I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Gil Bang

I am still experiencing upper lung pain when I cough that is like bronchitis pain, but without any other bronchitis symptoms anymore. It feels like my upper lungs are messed up and not getting better after a month. I am wondering if it is the damage from a covid infection given how persistent it is. My O2 levels are normal for me as I happened to bring an oximeter with me in January 2018.
Note that I had a flu-like illness in January when something swept through the bargirls and expats and I recall some girls saying they thought it came form China. My Ex-gf probably gave it to me. After the initial flu-like symptoms passed I had a dry cough for 5 or 6 weeks and about halfway through that I started experiencing bronchial pain.  One of my friends, a former HS football coach from the Dallas area had the same progression but a week or so ahead of me.  
I have not heard of any case studies that follow this progression but I was wondering if anyone has a similar experience. Unfortunately, while antibody tests are available here now the plan of action is to put anyone who tests positive into a group quarantine with a bunch of sick Filipinos. So fuck that.
My son had upper respiratory issue in early February that turned into bronchitis. Got over it with meds but he still needs an inhaler around 8pm each evening or after any kind of activity to help breathe like he has asthma. He's never had a hard time breathing previously and is it tip top shape.

23 hours ago, C-Man said:

Right? I don't think I'd waste my time on any test-at-home kits. Sounds like these are coming available. Call your doc and see about getting one that's FDA-approved.

I just got back from my antibodies test through Quest. Called my PCP yesterday to ask about it and the PA immediately set it up and ordered the test through Quest. Went to Margo Perot building at Presby for 2:30 appointment and I was out the door five minutes later. Easy peasy. Find out in 24-48 hours. BTW, they didn't do a finger prick -- they stuck my arm and took an entire vial.

keep us posted!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Didn’t someone mention here that the anti-body test wasn’t accurate?

I think it depends on the test. There are a bunch that aren't FDA-approved yet. They also have do-it-yourself-at-home kits, which sounds like a recipe for extreme inaccuracies.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Missed this. Glad to hear it? I feel like you'd rather have had it and been through it than not.

Some look to be more accurate than others. I'm not sure which ones quest and labcorp are using.

I was told the Quest test is FDA-approved.

52 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

keep us posted!

I mentioned it further up the thread. Test was positive -- got pinged about midnight last night that my results were in.

20 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think it depends on the test. There are a bunch that aren't FDA-approved yet. They also have do-it-yourself-at-home kits, which sounds like a recipe for extreme inaccuracies.

I mentioned it further up the thread. Test was positive -- got pinged about midnight last night that my results were in.

That’s crazy man thanks for the update 

• Like 1

Regarding body temperature -- I read an article a few weeks back that indicated the average human body temperature has dropped almost a full degree from 98.6 F over the past few decades. 
I have no idea if it was quackery or what.

Ruined Keith’s comeback.
  • Like 1

I’m willing to pay for the antibodies tests, but don’t want to piss money down the drain for an inaccurate test.

I was in NYC the last week of Jan and then was in KC staying in Overland Park by the hospitals.

9 days after my last day in NYC I had a terrible cough (like never before), exhaustion, chills, a fever and nightly sweats. My wife then had the same and around the same time I had several people in the office get sick and miss several days of work.

What was weird, I felt relatively fine during the day but then by 6 or 7 at night cough came back and I was in bed by 9. Also had headaches, which I never get. (I never get hangovers).

Never had trouble breathing or felt deathly ill.

It’s one of those “oh I’m sure I had it” but who knows. Would just like to know out of curiosity.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 5:06 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Regarding body temperature -- I read an article a few weeks back that indicated the average human body temperature has dropped almost a full degree from 98.6 F over the past few decades. 

I have no idea if it was quackery or what.

On 4/29/2020 at 5:07 PM, C-Man said:

No, I read something very similar. It was discussed In this thread perhaps or in the large COVID-19 thread (more likely).

