live music across town, right?  

And what about events that aren’t officially tied to SXSW, like the Hotel San Jose lineups? Can those still go on, or is the City pulling all permits needed and previously granted for stuff like that?

I was going to say this exactly. What happens if all the shows just go on without the event organizers and they just set cover charges at these bars? I mean you can't stop any of the inside shows from happening only the ones that required special permits for stages outside in the road and stuff. 

SXSW could actually be fun as fuck this year. It could also expose how shittily run it is. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Tell CoA to kick rocks and fuck off.  
spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

My company owns several million square feet of office space.  I do not support this idea.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Great point... Agree!!

When it seems more like the Flu, and less like the "Bubonic Plague" things will get better.

Because it is the flu. Or a variation of it. The panic over this is getting ridiculous. And from a lot of the same people that have no problem letting measles make a come back. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

To the city?  Doubtful -- they have immunity against legal claims.

The entity?  Possible.  And that put them between a rock and a hard place.  If they cancelled unilaterally, they avoid the potential liability for illnesses.....but they lose access to any insurance proceeds.

The city does not have immunity to legal claims.  They have been sued, and lost or settled, many times.  Circle C, police actions, etc. 

Apparently, SXSW or not -- the shows will go on (from their FB page):
The Continental Club

We are still waiting on a couple of confirmations, but it looks like even without the official SXSW our schedule for that week will remain the same! The bands are still coming, no matter what, so our doors will be open for them. We will update our website with any changes or cancelations.
The Day Parties will still be free, but the night time showcases will now have a cover charge, which is still to be determined. The money will go to the bands to help with their expenses.
Some things are still a little nebulous, but we're working on it as we speak. Please bear with us as we wade through some murky waters - this is a new situation for all of us!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I agree with you a lot, but no way they do that.  They can’t just automatically advance everybody, and if they hold any kids back based on their work up until early March, then it’s lawsuit city.  Plus, they need the funding from having those kids in school.   

They could do it in stages say 2 weeks at a time based on the virus rate of spread and/or administer "at home kits" to do the work with online instruction. Anyone who can't or won't do online instruction can finish in summer school. Basically it's time to get creative because leaving schools open would exponentially increase the rate of infection vs closing them. Kids aren't going to be washing their hands and acting safe, especially the elementary and JR high ones. Then they'll all contaminate all of their parents and grandparents no matter how many precautions the adults take. Number one priority should be get to the summer months and hope the heat slows down the rate of spread on its own and buys time to get organized for winter testing and treatment. 

If they refuse to cancel school then all of this is moot and might as well just go on with SXSW and all events as normal and whoever dies as a result of the health care network being overrun dies. 

• Like 1

The city does not have immunity to legal claims.  They have been sued, and lost or settled, many times.  Circle C, police actions, etc. 

I’m more than a bit familiar with immunity law - trust me on this. The police suits are sec. 1983 claims filed in federal court (where there is no immunity for that type of claim), the development suits are filed under various exceptions to immunity (city acting outside its legal authority etc). And those development suits can’t get damages, they can just force the city to change its actions. For something like this - exercising their lawful authority (or alternatively, had they failed to do so), they are absolutely immune from any damages suit (and even if they weren’t, and there was some sort of tort claim that could be brought, the Tort Claims Act caps the total damages at $500k, IIRC).
So, no, the city is not exposed here.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m more than a bit familiar with immunity law - trust me on this. The police suits are sec. 1983 claims filed in federal court (where there is no immunity for that type of claim), the development suits are filed under various exceptions to immunity (city acting outside its legal authority etc). And those development suits can’t get damages, they can just force the city to change its actions. For something like this - exercising their lawful authority (or alternatively, had they failed to do so), they are absolutely immune from any damages suit (and even if they weren’t, and there was some sort of tort claim that could be brought, the Tort Claims Act caps the total damages at $500k, IIRC).
So, no, the city is not exposed here.

How are you with bird law?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

We will see. My company is conservative as fuck and doesn’t have a telecommuting policy. Rumor is HR is working on guidelines for it now. We just got our first corporate communication on the virus and it said business travel is on as usual and don’t high five anyone.

Relatively, you've got it pretty good.  Unfortunately I work for Geico:

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

They could do it in stages say 2 weeks at a time based on the virus rate of spread and/or administer "at home kits" to do the work with online instruction. Anyone who can't or won't do online instruction can finish in summer school. Basically it's time to get creative because leaving schools open would exponentially increase the rate of infection vs closing them. Kids aren't going to be washing their hands and acting safe, especially the elementary and JR high ones. Then they'll all contaminate all of their parents and grandparents no matter how many precautions the adults take. Number one priority should be get to the summer months and hope the heat slows down the rate of spread on its own and buys time to get organized for winter testing and treatment. 

If they refuse to cancel school then all of this is moot and might as well just go on with SXSW and all events as normal and whoever dies as a result of the health care network being overrun dies. 

I’m less worried about the kids behavior than I am the LARGE segment of our population that doesn’t even think this is a thing. 

52 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

HaHaHa.... Thx for this @BigSwingingD 

Hope this gets the Hell Out of Austin due to SXSW Cancellation!!

20200307-083903.jpg

Aggie Corps Band:

Space cars

Space cars

boys and girls, with the eyes on your face 

look at my cars from outer space 

Space cars.  

The rodeos in Houston and Austin probably weren’t cancelled (yet) because most of the attendees are local, while SXSW expected to bring 20,000 internationals and 50-100,000 non-Austin Americans to the city, potentially accelerating the entry and spread of COVID here. 

23 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The rodeos in Houston and Austin probably weren’t cancelled (yet) because most of the attendees are local, while SXSW expected to bring 20,000 internationals and 50-100,000 non-Austin Americans to the city, potentially accelerating the entry and spread of COVID here. 

Houston Rodeo is not as international as SXSW but I wouldn't call it a local event. It is very much an event for the common clay of the American west. 

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

source.gif

1 hour ago, landman said:

300 people have been killed on Texas roads so far this year. Maybe we should cancel cars as well. 

And there’s been even more homicides than that so far this year. So we should just legalize murder since the law is clearly not doing anything. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, immamac said:

I was going to say this exactly. What happens if all the shows just go on without the event organizers and they just set cover charges at these bars? I mean you can't stop any of the inside shows from happening only the ones that required special permits for stages outside in the road and stuff. 

SXSW could actually be fun as fuck this year. It could also expose how shittily run it is. 

Sounds like SXSW in the late 80s which was god damn fun.

• Like 2

Locals? Have you been to the Austin Rodeo? Those trailer trash mouth breathers are trucking in from elsewhere. It’s like another planet than Austin.