I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Gil Bang

On 4/1/2020 at 8:32 AM, JBJ said:

My two youngest woke up with fevers this AM

It was nice knowing y'all.

My 3-year old had a 103+ fever late last week. (one thermometer said 105, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't accurate). It lasted 24 hours and disappeared. I doubt it was Covid-19 as we had been isolating since the 14th. But, high fevers are scary none-the-less. 

• Like 1

Ya there's a nasty adenovirus going around too.  My oldest had 103+ 3 weeks ago, not a single symptom other than that.  We started WFH at that point anyways, but everyone else in the house was able to deal with whatever it was without any symptoms.

All I got is that companies that do viral testing are going to make bank on the backside of this crisis.

Y’all keep in mind that kids can run higher fevers much more easily than adults. As long as you can bring the fever down with Tylenol, tepid baths, or chilled oral liquids then kids are pretty resilient. As said above, there are still multiple viruses besides novel Coronavirus running through Texas.

• Like 1

Just now, Newdoc said:

Y’all keep in mind that kids can run higher fevers much more easily than adults. As long as you can bring the fever down with Tylenol, tepid baths, or chilled oral liquids then kids are pretty resilient. As said above, there are still multiple viruses besides novel Coronavirus running through Texas.

Are we ok using Tylenol?  I had read that it could make things worse.  Or maybe that was Ibuprofen.  

Thanks for shedding some light. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They didn’t even test her. For anything. Not even flu. This seems beyond stupid. Just told us to self isolate for 14 days (that’s what we’ve been doing doc) and we don’t need to test for anything because it doesn’t matter what’s going on for treatment protocol you just need to awesome you have something bad and quarantine the whole family for 14 days. 

Yeah- we have been doc- but it would be nice to know if we got it and are in the clear etc. also- got a tamiflu and a bill for $960 along with those no tests of any kind and 2 minutes with the doc.  Grrrrrrrr

Did you get her fever under control?  Can't believe they didn't even test for flu.  That's like a 10 minute test.  Seems like not testing for flu is a thing this year.  Daughter was sick when she came home for a few days around Christmas. Went to urgent care and said it was just minor virus stuff.  Went back 2 days later and demanded flu  test and  result was positive.   Had another bout around March 1 and went to urgent care and they didn't want to due a flu test again.  She raised some hell with them, got tested and came back positive again.

Tylenol good, ibuprofen bad for covid19.  Something about being in respiratory distress due to cytokine storm and confusing the body's signaling regarding the proper amount of immune response.

But if you don't have the covids, ibuprofen is fine.

4 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Are we ok using Tylenol?  I had read that it could make things worse.  Or maybe that was Ibuprofen.  

Thanks for shedding some light. 

NSAIDS like ibuprofen are reported to exacerbate the severity of Covid 19. This appears to be observational data from more than just China however. That is why Tylenol would be the safest to use unless you know that it is not COVID-19.

7 minutes ago, davidg said:

Did you get her fever under control?  Can't believe they didn't even test for flu.  That's like a 10 minute test.  Seems like not testing for flu is a thing this year.  Daughter was sick when she came home for a few days around Christmas. Went to urgent care and said it was just minor virus stuff.  Went back 2 days later and demanded flu  test and  result was positive.   Had another bout around March 1 and went to urgent care and they didn't want to due a flu test again.  She raised some hell with them, got tested and came back positive again.

Yeah-101 last we saw. Which is high but not like it was before thank God. 

40 minutes ago, drt said:

Tylenol good, ibuprofen bad for covid19.  Something about being in respiratory distress due to cytokine storm and confusing the body's signaling regarding the proper amount of immune response.

But if you don't have the covids, ibuprofen is fine.

39 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

NSAIDS like ibuprofen are reported to exacerbate the severity of Covid 19. This appears to be observational data from more than just China however. That is why Tylenol would be the safest to use unless you know that it is not COVID-19.

Thanks gents

On 4/1/2020 at 8:32 AM, JBJ said:

My two youngest woke up with fevers this AM

It was nice knowing y'all.

They are both almost fine today.  Probably just picked something up from the ground outside.  Fevers never got past ~102. 

They had me worried about my allergies this morning before they were up.  I woke up with that deep congestion and stuffy sinuses/ears, which comes with a dry cough for me.  I had all kinds of other factitious symptoms as well.

