I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Gil Bang

12 hours ago, George said:

So wife has been feeling a little off and came down with slight fever (100.9) and is freaking out. She’s Wondering if we need to sleep in different rooms. It seems like if it’s Covid, I’m already screwed since we’ve been in close ;) contact.  

Local company here in ATX to release their first batch (30k) of tests on Monday. Cost is $135 after a pre-screening through them or affiliate. Good Luck, hoping nothing serious for the Mrs.....

https://www.statesman.com/business/20200319/austins-everlywell-set-to-offer-coronavirus-home-test-kits

Edited by BillyGoatHill

On 3/17/2020 at 9:35 PM, krevo said:

I've been hearing this same story from so many people.   Multiple friends reporting flu like symptoms from mid January to mid February but tested negative for flu.  All of them mention fatigue, sinus congestion and chest congestion.  Its kind of weird because they all say that it dragged on for weeks - 2-3 weeks in some cases.  

I've heard this same thing from 10 people I know closely (work, family, and friends)  All of them tested negative for flu.

My whole family had something similar the end of Jan/Beginning of Feb.  Dry cough, congestion, fatigue, and the incubation period was really long.  About a week from when the first person in the house got it (my wife) to when I got it.  And it lasted for a long fucking time.  

Would be nice for them to get the testing sorted out so I can see if that's what we had.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas_Rocks said:

I get the feeling that you can get this shit, then feel like you’re recovering, and then get it again.

They're thinking those are false negatives.  And we better hope that is the case because if there is no immunity after getting it, we're fucked.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

My whole family had something similar the end of Jan/Beginning of Feb.  Dry cough, congestion, fatigue, and the incubation period was really long.  About a week from when the first person in the house got it (my wife) to when I got it.  And it lasted for a long fucking time.  

Would be nice for them to get the testing sorted out so I can see if that's what we had.

My kiddos had something similar.

Ended up being negative for flu. Did have ear infections.... and had that handled via antibiotics.

Had coughs but not that bad... really tired.... drainage which I think caused the ear infections.

Don’t think it was Civid but sounds similar to you guys.

checking in from down unda. Many aussies still just not giving a fuck. really getting frustrated with the general Aussie mood of "no stress". I was already a bit frustrated with this attitude as I was building a business here and anything like "hey lets gets this meeting going" and Aussies are like "whoa slow down there mate, have we properly talked about everything else we can talk about because trying to work is just too fucking stressful to even consider just yet".

end rant

Day 7. I am feeling 98% recovered. Wife is getting slightly worse and I am getting more concerned. She is getting more lethargic and more tired than before. Cough is picking up and she is getting sounding more congested in her chest. This was my fear all along as she is susceptible to getting her colds in her lungs. I guess I will give it another day or two before calling the right medical authorities and getting her tested. 

I am also worried about running and 4xVID relay in our house too, as I am recovering and don't want to dip again. The breathing thing is not fun. 

Hope you peeps are all doing the best you can. Hang in there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

I get the feeling that you can get this shit, then feel like you’re recovering, and then get it again.

i had a slight bit of this. its been a 4 day recovery for me - and when i sleep well i feel worse. my wife and i noticed this and started documenting about 4 days ago. 

- good sleep = feel worse next day

- if your chest clears = you get the headache

- for me its one day up 10%, next day down 5%, rinse and repeat. 

its very non linear, very spastic as symptoms seems to move from day to day. very hard to know if you are done with it. i have never had the flu (i think), but wife seems to think its flu for her. again, we haven't been tested yet, but assuming its the VID because symptoms are all new for both of us (breathing problems). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

i had a slight bit of this. its been a 4 day recovery for me - and when i sleep well i feel worse. my wife and i noticed this and started documenting about 4 days ago. 

- good sleep = feel worse next day

- if your chest clears = you get the headache

- for me its one day up 10%, next day down 5%, rinse and repeat. 

its very non linear, very spastic as symptoms seems to move from day to day. very hard to know if you are done with it. i have never had the flu (i think), but wife seems to think its flu for her. again, we haven't been tested yet, but assuming its the VID because symptoms are all new for both of us (breathing problems). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Local company here in ATX to release their first batch (30k) of tests on Monday. Cost is $135 after a pre-screening through them or affiliate. Good Luck, hoping nothing serious for the Mrs.....

https://www.statesman.com/business/20200319/austins-everlywell-set-to-offer-coronavirus-home-test-kits

feels like theranos...

9-BD58-C70-1349-4-A8-F-9923-B472-C2-A4-B

12 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

We got our test results back today. Positive. We got tested last weekend.

Our experience has been varied. I was knocked on my ass with high fever, fatigue, and nausea for 3 days but never really developed a horrible cough. I've been coughing since (2 weeks now) but it's never been a bad one. Energy is finally back after 12 days or so -- before then it was multiple naps and no ability to do absolutely anything.

