I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Gil Bang

Are people with probable but untested Coronavirus getting clear guidance on how they should be taken care of at home? If some in the household don’t have it, how do they bring people food and meds, for example, given there’s no protective equipment available?

CDC website has some pretty good recommendations. Isolate if you are sick. Distance, handwashing, separate rooms/ bathrooms, bleach everything down. Stay home. Masks if you have them. Treat your sick loved one like they have leprosy.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/index.html

6 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

CDC website has some pretty good recommendations. Isolate if you are sick. Distance, handwashing, separate rooms/ bathrooms, bleach everything down. Stay home. Masks if you have them. Treat your sick loved one like they have leprosy.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/index.html

Ship them to Hawaii?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Sent in my BS&W screener just a few minutes ago. Fiance and I both feeling pretty crappy but without some of the main symptoms. We both have some non-urgent diahrrhea and also both of us have some serious fatigue. No coughing from either of us and fever checks are ranging from 94-97 (thanks cheap ass thermometer). I get a bit of chest discomfort but no pain. We're both on day3 of this. We'll see what's happening. 

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Sent in my BS&W screener just a few minutes ago. Fiance and I both feeling pretty crappy but without some of the main symptoms. We both have some non-urgent diahrrhea and also both of us have some serious fatigue. No coughing from either of us and fever checks are ranging from 94-97 (thanks cheap ass thermometer). I get a bit of chest discomfort but no pain. We're both on day3 of this. We'll see what's happening. 

Good luck to you both.    And all on this thread.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Evisit went about as expected. Maybe you do and don't leave your house for 14 days so here's a dr note and good luck.

• Like 1

I just got news that one of the guys on a business trip I was on March 9th-14th has been given a positive diagnosis.

Just called Travis County hotline, they said call primary care.  Primary care doc said quarantine 14 days from no symptoms, not testing any of us unless we require medical care.  I had a case of the runs Saturday, wife feels like someone is sitting on her chest.  She had a slight fever Friday but nothing over the 100.4 threshold.

I've got a 3 year old with a vivid imagination and a 7 month old.  

This sucks.

On 3/21/2020 at 12:28 PM, Dbeasy said:

Are people with probable but untested Coronavirus getting clear guidance on how they should be taken care of at home? If some in the household don’t have it, how do they bring people food and meds, for example, given there’s no protective equipment available?

if people can't figure that out, there is no hope.

• Like 1

Yesterday I developed a cough and breathing was harder, but otherwise, I felt fine. Today I've had a headache all day, worse cough, more trouble breathing, no appetite, and extremely low energy (I can't be on my feet for more than a few minutes before having to go back to bed).

So far, no fever at all, which is bizarre, because it feels like flu. Also, I read that covid can affect your senses of smell and taste, and those are fine. I guess I'll try one of these tele-screening sites if I get a fever.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:44 PM, C-Man said:

Well, this might be it. Temp seems to be elevating slightly but not into fever range yet. Not feeling very well, which is odd because the best I’ve felt since early this week was this afternoon.

I hope your insured?  Cause i know a guy.  Give it hell man.  You got this. 

On 3/21/2020 at 12:28 PM, Dbeasy said:

My dad dropped off some food  at the front door that went uneaten plus a spare bottle of Robitussin in case we run out (no cough but using just in case). I feel bad for those that don't have other family options. 

2 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

Yesterday I developed a cough and breathing was harder, but otherwise, I felt fine. Today I've had a headache all day, worse cough, more trouble breathing, no appetite, and extremely low energy (I can't be on my feet for more than a few minutes before having to go back to bed).

So far, no fever at all, which is bizarre, because it feels like flu. Also, I read that covid can affect your senses of smell and taste, and those are fine. I guess I'll try one of these tele-screening sites if I get a fever.

I've heard that many who catch this don't get a fever right away, so keep monitoring your temperature, and hope you pull through relatively quickly whatever it is.  Are you quarantining yourself from your wife and kids?

My fever started about 12 hours within first symptoms, and when it came it hit like a sledgehammer.  Oddly I still had my appetite.  No cough though.  It's possible I had something other than covid, in which case I'll likely get double-whacked in the next couple weeks.

