COVID-19 and Basketball thread

Jive Turkey

12 minutes ago, caliHORNia said:

No.  It's not estimated to be similar to the flu.

The flu has a mortality rate well below .01%.   https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

This is expected to have mortality rates of .06%-1% in the U.S (2% on average worldwide, 3.4% peak).  That is a range of 6-10x deadlier than the flu and far more contagious.

Additionally roughly 400,000 of 35,000,000 influenza cases resulted in hospitalization in 2019 - 1.5%.  It's closer to 20% for Covid-19

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Mike Boynton says give the seniors an extra year.  Schools get permission on scholly numbers for 2021 only. 

Um, most of us are ready to move on from our seniors. They made some nice contributions, but time to move on guys.

Just now, 'stache said:

Um, most of us are ready to move on from our seniors. They made some nice contributions, but time to move on guys.

Well he means all of them. They all got screwed across all spring/winter sports.

The legendary career of Sabrina Ionescu ends with a thud. 

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I think the Mavericks are advocating for no visitors if possible.  Don't have relatives flying in to hang out.

So no scrip clubs for Harden? There goes Houston’s economy 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, caliHORNia said:

No.  It's not estimated to be similar to the flu.

The flu has a mortality rate well below .01%.   https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

This is expected to have mortality rates of .06%-1% in the U.S (2% on average worldwide, 3.4% peak).  That is a range of 6-10x deadlier than the flu and far more contagious.

If it ends up being 1%, that's 100x worse than the flu. I'm no doctor, but that sounds not great.

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Silver saying the suspension of the NBA will last at least 30 days. 

id guess they'll forgo the rest of the season, and begin the playoffs as schedule which is mid april. maybe  do a 3-3-3-5 scenario if they have to add a week or 2 to the suspension if things are hectic

nba lottery teams will be the same as they are today if last night was officially the last game of the regular season.

10 hours ago, Jhawk said:

As a Ku fan, not earning the title via tournament when we have our best chance against the field maybe ever is far more painful than losing it on the court. I’d rather lose in the second round than not have the tournament at all. At least we would know that we weren’t the best team at the end of the tournament. Now it’ll always be questioned who was going to win. it also robs bill self of his second (assuming we would have won) national title. 

You know how much I dislike your chickenshit team for being too big a pussies to schedule WSU, but I will award you the state title this year.

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

KU also cancelled all athletic travel.

Also, Texas took itself out of the tournament too way before everyone else.  

I really thought Texas had a real shot in the B12 tourney.....what team was more prepared for not playing in front of fans

Rudy was dumb for what he did, but he may have inadvertently saved lives.  The bigger impact of how quickly this shitshow could get out of control was front and center for everyone to see because he was an idiot.  This was going to happen whether he did what he did or not.  Just imagine how many NBA road whores have corona festering inside them from just the past week.....we're not gonna see that result for another week or possibly up to 9 months

2 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

The bigger impact of how quickly this shitshow could get out of control was front and center for everyone to see because he was an idiot.  This was going to happen whether he did what he did or not. 

Yeah that's fine but don't reward or take pity on Gobert for it. Gobert is a piece of shit dumbass and should be treated that way for the rest of his career. At some point you need to understand that if you are one of the best, what, 25-30? players in the NBA there are certain things you just don't do or even entertain. 

He's a fucking idiot and I hope he isn't done learning his lesson after a simple apology that I'm 99% sure he didn't write. 

• Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

They'll spend the next few days/weeks figuring out eligibility for the lost season.  I mean, do you give the seniors an extra year and screw the rest?  Do you temporarily increase roster sizes for 4 years and grant everyone currently playing an extra year? 

They went to school for a degree. Please don’t grant them another year. 

11 hours ago, RedDirtTexan said:

We are still NIT champs then? 

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

BACK-TO-BACK NIT CHAMPS....

Texas thru Shaka's Outstanding Leadership defends it's NIT Championship!!!  😂

NOT back-to-back champs, but rather...

”Defending NIT Champs 2 years running.”

They'll raise a banner, maybe even have a brief parade/ceremony. I wouldn't blame them - communities will need whatever they can to feel better as we come out of this. Now the banner is more about recruiting, but I'm not sure there is a team in the country that wouldn't do it under these circumstances...maybe UNC, Duke. At least they were clear #1 in all polls so it's not full aggy

5 hours ago, toronto said:

Does Kansas have a claim for national championship? They end up #1 in both rankings. Like they used to do in football, think this counts. They also have all #1 votes, so consensus national champs!

My guess is the AP will release a final poll and give us a trophy. 

