'69 Longhorns last all white national champs

Loco

Just getting coffee this am and heard this Texas football related story...  Good listen IMHO.  But fair warning it's mostly about integration at UT but it's got a lot of football history. Chocolate Rocket.  

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2020/03/06/texas-football-segregation-marion-ford

ps I didn't know where to put this but thought some folks would find it interesting.  and also...  don't cloak this shit up.  Props to UT for taking this head on and not just shredding shit.

Horns, Hogs, and Nixon Coming is a good book on the subject as well. It's more about the Game of the Century but it does a great job describing the campus climate at the time and specifically the civil rights struggle on campus and intergration. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Just getting coffee this am and heard this Texas football related story...  Good listen IMHO.  But fair warning it's mostly about integration at UT but it's got a lot of football history. Chocolate Rocket.  

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2020/03/06/texas-football-segregation-marion-ford

ps I didn't know where to put this but thought some folks would find it interesting.  and also...  don't cloak this shit up.  Props to UT for taking this head on and not just shredding shit.

If you are truly interested in this aspect of UT history, start by reading the Supreme Court decisions on Sweatt v Painter and in Fisher v University of Texas. Then look back on how even the most progressive navigated racial integration of post-secondary education. Sweatt’s attorney was, of course, Thurgood Marshall, and the decision in the case was precedent in Brown v Board. 

Sweatt lead UT to become the first major public university in the south to desegregate. History shows the gulf between segregation and racial integration. 

One major problem was that while some schools were integrating, others were still extremely resistant to racial integration. Baylor and A&M were two schools particularly recalcitrant. 

For example, Texas had recruited African-American track athletes in the early 1960s. At UT track track events, parents of athletes could sit with each other in the stands. At Baylor and A&M-hosted events back in the 1960s, school officials would demand parents of black athletes leave the section designated for parents of athletes and moved to the “negroes only” section to sit. 

The totality of how blacks were treated by “traditionally less enlightened” schools inhibited the progress of integrating athletics throughout the SWC. 

DKR had been coaching racially integrated teams since he first became a head coach in the early 1950s and he encouraged minority walk-ons prior to the first black scholarship recipient at UT and that was....wait for it....a gentleman named Leon O’Neal. Leon struggled with grades and transferred to SWTSU. He later lived and coached in Killeen. 

Julius Whittier was the first black letterman. Two thirds gs that helped Julius Whittier succeed was the change started by earlier minority’s athletes and the fact Whittier attended an integrated high school in San Antonio. 

While UT abolished segregated admissions in 1954, it took a while for southern society to change and for black high school education to improve to the point black student athletes were prepared for university-level academics. How blacks in general, and black student-athletes, were treated in the classroom is another discussion. 

Heman Sweatt went on to leave UT law before graduating and moved to Atlanta to work with the Urban League. He would eventually know Rosa Parks and MLK, being with King at the Lorraine Motel when King was shot. 

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1

Leon O'Neal was a year behind me at Killeen High School; I think he'd been the QB but not sure.  I knew him a little and offered to help him with his classes, but he said he didn't need help.  He, if I recall, played freshman ball and did ok.  He told me he was leaving because the size of the crowds and the stadium intimidated him.  I don't know if there was some racial element in this. We had both grown up in the Army community which was integrated by the time we went to  grade school. Nice kid.

40 minutes ago, idahorn said:

Leon O'Neal was a year behind me at Killeen High School; I think he'd been the QB but not sure.  I knew him a little and offered to help him with his classes, but he said he didn't need help.  He, if I recall, played freshman ball and did ok.  He told me he was leaving because the size of the crowds and the stadium intimidated him.  I don't know if there was some racial element in this. We had both grown up in the Army community which was integrated by the time we went to  grade school. Nice kid.

I thought this was a long road to a joke about the transferring aggy safety for a sec, gotta admit

• Like 2

1 hour ago, idahorn said:

Hah - you outed yourself as my peer.

When I started kindergarten in 1949 at Camp Hood (as it was known then), our school was integrated.

It’s almost always better to self-examine things you wish didn’t happen because if you don’t, your critics (cough...aggy), will try to make it look like an exposé or - at the very least - something that you want to bury.

Aggy should self-examine their Kow-n-Kream Klub. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

It will always be correct to say that the Red Sox were the last MLB team to integrate, that can never change.