I've heard that many who catch this don't get a fever right away, so keep monitoring your temperature, and hope you pull through relatively quickly whatever it is.  Are you quarantining yourself from your wife and kids?
My fever started about 12 hours within first symptoms, and when it came it hit like a sledgehammer.  Oddly I still had my appetite.  No cough though.  It's possible I had something other than covid, in which case I'll likely get double-whacked in the next couple weeks.
I'll keep watching it. It bumped up to 99.5 but came back down. I still feel like it's not CV -- the odds are just so against it -- but I'll probably know one way or the other in the coming days.

I'm sequestered in one room for the most part, but I've been locked in my house for over a week. So, if I have it, then I've had it for a while and have been around the wife and kids the whole time.

58 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

I'll keep watching it. It bumped up to 99.5 but came back down. I still feel like it's not CV -- the odds are just so against it -- but I'll probably know one way or the other in the coming days.

I'm sequestered in one room for the most part, but I've been locked in my house for over a week. So, if I have it, then I've had it for a while and have been around the wife and kids the whole time.

That's where I am. I started feeling off last Tuesday. No fever ever though it was creeping up on Saturday night. Took a long, hot shower and that seemed to have knocked it all out. Still haven't really felt very well since then, though. Just general malaise, weakness, minor cough, headache and pressure in head (particularly the eyes) and some minor body aches (though that's probably as much from all the laying around). But yet no fever. I felt pretty good for a good bit of today but regressed some in the afternoon. I'm supposed to have a tele-visit with my PCP tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Figured I'd update everyone since I was posting a lot in this thread and seeing similar symptoms reported.

March 10th - 13th - woke up with a sore throat and felt like shit that Tuesday morning (tired, groggy, nose starting to feel stuffy)  Stayed home with my 2 year old who also woke up saying her throat hurt.  Checked my temp religiously from that Tuesday until Friday with no fever although I had cold sweats, stuffy nose, clammy skin, etc.  The minute I woke up I started hitting the zinc lozenges every 4 hours, a long with a bunch of dayquil.   I slept all day Tuesday with the little one and another 12 hours Wednesday.  Went to the doc Wednesday morning to get flu and strep swabbed - both negative.  Had a  Doc gave me a script of prednisone, benzonatate cough pills, and some flonase (lol)  Didn't use any of it because I wanted to see my symptoms happen in real time.  Continued to feel shitty until Friday night.  Still no cough, or fever at all.   Sat morning I had a completely random watery diarrhea and my stomach was making weird growling noises.  Appetite was waning and even though I was up and functioning with essentially a head cold - I felt like hammered horseshit.

March 14 - 16th - Aside from stuffy nose and general tiredness I was feeling a lot better.  Quit taking Dayquil and continued to take a zinc lozenge a few times a day.  

March 17th-20th - Still feeling run down and sleeping a lot, losing appetite and diarrhea randomly appearing.   Finally started feeling tightness in my chest that Friday even though most of the symptoms were completely gone.  The tightness was not a stabbing sensation or pain at all - I was just losing my breath while being on conference calls pacing around the house.   Called up the doc and asked for an after hours appt to have my lungs checked.  They checked and said no pneumonia, just airway inflammation.  Gave me a script of Albuterol and a script of Zithromax just because it had been 10 days and sinus/URI might be setting in.   Started Zithro that Friday night.

March 20-23 - Feeling way better the past few days.  Its weird because it feels like I'm still recovering from being sick and its been almost 14 fucking days.  My daughter is fully recovered and my wife and other daughter have been mostly separate from us for 10+ days (thank god for the mother in law suite in the new home)  Still never developed fever or cough.  I quit drinking and nicotine save for the occasional dip so I'm probably detoxing from that shit too.  I'm going to finish the ABs and then check in the with the doc on whether I should start taking prednisone.  

One thing I figured I'd mention - the doc said they've seen a wave of flu-negative folks in the the last 2 months and believe an adenovirus or other virus to be the culprit.  It can cause flu-like symptoms and cold symptoms and can leave you with a lingering cough (I dont ever really get coughs when I get sick)  Either way - it feels good to be on the up even though I can't say I fully feel 100% even after 14 straight days. 

one more thing - I had a litany of symptoms from cold/flu like but never once ran a fever or developed a cough.  Everything else was happening almost at random over the last 14 days.  Tired, groggy, sinus congestion, runny nose, post nasal drip, ears feeling full, loss of appetite, diarrhea, clammy skin, cold sweats, and eventually shortness of breath.  