There is no AP trophy, other than coach and player of the year. I can pretty much guarantee KU will get another crystal basketball from the NABC, because that trophy technically signifies the No. 1 team in the final poll. Also the NABC headquarters are in Kansas City so...

I should amend my earlier thought that I would totally do a banner and parade, but not really comfortable saying "National Champions" because this sport has a decades long mechanism of crowning a champion and it didn't happen this year. But it would be accurate to say "2019-20 No. 1 Team".

Finally, KU would be dicks if they do or even publicize a ceremony prior to April when it would normally happen. Need to see how the virus goes and "read the room" on when it's OK to celebrate.

That’s right. NABC crystal trophy was what I was thinking of. We’ll do something at our team awards ceremony would be my guess. I don’t think Bill would approve of a parade or something public. That’s not really his style and last parade had a hundred thousand people there. We just cancelled 20k person events. A parade is never going to happen. 

my guess is a national championship banner if more than one outlet specifically crowns Ku “national champions” if we are just AP #1 I would guess that we will have some special banner made. All of our banners for conference championships, tourney appearances, and each round of advancement are 1 banner with multiple years. Our national title banners stand alone so I can see one going up that says “AP and coaches poll unanimous #1 - 2020” but I don’t see “national champions” being on it unless it is universally recognized 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I would forever mock them if they declared themselves champions of anything. A #1 ranking pre-tournament means nothing. They’d be forever the aggy of basketball. 

Way worse than us. People just roll their eyes when the SEC adds another pre-WW2 title based off some stupid .com computer poll.

Adding ANY kind of banner for a 2020 title would be so incredibly tone deaf and insulting. The backlash would be awesome though.

Like I said, I can't really think of a school that wouldn't do it in some fashion. Some would be over the top like UCF football a couple years ago, a school like KU probably try to be more technically correct.

It's about recruiting now and in the future. A few years from now, when some kid meets "former national champion Devon Dotson" on his visit, it won't matter that the internet made fun of them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I would forever mock them if they declared themselves champions of anything. A #1 ranking pre-tournament means nothing. They’d be forever the aggy of basketball. 

It would be just like God's Gift to declare themselves 2020 National Champions when no tournament was played. 

11 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Like I said, I can't really think of a school that wouldn't do it in some fashion. Some would be over the top like UCF football a couple years ago, a school like KU probably try to be more technically correct.

It's about recruiting now and in the future. A few years from now, when some kid meets "former national champion Devon Dotson" on his visit, it won't matter that the internet made fun of them.

LOL, yes, KU needs a fake natty to recruit. 

22 minutes ago, Bartles said:

There's no chance in hell that Mark Few--at Gonzaga, a school desperate for a championship, getting painfully close to one in the past--would allow them to hang a banner in these circumstances.

What do you tell a kid 30 years from now when they ask about it? "Oh yeah, that was the year that everyone was sick, the world was in turmoil, and everything got cancelled for the betterment of public health. But we were ranked #1 at the end of the most pointless regular season in sports this side of the NBA, so...YOLO!"

A school like Kansas, with real titles, hanging a banner would be pathetic.

I’d be shocked if KU did anything to claim a championship this year, including a banner. At most it may show up in a statistics book somewhere that they were consensus regular season No. 1. Wiki might show them on their national titles page with a huge astrick. 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

There's no chance in hell that Mark Few--at Gonzaga, a school desperate for a championship, getting painfully close to one in the past--would allow them to hang a banner in these circumstances.

What do you tell a kid 30 years from now when they ask about it? "Oh yeah, that was the year that everyone was sick, the world was in turmoil, and everything got cancelled for the betterment of public health. But we were ranked #1 at the end of the most pointless regular season in sports this side of the NBA, so...YOLO!"

A school like Kansas, with real titles, hanging a banner would be pathetic.

@'stache is probably right, and they might put it on their website with an appropriate asterisk in their stats pages, but not on anything about actual claimed championships.

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Way worse than us. People just roll their eyes when the SEC adds another pre-WW2 title based off some stupid .com computer poll.

Adding ANY kind of banner for a 2020 title would be so incredibly tone deaf and insulting. The backlash would be awesome though.

Nice try aggy. It would not be worse than the multiple fake titles y’all added to the side of your football stadium. Hell, you losers claimed a Big 12 conference title for a year you didn’t even make it into the conference title championship game. 
That’s way more desperate, pathetic and tone deaf than ending the season as the unanimous #1 team in CBB and hanging a banner, which I doubt KU will even do. 

• Like 1