I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Gil Bang

4 minutes ago, Apep said:

My grandmother went to the hospital on Thursday for low O2. She'd just started chemo three weeks ago for the leukemia she's had off-and-on for at least the last 25 years, so they figured that was the cause. By Friday, she tested positive. Yesterday she asked to be taken off meds and O2. Now we wait for the inevitable.

Sucks, I'm sorry to hear

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Apep said:

My grandmother went to the hospital on Thursday for low O2. She'd just started chemo three weeks ago for the leukemia she's had off-and-on for at least the last 25 years, so they figured that was the cause. By Friday, she tested positive. Yesterday she asked to be taken off meds and O2. Now we wait for the inevitable.

Sorry to hear that bud.  Good luck to you and your family.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Felix said:

I've got it.  Positive test.  My wife gave it to me.  She probably got it from visiting a nursing home.  She had extreme fatigue, no appetite, and some intestinal issues but no breathing problems and fever only on the 2nd day of symptoms.  She's fine now after 6 pretty rough days.  My kids all tested negative but I came back positive even though we did a pretty good job of quarantining her I thought.

Minor symptoms for me so far.  Mild cough, some fatigue but nothing like her, and a low grade fever yesterday.  I'm asthmatic so my doc is trying to get me approved for monoclonal antibodies.  I'm isolating from the kids but all in all I don't feel too bad yet.  I think I'm early in the process but I don't usually get too sick even when I get sick so I'm hoping my immune system will be up the task.

Get well and keep us updated.

5 minutes ago, Apep said:

My heart goes out to y'all. My 83-year-old dad has been in the hospital with it since this weekend and is on oxygen. My 79-year-old mom is also positive with it and is still at home but has a fever and is a little short of breath. My sister, who's a PA, drove down from Denver and is staying in my parents' RV taking care of her the best she can while in full PPE gear and put my mom on dexamethasone this morning. Fucking sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, BearSchlong said:

Turned 48 10 days into covid. They lured me out to the front porch and a caravan of family in cars wished me well. And brought cake that I couldn't taste.

That's got to be really weird.  Might as well eat rice cakes and lose some weight.

1 hour ago, Apep said:

sorry to hear that. grandmothers are the best

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

My heart goes out to y'all. My 83-year-old dad has been in the hospital with it since this weekend and is on oxygen. My 79-year-old mom is also positive with it and is still at home but has a fever and is a little short of breath. My sister, who's a PA, drove down from Denver and is staying in my parents' RV taking care of her the best she can while in full PPE gear and put my mom on dexamethasone this morning. Fucking sucks.

praying for a speedy recovery here.

So sorry to hear.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I got a BAM infusion last Wednesday.  Long appointment but pretty easy.  I had pretty mild symptoms at the time (which is when you're supposed to get it) and I'm now on Day 8 since positive test and of onset of symptoms.  I feel fine.  I have a slight cough but it's hard to tell if that's just my usual asthma cough or Covid cough.  I had my follow up Friday and doc said if I'm symptom free and feel ok I can leave quarantine on Thursday.  I think the isolation is worse than the disease for me, but who knows how it would have progressed had I not gotten the antibodies. 

Props to my doc for doing the leg work to get me the infusion.  If you do get this let your regular doctor know just in case there's something they can do for you.  I'm glad I didn't have it as bad as my wife did, and I'm sure glad it's pretty much over for me.

Interestingly they told me to wait at least 3 months to get the vaccine as the antibodies I received can possibly cause the effect to be reduced or even eliminated due to my immune system being supplemented by the antibodies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

Good news. Probably good to let people know you do need to meet criteria to qualify for the treatment.

Good point.  Yes you must meet certain risk factors to get this.  In my case fat and asthmatic.  Again credit to my doctor for initiating the process when I notified her of my positive test and early symptoms.

• Fuck You 2

5 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Good news. Probably good to let people know you do need to meet criteria to qualify for the treatment.

I got my son tested on Friday and results still aren't back. I put him on azithromycin and have him using nebulized corticosteroids and levalbuterol. He isn't improving or getting worse. He doesn't think he was around anyone positive, and it could be a different virus, but it isn't looking great. I just wish we already had the results, it would make treatment and quarantining easier. If you are seeing teenagers, what are your instructions? Are you just telling them to quarantine and to come back if SpO2 drops to below 90?

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I got my son tested on Friday and results still aren't back. I put him on azithromycin and have him using nebulized corticosteroids and levalbuterol. He isn't improving or getting worse. He doesn't think he was around anyone positive, and it could be a different virus, but it isn't looking great. I just wish we already had the results, it would make treatment and quarantining easier. If you are seeing teenagers, what are your instructions? Are you just telling them to quarantine and to come back if SpO2 drops to below 90?