Spouse got it worse -- crazy deep cough, high fever, etc. Most miserable and debilitating illness ever. Cough was absolutely brutal. Still coughing like crazy but now 11 days out it is getting better daily.

Kids had more minor symptoms -- one with fever and cough, one with basically nothing.

Anyway it's good to be on the other side of this fucking thing because it wrecked our family for a good week and a half. Docs at the clinic on day 3 of symptoms refused to test me and told me it was the flu. Well they were wrong. We got tested four days later, negative for flu...positive for COVID.

And like Staboner both spouse and kid went for a 1-2 days without fever but then it returned, which is what prolonged the illness. So if you get it and your fever goes away, I'd recommend just taking it easy for a couple days after because it ain't necessarily gone. Don't rush back into action.

I better have immunity after this crap.

Wait....is this our winner?  

18 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Our experience has been varied. I was knocked on my ass with high fever, fatigue, and nausea for 3 days but never really developed a horrible cough. I've been coughing since (2 weeks now) but it's never been a bad one. Energy is finally back after 12 days or so -- before then it was multiple naps and no ability to do absolutely anything.

Spouse got it worse -- crazy deep cough, high fever, etc. Most miserable and debilitating illness ever. Cough was absolutely brutal. Still coughing like crazy but now 11 days out it is getting better daily.

Kids had more minor symptoms -- one with fever and cough, one with basically nothing.

Anyway it's good to be on the other side of this fucking thing because it wrecked our family for a good week and a half. Docs at the clinic on day 3 of symptoms refused to test me and told me it was the flu. Well they were wrong. We got tested four days later, negative for flu...positive for COVID.

And like Staboner both spouse and kid went for a 1-2 days without fever but then it returned, which is what prolonged the illness. So if you get it and your fever goes away, I'd recommend just taking it easy for a couple days after because it ain't necessarily gone. Don't rush back into action.

wow. that sounds like hell. you guys got all the shit symptoms there, including the fever and nausea. sorry to hear but happy to hear you are doing better. all that matters is a positive trajectory.  thanks for checking in

yeah immunity for sure. 

and you seem similar timeline to me. which i am afraid means we are sick in Self Q and when done we wake up to a full lock down, cuz thats the only way out i am afraid. stunning how we still can't get through people's heads. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NAVY said:

Found a reddit page for peeps with confirmed cases. Do not want to catch this shit. Spring break fucktards are going to regret their bullshit... some for the rest of their very short lives 

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive

The stupid in the first 20 or so posts is just insane.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

We had a weird thing rip through our household of 6 from mid-Feb to early March.  Mild fevers for most, dry cough and fatigue for everyone.  None of us got to the "shortness of breath" point, though.  Varying degrees of sinus congestion, no sneezing or watery eyes (i.e., not allergies).

I dismissed it as a cold or unvaccinated flu.

Now I wonder.  We've all recovered, but that cough was fucking real, and lasted 2-3 weeks for most of us.

Stay healthy, my friends.  (Easier said than done.)

Same thing at ours, but about 2 weeks earlier on the timeframe, but yeah---lasted the better part of a month.  My two little girls got it bad for awhile, but it cleared up pretty quick and clean.  My wife had it most mild out of all of us.  Mine never got terribly intense, but lasted a whole month.  Fevers for the girls, fatigue for the wife, and awkward cough for me the whole time.  Real bad sinus congestion for my eldest daughter and myself for the first week of it.  They're all doing better. I still clear a lot but that's mostly due to my GERD so of course I get weird looks.  I had pleurisy many years ago, so that didn't help.  But I was told years ago by my physician that pleurisy doesn't typically just last indefinitely unless an underlying incident.  

How old are your kids out of curiosity because this is almost the same thing/timeframe/area that happened with us and we didn't understand it at the time.  By the time it got bad with one of our girls and myself, wife put the hammer down on no medical visits due to the virus outbreak.  

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I would like to see the antibody test come out soon.  I think everyone should have to take that. I have said for a bit, would not be shocked if more people had it and did not know it as they were asymptomatic or thought it was a cold.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, staboner said:

wow. that sounds like hell. you guys got all the shit symptoms there, including the fever and nausea. sorry to hear but happy to hear you are doing better. all that matters is a positive trajectory.  thanks for checking in

yeah immunity for sure. 

and you seem similar timeline to me. which i am afraid means we are sick in Self Q and when done we wake up to a full lock down, cuz thats the only way out i am afraid. stunning how we still can't get through people's heads. 

