RIP Max Von Sydow

mdmost

So many great roles. Father Merrin, Joubert in 3 Days of the Condor, Ming the Merciless. I had no idea but he was the voice of Vigo the Conqueror in Ghostbusters 2. 

Max von Sydow, ‘The Exorcist’ and ‘Seventh Seal’ Star, Dies at 90

The Swedish actor earned two Oscar nominations in his decades-long career

Thom Geier | March 9, 2020 @ 5:39 AMLast Updated: March 9, 2020 @ 5:54 AM

Getty Images

Max von Sydow, the prolific Swedish actor who first made his name in Ingmar Bergman films like 1957’s “The Seventh Seal” before progressing to international renown in hits like “The Exoricst” and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” died Sunday at age 90.

During his decades-long career, he earned two Oscar nominations, for his lead role as a picked-on Swedish immigrant to a Danish farming community in Bille August’s 1987 drama “Pelle the Conqueror” and then as a mute old man in Stephen Daldry’s post-9/11 drama “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.”

Born into a wealthy family on the Swedish coast, von Sydow studied at the national drama school before meeting Bergman in 1955. The two collaborated in theater before embarking on a series of influential films that increased in reputation worldwide, beginning with “The Seventh Seal” and then “The Magician,” “The Virgin Spring” and “Wild Strawberries.”

After making his Hollywood debut playing Jesus Christ in George Stevens’ 1965 biblical epic “The Greatest Story Ever Told,” he became a fixture in American cinema. He had a memorable role as a tortured man of the cloth in 1973’s “The Exorcist” as well as key performances in 1975’s “Three Days of the Condor,” 1982’s “Conan the Barbarian,” Woody Allen’s 1986 drama “Hannah and Her Sisters,” 1990’s “Awakenings” and Steven Spielberg’s 2002 blockbuster “Minority Report.”

Von Sydow continued working well into his 80s. He appeared as an ally of the resistance in the opening scenes of J.J. Abrams’ 2015 film “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” as well as the Three-Eyed Raven in the sixth season of “Game of Thrones.”

Flash-Gordon-The-End.gif&key=bfc8b33fe05

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

If you ever have the chance, watch "Intacto" from Spain.  It wasn't his most dramatic, or "best" role, but it was incredibly unique and showed everything he was capable of as an actor in one little film.  RIP Max.  

6 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Strange Brew is one of my most quoted movies. 

I use "this isn't heaven, this sucks" so often it pisses my wife off. 

When I was 15, my uncle sat down me, my brother, and my cousin and made us watch it.  Life changing. 

"Give into the Dark Side, you knob."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

If you ever have the chance, watch "Intacto" from Spain.  It wasn't his most dramatic, or "best" role, but it was incredibly unique and showed everything he was capable of as an actor in one little film.  RIP Max.  

Came here to post the same thing. Weird yet fascinating movie, and he played his role very well.

21 hours ago, Underdog said:

Thought he was great in Citizen X.  Damn good actor, RIP. 

I re-watched Citizen X last night.  That is a great film and MVS was quite good in his role.  The casting of the extras as rubes, retards, gullibles and nitwits was extraordinary.  Those characters made our Walmart regulars look like the staff at Lawrence Livermore.