I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Gil Bang

9 minutes ago, Xian said:

My father in law has it. He is in his 60s and doctor in Miami. 
Everyone wanted him to stay home but he kept working since it was “his duty”.

He has had trouble breathing and a constant 102 fever but tested negative for covid at first so they wouldn’t admit him in the hospital for an X-ray or treatment. The hospitals are that packed.

My mother in law knows somebody who runs a “X-ray at home business” for the elderly where they come to your house to take an X-ray.   In my FiLs own words, his “lungs looked like shit”. Hospital still wouldn’t take him.  

His breathing got so bad that they found a family friend who has oxygen tanks and he started self medicating with oxygen. 

Well, he collapsed in the shower last night and was rushed to the hospital again.  Oxygen was in the 40s. They still wouldn’t admit him until the nurse started screaming at the bureaucrat who is in charge of checking people in.   At midnight he tested positive finally (3rd or 4th test) and is currently on a respirator. 

My in-laws are relatively wealthy and well connected  I can’t imagine being poor in the same condition   

im tearing up now.  I really want my 5 month old daughter to grow up knowing her abuelo.   He is a great man. fled his homeland after getting word the secret police were after him for handing out political cartoons. Came to American with nothing, saving up all his money for six years to get his wife and young children over here out starvation.  Basically the American dream.   After all that sacrifice his life is finally going well.  His first three grandchildren were born in the last 10 months.  Now this happens. Life isn’t fair, Is it? 

🙏🙏🙏's

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Update: he still hasn’t gotten his results. Ridiculous. 

My inlaws got tested Friday morning and had results back by Friday night.  They're in a high risk group, ages 80 and 82, so maybe they were prioritized?  

And... yay... they both tested positive.  They don't seem to be on trek for hospitalization so that's good, they're not feeling great but they're hanging in there.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

Update.  

no real update. Which I guess is a good thing. 
still on a respirator.  Going to try a plasma treatment tomorrow. (Hopefully). Had to pull some strings to get him considered.  

as I said in my first post. If he had been poor or not had connections, he would have been one more death statistic by now. 

Edited by Xian
  • Hook 'Em 4

49 minutes ago, Xian said:

Update.  
no real update. Which I guess is a good thing. 
still on a respirator.  Going to try a plasma treatment tomorrow. (Hopefully). Had to pull some strings to get him considered.  
as I said in my first post. If he had been poor or not had connections, he would have been one more death statistic by now. 

Strength and perseverance to the entire family. Hang in there.

• Hook 'Em 1

FIL's test results came back Thursday - positive.  He came home from a vacation in Florida (figures) and then sat maskless next to this guy (https://kfdm.com/news/local/july-30-interview-with-beaumont-anesthesiologist-dr-ray-callas-whos-battling-covid-19) at a restaurant(grrr) a week ago Friday and then came over to my house for 2 hours.

Woke up at 4am this morning with headache, body aches, 101 fever, and cough.  Wife and I just did the molecular sinus swab test at CVS this morning. Her symptoms are milder, zero taste and smell, and I can still taste a little but feel like shit otherwise.

@Xian Our thoughts and prayers are with your FIL and family.

How fast can this be passed?  in other words, if FIL was exposed at noon, and I gave him a bro hug at 6pm, did I get it from him or was I previously exposed?

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

How fast can this be passed?  in other words, if FIL was exposed at noon, and I gave him a bro hug at 6pm, did I get it from him or was I previously exposed?

I'm pretty sure it's a couple days before a person becomes infectious. Guess it's possible whatever was on his clothes or body jumped onto you in your hug. Of course there's any number of other possibilities in our daily lives, even if we're being careful.

Best wishes to BearSchlong and Xian and your families. We appreciate the updates here.

Positive for the antibodies, but never had any severe symptoms. Best I could tell was I may have had it late-June. 
I have a customer that’s been on a respirator for 20+ days. He’s still fighting it, but not looking good and no telling how damaged he’ll be if he gets out. 

On 7/25/2020 at 9:21 AM, Xian said:

Well, he collapsed in the shower last night and was rushed to the hospital again.  Oxygen was in the 40s. They still wouldn’t admit him until the nurse started screaming at the bureaucrat who is in charge of checking people in.   At midnight he tested positive finally (3rd or 4th test) and is currently on a respirator. 

That makes no sense. O2 in the 40's gets intubated quickly unless it responds to high flow oxygen and either scenario is an automatic admission. There are no bureaucrats sitting in hospital ED's that decide who gets admitted. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Newdoc said:

That makes no sense. O2 in the 40's gets intubated quickly unless it responds to high flow oxygen and either scenario is an automatic admission. There are no bureaucrats sitting in hospital ED's that decide who gets admitted. 