Yeah. People need to take this shit seriously. We are in good health in our family and have decent means for food, insurance, health care, remote access for work. And it still knocked us out of commission for a week and a half. We self-imposed quarantine / lockdown since the first symptoms started and haven't had any close contact with anyone outside the house for nearly two weeks. We'll stay locked in for the next several days just to make sure we aren't contagious (no fever now for 4 days, but trying to be extra careful). But we are looking forward to leaving the house. Good news is that this won't be the apocalypse, but for us (being one of the first to go through it) is a weird timeline -- I feel like we're just getting our lives back just in time for the world to collapse for a month or so.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, I would like to see the antibody test come out soon.  I think everyone should have to take that. I have said for a bit, would not be shocked if more people had it and did not know it as they were asymptomatic or thought it was a cold.

Dead on. We'll add a +1 to the official number of cases, but in reality all four of our family has had it, no doubt. This is much more widespread than most people realize.

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Same thing at ours, but about 2 weeks earlier on the timeframe, but yeah---lasted the better part of a month.  My two little girls got it bad for awhile, but it cleared up pretty quick and clean.  My wife had it most mild out of all of us.  Mine never got terribly intense, but lasted a whole month.  Fevers for the girls, fatigue for the wife, and awkward cough for me the whole time.  Real bad sinus congestion for my eldest daughter and myself for the first week of it.  They're all doing better. I still clear a lot but that's mostly due to my GERD so of course I get weird looks.  I had pleurisy many years ago, so that didn't help.  But I was told years ago by my physician that pleurisy doesn't typically just last indefinitely unless an underlying incident.  

How old are your kids out of curiosity because this is almost the same thing/timeframe/area that happened with us and we didn't understand it at the time.  By the time it got bad with one of our girls and myself, wife put the hammer down on no medical visits due to the virus outbreak.  

Grandson is 5, but he's prone to all kinds of kid shit, and his symptoms weren't really all that similar to the rest of us.

Oldest kid is 27, she gets "the shit" from time to time.  Mostly it was me, my wife, our 18 YO and our 16 YO who had the most similar cases, including fever and that persistent cough that took weeks to go away.  I run cold -- if you measure my temp, it's usually about 96.8 F, and I never took my temp, but it felt like I was warm.  The other three ranged from 99 F to 103 F on and off for about a week.

And this runs the risk of being on the Cloak Room side, but I'd like to see "survivors" like us be tested for antibodies / immunity and then pressed into mandatory community service to help wherever it's needed. Make survivors wear wristbands or something. That way the community could start getting back on its feet. But I can't risk doing that until I'm 100% sure I'm not at risk of spreading the virus (or getting it again).

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

And this runs the risk of being on the Cloak Room side, but I'd like to see "survivors" like us be tested for antibodies / immunity and then pressed into mandatory community service to help wherever it's needed. Make survivors wear wristbands or something. That way the community could start getting back on its feet. But I can't risk doing that until I'm 100% sure I'm not at risk of spreading the virus (or getting it again).

you were not hospitalized, correct.  just rode it out at home?  did you ever worry that you were dying?

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

Glad y'all took all the proper steps after experiencing symptoms! Any idea how you were exposed?

Wife and I had a serious talk about what we would do if any of us got sick. Since testing in Texas is pretty much non-existent, and every one of us in our house had the flu last month, we decided that if any of us got a fever, we would lock the house down. This would mainly suck for our 9yo, since her grandparents are right down the street and she wouldn't be able to see them the whole time (or go play with her friends outside, though that might be ok since some of them are little fuckshits). 

I work from home anyways, and my wife is a school nurse, so she's basically WFH for the rest of the school year as well. 

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

This is a really good idea. If you could prove immunity, people could get to work helping others. 

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

Glad y'all took all the proper steps after experiencing symptoms! Any idea how you were exposed?

No idea how we were exposed. I took lots of precautions (hand washing, wipes, etc). But I was definitely out in the world going about my normal business, as was everyone, and I guess I was just wrong place wrong time.

3 minutes ago, used2b said:

@honolulu horn are you in Hawaii, really? How do you think you got it? I am glad you guys are all ok now.

Relocated from Hawaii to Denver a few years ago. I think it was just wrong place, wrong time.

I hope my story isn't alarmist or anything. We managed it and although it was a bad sickness, I never thought we were at risk for dying. Fever never got really high and breathing was never urgently concerning. It was just really miserable and protracted. Honestly one of the worst parts was just being in limbo. It sucked that my doc dismissed the chance for me to get tested early on, assuming it was just the flu, and then being in limbo and then awaiting the covid test results a week later was really miserable. Honestly in a weird way when we got the positive test result it came as a relief -- the symptoms were abating and we knew we were on the road to recovery, and we knew what caused it. It also makes me a bit more optimistic about the disease -- lots of people will get it (or already have it) but for most people it will be at worst a really miserable 7-10 days. Which sucks, but we will get past it and get our lives back.

I wish testing was more readily available as I think that would address a lot of the panic and concern. That has been the most difficult part of this, psychologically speaking.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Wait, so is @honolulu horn our first confirmed Covid19 case?  Was @staboner confirmed?  Glad you both are coming through.

