COVID-19 and Basketball thread

Jive Turkey

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I wonder if anyone will want to play with him. What an asshole 

I assume that all of the touching and mic shit was before he had any idea that he had it. Careless and childish, but not malicious. He'll issue an apology, and then we'll just laugh at his stupid video once the worst passes...assuming that he and everyone he gave it to survives, of course. 

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Not defending Gobert but I thought he was doing it as a "HURRRR I'm not skeered of getting it" more than "now you all might have my cooties too"

regardless, anything the NBA can do to emphasize how unimportant it is is fine by me

I didn't think he was being malicious.  I think he was like "ha, this is so stupid and overblown, look at me"

He's the equivalent of the idiots calling it a "flu" (Doug Gottleib)

After Gobert's positive test they had all players in the arena tested, and Donovan Mitchell just tested positive too and wasn't even on the injury report

NBA is making the right decision. Within 2 games the entire league would have been exposed, if they haven't been already.

2 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Wonder who the first money-grubbing conference will be to consider having a June tourney in the name of the hard-working kids who want to play for a trophy (while the ADs make a few bucks off tickets and ESPNU coverage)

The answer: The Big East, who tipped off just now. 

I'm going to go ahead and say yesterday was the end of the basketball season.  No chance the NCAA can withstand the media onslaught if they try to play.  The NBA is fine because they make money and have a product.  They've survived much shorter years than this.  They can take a month off, let things die down, then start the playoffs.  They could really even take 2 months off if they go to a 3-3-5-7 playoff set up this year.

Just now, Jhawk said:

I'm going to go ahead and say yesterday was the end of the basketball season.  No chance the NCAA can withstand the media onslaught if they try to play.  The NBA is fine because they make money and have a product.  They've survived much shorter years than this.  They can take a month off, let things die down, then start the playoffs.  They could really even take 2 months off if they go to a 3-3-5-7 playoff set up this year.

Big East says nah fam, today. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Barnes was on with Marty Smith earlier and said his players were telling him they didn't want to risk it and play. 

I think having NBA players test positive with this woke some athletes up. 

I think it woke up a lot of people. I made a run to the grocery store last night around 10 pm to stock up. The store was definitely more crowded than usual. I talked to one lady in the medicine aisle and she said once she heard the NBA suspended the season, shit got real for her and she decided to load up on supplies. 

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

I think it woke up a lot of people. I made a run to the grocery store last night around 10 pm to stock up. The store was definitely more crowded than usual. I talked to one lady in the medicine aisle and she said once she heard the NBA suspended the season, shit got real for her and she decided to load up on supplies. 

We were at Walmart yesterday and they must've called in for OT as they were stocking up shelves as fast as they could/shoppers for online orders/pickup.  

Just now, 4th&Five said:

what's the point?  what are they playing for?  without conference champions we can't really have a tournament.  at least not like one we've had before.  plus, they're putting the players at risk.

Everyone there has already been exposed if CV is present, might as well finish it.  Go ahead and cancel the rest don't let anyone else in the building, including Spike. 

19 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Barnes was on with Marty Smith earlier and said his players were telling him they didn't want to risk it and play. 

I think having NBA players test positive with this woke some athletes up. 

Most everyone who gets it recovers.

Those who it kills were weak already anyway.

Play the damn games.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 9

8 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Shelves were empty last night at my local grocery.  The line was 35 minutes.  If I didn't have it before i went in there, I probably came out with it.  

Most everyone who gets it recovers.
Those who it kills were weak already anyway.
Play the damn games.

With all due respect, fuck the fuck off. Now is the time to step back, gauge situation and see what the next steps should be. It’s a fucking conference basketball tournament.
  • Like 3