I have often wondered about that. Through all of my numerous doctor's/appointments/tests etc I've always been below the 98.6 standard.

17 hours ago, C-Man said:

as of today the most accurate rapid PC tests still have about a 10% rate of error.  we don't have enough data to figure out what the other error rates are, including that quest one you did.  

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

as of today the most accurate rapid PC tests still have about a 10% rate of error.  we don't have enough data to figure out what the other error rates are, including that quest one you did.  

Understand that. Based on my confirmed direct exposure to a COVID-19 positive case (two actually, as his partner also tested positive) and my onset of symptoms/length of illness 10 days later PLUS my positive antibody test I'm going to assume the chances mine is a false positive is extremely low.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Understand that. Based on my confirmed direct exposure to a COVID-19 positive case (two actually, as his partner also tested positive) and my onset of symptoms/length of illness 10 days later PLUS my positive antibody test I'm going to assume the chances mine is a false positive is extremely low.

i hear ya.  a great place to be in. 

What was your direct contact? Hand shake? Fist bump? In the same room? 69?

• 2 weeks later...

Cross posted from "no politics" thread

Well our TxDot project in Waco has been shut down. one of our laborers wives tested positive for coronavirus today. We shut down and abandoned the job site and rushed to a clinic in spring Texas for testing. I have been here and I already have the swaps done a few minutes ago.

I did not think it was possible to shut down and clear a major project in that short of a time. the entire project look like a ghost town in a matter of minutes.

Well our TxDot project in Waco has been shut down. one of our laborers wives tested positive for coronavirus today. We shut down and abandoned the job site and rushed to a clinic in spring Texas for testing. I have been here and I already have the swaps done a few minutes ago.

I did not think it was possible to shut down and clear a major project in that short of a time. the entire project look like a ghost town in a matter of minutes.

More to the story in the wives thread I imagine?

Hope that wasn’t Junior Miller’s wife.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

A good three weeks later and I am finally symptom free from Schrodinger's Covid. A nice mix and rotation of sore throat, headache, chest tightness, fatigue, gastro-intestinal pain and other bullshit, and a full on lack of appetite. Never had a fever, never had a cough. Took two different nose tests and both came back negative. All the symptoms are gone, but I'm left with lingering pains. My chest feels like it is bruised in a couple places, and it's uncomfortable to lay on my back for too long. 

Whatever I had, it really sucked and I'm happy to be on the right side of it. 

• Like 9

Son’s FIL who has been in a NE Texas nursing home was tested positive. He is now in a hospital on a ventilator.

Survival is not expected as he already had an underlying condition. He was the father of Son’s late wife who passed from breast cancer 7 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Son’s FIL who has been in a NE Texas nursing home was tested positive. He is now in a hospital on a ventilator.

Survival is not expected as he already had an underlying condition. He was the father of Son’s late wife who passed from breast cancer 7 years ago.

Damn. 

I meant if it gets so bad that I start having severe respiratory distress and will probably die anyway. Not if I just feel bad. I have to start not being able to breathe bad because my lungs are filling with fluid, but if that were to happen I'd rather die by bullet than drowning on my own blood and fluids
And if it gets that bad and it's her selfish stupidity that caused me to die I might put one in her head too. Words can't describe how badly I hate this bitch now for doing this. 

Did Junior Miller follow through on his murder-suicide threat? He hasn’t posted since then. Doesn’t someone on here know him in real life?

On 5/1/2020 at 11:23 AM, C-Man said:

So, when you say “direct exposure”, what do you mean by that? In the same room? Guy sneezed in your face? I’m still in the dark as to what it actually takes to get infected.

6 hours ago, XYZ said:

So, when you say “direct exposure”, what do you mean by that? In the same room? Guy sneezed in your face? I’m still in the dark as to what it actually takes to get infected.

Kiss-hello along with hugs as gay guys tend to do. Then standing right next to each other during conversation for an hour or so.