Theoretically, it may not always be correct to say UT was the last all white national champion, because an all white team could happen to win a future title though some miracle. Maybe once the sport is reduced to 7 on 7 flag football in 100 years. Point still stands. 

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

We won the 1970 national championship, douchebag. We have the trophy to prove it. 

In reality, Texas was voted as #1 team in the nation by the sportswriters. It was their consensus decision. If anyone want to challenge the legitimacy of the decision of the sportswriters more than fifty years after the fact, they should discuss the matter with the sportswriters who voted in that poll. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

48 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

In reality, Texas was voted as #1 team in the nation by the sportswriters. It was their consensus decision. If anyone want to challenge the legitimacy of the decision of the sportswriters more than fifty years after the fact, they should discuss the matter with the sportswriters who voted in that poll. 

A better chance to do that than trying to question anyone on the planet who can recall the last aggy MNC. 

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

A better chance to do that than trying to question anyone on the planet who can recall the last aggy MNC. 

It shows how clueless aggys are when they claim the UT championship isn’t meaningful, yet they somehow convince themselves their 1927 “championship” is legit. 

In 1927, the ags were challenged to a post-season bowl game and they declined. 

I have yet to hear an agroid explain how the vote of the sportswriters in 1970 was somehow invalidated by the UT bowl loss, but their 1927 “championship” was unaffected by their decision to not even play in a bowl game to cap off their “championship season.”

Edited by Randolph Duke

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

It shows how clueless aggys are when they claim the UT championship isn’t meaningful, yet they somehow convince themselves their 1927 “championship” is legit. 

In 1927, the ags were challenged to a post-season bowl game and they declined. 

I have yet to hear an agroid explain how the vote of the sportswriters in 1970 was somehow invalidated by the UT bowl loss, but their 1927 “championship” was unaffected by their decision to not even play in a bowl game to cap off their “championship season.”

That and they weren’t “awarded” that championship until the 80’s or so. 

We faced several integrated teams on our schedule.

Believe there was at least one black scholarship player that was on the freshman team in 1967 and 1968, but he or they left the program before 69.  Whittier was on the freshman team in 1969.  So our program was integrated.  Just not the varsity squad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Let’s be real honest — if aggy were the last all-white team to win a national championship they’d wear that shit like a badge of honor.

Let’s not forget get that Gene Stallings famously refused to recruit minority athletes at Texas A&M because, as he put it, “going so would create disunity in the locker room.”

And in the fall of 1970, on the eve of the A&M/LSU game that would see Hugh McElroy become the first black athlete to start for the A&M football team, the aggys burned a cross in front of his dorm the night before the game. 

I wonder how many aggys point out the fact that A&M hasn’t won a single national championship in any major NCAA sport with a racially integrated team. Or that A&M has never won a single CWS game without a “racially pure” team, their school still fighting integration in that magical year of 1951 when A&M accumulated 50% of the school’s CWS victories, and racial integration still not having been practiced by the aggys in 1993, the other magical year for aggy baseball. 

16F9C0F8-F292-4721-A1B9-ABBD2DF6C504.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

We faced several integrated teams on our schedule.

Believe there was at least one black scholarship player that was on the freshman team in 1967 and 1968, but he or they left the program before 69.  Whittier was on the freshman team in 1969.  So our program was integrated.  Just not the varsity squad.

Leon O’Neal is probably who you were thinking of as the first black scholarship football player and who preceded Julius Whittier. The track team had already integrated by the late 1960s. Because of the way parents of black athletes were treated by administrators at especially Baylor and A&M when Texas was playing at those schools, black athletes didn’t want to play for any SWC school. 

We see the stories of aggy fans spitting on PVAMU fans still today. Imagine how much worse it was for parents of black athletes going to watch their kids play at College Station Mack in the 1960s. 

I am friends with a gentleman who was an African-American student at UT at that time (there were fewer than 300). He has a lot of interesting stories to tell of what life was like on campus when he was a student. 

large.517896161_aggypvspit.jpeg.2eefae467297fe1fc72e9c43905c5391.jpeg

Edited by Randolph Duke

22 hours ago, Helobious said:

Theoretically, it may not always be correct to say UT was the last all white national champion, because an all white team could happen to win a future title though some miracle. Maybe once the sport is reduced to 7 on 7 flag football in 100 years. Point still stands. 

I suppose it's theoretically possible that concussion concerns reduce the game solely to deep snapping, placekicking and punting.