I’m not really seeing a lot of asthmatics turn for the worse with Covid. I hope your son does well. It seems like the budesonide treatments are anecdotally helping a lot of people with asthma or some other form of obstructive lung disease if they exacerbate with Covid. Our central Texas viral typing through BSW has shown adeno and rhino virus circulating around as well. One random case of RSV too. Influenza seems to be waiting its turn so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Recovery study results didn’t show a benefit for azithromycin.  

Yeah, I didn't think he had Covid but considering that he isn't responding to asthma treatment or antibiotics... we shall see. I just want to get the results and figure it out from there. As doc just stated adeno and rhino virus are going around as well.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Recovery study results didn’t show a benefit for azithromycin.  

The azithromycin is kind of a knee-jerk response we are using when we think there might be a secondary infection going on. I haven’t really been using it primarily to treat what appears to be a purely viral syndrome. I think you were alluding to the fact that some are using it as primary for Covid and I agree the data is just not there.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, I didn't think he had Covid but considering that he isn't responding to asthma treatment or antibiotics... we shall see. I just want to get the results and figure it out from there. As doc just stated adeno and rhino virus are going around as well.

Adeno and rhino even with our current level of increased hygiene?

Drove to New Orleans from Houston yesterday for work.  Didn't want to fly and be exposed to rona as my MIL is staying with us and she's about to go through chemo and surgery.  Arrived at the office this morning for a meeting and got a quick test with antibodies.  Tested positive for antibodies.  Took another test, same result.  Positive for antibodies, negative for COVID right now.

I don't know what to think anymore.

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Drove to New Orleans from Houston yesterday for work.  Didn't want to fly and be exposed to rona as my MIL is staying with us and she's about to go through chemo and surgery.  Arrived at the office this morning for a meeting and got a quick test with antibodies.  Tested positive for antibodies.  Took another test, same result.  Positive for antibodies, negative for COVID right now.

I don't know what to think anymore.

You lucky son of a bitch. You're free. Go back to NOLA and party your ass off.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got it, from wife. I’m 56. She got it at work. She’s had a some fever for the first 2 days but seems to be gone. I’ve just had it for 2 days. Fever doesn’t seem to want to leave. Feeling pretty lousy. I guess I should probably call the doctor tomorrow.

Wives thread —-> for more details please

JK good luck to you and your better half. Hopefully it’s just fevers.

18 hours ago, sunset87 said:

Got it, from wife. I’m 56. She got it at work. She’s had a some fever for the first 2 days but seems to be gone. I’ve just had it for 2 days. Fever doesn’t seem to want to leave. Feeling pretty lousy. I guess I should probably call the doctor tomorrow.

What precautions did your wife's employer take to help prevent infection? This site is littered with lawyers looking to take on a losing case. 

Seriously though, good luck and get better

3 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

What precautions did your wife's employer take to help prevent infection? This site is littered with lawyers looking to take on a losing case. 

Seriously though, good luck and get better

Hah! Yeah she is one of the managers and they have been jumping through hoops to keep the place safe. But she works in the media and they have to have certain people there to accomplish the basics. They have protocols but some of the types that have to be there are not the brightest...

Last update from me.  I'm off quarantine today per my doctor I'm no longer contagious and I feel great.  In my case the isolation was worse than the illness but I know that makes me lucky and I say if you can avoid getting it, do it.

My wife still isn't 100% a month after getting it.  She still have a cough and low energy but she's functioning and getting better each day.  She lost her sweet tooth so that's probably good, but sucks for her.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

So my wife had a hiatal hernia repair done today. About an hour after she gets back to the room the Director of Nursing (something like that) comes in to tell us that the OR nurse started showing symptoms that morning and bombed a rapid test. Covid positive. Ugh

nurse would have been in full PPE, and I’m sure chance of catching is low, but damn.

They said they have the rapid tests and to come in Monday/Tuesday if she started showing anything. 

nice knowing y’all. 

42. Tested positive on Thursday. Started feeling sick Wednesday evening. Mainly head congestion with sinus headache. Fever overnight Wednesday right around 100, but no fever since then. Feeling a little run down, same headache, a little dry cough. Still have taste and smell. 

