I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Gil Bang

On 6/3/2020 at 2:26 PM, utee94 said:

My swab test came back negative for the covids, I should get the antibody results in the next day or two.

I don't have any reason to believe I got it at some earlier point, so I'd expect that to be negative as well.

Yup, antibody test came back negative, too.  Darn, I was hoping I'd had it and didn't even know.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 8:25 AM, Wally Fairway said:

I just took my Covid test, medical procedure scheduled for Tuesday. I'll know on Monday if I've got the Rona, if not prostate biopsy on Tuesday.

Been good knowing ya!

COVID test came back negative - so they can drive the Mars rover up my keester tomorrow morning and do some sampling.
Good times - see y'all on the other side.

• Like 1

Guy I'm dogsitting for told me a friend got it and was on a vent in a medically induced coma for 10 days. COVID tests kept coming back negative until it finally didn't. Not sure how much stock I'd put in some of these tests. 
I'm not sure if anything has changed, but early on what you described - patients that pretty obviously had it clinically would test negative. I remember doctors being quoted as the false negative rate being pretty significant - like 20 percent of cases. Can't remember if that was in a hospital setting or not.

I believe I remember@ChiTownDoc mentioning something along these lines from his experience too. I could be mistaken though. I'd be interested to know if the confidence in diagnostic tests have improved. I know the antibody tests were/are a shitshow.

On 6/8/2020 at 1:44 PM, gmr548 said:

I'm not sure if anything has changed, but early on what you described - patients that pretty obviously had it clinically would test negative. I remember doctors being quoted as the false negative rate being pretty significant - like 20 percent of cases. Can't remember if that was in a hospital setting or not.

I believe I remember@ChiTownDoc mentioning something along these lines from his experience too. I could be mistaken though. I'd be interested to know if the confidence in diagnostic tests have improved. I know the antibody tests were/are a shitshow.

The tests have improved but there's still issues -  but the PCR for active infections is more accurate but not without false negatives/positives.  But the antibody testing is even worse.  Some missing positive/negative tests 50% of the time, supposedly.  

So Mrs Fairway & I each had Dr. appointments on June 4, and we both went with each other to those appointments. Mrs. Fairway gets a call today from a contact tracer, they suggest getting tested due to contact at a Dr. appointment; it has to be her Dr office as they contacted her. So she is debating going for the test, I tested negative as of last Saturday, so to some degree I should be good - should I make her sleep in the garage, or put the tent up in the back yard for her until she gets test results???

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 8:51 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

But the antibody testing is even worse.  Some missing positive/negative tests 50% of the time, supposedly.  

Still holding out hope that my negative antibody test was a fuck up, and the virus I had back in March was COVID.  I got tested during the first few days they were made available to the public in Austin via Remedy.     

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

So Mrs Fairway & I each had Dr. appointments on June 4, and we both went with each other to those appointments. Mrs. Fairway gets a call today from a contact tracer, they suggest getting tested due to contact at a Dr. appointment; it has to be her Dr office as they contacted her. So she is debating going for the test, I tested negative as of last Saturday, so to some degree I should be good - should I make her sleep in the garage, or put the tent up in the back yard for her until she gets test results???

Neither.  Just roll around in the COVID, drink it in, and ensure your positive steps toward herd immunity.

44 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Still holding out hope that my negative antibody test was a fuck up, and the virus I had back in March was COVID.  I got tested during the first few days they were made available to the public in Austin via Remedy.     

Same boat completely.  I think @ChiTownDoc or someone else mentioned the antibody test where they take a full vial of blood is generally more accurate, and the Remedy test for me was just a finger prick.  

I'm considering donating blood again as the central texas bloodbank sent out that they need A+ and that's my blood type.  I just checked their website and they do not test for antibodies on donation, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

You should definitely have hope...

14 minutes ago, drt said:

Same boat completely.  I think @ChiTownDoc or someone else mentioned the antibody test where they take a full vial of blood is generally more accurate, and the Remedy test for me was just a finger prick.  

I'm considering donating blood again as the central texas bloodbank sent out that they need A+ and that's my blood type.  I just checked their website and they do not test for antibodies on donation, unfortunately.

Especially if it was the finger prick test which is less accurate then an actual draw.  

25 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You should definitely have hope...

Especially if it was the finger prick test which is less accurate then an actual draw.  

I gave the full vial.  And tested negative.  Curse my glorious Type O blood!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, drt said:

Same boat here.  Finger prick test was negative.  This is why I don’t play the lottery.

On 6/11/2020 at 10:40 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Someone will be sleeping out in the garage, but it won’t be her. 

On 6/11/2020 at 11:40 AM, Wally Fairway said:

So the whole family tested yesterday

All negative so far for Covid, only two of use did the antibody test (vial), both negative. Nobody sleeping in the tent or garage.

O+ for the win!!!!

Edited by Wally Fairway

Mrs. Canecutter tested positive for the antibodies today. It was the highly-inaccurate two-drops-of-blood test, conducted by a friend who runs a lab. So girl-on-girl prick action.

Her antibodies were so low that who knows if she has any real immunity. We both had weird lung-crud back in March and self-quarantined before even California shut down, much less Alabama.

Whatever is (or isn't) in her system is probably in mine as well, but I don't rate a super-cool free test. I am glad that I quit visiting my 80+ year old mother back in March.

Mrs. Canecutter's Science Lab friend says that what they are seeing, is that antibodies are dropping down to almost nothing after just a few months.

Assuming that I actually had a touch of the Rona, and not just the various boring shit that happens when you forget to die young, what I had was:

-- Annoying dry cough. Never got to the choking to death stage, just wouldn't go away.

--Dazed and Confused

--Aches

--Spins, like, I almost fell out in the middle of the street one day. Had to channel Inner Lee Marvin that day.

