I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Gil Bang

3rd Covid test this month (nasal swab) - still negative 

O+ for the win

El Diablo - I think it's recommended to wait 5-7 days after potential exposure to have the Covid tests, but if you are isolating and have no symptoms then why not wait a while longer and get the antibody test.
The reason to get nasal swabbed is to then quarantine/isolate yourself, which if you are doing then wait to see about getting sick or antibodies.
Good luck

20 hours ago, El Diablo said:

So many threads to choose from... What's the Surly thoughts on when to get tested? No real symptoms but I've been in what has amounted to isolation since March 9th and then last week attended two days of gatherings with family/friends for visitation and a funeral. Thinking maybe I should just take the test but don't know how long after possible exposure I should wait or if it is even a good idea without symptoms.

Edited by Wally Fairway

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

3rd Covid test this month (nasal swab) - still negative 

O+ for the win

El Diablo - I think it's recommended to wait 5-7 days after potential exposure to have the Covid tests, but if you are isolating and have no symptoms then why not wait a while longer and get the antibody test.
The reason to get nasal swabbed is to then quarantine/isolate yourself, which if you are doing then wait to see about getting sick or antibodies.
Good luck

I'm back to isolation with the exception of the weekly HEB adventure which I attend to in a body comdom. Funeral required some bit of closeness and intimate moments that are not a normal part of the new normal. How long should a person wait to have the blood draw/antibody test done and who does that testing?

3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I'm back to isolation with the exception of the weekly HEB adventure which I attend to in a body comdom. Funeral required some bit of closeness and intimate moments that are not a normal part of the new normal. How long should a person wait to have the blood draw/antibody test done and who does that testing?

I'm not the guy to answer that question- maybe @ChiTownDoc can help you with that

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Wait over 2 weeks after symptoms resolve for ab test.  Quest/LabCorp are all over and do the full blood draw test, not finger prick.  

13 hours ago, El Diablo said:

If you don’t feel bad, have no fever, no cough, any other symptom and are bunkered up in your house, why the fuck would you go get a test?  What’s the point? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

If you don’t feel bad, have no fever, no cough, any other symptom and are bunkered up in your house, why the fuck would you go get a test?  What’s the point? 

Kinda why I was asking, would there be any point in it? I guess maybe as a data point for the other attendees but that might be about it.

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Kinda why I was asking, would there be any point in it? I guess maybe as a data point for the other attendees but that might be about it.

A lot of us have similar stories, even with some symptoms having popped up. Sounds like you aren't much of a threat to infect a bunch of others, so you may as well just stay out of the way unless you start feeling bad.

On 6/26/2020 at 1:27 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Wait over 2 weeks after symptoms resolve for ab test.  Quest/LabCorp are all over and do the full blood draw test, not finger prick.  

Did the LabCorp a/b test last Wednesday (Whole Family was sick at various times between December and May).  Sign up online.  Pay $10.  Make appointment.  In and out in 5 minutes.  Nobody else there at 8 a.m.  Negative.  Must have been flu.  But weird since we all had the flu shot and usually we don't all get it.  Figured.  But nice to know. 

Edited by dcbc

19 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Did the LabCorp a/b test last Wednesday (Whole Family was sick at various times between December and May).  Sign up online.  Pay $10.  Make appointment.  In and out in 5 minutes.  Nobody else there at 8 a.m.  Negative.  Must have been flu.  But weird since we all had the flu shot and usually we don't all get it.  Figured.  But nice to know. 

There’s people who had it and didn’t show specific ab.  Im drinking.  Will send link later.  

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s people who had it and didn’t show specific ab.  Im drinking.  Will send link later.  

Thanks.  My older son was sick for a few days (around 3/7/20).  Spiked 103 overnight about 3 days in, and I took him to urgent care.  He tested positive for Flu A with the quick test.  I got sick (mild) 3 days later, but stayed out of work that week because I was taking care of him.  We both took and responded to Tamiflu within a day or two.  Wife was super awful sick the week of Christmas after my younger son got sick a few days earlier.  His illness was medium-mild.  Neither tested.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

These were in China, right?  Has that finding been replicated with patients in the US?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/studies-report-rapid-loss-of-covid-19-antibodies-67650/amp

Can Covid give you a UTI, cause frostbite in summer, and leave without a trace? Today I got my negative test result after nearly three weeks of the weirdest symptoms.

It started with burning while taking a leak. Urologist saw blood in my urine but no white blood cells but put me on antibiotics anyway. Around that time I was unusually tired, like worn-the-fuck-out-just-ran-a-marathon tired after days at work, which lasted almost a week. About one week in, I had a low grade fever for only a couple of evenings and the start of widespread body aches that are still kind of with me now.

About a week ago the pee pee symptoms and tiredness resolved but I developed a strange rash on my fingers, like frostbite, that actually have worsened. Also around then, my wife and two kids got fevers, with my wife complaining about soreness and food tasting weird. That made me finally go in and get tested, that and reading about unusual Covid symptoms that seem eerily like my own.

I've felt a little sticky in the back of my throat the past few days. Otherwise neither I nor any other family members have had respiratory symptoms.

I'm thinking about checking for antibodies but I don't really care. I figure I'll just assume no immunity, keep masking up, and staying away from people.

• Haha 1

So my sister had the virus in early April. Said it really sucked, but she eventually recovered and is now part of some COVID survivor 200 day study for a hospital system where they test your blood & plasma every month. She actually had a higher antibody count in her June blood draw than her May one, which doctors said was a really good sign. She’s A+ blood type fwiw. My mom is A+ & my dad is O+, but no one knows what my blood type is as I’ve never needed to be tested for it. Hope it’s O+. 