Edited by krevo
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Evisit went about as expected. Maybe you do and don't leave your house for 14 days so here's a dr note and good luck.

There's not enough reagent in Temple to run test on patients at low risk for Covid complications. Last week you probably would have been tested. Next week you maybe able to get a test if needed. The will to test is there, the way is not. And that is why our numbers will be so inaccurate in Texas.

I can tell you that when we had looser testing restrictions, the vast majority of tests were returning negative. These were all people who screened to be at risk to having Covid due to symptoms and/or direct exposure.  We still have not had any testing "just because."

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

There's not enough reagent in Temple to run test on patients at low risk for Covid complications. Last week you probably would have been tested. Next week you maybe able to get a test if needed. The will to test is there, the way is not. And that is why our numbers will be so inaccurate in Texas.

I can tell you that when we had looser testing restrictions, the vast majority of tests were returning negative. These were all people who screened to be at risk to having Covid due to symptoms and/or direct exposure.  We still have not had any testing "just because."

Good to know and we are hopeful because both of us in the house are still cough less and just ass blasting two to three days into it.  I understand why I wasn't tested without a cough or breathing problems. Still sucks for anxiety though.

That's where I am. I started feeling off last Tuesday. No fever ever though it was creeping up on Saturday night. Took a long, hot shower and that seemed to have knocked it all out. Still haven't really felt very well since then, though. Just general malaise, weakness, minor cough, headache and pressure in head (particularly the eyes) and some minor body aches (though that's probably as much from all the laying around). But yet no fever. I felt pretty good for a good bit of today but regressed some in the afternoon. I'm supposed to have a tele-visit with my PCP tomorrow morning.
Not fun at all. Hang in there and keep us updated.

Dispatches from Australia. Day 11 in Self Q.

Can't get tested according to the Vic Gov website. https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/health-services-and-general-practitioners-coronavirus-disease-covid-19

The circular cluterfuck there is astounding. 

I am learning quite a bit about Aussie culture at this time. This "no stress" mantra is now translating into a country that is really trying not to admit there is communal spread. Last week a newspaper took a pic of Bondi Beach in Sydney and ran with a headline "Careless American tourists...." and after some backlash made it "careless aussies and tourists...".

I get it. This is the human condition and we are all digesting at our own pace here, and this isn't just an Aussie thing. But I feel like the "No stress" thing is really hampering reality down here a bit. My business partner is angry today and concerned. I was concerned a month ago. Another friend cannot believe she can't go to the gym. I am on day 11 of sitting on my ass and I am sorry to hear that you can't go to the gym. 

Hang in there friends. Feeling ok. Wife is say 90% still and just struggling to get fully healed. the symptoms are sporadic, but definitely not severe. We will be fine. 

*end transmission* 

• Like 4

I am beginning to wonder if I didn't have mild case running from around a week before Christmas until the first week of January...I can remember where and exactly when I caught this bug, whatever it was. I was on the way up to picking up my daughter at her friend's house way out in Klein, and I stopped to get a Topo Chico at a Valero up there. The clerk had a gargantuan coughing fit when I stepped up to the register, right after she picked up my TC. It got so bad she set down my TC and walked in the break room, clocked out, and went home, making hand signals to her co-workers because she couldn't speak.

Anyway, like an idiot I bought that TC and drank it. She didn't cough on it, I was thinking, she just touched it...Whatever. This was way before any of us had ever heard of CV. 

Anyway, within 48 hours I was sick for two weeks or more with some of these symptoms. I was never incapacitated but there was a period in there where I felt good to go for a couple of days -- well enough to ride my bike a few miles in order to pick up some new clothes for a party I needed to attend on the weekend (a wedding of a good friend) -- and by that time, it came back and I couldn't go. And then the day after that I was finally back to normal for good. 

The two olds I live with were also sick at the same time. All three of us were coughing like mofos for weeks. 

I would 100 percent write this off as wishful thinking -- that I am hoping that there is no chance I will get this going forward -- but I just heard a Brit expat who lived in Wuhan say he caught it there in November. If it was already out and about then there, then it certainly it could have made it to Houston by December.