• Like 1

My doc ordered a Covid test for me this afternoon and my drive thru appointment is 9:30 tomorrow morning. I’m pretty sure I do not have it. No sore throat and no real fever - just a persistent, weird cough and headache. But my doc thinks it should be done. Testing has definitely ramped up to some degree (Houston).

I can’t decide whether you all should be hoping the test comes back positive or negative. I’m on the upside of this thing. Positive would be further evidence of mild symptoms but would also evidence undetected community spread.

5 minutes ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Welp...fuck..    tested positive Tuesday.   Only symptoms i had was loss on taste and smell last Saturday.  hade had some increasing symptoms everyday,  mostly night sweats, fever, chills and body aches.   No Sob and no chest pain...yet.  you boys be safe. Stay home, wash your hands and wear some kinda cloth bandana or something over your face.  

Animated GIF

Ring the bell!  Edit the title!  

Edited by Pato del Muerto

On 3/29/2020 at 2:52 AM, staboner said:

brief update from down unda. say day 16 i think. was trucking along and healing i thought but went downhill 2 days ago, and then last night was awful. after about 4 days of no symptoms i ended up having the worse breathing night of this whole ordeal. without any understanding of what "call the amberlamps" level bad was too feel like - i just sat here lost and really freaked out. too some sedatives to try and druged myself to sleep. finally happened at like 5AM.

Wife is mayb 90% now, and doing better than me. i'll take it.

had a tele-doc today and got some antibiotics. the thinking that i am likely over the virus but now have an infection my lungs. like way at the bottom. the feeling is different now (than say last week) so i am hoping i guess that is right. and the ABs starting kicking in. fuck me. i did ok for the first week or and held my own but this last round of hard breathing is wearing me out man. it is a fucking shitty feeling to sit there feeling like you can't get enough O2.

ya'll hang in there. me too. a happy immune system to you all

I know you and I keep going back and forth in this thread but I had the same issue.  15 days after I first got sick I still had tightness in my upper lungs, and would get winded just walking around the house or talking to people on conference calls.  It took - no fucking lie - 21 days before that finally went away completely.  I never had a cough.  When I had the 2nd doc visit to have my lungs checked - he said it was more bronchitis than pneumonia and that restricted breathing can come from both.  I took that zpak for 5 days and I still had upper respiratory tightness 5 days after finishing the ABs.  It was 21 straight days of on and off illness before I felt 100%.  Hang in there buddy.

The first day I felt 100% I had a strong ass margarita, a couple beers and a few bourbons and it was the best I'd felt in almost a month.  I think a lot of my symptoms had to do with not smoking cigars, no cope, and cutting out my daily routine of drinking my sorrows away.

Edited by krevo

1 hour ago, Hanrahan said:

When did symptoms start? Can’t be fun waiting around to see if this thing is going to bounce off you or kick you in the nuts.

This Tuesday  had my first fever but was getting body aches and pains.  Had also Mowed my yard last wednesday for the 1st time  and after had usual allergic attack like symptoms.  last 3 days have sucks more and more....

200.gif

not quite this bad though.  Hook’em boys!  Calling it a night. 

I was sitting in my chair this afternoon and started getting a really weird feeling.  Something was clearly wrong.  My right leg was kind of curled up, knee in the air.  I had a feeling something wasn’t right.  That’s when I looked down and realized one of my balls had slipped out my cargo shorts.  Is that a symptom?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Digdogger said:

I was sitting in my chair this afternoon and started getting a really weird feeling.  Something was clearly wrong.  My right leg was kind of curled up, knee in the air.  I had a feeling something wasn’t right.  That’s when I looked down and realized one of my balls had slipped out my cargo shorts.  Is that a symptom?

I'm pretty sure you have syphilis, yes.

My doc ordered a Covid test for me this afternoon and my drive thru appointment is 9:30 tomorrow morning. I’m pretty sure I do not have it. No sore throat and no real fever - just a persistent, weird cough and headache. But my doc thinks it should be done. Testing has definitely ramped up to some degree (Houston).

I can’t decide whether you all should be hoping the test comes back positive or negative. I’m on the upside of this thing. Positive would be further evidence of mild symptoms but would also evidence undetected community spread.

Have you been out? How do you think you caught it?

Welp...fuck..    tested positive Tuesday.   Only symptoms i had was loss on taste and smell last Saturday.  hade had some increasing symptoms everyday,  mostly night sweats, fever, chills and body aches.   No Sob and no chest pain...yet.  you boys be safe. Stay home, wash your hands and wear some kinda cloth bandana or something over your face.  