Edited by Sbbruin

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Wait, so is @honolulu horn our first confirmed Covid19 case?  Was @staboner confirmed?  Glad you both are coming through.

no, we are not confirmed. we don't fit the guidelines to get tested (!). however, given i have never had symptoms like this (breathing issues) then i think i have it. its entirely possible that we have something else too, but sure seems like a strange coincidence.

I think honolulu horn is indeed the first confirmed case. he and his family had is much worse than us by the sound of it. glad they are on the up and up.

• Like 2

Fuck that. Volunteer if you want but that mandatory bullshit is just that, bullshit.

I've been hearing this same story from so many people.   Multiple friends reporting flu like symptoms from mid January to mid February but tested negative for flu.  All of them mention fatigue, sinus congestion and chest congestion.  Its kind of weird because they all say that it dragged on for weeks - 2-3 weeks in some cases.  

I've heard this same thing from 10 people I know closely (work, family, and friends)  All of them tested negative for flu.
Same. Cut its way through our family too. The docs on the other thread said there was an adenovirus going around from early Jan to late Feb and that's what it probably was.

10 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Relocated from Hawaii to Denver a few years ago. I think it was just wrong place, wrong time.

I hope my story isn't alarmist or anything. We managed it and although it was a bad sickness, I never thought we were at risk for dying. Fever never got really high and breathing was never urgently concerning. It was just really miserable and protracted. Honestly one of the worst parts was just being in limbo. It sucked that my doc dismissed the chance for me to get tested early on, assuming it was just the flu, and then being in limbo and then awaiting the covid test results a week later was really miserable. Honestly in a weird way when we got the positive test result it came as a relief -- the symptoms were abating and we knew we were on the road to recovery, and we knew what caused it. It also makes me a bit more optimistic about the disease -- lots of people will get it (or already have it) but for most people it will be at worst a really miserable 7-10 days. Which sucks, but we will get past it and get our lives back.

I wish testing was more readily available as I think that would address a lot of the panic and concern. That has been the most difficult part of this, psychologically speaking.

Thank you. My family all lives in Colorado. It's def hitting there harder than many places for some reason, or maybe it's the fact they seem to be testing a little more relative to other places. Glad you guys are ok. 

12 minutes ago, used2b said:

Thank you. My family all lives in Colorado. It's def hitting there harder than many places for some reason, or maybe it's the fact they seem to be testing a little more relative to other places. Glad you guys are ok. 

Thanks. Ski area counties are all hit worse than other counties in Colorado, I assume due to all of the international travel in January and February.

11 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Do you mind sharing how old you and your wife are?

I don't know if I went into this in depth earlier in this thread or not but I need a little help on my timeline of exposure to this. I can't get the info I'm looking for online.

Sinus infection/head cold knocked me on my butt and I stayed home from work on 3/2. Went back to work the following day even though felt pretty blah the rest of the week. Felt better Friday and felt normal by Saturday when we went for a brief time to our friend's house party on 3/7. While there, bumped into an older gay couple who we are very good friends with. Visited with them for probably an hour, whole kiss hello thing that gay guys tend to do. FF to 3/17 -- we have been forced to work from home for the foreseeable future. During the day while at home, I start feeling off again. Head hurts, cough which has never really gone completely away from two weeks prior. Slightly spooked, I start taking my temp through the day. No fever at all.

That night we see a FB post from one of the gay guy's son saying to pray for his father because he was at the hospital hooked up to a ventilator. Partner hops on and says they're convinced he has COVID-19 as he has all the symptoms. (Guy in hospital is a former AA FA who no longer flies but has meetings with current FA's all during the week.) Both friend in hospital and partner are tested. I don't seem to get much better but don't get much worse. Still no fever. Head issues persist. Only taking Delsym and Tylenol. Friend's test comes back positive on Thursday and I feel like I'm feeling better. But yesterday, I just back-slid. My eyes felt swollen and hurt to move them too much in any side direction. A little diarrhea cropped up.

Finally texted what was going on to a surgeon friend of mine to get a handle on the timeline. Here's the deal -- I was definitely exposed to the virus 2 weeks ago today. In the meantime, I have NOT had a fever at any time but have experienced cold/sinus/allergy like symptoms starting 10 days after exposure (cough was kind pervasive before, through and after exposure). Slight achy-ness Wednesday night but nothing serious.

Thoughts?

56 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Do you mind sharing how old you and your wife are?

Do you mind sharing pi.......

15 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Turned 50 the day my symptoms hit. Wife is in the same age range. So far 50 has sucked the goat ass.

Never mind

• Like 2

Are people with probable but untested Coronavirus getting clear guidance on how they should be taken care of at home? If some in the household don’t have it, how do they bring people food and meds, for example, given there’s no protective equipment available?