So Dr. Persse (the "Health Authority for the Houston Health Department" who has been a little shaky on his data in this whole thing) said during the COH/Harris PC that in the US we see less fever as an early symptom and more GI, particularly the green apple quickstep.

Last week I had three days when I felt like my upper chest/throat was closing up for a few hours.  Would go away and come back for hours at a time.  Not debilitating, but kinda like something was clogged up in there preventing me from breathing deeply enough.  It felt like the upper chest/throat area, though, not deep down in there like has been described.  No cough - I could have done so voluntarily but didn't feel like it would help.  I would have taken one of those inhaler things if offered but muddled through without.

Then I have had hardcore liquid squirts for the last 3-4 days.  Finally letting up today and the chest thing is back again but milder.

Until now I thought that all of this was 10 days without rain while the town was drenched in oak pollen followed by the adjustment to a heathier diet.  Now I'm kinda wishfully wondering if this is it.  It started right in day 5-6 after my last contact with the outside world.  But then again no one else in my family had anything like it - the kids nothing at all.  Wife had a slight cough for a few days (like 5 coughs a day) during the height of the oak festival, but that's as close as I can find.

• Like 1

I was in Denver March 4th and 5th. I basically squuezed in one more trip to an important customer before my company went full lockdown on travel. The following week I had a touch of the squirts and a stuffy head for a day followed by a dry cough for about a week. Never had a fever, but I had that skin crawling chill for about a day. Never really had any shortness of breath or anything, though. Was probably just the oak pollen crud, but if I was gonna get exposed, that trip would have been the one. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I was in Denver March 4th and 5th. I basically squuezed in one more trip to an important customer before my company went full lockdown on travel. The following week I had a touch of the squirts and a stuffy head for a day followed by a dry cough for about a week. Never had a fever, but I had that skin crawling chill for about a day. Never really had any shortness of breath or anything, though. Was probably just the oak pollen crud, but if I was gonna get exposed, that trip would have been the one. 

felt the same last week. And never has oak allergies  given me the squirts. 

How are you doing? For me, the last 2 days have been the same. In the morning, I feel like shit, have no energy, and need to cough a lot. By 11 or so, I feel almost 100% and stay like that for the rest of the day. And no fever, even in the morning. It's gotta be something else... allergies, or I'm fighting a different bug.

Most of the infections in CO during that time were in mountain resorts, although I'm sure the airplanes were full of those folks, too.

My diahrrhea is gone and all that is left is some chest tightness and fatigue.  No coughing and feel pretty good until about 5 or 6 every evening then get a bit down, but nothing too bad. No fever so far as far as I can tell. Might've been something else as today is about day 5 or so and still no cough, fever, or breathing difficulties. 

1 hour ago, Mikey4 said:
On 3/23/2020 at 6:00 PM, C-Man said:

How are you doing? For me, the last 2 days have been the same. In the morning, I feel like shit, have no energy, and need to cough a lot. By 11 or so, I feel almost 100% and stay like that for the rest of the day. And no fever, even in the morning. It's gotta be something else... allergies, or I'm fighting a different bug.

Had a tele-visit with my PCP yesterday morning and he thought with my symptoms and contact with confirmed COVID-19 positive case, I should probably try and get tested. He directed me to Baylor Scott & White and I did their online survey and the follow-up if you ticked a few boxes. My treatment plan didn't include a COVID test so FML. With no fever, they won't spare a test. Oddly, I felt substantially better yesterday afternoon -- the best I've felt in more than a week -- but as the evening wore on, I felt worse and worse. A hot shower made me feel better -- as per usual -- and I got in bed with a nagging cough but was able to sleep through the night (odd that this cough doesn't keep me from sleeping).

Woke up this morning, feeling like I did yesterday so improvement. PCP called me this afternoon and asked about my Baylor screening. He suggested some others. I did Medical City's this afternoon and it's the exact same template, same questions -- just has a Medical City branding on it. Answered the questions the same and they think it's a viral upper respiratory infection, aka a cold. No test.

I feel like I'm either about to completely clear this shit or I'm in for hell on earth if/when the fever sets in. I'm on Day 8 of feeling shitty. I will definitely wind up taking the antibody test if/when that ever comes on line because I'd really like to know for sure whether I had it or not.

Again, this is just flat out insane that everybody in a situation like mine can't take a fucking test.

