I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Gil Bang

Wife's grandfather died from it yesterday.  His wife (whom my oldest daughter is named after) can't go to the funeral since leaving home would probably infect/kill her too.  Fun times.  

Their county has been written up a half-dozen times as ground zero for defiance of all CDC guidelines in rural areas.  They have no healthcare infrastructure for an hour in any direction.  Her maternal grandfather was a fucking hoss.  Survived the great depression in rural dustbowl Kansas, beat polio, the Japanese, and produced like 50 grandchildren/great-grandchildren while running an agricultural empire spanning tens of thousands of acres.  But in the end, the other visitors to his nursing home to see other residents felt masks were a muzzle.  So one of the toughest sumbitches I'll ever know, and I've met more than my fair share, went out in severe pain and all alone.  Because the freedoms of others was more important, despite all he did to preserve those gifts for others.  

Edited by Lobo

I was sick the 27-29th, lost smell/taste on the 29th. Felt like allergies since. Woke up from a dead sleep at 5am yesterday with the worst migraine I've ever had. It's still barely lingering around this morning, but I couldn't function yesterday, and that's after taking my prescription migraine meds.  I've learned over the past few years that dehydration was a huge trigger for my migraines, and I've been on top of it.  I'm starting to get a little more sensation from eating, so there's a positive.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I'm back in the office for the first time since before Christmas, my quarantine ended yesterday. 
I still feel tired, but I thing a lot of that is due to not being in my own bed for those 10 days, a very mild cough is the only symptom. I never tested positive (my wife and son who is home from college did test positive), now I'll wait and see if I have anti-bodies. That test will be don when I go to donate blood, which is scheduled for 1/29.

On 1/4/2021 at 1:06 PM, MirrOlure said:

Day 4 for us, and we’re doing pretty well, considering.

Reset: Wife and I are healthy and active 53 and 54 year olds, we were exposed right after Christmas and tested positive on 1/1 with mild but persistent symptoms.

My main complaints have been that my “thermostat” is out of whack...no fever, but always feel cold. Body aches come and go, as does this fuzzy-headed feeling similar to waking up in the morning after a night of too much tequila. Tylenol helps. Taste and smell still with me but seem to be fading.

Wife has a few more symptoms...a touch more congestion and almost full loss of taste and smell....but is generally up and about too.

I was symptomatic starting December 15th, which started with a cough. I am about the same age as you.  I had fever for the first two days, got up to 102.3 and after that body aches, congestion, fatigue and lost taste and smell but for only a couple of days. 

The worst part is how long it seems to drag on and, the main reason I quoted, the freaking brain fog.  That stuff lasted a good 15 to 16 days after my initial symptoms.  It's a shitty feeling that you just can't shake. I am pretty much fully recovered now, but I have heard some people have brain fog for months.  That would drive me insane.

Edited by sunset87

I got the Vid. I was down for quite awhile. Headaches, body aches, hot and cold flashes, chest pains, cold sweats, and so tired. But the scariest thing was day 5 or 6 I started feeling tightness breathing. Then I would start coughing uncontrollably anytime I took a full breath. Nothing was coming up, It was a dry cough. I had to meditate and slow my breathing down to get control of it. I also had to raise my arms above my head to breath comfortably. 17 days until I got right. I lost 18lbs. I still cannot smell.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/5/2021 at 1:16 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

My friend who I spent NYE with tested positive today.  Felt like she had a bad head cold yesterday.  Was going in for a physical, and because she wasn't feeling well, they did a rapid test.  It is positive.

So, I last saw her Thursday night.  I have no symptoms at all.

So, getting a PCR test on Wednesday afternoon (tomorrow) and expect results to come back Thursday afternoon (the last one I took right before Christmas, turnaround time was just over 24 hours).  I will also do a rapid test Friday morning.  

Why all the testing?  Welp, Sunday is my birthday.  Already going to cancel our Friday night outdoor dinner plans, but would like to be able to make the outdoor brunch scheduled on Sunday provided I am negative.  Sigh.  FYI, this is the same friend that potentially exposed me in late December.  She is being careful, it is just this shit is everywhere at this point.  They really need to get on top of the vaccine rollout.  It really isn't going that well.

Negative COVID PCR test for me taken on day 6 after exposure.  Current NY rules are that you quarantine for 7 days if you get a negative test on day 5 or later.  I got a negative test on day 6 and have very obviously had no symptoms.  So my quarantine ends tomorrow.  