Going to get my antibody test today.  I was pretty sick in January and just assumed it was the flu.  But I found out yesterday that one of my co-workers in London (I was spending around 2 weeks a month working there since August last year)  just received a positive antibody test from when he was sick in mid-March.  I was around him 10 hours a day for about a week during that timeframe, sitting and working side by side, and did not get sick despite his almost constant coughing.  I flew home as soon as the Europe travel ban was put in place and was fine after as well.  

I guess it is possible that I didn't catch it or was asymptomatic but seems more likely that I may have already had it in January.  Will know in a few days.

cross posting from the DT thread, took the antibody and CoVid tests on 5/24 in the morning, got the results yesterday. Negative on both. Sucks. They took a whole vial and the gf's father's test from a few weeks ago was also a vial and not just a finger prick.

• Fuck You 1

Guy I'm dogsitting for told me a friend got it and was on a vent in a medically induced coma for 10 days. COVID tests kept coming back negative until it finally didn't. Not sure how much stock I'd put in some of these tests. 

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Wat?

Yeah. Said it was all sorts of fucked. Doctors knew he had it but took numerous tests before he came back positive. 

It was early on. I hope the testing has improved.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

Got a call yesterday from Austin/Travis County department of health, letting me know that I had come in direct contact with someone who tested positive for COVID19.  I was also contacted directly by that person-- my haircutter, and she let me know that she'd tested positive.  My exposure was on 5/20, she has been asymptomatic this entire time, but was tested because one of her colleagues had symptoms and tested positive.

I have no symptoms of any kind, but went ahead and asked my doc to prescribe the swab test as well as the antibody test.  Got both of those knocked out same day, within about 3 hours of my original doctor's appointment.

The swab test was every bit as unpleasant as I'd heard, and the antibody test was a full blood draw, not just a prick, not sure what the difference is.

So I'll find out in 3-5 days about whether or not I have contracted a case of The Coronas.

On 5/29/2020 at 9:32 PM, Deej said:

Guy I'm dogsitting for told me a friend got it and was on a vent in a medically induced coma for 10 days. COVID tests kept coming back negative until it finally didn't. Not sure how much stock I'd put in some of these tests. 

Who cares about that, how’s the dog?

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

Got a call yesterday from Austin/Travis County department of health, letting me know that I had come in direct contact with someone who tested positive for COVID19.  I was also contacted directly by that person-- my haircutter, and she let me know that she'd tested positive.  My exposure was on 5/20, she has been asymptomatic this entire time, but was tested because one of her colleagues had symptoms and tested positive.

I have no symptoms of any kind, but went ahead and asked my doc to prescribe the swab test as well as the antibody test.  Got both of those knocked out same day, within about 3 hours of my original doctor's appointment.

The swab test was every bit as unpleasant as I'd heard, and the antibody test was a full blood draw, not just a prick, not sure what the difference is.

So I'll find out in 3-5 days about whether or not I have contracted a case of The Coronas.

Hopefully no limes for you.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 9:32 PM, Deej said:

On 5/29/2020 at 11:06 PM, Incredulity said:

Wat?

No shit, that's scary.

Going to get my antibody test today.  I was pretty sick in January and just assumed it was the flu.  But I found out yesterday that one of my co-workers in London (I was spending around 2 weeks a month working there since August last year)  just received a positive antibody test from when he was sick in mid-March.  I was around him 10 hours a day for about a week during that timeframe, sitting and working side by side, and did not get sick despite his almost constant coughing.  I flew home as soon as the Europe travel ban was put in place and was fine after as well.  
I guess it is possible that I didn't catch it or was asymptomatic but seems more likely that I may have already had it in January.  Will know in a few days.

Maybe you just had the a London Homesick Blues?
  • Like 4

On 6/1/2020 at 5:42 PM, utee94 said:

My swab test came back negative for the covids, I should get the antibody results in the next day or two.

I don't have any reason to believe I got it at some earlier point, so I'd expect that to be negative as well.

Edited by utee94