• Like 3

My daughter (no pictures) who has 3 kids at home, been fevery, coughing, sore throat, did online Dr visit - they said go get tested.
She goes in for her Covid test - but they give her flu & strep tests first to rule that out, and less then 10 minutes later she gets great news.

She "only" has strep, she said she had never prayed to have the flu before but she feels like she won by not having CV-19 - so that's my good news for the day

and yet all I can think of is "I hope its not both" (I may be on the internet just a little bit too much)

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Had a tele-visit with my PCP yesterday morning and he thought with my symptoms and contact with confirmed COVID-19 positive case, I should probably try and get tested. He directed me to Baylor Scott & White and I did their online survey and the follow-up if you ticked a few boxes. My treatment plan didn't include a COVID test so FML. With no fever, they won't spare a test. Oddly, I felt substantially better yesterday afternoon -- the best I've felt in more than a week -- but as the evening wore on, I felt worse and worse. A hot shower made me feel better -- as per usual -- and I got in bed with a nagging cough but was able to sleep through the night (odd that this cough doesn't keep me from sleeping).

Woke up this morning, feeling like I did yesterday so improvement. PCP called me this afternoon and asked about my Baylor screening. He suggested some others. I did Medical City's this afternoon and it's the exact same template, same questions -- just has a Medical City branding on it. Answered the questions the same and they think it's a viral upper respiratory infection, aka a cold. No test.

I feel like I'm either about to completely clear this shit or I'm in for hell on earth if/when the fever sets in. I'm on Day 8 of feeling shitty. I will definitely wind up taking the antibody test if/when that ever comes on line because I'd really like to know for sure whether I had it or not.

Again, this is just flat out insane that everybody in a situation like mine can't take a fucking test.

yeah that sucks. somewhat same boat for us down here. I don't have the symptoms as bad as you. Hope it levels out for you soon my homie

Down here you have to have the symptoms AND have traveled somewhere in last 14 days. and/or made out with a tested and confirmed case

Then - wait, it gets better - they keep repeating to the public that most cases are from people who have traveled.

NO STRESS

wrocs9khBWumBIITil2U4pULLbAh4b9M4IsZdf9WYptDDUQ2RQH9lR8GeLRrRfeITTIpMTma00Z5HSFS (272×210)

Edited by staboner

My daughter (no pictures) who has 3 kids at home, been fevery, coughing, sore throat, did online Dr visit - they said go get tested.
She goes in for her Covid test - but they give her flu & strep tests first to rule that out, and less then 10 minutes later she gets great news.
She "only" has strep, she said she had never prayed to have the flu before but she feels like she won by not having CV-19 - so that's my good news for the day
and yet all I can think of is "I hope its not both" (I may be on the internet just a little bit too much)
So strange that being diagnosed with strep is actually great news. Glad to hear it's not covid.

I too am interested in the antibody test (assuming my symptoms don't get to the point where I get tested in the immediate future). I'm almost certain mine is just a cold, but only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Does having strep or flu somehow preclude you from having covid?

Woke up with a headache and haven't been able to get rid of it all day.  Slept about 3 hours so feeling shitty from that already.  77 degrees here today and windy as fuck.  Registered in my brain, "damn, it's that time of year again"  Checked pollen count, 9.8 and will get successively higher each day for 5 days.

Sometimes I really hate spring.

1 hour ago, staboner said:

yeah that sucks. somewhat same boat for us down here. I don't have the symptoms as bad as you. Hope it levels out for you soon my homie

Down here you have to have the symptoms AND have traveled somewhere in last 14 days. and/or made out with a tested and confirmed case

Then - wait, it gets better - they keep repeating to the public that most cases are from people who have traveled.

NO STRESS

wrocs9khBWumBIITil2U4pULLbAh4b9M4IsZdf9WYptDDUQ2RQH9lR8GeLRrRfeITTIpMTma00Z5HSFS (272×210)

Where are you? SA? Austin?

Woke up with a headache and haven't been able to get rid of it all day.  Slept about 3 hours so feeling shitty from that already.  77 degrees here today and windy as fuck.  Registered in my brain, "damn, it's that time of year again"  Checked pollen count, 9.8 and will get successively higher each day for 5 days.
Sometimes I really hate spring.

This. Felt I was gonna die and noticed my car getting yellow from oak pollen. No fever, just death allergy shit.