I think it’s from my wife. She started feeling run down on Saturday with some sinus congestion. She went and got tested on Monday, came back Tuesday as negative. After I got a positive she went and got tested again Thursday and was positive. She feels fine but can’t taste or smell anything. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I’ve been battling a fever for 2 days and keep taking ibuprofen and vitamin c like everyb3-4 hours. The fever will not turn. It’s been as high as 102, but seems to average around 100. Yesterday I had a headache like I’ve never had before. It felt like a sinus headache. Still have sense of taste and smell. No throat ache and only a little bit of a runny nose.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:49 PM, Jatrain said:

42. Tested positive on Thursday. Started feeling sick Wednesday evening. Mainly head congestion with sinus headache. Fever overnight Wednesday right around 100, but no fever since then. Feeling a little run down, same headache, a little dry cough. Still have taste and smell. 

I think it’s from my wife. She started feeling run down on Saturday with some sinus congestion. She went and got tested on Monday, came back Tuesday as negative. After I got a positive she went and got tested again Thursday and was positive. She feels fine but can’t taste or smell anything. 

Update? I'm in the same boat as your wife but I haven't tested yet. Sinus headache, mild congestion, and no sense of smell or taste. FWIW I wear a mask everywhere I go except for my home. 

A friend and I had dinner Monday night at an outdoor restaurant. Wednesday AM, she called me, and two people she had been out with on the Friday before had tested positive. She was getting tested this morning, but I was able to get an apt for a PCR test appt yesterday afternoon. Found out this AM she is negative, and I got my tests results about 3:00 this afternoon. Negative. Whew.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 12/8/2020 at 11:58 AM, Apep said:

Much grace my man.

Mrs Fairway has tested positive, she tested Saturday and got the results just after midnight today.
So I tested today, waiting on the results (although it really doesn't matter that much as I have to quarantine because of close contact) and a all my local kids are also testing today.

She has cold like symptoms, runny nose, sore throat, some loss of taste (which happens every year when she gets the flu/cold), I don't feel any different. But even if I test negative I can't go back to work until 1/4. 
This year can't end soon enough - the only real implication is that I can't go and see my Mom, through a window, at her nursing home on Sunday for her birthday. Haven't really seen her, other than through a window, since my Dad's funeral the end of June. 

Update - lots of folks in the extended family tested the last two days, mostly from a small family gathering the Sunday before Christmas
Here is the tally, so far - 
Mrs Fairway and my youngest son tested Positive
My oldest son, 2 nephews and 1 niece and ME all tested negative
my son-in-law is waiting for results and my daughter hasn't tested yet

On a side note, my daughter who is in Seattle tested on Sunday and is negative
But due to covid rules I have moved into the spare bedroom, and the guest bathroom is mine - but I still can't go back to work until 1/4 at the earliest (I'll likely get another test on Friday, just to be sure)

So New Years eve at home, but trying to separate myself from my wife & son who have tested +, so maybe I'll celebrate drinking beer in my garage listening to George Thorogood

Update - lots of folks in the extended family tested the last two days, mostly from a small family gathering the Sunday before Christmas
But due to covid rules I have moved into the spare bedroom, and the guest bathroom is mine - but I still can't go back to work until 1/4 at the earliest (I'll likely get another test on Friday, just to be sure)
So New Years eve at home, but trying to separate myself from my wife & son who have tested +, so maybe I'll celebrate drinking beer in my garage listening to George Thorogood
Any symptoms? My sister in law tested negative during the worst of her symptoms then positive a week later on the tail end of being symptomatic. It's a weird virus.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:22 PM, Wally Fairway said:

She has cold like symptoms, runny nose, sore throat, some loss of taste (which happens every year when she gets the flu/cold), 

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Any symptoms? My sister in law tested negative during the worst of her symptoms then positive a week later on the tail end of being symptomatic. It's a weird virus.

My son seems to be asymptomatic, Mrs Fairway is the same as posted above.
I'm tired, but I think that has to do sleeping in the spare bedroom

44 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Quarantining inside the quarantine.  I did it about three weeks ago when my older son tested positive and my wife had symptoms but had a negative rapid and pcr test.  It's not fun, but none of the rest of us got it or showed symptoms by separating in the house and masking up in the common areas (kids almost never were allowed downstairs though).  I became an unpaid short order cook and laundromat owner for our family during this time.  You can live with someone who tests positive and not get it (I don't think I'm a late 40s asymptomatic unicorn), but it's a bit of a beating.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

After 5+ days of fever, I went to the ER Saturday. I tested positive and they also found a spot on my lung they said is inconsistent with covid. My pulse ox was at 95, so they didn’t keep me. The fever is still here after a week, but starting to stay down. I do feel very winded just making short walks from one room to the next and haven’t felt like eating in about 3 days. I’m isolating at home alone and just trying to keep fluids in and rest. Thankfully no one I was around recently is showing symptoms.

• Hook 'Em 6