This shit is so weird.  Then again, I still think I had this mess in late January 2020.  Maybe immunity lasts longer than we think. 

On 12/24/2020 at 7:01 PM, HRSchenker said:

Update? I'm in the same boat as your wife but I haven't tested yet. Sinus headache, mild congestion, and no sense of smell or taste. FWIW I wear a mask everywhere I go except for my home. 

I think I'm fully recovered although I never got tested. My fever spiked to 101 but then went away. After that it was smooth sailing. My smell and taste are sort of back, it's actually kind of weird. I can taste and smell things for about half a second and then it all disappears. Since I couldn't taste food I ate very generically so my weight is down to 215.

On 1/7/2021 at 11:30 AM, sunset87 said:

I was symptomatic starting December 15th, which started with a cough. I am about the same age as you.  I had fever for the first two days, got up to 102.3 and after that body aches, congestion, fatigue and lost taste and smell but for only a couple of days. 

The worst part is how long it seems to drag on and, the main reason I quoted, the freaking brain fog.  That stuff lasted a good 15 to 16 days after my initial symptoms.  It's a shitty feeling that you just can't shake. I am pretty much fully recovered now, but I have heard some people have brain fog for months.  That would drive me insane.

That was me too. I started having symptoms around the 22nd. Started with fever and body aches. I never really had a cough. Tested positive on the 26th and for about a week after that could barely walk from one room to the other without feeling short of breath. Had the brain fog and didn't feel 100% normal until this past weekend (Jan 10th), also dropped nearly 20lbs during those few weeks.

We're taking our 4 year old in to get tested this morning at 11.  Daycare closed on Tuesday as two newborn watchers tested positive.  He didn't have any direct contact with them last Friday or this Monday though.  He started coughing, runny nose, sneezing and light fever yesterday.  If he's positive, my wife and I will be too.

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

We're taking our 4 year old in to get tested this morning at 11.  Daycare closed on Tuesday as two newborn watchers tested positive.  He didn't have any direct contact with them last Friday or this Monday though.  He started coughing, runny nose, sneezing and light fever yesterday.  If he's positive, my wife and I will be too.

Kid tested positive.  Let the fun begin.

Four of us have had it since New Years.  Wife and her sister had a funeral in East Texas and drove together.  It was outdoors.  But her sister had picked it up from someone around Christmas.  So my wife got it since they rode together for 8 hours roundtrip.  And then I got it along with kids.

Has been no big deal, fortunately.  Very mild symptoms that ended days ago. Be glad to have the antibodies and glad my kids got it so none of us have to worry much.  Should buy enough time to get the vaccine.

We have been isolated since New Years.  Going to end that next weekend just to be safe so we don't get anyone else sick.  But I doubt we can transmit at this point given the CDC guidelines.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wife tested positive yesterday, my parents both tested positive today, I am waiting on my son and my tests to come back but I'm 95% sure I am positive at this point. 

We've been pretty much quarantined except for one day that my wife went to work and stayed in her office with a mask on and one time my parents went to church and supposedly kept masks on and stayed away from people. But I think those are the only two events that could have exposed us. 

Should I go Junior Miller on all three of them just to be on the safe side?

• Hook 'Em 1

Tested positive this week along with a host of peers.  Was in another state for training last week. Long days jet lag but still went to gym and had a few runs under my belt. Was kind of tired but just felt lagged.  Went north for work Sunday and went for an evening run in the 30s ans woke up Monday with a stuffy head.  Thst morning a colleague had a fever got tested and positive. I tested Wednesday positive. I’ve had no symptoms. All tastes and smell. No fever or aches. Been on the trainer a few times this week maybe 60 miles total on the bike.  Other folks have varying symptoms.  Surprised it took this long with about a dozen trips. Gym exposure and many cross country trainings. I managed almost a year dodging it 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

Tested positive after the new year, got it probably right around New Year's eve in the valley. Ending my quarantine, per CDC guidelines today. Felt first symptoms last Tuesday, Wednesday/Thursday I had a real light fever for a couple hours a day (to where I was warm, but constantly questioning whether I was just making shit up), a couple random body aches where I don't have normal problems (my hip hurt in an area I've never felt before, for one day), but on day 3 until now (day 11) it's basically been like the ending of a cold. Just getting rid of congestion. Ran a couple miles twice this week, feel great. Lucky, went to visit my family in the valley and 3 of them got it too. I was the only addition to the household for the holiday, but luckily I didn't bring it, we got it there. Nobody got really sick, luckily. 

