COVID-19 and Basketball thread

Jive Turkey

17 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Pros like you and all the liberal surly posters that know it all? lol ok. This is another form of the flu but yea ok freak out and stay at home.

Lol you're cloak rooming a pandemic, this is cool.

(That said, the Ivies cancelling ALL spring sports seems really fucking excessive)

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Lol you're cloak rooming a pandemic, this is cool and stuff.

(That said, the Ivies cancelling ALL spring sports seems really fucking excessive)

Ok I think it’s all overblown. Apparently you can’t have a differing opinion here on surly. Covid19 most comparable buddy is the flu. 

• Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

To be fair, playing the games at all is a loophole. The most shared breath and germs in the arena is going to be on the court.

Well 50-100 people in a gym is a lot safer than 20,000. That's the whole point. And you can closely monitor players, coaches, and commentators, to ensure they don't show up if they are coughing. You can't ensure that several in a crowd of 20,000 will be irresponsible assholes and show up coughing because "I feel fine" or for some cloak room reason like the dude in this thread. Also much less likely that any of the small group are in the not yet showing symptoms category.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

Ok I think it’s all overblown. Apparently you can’t have a differing opinion here on surly. Covid19 most comparable buddy is the flu. 

Why’s it overblown? Experts know nothing about it. We don’t know if it’s seasonal, the vaccine, we don’t know if it infects somebody with another completely different issue if it’ll spawn a different strain of covid19.

If we knew something about it, there’d be a vaccine or tests.

Is now the time for your .02 about a now pandemic or are you going to remind us in 7 days when cases are in the 10s of thousands?

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Why’s it overblown? Experts know nothing about it. We don’t know if it’s seasonal, the vaccine, we don’t know if it infects somebody with another completely different issue if it’ll spawn a different strain of covid19.

Is now the time for your .02 about a now pandemic or are you going to remind us in 7 days when cases are in the 10s of thousands?

CDC has 938 confirmed cases in the us and that’s with nothing being done. I get we have little info but up to this point the only people it’s killed is elderly and those with underlying health conditions. 38 deaths out of 938 cases? That’s less than the flu. So yea I think emptying out events and arenas is a tad overblown. If the death toll was 200 out of 938 I wouldn’t be saying that. Everything I’ve read has said it’s not killing healthy people or kids but kinda like the flu it’s deaths are with elderly and unhealthy individuals. 

is the big 12 tourney banning people? I assume since the big tourney is now. Shit that might help Texas.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

That's why it's overblown.  No one knows anything about it, but everything is being cancelled.  

The measles - we know what that can do.  It hasn't been in this country for decades.  Yet people are electing not to get vaccinated, and now it's back.

Polio - we know what that can do.  Yet people are electing not to get vaccinated.  Wait and see what happens when this comes back.

The flu - vaccination is optional, so people catch it every year, partly by choice if they don't get the vaccination.  (and I get the vaccination doesn't always work).

But now, we can't decide for ourselves whether or not we want to take a risk of exposure by attending events, etc.  It's being decided for us in a panic.

• Like 1

Just now, landman said:

That's why it's overblown.  No one knows anything about it, but everything is being cancelled.  

The measles - we know what that can do.  It hasn't been in this country for decades.  Yet people are electing not to get vaccinated, and now it's back.

Polio - we know what that can do.  Yet people are electing not to get vaccinated.  Wait and see what happens when this comes back.

The flu - vaccination is optional, so people catch it every year, partly by choice if they don't get the vaccination.  (and I get the vaccination doesn't always work).

But now, we can't decide for ourselves whether or not we want to take a risk of exposure by attending events, etc.  It's being decided for us in a panic.

Actually that's not at all how this shit works.  We already know how it spreads...we have great examples in Italy/Asia etc.  So locking down is the best move.  If we were testing and knew where we were positive and negative maybe we could go on.  We are not testing so we don't fucking know, hence...Have you never heard of err on the side of caution?  WTF?  Are people really this stupid? 

• Like 4

Just now, ztejas said:

I doubt they will for tonight's games. My company is staffing part of it and we haven't heard anything yet.

Seriously? Wow. Can’t the ncaa strong arm the conferences?

i bet opening day for baseball is fucked too. I took the kids to six flags today and was telling the wife I’m shocked six Flags Over Texas hasn’t been shut down. 

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ahh yes more neg reps from those with differing opinions. I love it from the we accept everyone clan then negs anyone that’s opposite of them. Lol. 

It's not because you're thinking differently, it's because your comments are ignorant, yet you're speaking like you're a voice of reason.

Take your persecuted ass back to CR.

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea quoting the cdc government page is ignorant. 

Dude, open your brain. The CDC count is what it is because we have been totally unprepared to actually test people, not because it's the right number.

We can't confirm a diagnosis with a test that hasn't been administered.

13 minutes ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Dude, open your brain. The CDC count is what it is because we have been totally unprepared to actually test people, not because it's the right number.

This is unreal.  He really doesn’t get it.  

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

soooooooo much of this thread's content has nothing to do with basketball and needs to be in the Daily Texan thread. 

Well it was Rockethorn threadshitting, so...

I think we can get it back on track. 

UIL State Boys Basketball is still on for now from what's going around the twitters

20 minutes ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Again I’m quoting a government page. I can only quote what they have. To say it’s more than that is an assumption. Maybe it’s way more and maybe it’s way less. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

51 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ahh yes more neg reps from those with differing opinions. I love it from the we accept everyone clan then negs anyone that’s opposite of them. Lol. 

i'm negging you because you appear to be a grown man using "lol."

Bowlsby is speaking to the media in 5 minutes.

Edited by Jive Turkey

52 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

CDC has 938 confirmed cases in the us and that’s with nothing being done. I get we have little info but up to this point the only people it’s killed is elderly and those with underlying health conditions. 38 deaths out of 938 cases? That’s less than the flu. So yea I think emptying out events and arenas is a tad overblown. If the death toll was 200 out of 938 I wouldn’t be saying that. Everything I’ve read has said it’s not killing healthy people or kids but kinda like the flu it’s deaths are with elderly and unhealthy individuals. 

is the big 12 tourney banning people? I assume since the big tourney is now. Shit that might help Texas.

Deaths are starting to trend younger in Italy. It just kills the olds faster. 

Also the death rate is 10x that of the flu, but keep your head in the sand. 

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

Then Texas will have an advantage if they should get in the tourney since that’s what a home game is like.

I sense another Will Baker breakout game coming.

And by breakout, I mean hitting a three.

Edited by OU Sucks

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’ve got

tickets to future tickets games I’m preparing to just eat it. Unless they do refunds which I assume will happen for all of this. This has to be in the billions of lost revenue.

For a lot of smaller conferences, their basketball tournament is their big money maker,  it's going to hurt.