Still kind of comes and goes, the weakness that is. Probably doesn't have anything to do with zero exercise and excessive drinking.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Or all that tube cement** you've been inhaling ...

** I'm sure the extra thin stuff I'm tryna get you hooked on is more volatile and, therefore, even less safe.

I basically just eat the traditional model airplane glue, so inhaling isn't ever a problem.

I'm thinking the extra thin stuff would add dash to a martini.

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Mrs. Canecutter's Science Lab friend says that what they are seeing, is that antibodies are dropping down to almost nothing after just a few months.

I’d like to know if there is formal data on that claim. The limited studies I’ve seen suggest that Covid IgG levels remain steady for at least two months and the body is usually good about producing detectable levels for many months to years for a lot of viral illnesses.

11 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Or all that tube cement** you've been inhaling ...

** I'm sure the extra thin stuff I'm tryna get you hooked on is more volatile and, therefore, even less safe.

Huff the unleaded gasoline while it’s still cheap.

12 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

-- Annoying dry cough. Never got to the choking to death stage, just wouldn't go away.

--Dazed and Confused

--Aches

--Spins, like, I almost fell out in the middle of the street one day. Had to channel Inner Lee Marvin that day.

Still kind of comes and goes, the weakness that is. Probably doesn't have anything to do with zero exercise and excessive drinking.

I had something similar - but I can't remember exactly when it was, seems like late January, maybe early February. Had a couple of days with really bad dizzy spells, the most memorable was driving to work, about 1 mile from home and everything just started spinning; it passed quickly but scared the shit out of me. I drove side streets to work that day, as I didn't want a second episode while cruising at highway speeds. 
That was the worst, there were several days that followed that were more like unsure footing and not feeling really centered when walking or even standing; spent most of those days at my desk at work and in front of the TV at home. 
Alas - I've since tested negative for antibodies, so it was more likely due to some alien probing or an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard or a fragment of underdone potato.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Had a couple of days with really bad dizzy spells, the most memorable was driving to work, about 1 mile from home and everything just started spinning; it passed quickly but scared the shit out of me. I drove side streets to work that day, as I didn't want a second episode while cruising at highway speeds. 

Yep, that was exactly how it came on me. But I had had a crud cough and fatigue for a long time before the spins came on.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Yep, that was exactly how it came on me. But I had had a crud cough and fatigue for a long time before the spins came on.

I've had a cough for about 6 weeks now.  I pretty much never get a cough, which is why I noticed its onset. I've just assumed it's part of this Spring's allergies, though it's never been one of my allergic symptoms before.  Also, about 3-4 weeks ago. I had one day where I was really, really dizzy.  Almost fell down the stairs because it hit me so fast, luckily I already had a hand on the railing.  But it was only that one day.

And of course I tested negative 2 weeks ago for both the active infection and the antibodies.  Yet this stupid 6-week-long cough remains. 

Most blood banks are doing free antibody testing with all blood donations now.  Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center in the Houston area is for sure.  I gave blood yesterday and will have the results of the antibody testing back within a few days.  My insurance is no longer covering antibody/active virus testing as of May 31.

http://www.giveblood.org/

6 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Most blood banks are doing free antibody testing with all blood donations now.  Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center in the Houston area is for sure.  I gave blood yesterday and will have the results of the antibody testing back within a few days.  My insurance is no longer covering antibody/active virus testing as of May 31.

http://www.giveblood.org/

Nice. We are blood in Austin is not. https://weareblood.org/convalescent-plasma/

I had a Chinese made finger prick test done about 3 weeks ago that came back negative. This past Sunday, I get a text from the Doc in a Box who did it to come back and get an FDA approved test at no charge. This is in Austin, I guess I might as well go back. 

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

I've had a cough for about 6 weeks now.  I pretty much never get a cough, which is why I noticed its onset. I've just assumed it's part of this Spring's allergies, though it's never been one of my allergic symptoms before.  Also, about 3-4 weeks ago. I had one day where I was really, really dizzy.  Almost fell down the stairs because it hit me so fast, luckily I already had a hand on the railing.  But it was only that one day.

And of course I tested negative 2 weeks ago for both the active infection and the antibodies.  Yet this stupid 6-week-long cough remains. 

Could be pertussis. Childhood vaccine wears off after 10 years or so. Healthcare workers now get a booster w the required  tetanus booster every 10 years but I don’t know if it is recommended for population at large

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Could be pertussis. Childhood vaccine wears off after 10 years or so. Healthcare workers now get a booster w the required  tetanus booster every 10 years but I don’t know if it is recommended for population at large

Thanks. Got a booster Tdap a few years ago, so probably not?  Who knows though, I suppose.

9 hours ago, utee94 said:

My brother in law developed a cough after starting lisinopril/zestril for high blood pressure. If you started any meds around that time, you might check for cough as a side-effect. My best to you on getting that resolved. Having a chronic cough during Covid-19 will make you a leper in many places. 

So many threads to choose from... What's the Surly thoughts on when to get tested? No real symptoms but I've been in what has amounted to isolation since March 9th and then last week attended two days of gatherings with family/friends for visitation and a funeral. Thinking maybe I should just take the test but don't know how long after possible exposure I should wait or if it is even a good idea without symptoms.

22 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

So many threads to choose from... What's the Surly thoughts on when to get tested? No real symptoms but I've been in what has amounted to isolation since March 9th and then last week attended two days of gatherings with family/friends for visitation and a funeral. Thinking maybe I should just take the test but don't know how long after possible exposure I should wait or if it is even a good idea without symptoms.

I wouldn't, no reason to get a swab up your nose unless you feel sick ........just wait and  go get antibody tested