Bailouts 2020 Poll (Anonymous Voting - the American Way)

washparkhorn

Bailouts 2020 Edition  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Federal Bailouts and Stimulus for:

• Large Financial Institutions and Corporations (Trickle Down - 2008 repeat)
    • People (Trickle Up)
    • None

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

It slowed the economy for years. Also payed already rich people to get out of their own disaster. Fuck that.

Like I said, as intended, they worked spectacularly.

Those bailouts were for the owners of this country, not their servants.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Any corporate bailout should be contingent on repealing the GOP tax cut.  Interest on bailout should be back taxes like the tax cut never existed. 

I like this. The tax cut was a pre-bailout.

It’s a supply side problem.  A command and control style economy would be well positioned to find the holes in the supply chain and fill them. 

A hyper free market, capitalist economy?  Not so much.  We will go through a lot of creative destruction, then a lagging demand side collapse before the opportunities to get rich find solutions.  Consumers are relatively flush with cash and credit is basically free.  Lack of money isn’t the problem, yet.

You mean besides two chicks (dudes for those so inclined) at the same time, right?

I would do nothing.

Except maybe roll back bankruptcy rules, make the corporate tax cut a flat, no deductions, no carry-forwards, 18%, lift the cap on the payroll tax, triple the EITC, lower Medicare to age 55 and let everyone else buy in for $200 /mo. with that number tied to inflation, raise the national minimum wage to $12 hr. with that number also tied to inflation, require all employers to provide 3 weeks paid leave (5 for part-time workers), redefine “independent contractor” to not include any job that pays, if full-time, less than the poverty rate, require all school districts to expand schools to include pre-K within 5 years, increase the gas tax by $1.00 and spend an extra $500B per year on roads and trains (at least 20% on trains), build a bunch of nuclear power plants and decriminalize all fucking drugs, requiring all states provide an easy and low-cost procedure to clear drug convictions from not just people’s records, but the internet, too.

So maybe not nothing.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, softlynow said:

You mean besides two chicks (dudes for those so inclined) at the same time, right?

I would do nothing.

Except maybe roll back bankruptcy rules, make the corporate tax cut a flat, no deductions, no carry-forwards, 18%, lift the cap on the payroll tax, triple the EITC, lower Medicare to age 55 and let everyone else buy in for $200 /mo. with that number tied to inflation, raise the national minimum wage to $12 hr. with that number also tied to inflation, require all employers to provide 3 weeks paid leave (5 for part-time workers), redefine “independent contractor” to not include any job that pays, if full-time, less than the poverty rate, require all school districts to expand schools to include pre-K within 5 years, increase the gas tax by $1.00 and spend an extra $500B per year on roads and trains (at least 20% on trains), build a bunch of nuclear power plants and decriminalize all fucking drugs, requiring all states provide an easy and low-cost procedure to clear drug convictions from not just people’s records, but the internet, too.

So maybe not nothing.

Look all this sounds good, but I need to know your opinion on guillotines before I can decide whether to support you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, softlynow said:

They’re useful tools of intimidation.

spacer.png

The Jacobins rolled around with portable guillotines. Today, thanks to the wonders of our high-tech age, our guillotines could be self driving, and I am sure we could equip them with robot executioners to ride around on them. 

23 hours ago, workswithseed said:

It slowed the economy for years. Also payed already rich people to get out of their own disaster. Fuck that.

what slowed the economy for years was republican fuckwaddery in response to the great recession, whinging about being taxed too fucking much to approve properly sized stimulus packages because they didn't want obama to win on the economy.

• Like 1

Hear is the early vote:

As of March 12, 2020 with a 25% downward spiral in the stock market after Trump said "buy, buy, buy" and the public's realization the coronavirus is a big deal - here are the results so far:

• 3 in favor of Large Financial Institutions and Corporations (Trickle Down - 2008 repeat) bailouts/stimulus
  • 25 in People (Trickle Up) bailouts/stimulus
  • 20 in favor of no bailouts/stimulus

Would love to see to see how later voting changes this perspective from March 12, 2020 forward as bailouts/stimulus become reality in the teetering world economies.