200.gif

Have you been out? How do you think you got it?

It would be helpful for those that get it to talk about how.

Have you been out? How do you think you caught it?

Nothing obvious but I am a member at St. Cecelia, where they had a confirmed case late February. Can’t see any likelihood it would get to me but that’s my only known vector. Still think it will be negative.

2 hours ago, krevo said:

I know you and I keep going back and forth in this thread but I had the same issue.  15 days after I first got sick I still had tightness in my upper lungs, and would get winded just walking around the house or talking to people on conference calls.  It took - no fucking lie - 21 days before that finally went away completely.  I never had a cough.  When I had the 2nd doc visit to have my lungs checked - he said it was more bronchitis than pneumonia and that restricted breathing can come from both.  I took that zpak for 5 days and I still had upper respiratory tightness 5 days after finishing the ABs.  It was 21 straight days of on and off illness before I felt 100%.  Hang in there buddy.

The first day I felt 100% I had a strong ass margarita, a couple beers and a few bourbons and it was the best I'd felt in almost a month.  I think a lot of my symptoms had to do with not smoking cigars, no cope, and cutting out my daily routine of drinking my sorrows away.

Thank you for your input. It helps for sure. Today is day 21 - and I am 4/5ths of the way through my ABs. I still feel like I am 90% on breathing. Last night I woke up at 3AM and it felt worse but not that bad. Then I got mad because I don't know when this will stop. It feels it won't and some days I just lose my patience. 

After you completed the ABs and you had issues still for 5 days - did you do anything else during these 5 days? Any mucinex or other expectorant meds? I hate taking them but last night during this last flare up I took some of the liquid and that helped in about 15 mins. I guess it could also be mental there too. I don't know. 

I did start my evening whiskey routine here and there - prob need to get back to nothing. Which is sucks when you are on day 21 sitting on your ass

thanks again

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

She’s feeling much better and her temp has gone down to line 101  almost 105 is scary shit man  

They didn’t even test her. For anything. Not even flu. This seems beyond stupid. Just told us to self isolate for 14 days (that’s what we’ve been doing doc) and we don’t need to test for anything because it doesn’t matter what’s going on for treatment protocol you just need to assume you have something bad and quarantine the whole family for 14 days. 

Yeah- we have been doc- but it would be nice to know if we got it and are in the clear etc. also- got a tamiflu and a bill for $960 along with those no tests of any kind and 2 minutes with the doc.  Grrrrrrrr

holy shit dude i am so sorry to see this. you sound more together than i would be. 105 is frightening. glad she is better

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, staboner said:

Thank you for your input. It helps for sure. Today is day 21 - and I am 4/5ths of the way through my ABs. I still feel like I am 90% on breathing. Last night I woke up at 3AM and it felt worse but not that bad. Then I got mad because I don't know when this will stop. It feels it won't and some days I just lose my patience. 

After you completed the ABs and you had issues still for 5 days - did you do anything else during these 5 days? Any mucinex or other expectorant meds? I hate taking them but last night during this last flare up I took some of the liquid and that helped in about 15 mins. I guess it could also be mental there too. I don't know. 

I did start my evening whiskey routine here and there - prob need to get back to nothing. Which is sucks when you are on day 21 sitting on your ass

thanks again

I was taking mucinex after day 10 (the day i went for a followup / lung check)  I took it for probably 7 or 8 days straight with the ABs and after the ABs.  After I finished the ABs, I was still experiencing shortness of breath and restricted breathing and would take a 4hr mucinex at night (which is when it was worse)

Another thing - whenever it was bad, my "resting" heart rate would be 30bpm above normal (72 normal / 102-110 when I would feel it) which led me to believe it may have just been stress/anxiety making the breathing issue worse.  I could be laying on the couch in the AC watching TV and my heart rate would be way up.   I finally said fuck it and popped a 10mg valium and my heart rate went back to normal within a few minutes (21st day)  It seemed like whenever I felt the worst, my heart rate was way up. Blood pressure was always normal, just a way faster HR.   When I was walking around the neighborhood and feeling lightheaded and my breathing was restricted, my pulse was 120+bpm.  Ever since I started feeling better, my HR hasn't gone above 80 and when walking its around 90.  

