Super Twosday Gametime Thread

Zonahorn

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This needs to be dropped from airplanes over college towns.

No, what needs to be dropped from airplanes over college towns is concrete plans to address those peoples' needs.

Are we seriously going to spend the next 8 fucking months saying, "NO WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT POLICY NOW!"?

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Aw, man. I thought Gen X would recognize Gen X.

Poor Kurt.

I did. But, I'm too fired up about whining people that are willing to sit on their butts. 

I don't have the patience for it. We had Dukakis. Fucker was all we had left. Apocryphal tales of yankees ordering medium rare chicken fried steaks. 

SWEATERGAWD I don't want to listen to a bunch of pearl clutching about Uncle Joe telling off a shithead or why I have to go be nice to a bunch of whiny fuckers that have spent the last few years alienating anyone that deigned to disagree. But, I will 

In Bloom 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

No, what needs to be dropped from airplanes over college towns is concrete plans to address those peoples' needs.

Are we seriously going to spend the next 8 fucking months saying, "NO WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT POLICY NOW!"?

Everything isn't a binary choice.  You can do both.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll/ho-hum-turnout-from-sanders-coalition-as-biden-takes-key-states-exit-poll-idUSKBN20X3AX

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With their candidate on the ropes, supporters of Bernie Sanders again failed to show up when it mattered on Tuesday as Democrats held six presidential nominating contests, including the big prize of Michigan, according to exit polling by Edison Research.

Bernie wasn't cheated four years ago and he's not getting cheated now. Trump would've won the popular vote against Bernie then and he'd do it now. 

Time to back Biden. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Understandable. 

What do you think the best path is to address this problem?

How do you engage and involve the young people? Listen? Invite them to the meeting? 

I don't know how to prod the young Hispanic/Latino voter into participating. If I did I'd be out there doing it. 

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

How do you engage and involve the young people? Listen? Invite them to the meeting? 

I don't know how to prod the young Hispanic/Latino voter into participating. If I did I'd be out there doing it. 

Bernie did it, we should look to him to learn.

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Get AOC to come out naked? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

But, at what cost? He lost the vast majority of black voters. 

Do you think he mobilized the Latino vote and the youth vote by going to them and saying, "FUCK BLACK PEOPLE WOOOO!"?

The black vote has gone against Bernie for Bernie-specific reasons. He ran against Hillary, who many of them liked. He is not a lifelong Democrat, a party with whom many of them deeply identify. He is an enemy of the Democratic Party establishment, a group of people where black Americans have an outsized influence relative to overall national politics.

The black vote also went against Bernie in this cycle for reasons they would have gone against ANY other candidate: Joe Biden was Obama's VP.

None of that has anything to do with youth/Latino outreach.

- Develop and promote policy that addresses the needs of those communities.
- Make an effort to actually reach out to those communities in a genuine way. (speak their language, literally and figuratively)
- Give power within your campaign to those communities so it's not just old boomers going to talk to them.

25 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Make an effort to actually reach out to those communities in a genuine way. (speak their language, literally and figuratively)

That's what he didn't do with black people this time or last. He didn't go to Selma. Bloomberg did. He at least tried. It's not one or the other, but he gave them no reason to trust him or even like him. He didn't do a damn thing to change from 2016 and he did worse this time. Partly because he didn't have Hillary over there as the alternative, but mostly because he did jack squat to reach the voters he had to have. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Do you think he mobilized the Latino vote and the youth vote by going to them and saying, "FUCK BLACK PEOPLE WOOOO!"?

The black vote has gone against Bernie for Bernie-specific reasons. He ran against Hillary, who many of them liked. He is not a lifelong Democrat, a party with whom many of them deeply identify. He is an enemy of the Democratic Party establishment, a group of people where black Americans have an outsized influence relative to overall national politics.

The black vote also went against Bernie in this cycle for reasons they would have gone against ANY other candidate: Joe Biden was Obama's VP.

- Make an effort to actually reach out to those communities in a genuine way. (speak their language, literally and figuratively)
- Give power within your campaign to those communities so it's not just old boomers going to talk to them.

All of this is bullshit.

• Like 2

Bernie spent six months trying to out left Elizabeth Warren at every turn then he had a heart attack, then he got ruthless to gain back the little ground he lost.  

Perhaps he should have tried to go after more mainstream democrats in the beginning instead of running the same failed insurgency campaign that shit on everything only to ultimately had the nomination to Joe Biden. 

7 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Had never seen that.  Still would.  Saucy Minx is more like it.

When you said you were a Millennial you weren't kidding were you? Go look up Linda Hamilton from the first Terminator movie if you haven't seen it. Apparently she was my husband's first movie crush (or whatever you call it). There were some fine beaus and babes for us Gen X'rs to watch growing up.

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

This feels like a bad sign. 

F'ing boomers.  They got us into this mess and looks like they're gonna keep us there.  

That generation literally can't die off fast enough.  

Come on Coronavirus...do your thing and save the republic!

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

F'ing boomers.  They got us into this mess and looks like they're gonna keep us there.  

That generation literally can't die off fast enough.  

Come on Coronavirus...do your thing and save the republic!

Why is it a bad sign? That Biden is very popular among those who actually bother to vote?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Fuck.  This election is going to be like walking into 7-11 for a hotdog, but the only two left are burnt and wrinkled from spinning there for the past couple of weeks.

Except one of those hotdogs is actually a big orange dog turd. You have to eat one. Make your choice. 

13 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Why is it a bad sign? That Biden is very popular among those who actually bother to vote?

Another way to look at it is that the area for biggest growth from 2016 is the yoots.  It worked in 2018 when they voted 2x the normal rate.  I’m hoping that happens again but that chart makes it feel like they’ll be less inspired.  We will see 

17 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Not a bad sign of the primary, but the general.

Biden's got terrible support levels among the age group that goes Dem in general elections.

agedems.png

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Not a bad sign of the primary, but the general.

Biden's got terrible support levels among the age group that goes Dem in general elections.

agedems.png

The groups that vote at much lower rates. Compare Biden's primary results to Clinton's, specifically the rural Midwest. They went from the guy who lost the nomination in 2016 to the guy who won it in 2020.

Older whites are more reliable voters, and they are Republicans.
Young people are less reliable voters, and they are Democrats.

Can Biden count on gaining so much among reliable Republican voters that he can afford to let his party's own base fall? I guess that's the gamble.