A few people have asked me if I've gotten a negative test, but I'm going with the CDC on this. 10 days from first symptoms, as long as you've improved and haven't had a fever. The test doesn't measure if you're contagious, it just looks for traces of the virus (active or inactive), so those aren't "false" negatives, they're just not telling you if you're contagious. /rant.

On 1/15/2021 at 7:44 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Signed my wife and I up for tests for Sunday after my 4 year old tested positive today. I’ve got some stomach issues, tired, runny nose, and loss of taste. Wife has no symptoms.

That sucks.  We were exposed in a similar situation to yours but so far so good. Both our kids were exposed in preschool (a kids father tested positive, his kids were aysmptomatic but they tested them after the dad's positive test and both the 2 and 4 year old had it).  Both our kids were in class with those kids the day before the positive test.   We're 5 days in and no symptoms in our house yet so hoping we get lucky.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

That sucks.  We were exposed in a similar situation to yours but so far so good. Both our kids were exposed in preschool (a kids father tested positive, his kids were aysmptomatic but they tested them after the dad's positive test and both the 2 and 4 year old had it).  Both our kids were in class with those kids the day before the positive test.   We're 5 days in and no symptoms in our house yet so hoping we get lucky.

I feel shitty today and felt bad yesterday. Just run down and want to go get in bed. Kid is running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Wife feels bad but not as bad as me.

Tests are at 2 at CVS. We’ll see. Hope you and your family turn out to not be sick.

2 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I feel shitty today and felt bad yesterday. Just run down and want to go get in bed. Kid is running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Wife feels bad but not as bad as me.

Tests are at 2 at CVS. We’ll see. Hope you and your family turn out to not be sick.

Parenting while both get sick has been a big fear of ours throughout this entire event.    Hopefully it doesn't knock both you and your wife down at the same time.  We dropped off food with the family that exposed us.  Sounds like the dad has been knocked on his ass and basically in bed most of the last couple of days.   Wife has been "ok but tired".  Parenting a 2 and 4 year old is a damn beating in the best of times, can't imagine doing it sick as hell.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Parenting while both get sick has been a big fear of ours throughout this entire event.    Hopefully it doesn't knock both you and your wife down at the same time.  We dropped off food with the family that exposed us.  Sounds like the dad has been knocked on his ass and basically in bed most of the last couple of days.   Wife has been "ok but tired".  Parenting a 2 and 4 year old is a damn beating in the best of times, can't imagine doing it sick as hell.

Something unusual for me is to try and nap. I actually felt like I needed to lay down yesterday afternoon. Very unlike me. Appetite is pretty much gone too. Not nauseous or anything, just not hungry.

55 minutes ago, Skipper said:

My 7yo son is close friends with a girl who just tested positive, and my wife is currently waiting results for the two of them (her second test).  I am sitting here hoping like hell it’s negative...because if he tests positive then I’ll have to take my 4yo for us both to get tested, the whole family has to quarantine potentially ill for two weeks, and my 7yo entire class will have to go virtual for 2 weeks.  

The 7yo is reasonably self sufficient, and it’d be tough but I could probably manage my work + helping him with school for two weeks.  With the feisty 4yo around, nothing will get done as my wife and I try to work remote + parent + teach.  If my wife and I are positive and become ill, it’s going to be awfully rough around here.  

Best wishes to parents out there with young kiddos.  I know parenting is never easy at any age, but I think most of us would agree it’s a special kind of high maintenance with the younger ones.  I don’t even want to take my 4yo to test, in the three hours I’ve had here solo I’ve heard ‘dada’ so many times it’s become nails on a chalk board and I’m losing my cool.  

Update:  Rapid was negative pending PCR confirmation for both of them.  This shit is hitting too close to home for a lot of us, I have mad respect for those who are not in a position to work from home.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Skipper said:

We're quarantining with a 5 yo and 18 month old. Wife has been down most of the time and I got lucky with only mild symptoms, but I feel like I have no energy to do anything beyond sitting and watching them play or putting on a movie. We go out to the trampoline 3x a day, go for a walk, whatever it takes to get through the day. 