Then again I feel like when this is all looked back on in a few years it’ll be discovered that blood type had little if any relation to virus susceptability.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Bro. Give me them drugs.  

edit: full blown aids 

Ha. Yeah, it's strange. "Covid toes" is a real thing, apparently, but this is on my fingers. I know lots of viruses cause rashes.

Here's a paper about Covid and urinary symptoms. ~12% of cases in their very small sample size.

Anyway, I wonder what else is going around right now considering that some of the usual vectors should be suppressed. What's really going on with the 90% of tests being negative? Some combination of hypochondriacs, getting tested too late, or some other bug.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:29 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Yeah, was wondering what I was missing here.

19 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

I haven’t heard of any places in Texas testing asymptomatic patients.  

If you don’t have symptoms, don’t waste other’s time and resources.  

You can get a test all over the place, symptomatic or not. I had to get negative tests for my kids before they leave for summer camp tomorrow morning.

35 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So the Chinese data. 

id like to see some us replications. 

We have had multiple patients that tested positive for an active infection in March and now had at least 2 negative ab tests.  Not enough to draw any conclusions but it’s a definite possibility.  

19 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

Ha. Yeah, it's strange. "Covid toes" is a real thing, apparently, but this is on my fingers. I know lots of viruses cause rashes.

Here's a paper about Covid and urinary symptoms. ~12% of cases in their very small sample size.

Anyway, I wonder what else is going around right now considering that some of the usual vectors should be suppressed. What's really going on with the 90% of tests being negative? Some combination of hypochondriacs, getting tested too late, or some other bug.

Probably people that were in contact with a positive case but didn't pick it up.

One of friends and two of his kids 4 and 12 came over Thursday and spent the night.  He’s had 4 co workers test positive now that he was training hand in hand with on holds earlier this week test positive, he works with troubled kids and was training on restraint holds.   Now he has a low grade fever, runny nose and slight cough...  I’m not going to run to get tested cause I live in a small county without much testing except at the hospital anyway.   So I’m just staying isolated and seeing how I feel right now.  

12 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

One of friends and two of his kids 4 and 12 came over Thursday and spent the night.  He’s had 4 co workers test positive now that he was training hand in hand with on holds earlier this week test positive, he works with troubled kids and was training on restraint holds.   Now he has a low grade fever, runny nose and slight cough...  I’m not going to run to get tested cause I live in a small county without much testing except at the hospital anyway.   So I’m just staying isolated and seeing how I feel right now.  

RIP

On 6/27/2020 at 11:10 PM, C-Man said:

You can get a test all over the place, symptomatic or not. I had to get negative tests for my kids before they leave for summer camp tomorrow morning.

Just about every summer camp out here has been cancelled.

Just got this email from my brother [McCombs MBA] who lives in FL:

"Hi Guys,

Wanted you to know that [his son] and [his gf] have both tested positive for COVID-19 as of today.  Most likely they got it from [gf's] dad who recently returned from the North East and is also positive as is his wife. Since they live with [her parents], it is not surprising they are positive.  [GF's mom] is the chief ER Nurse at the local hospital which could also be the infection point, but honestly it doesn’t really matter where they got it.  [Son] and [GF's mom] are currently mostly asymptomatic, but [gf] has a loss of taste or smell that is also associated with the virus.  Unfortunately, [gf's dad] (60) is not doing well.  He was hospitalized the day before yesterday and will probably go on a ventilator today.

I have told [our mom] about the positive test results, but not about [gf's dad] being hospitalized.  I think it wise to give her information in small doses at this point not to exacerbate her already high stress level over the pandemic.  Please keep that in mind with any communications you may have with her and share that concern with any other family members that you may inform."

Gut punch.

On 6/28/2020 at 8:14 AM, Chet Steadman said:

Not in Austin you can’t.  

I was never symptomatic and I got both the PCR and AB tests, in Austin.

I was contact-traced to a known positive and told my doctor that, but they never followed up to find out if my story was true.  So I'd say you can definitely get a test, in Austin, even if you're not symptomatic.  And my doctor wrote the scrips and got me in same-day for both of those two tests.

I'd advise anyone that believes they might have had exposure, to talk to your doctor, and tell them you want to get tested.

You are correct that I didn't see that.

I don't see how it would work out though.  If your doctor prescribes the test for you, you can get the test.  Anyone that feels they have been exposed and wants to get the test, should talk to your doctor, and ask them to prescribe the test.

Alternatively, fly to Colorado to get the test. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, drt said:

APH: If you were ones of the tens of thousands of people who attended a protest you need to get tested, not matter whether there is a confirmed exposure or symptoms.

Adler a couple weeks later to people with known direct exposures: Sorry about that bitches, we used up all the tests. 

2 hours ago, PW119 said:

16yr old son just tested positive. 17yr old daughter wants to get it / get over it. My 50yr old fat ass wants nothing to do with it. Gonna be a long 14 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pics of daughter next year?  I kid.

Daughter does not need to get it on purpose.  No one knows how it will affect them until they get it.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

You are correct that I didn't see that.

I don't see how it would work out though.  If your doctor prescribes the test for you, you can get the test.  Anyone that feels they have been exposed and wants to get the test, should talk to your doctor, and ask them to prescribe the test.

Alternatively, fly to Colorado to get the test. 

Well, the city was always doing this for people who don't have a doctor, are under/not insured, or would normally seek care at an ER.  You know as well as I that those of us with college degrees and professional jobs can work the system to get tested if we want to.  Look at the zip codes where this is spreading rapidly, and look at the demographics of people admitted to the hospitals.  Those people aren't flying to Colorado to get a test.

Edited by drt
  • Like 1