I’m in Texas, so can only go by what my Frantic MiL says via my frantic wife.   I have a feeling they are/were in triage mode.  Plus at the time he had tested negative for covid multiple times. They were worried that if he didn’t have it, he would catch it by being there.   He didn’t test positive till later that night/morning. 

no real update today. Still waiting for the plasma treatment to start. Not sure why there is a delay, but MiL said something about the supply being at another hospital and they limiting who gets treatment, but I don’t know the exact details.    Apparently he had an anxiety attack last night, but besides that no change.  

thanks for all the well wishes. To be honest, writing these updates has been pretty cathartic. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7D33F622-8474-4BD4-BBA7-62AB795E8343.jpeg.9925cfb4d2ca39ce5c919211dd9f4faa.jpeg
So much truth. When I take Tylenol and the fever breaks and the body aches go away, I take stock of myself, decide I don't feel so bad, and wonder if this is all in my head. That the tests will come back negative and that I've developed some kind of munchhausens syndrome over too much worry and isolation since March.

Then the low grade fever returns, and my skin just hurts. All of it.

This isn't in my head. Just took my 2nd dose of Tylenol today.

On 7/25/2020 at 9:21 AM, Xian said:

My father in law has it. He is in his 60s and doctor in Miami. 
Everyone wanted him to stay home but he kept working since it was “his duty”.

He has had trouble breathing and a constant 102 fever but tested negative for covid at first so they wouldn’t admit him in the hospital for an X-ray or treatment. The hospitals are that packed.

My mother in law knows somebody who runs a “X-ray at home business” for the elderly where they come to your house to take an X-ray.   In my FiLs own words, his “lungs looked like shit”. Hospital still wouldn’t take him.  

His breathing got so bad that they found a family friend who has oxygen tanks and he started self medicating with oxygen. 

My in-laws are relatively wealthy and well connected  I can’t imagine being poor in the same condition   

im tearing up now.  I really want my 5 month old daughter to grow up knowing her abuelo.   He is a great man. fled his homeland after getting word the secret police were after him for handing out political cartoons. Came to American with nothing, saving up all his money for six years to get his wife and young children over here out starvation.  Basically the American dream.   After all that sacrifice his life is finally going well.  His first three grandchildren were born in the last 10 months.  Now this happens. Life isn’t fair, Is it? 

Praying for he and your fam 

• Hook 'Em 2

Doc down! Doc down!

I’m going on day 8 of Covid but was out of town and waited to get back before testing yesterday. We are cotesting our point of care antigen test with the standard PCR so my rapid came back positive first which means the PCR test will likely as well. I probably picked the infection up at work prior to my time off as I saw several positive patients prior to my time off and started with symptoms 4 days after my last shift.

I quarantined off when I started with symptoms. Headache, body aches, slight fatigue and chills but no fever, cough or shortness of breath. Loss of smell four days prior and it’s starting to come back intermittently. It’s so weird to not taste or smell. Actually, I can taste salt and bitter so it’s really just my smell that’s affected.

I’m pretty sure that my Vitamin D level is sufficient, I am normal weight and exercise 5 days a week but with pushing 50, I feel fortunate to have a mild case. I did not consider taking additional supplements or prescriptions. I probably have some coronavirus immune factors since I see sick kids all the time in my practice.

It will be good to get this out of the way and from the evidence I see, I wouldn’t worry about reinfection for several months.

• Hook 'Em 9

23 hours ago, Xian said:

I’m in Texas, so can only go by what my Frantic MiL says via my frantic wife.   I have a feeling they are/were in triage mode.  Plus at the time he had tested negative for covid multiple times. They were worried that if he didn’t have it, he would catch it by being there.   He didn’t test positive till later that night/morning. 

no real update today. Still waiting for the plasma treatment to start. Not sure why there is a delay, but MiL said something about the supply being at another hospital and they limiting who gets treatment, but I don’t know the exact details.    Apparently he had an anxiety attack last night, but besides that no change.  

thanks for all the well wishes. To be honest, writing these updates has been pretty cathartic. 

After putting it off for some time, I finally got around to donating convalescent plasma last Tuesday. I heard it was kind of painful but it wasn't at all in my experience. Part of my reasoning to donate was to get another antibody test to see how immune I may or may not still be. Was advised that Carter Blood Care only gives tests to those doing regular donations. I believe they test my plasma somewhere along the way to confirm COVID-19 antibodies but I know they can use it whether It does or not. Still, I'd like to know where I stand as far as antibodies go.

• Hook 'Em 2

Driving down I20 on Saturday in East Texas, there was a water park that was full to the gills with people.  A large stairwell all the way to the top to ride a waterslide down....full of people, basically on top of each other.  Lots of social distancing down your way, just can't imagine why this thing is spreading.....

One woman I work with came back yesterday, she had very little issue with it.  Turns out her daughters friend had symptoms and wasn't feeling great but kept coming over to their house anyways.  Womans daughter called her out on it finally and then entire family got tested.  Friend, daughter and coworker all got it, however another friend(whom had been around them everytime) and the rest of coworkers family all tested negative and showed no symptoms.