Edited by krevo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah-101 last we saw. Which is high but not like it was before thank God. 

Glad to hear she's doing better. My 4 year old hit 103 tonight and was shivering something fierce. Wife is losing it. I'm strangely calm, but if she starts coughing....

• Like 1

Had a cough for the last week or so. I’m 35 living in an apartment building. Was alerted at 3:30 today that the woman above me is positive. Her, me, and 3 other people use the same staircase to get in and out. I don’t know that I’ve bumped into her as she remains anonymous. However I found a way to get tested today. 99% chance I don’t have it but I’ve been around dozens of people over the last 2 weeks. She was taken by ambulance from the building today. 

what is craziest to me is that I alerted the health department and stated that I had been exposed and exposed others. They said if I didn’t show ALL symptoms they would not recommend I go for testing. Given the amount of people I have contact with I cannot believe we aren’t taking a more active approach. Test me, if I’m positive I can alert the 50 people I’ve been in contact with. Instead they said “you probably don’t have it” and told me to go about my business until I am in a condition that needs hospitalization. A proactive postitive test for me could potentially help hundreds of problem but they wanted nothing of it. I found a drive through clinic that was certified and tested me for $250. 

fuck our system. This is going to be a problem until we are proactive with treatment. Essential businesses make up 50% or more of the population. It won't die down until we make sure healthy people are the only active people and unhealthy people are taken care of. 

1 hour ago, staboner said:

thanks again

There is nothing wrong with a good Hot Toddy (Jameson) was what my grandmother always said. No pics, though I am sure there are a few Surls who would ask. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Digdogger said:

I’m going to call the pediatrician in the morning, I’ll let you know what he says

UPDATE:  Called my local pedo, gave him a rundown of symptoms and the medications I’ve been taking, which I must admit is excessive, even in these times.  I also provided a very detailed family medical history, which includes a small amount of mental illness, exotic tropical disease and what even what I would call an excessive amount of AEA death.  He insisted that what I told him was very worrying and asked that I never call again.  I’ll mark that down as a negative test.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Digdogger said:

UPDATE:  Called my local pedo, gave him a rundown of symptoms and the medications I’ve been taking, which I must admit is excessive, even in these times.  I also provided a very detailed family medical history, which includes a small amount of mental illness, exotic tropical disease and what even what I would call an excessive amount of AEA death.  He insisted that what I told him was very worrying and asked that I never call again.  I’ll mark that down as a negative test.

Better stay in your mom’s basement for two more weeks just to be safe.

Tested nine days ago - called ARC this morning to see if they just never got back to me, but they still haven't received it. I guess the lab they were working with initially got really backed up. They've since switched, FWIW.

I've felt fine for about a week now. The nurse confirmed I met the guidelines for ending self iso, but I'm going to try to at least hold out for the test. I'm thinking it'll be negative since what I experienced was pretty mild, but I'm kind of rooting for a positive so I can donate antibodies, and, selfishly, breathe a little easier when I do have to go in public.

19 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

@Foosters

Any update bud?

Thanks for asking dude. She had a rough night, but looks and feels much better this morning. Fever is mild and she's peppy and happy. Looking like just a random bug ( knock on wood.)

Gotta say though, last night was the first time the weight of all of this hit me. Couldn't sleep. Stupidly was reading news and anecdotes from hard hit areas at like 3 am in bed. I've been going into work among a high risk population and the thought that I did (or could in the future) bring this home to my family really tore me up. For the first time, I felt totally helpless and inadequate in light of what's happening. On the surface, I've been confident and reassuring to my wife who is not handling this all that well. To be fair to her, ever since I've met her she's always had a real, arguably illogical, phobia of pandemics. Literally, her greatest fear coming true. And, despite constant reminders to myself that our age and medical history put us at low risk, the fear always creeps back. My daughter has had a history of respiratory issues that have led to a few trips to the ER and nebulizer treatments. That's pretty normal for toddlers, so I don't think it means much, but you know, fear tells me otherwise.

The good news is that because of her fever, HR has directed me to telework for the next 14 days. The colleague I closely interacted with yesterday was also sent home for 14 days. She was pretty thrilled.

I should clarify that despite all of that, I feel incredibly fortunate in all this. Both still employed, financially safe, thus far have remained unscathed by this.

Edited by Foosters
  • Like 6

We all hope you meant Pedi. But even then, that’s a weird typo or something for autocorrect to say.