Another co-worker rode in a car with someone who later that day tested positive and she has been quarantined but so far has not tested positive.  Way more drama than the first go round.

On 8/3/2020 at 1:27 PM, C-Man said:

After putting it off for some time, I finally got around to donating convalescent plasma last Tuesday. I heard it was kind of painful but it wasn't at all in my experience. Part of my reasoning to donate was to get another antibody test to see how immune I may or may not still be. Was advised that Carter Blood Care only gives tests to those doing regular donations. I believe they test my plasma somewhere along the way to confirm COVID-19 antibodies but I know they can use it whether It does or not. Still, I'd like to know where I stand as far as antibodies go.

$10. Schedule online.  Took 5 minutes.  Results in less than 24 hours.

https://www.labcorp.com/antibody-testing

17 minutes ago, dcbc said:

$10. Schedule online.  Took 5 minutes.  Results in less than 24 hours.

https://www.labcorp.com/antibody-testing

Full blood draw or finger-prick? Got an EM response for Carter that they don't test the plasma that I give through that program. I have to think somebody is somewhere along the supply line, right? Or is this just another example of where we flat-out suck gigantic ass in our COVID-19 practices?

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Got the antibody test day before yesterday while I was waiting for the actual real test results - those were negative.  Wife and I both got positive RNA test results today.

Good luck to y'all...seems like symptoms have been around a few days, so hopefully you're on the back end of it. Lots of people keep testing positive for a while even when they feel recovered.

Good luck to y'all...seems like symptoms have been around a few days, so hopefully you're on the back end of it. Lots of people keep testing positive for a while even when they feel recovered.
Sick since Saturday AM, its now Thursday and the worst day so far. Today is the first day I've stayed in bed mostly. Been trying to push through.

Thanks for the well wishes.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2020 at 1:16 PM, Newdoc said:

Doc down! Doc down!

I’m going on day 8 of Covid but was out of town and waited to get back before testing yesterday. We are cotesting our point of care antigen test with the standard PCR so my rapid came back positive first which means the PCR test will likely as well. I probably picked the infection up at work prior to my time off as I saw several positive patients prior to my time off and started with symptoms 4 days after my last shift.

I quarantined off when I started with symptoms. Headache, body aches, slight fatigue and chills but no fever, cough or shortness of breath. Loss of smell four days prior and it’s starting to come back intermittently. It’s so weird to not taste or smell. Actually, I can taste salt and bitter so it’s really just my smell that’s affected.

I’m pretty sure that my Vitamin D level is sufficient, I am normal weight and exercise 5 days a week but with pushing 50, I feel fortunate to have a mild case. I did not consider taking additional supplements or prescriptions. I probably have some coronavirus immune factors since I see sick kids all the time in my practice.

It will be good to get this out of the way and from the evidence I see, I wouldn’t worry about reinfection for several months.

I was reading the CDC site and it says that healthcare workers can go to work 10 days after their symptoms first appear. That sounded way too soon for my liking. I would think it would be 10 days from the last day of symptoms. Anyway, now that you have had it when do you think you should go back to work?

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

Full blood draw or finger-prick? Got an EM response for Carter that they don't test the plasma that I give through that program. I have to think somebody is somewhere along the supply line, right? Or is this just another example of where we flat-out suck gigantic ass in our COVID-19 practices?

Full blood draw.  Select the "don't have insurance" option, which I know is easy because you don't know the meaning of the word.

Edited by dcbc

3 minutes ago, Xian said:

Good news from the Xian family front. 
FiL is doing much better after receiving some new antiviral drug and is finally off a respirator!  He can now breath with just good ol’ O2 treatment!  

thanks for all the well wishes. 

Good news, glad to hear it!

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

I was reading the CDC site and it says that healthcare workers can go to work 10 days after their symptoms first appear. That sounded way too soon for my liking. I would think it would be 10 days from the last day of symptoms. Anyway, now that you have had it when do you think you should go back to work?

10 days from onset of symptoms. The viral shedding for greater than 99% of the healthy population is done by 10 days. Really, most people have dropped to undetectable shedding by day 8.  This does mean your symptoms need to have improved except for maybe the loss of smell and slight lingering cough type symptoms. Everyone still should be wearing a mask anyway and that would mitigate risk even further.

I think I mentioned here that my inlaws caught the coronas a few weeks back.  They're both in their 80s and my FIL has diabetes as well, so needless to say I was incredibly worried about them.  

Luckily they never displayed any of the respiratory/pneumonia type symptoms, it was mainly just GI, loss of appetite, and extreme fatigue.  But now, 3 weeks after first symptoms and almost 4 weeks after exposure,  they're doing much, much better.  They've both lost a lot of weigh, but they're finally eating again, and actually had us drop off some Whataburger for them a couple of days ago, so they're obviously feeling way better.  I can tell by talking to them they're much stronger as well. They're not complaining of any more "down" days so hopefully the worst is past and it will only go upwards from here.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1