My son (5) tested negative and we didn't test my daughter. Yesterday she started screaming at every little thing so it was obvious she almost certainly has it. 

The thought of going through this with both parents being very sick is horrifying. I feel like there could be a covid nanny service where you could pay people who have already gotten it and have the antibodies to come and take care of the kids during the day. 

Both the wife and I tested negative via PCR test. There’s absolutely no way we would be negative if the kid was positive.

Anecdotally, seen a few families where 1 kid tested positive and nobody else in the family had a positive.  Also have seen families where everybody flipped a positive or where 1 parent buy not anyone else got it. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Anecdotally, seen a few families where 1 kid tested positive and nobody else in the family had a positive.  Also have seen families where everybody flipped a positive or where 1 parent buy not anyone else got it. 

I'm more of the belief that the reliability of testing is dogshit.  Unless my wife and I have mutant immune systems, we would be sick if our kid was sick.

I'm more of the belief that the reliability of testing is dogshit.  Unless my wife and I have mutant immune systems, we would be sick if our kid was sick.

There is some pretty decent data out there that kids aren't the primary spreaders.  I obviously read a bunch after our kids were exposed.    Much more likely that a parent gives to a kid than vice versa.  And the younger the kids are the better odds they aren't spreaders.  Once they are adolescents they start spreading more efficiently.  Obviously if your kid has it there is still a substantial risk they will spread it to you so definitely not a sure thing but better odds than if you or your wife brought it in.

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Our 15 year old son tested positive.  Wife showed mild symptoms (fatigue and mild body aches), but was negative (rapid and PCR).  Possibly unrelated, I suppose.  We all quarantined (and quarantined within our quarantine), and neither I nor my 11 year old son showed any symptoms and I presume, at least in my case, that our strong precautions taken in house kept the rest of us from getting it.  Have a friend whose daughter got it, and they masked up and no one else in the house got it. 

Back in july:

A good friend of ours who is an anesthesiologist... her husband, her, and her two kids went to Fredricksburg for the weekend. Shared a hotel room, wine, food, etc. 

Her husband had a tickle in his throat starting Friday when they left, but thought nothing of it. By sunday evening, it was a full blown cough that was getting worse but overall he just felt like it was a cold, but suspected covid. He got tested on monday evening, got his results back wednesday AM (positive), and started quarantining away from the family on wed. 

The wife and kids all tested negative, both on wednesday and the following sunday, even after having shared food, drink, car, bed, etc.

Husband (who is a plastic surgeon) did fine and rejoined family.

last month:

His wife and kids tested postive for covid after all 3 came down with symptoms. All have recovered and are doing fine. Husband was only one who didnt have symptoms or test postive

This disease is crazy

Edited by GreenspointTexas

Well quarantine at the CHIEF household ended today. Wife and son were the only ones that had symptoms. I really think I had a mild case back in February after having a booth at the Dallas Safari Club Convention. Thousands of people from all over the Globe were there, and I was sick after that. I never lost my taste or smell, my wife has. My son lost his sense of smell.

I got a call from my concrete guy last week and he sounded awful, he did some dirt work for me this past weekend, I broke quarantine long enough to go look at his work, and spoke to him from downwind about 20 feet away, and he was obviously winded just operating a skid steer. I told him to go get checked for COVID. He is about 450 lbs., diabetic, and has a colostomy bag. His sister died about a month ago from COVID and we helped bury her. He called me crying from the hospital in Weatherford yesterday, he said he has a severe case. I prayed with him for peace and comfort, asked him if he feels he has his life right with God, and told him I loved him. I don't think he will make it out of the hospital alive.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 9:36 AM, pearlandhorn said:

niece got it at school and quarantined with roommate for 10 days and the roommate never got it.  happens all the time with people living together.

Ex's wife's fiancé tested positive two days after a family get together on 12/26.   They had a largely outdoor gathering with 25 family members but we were all inside for kids presents etc.  Dumb.  I kept joking to my kids about their mom's super spreader event.   She was not happy about that and I got an earful.  Against every rational thought I went.  Two days later.  Bam. I get the call.  Luckily the only other person to get it was my ex.  Not a single other person including my 84 yr old mother.   In hindsight the fact that it was mostly outside and large gathering and that the fiancé spent so much time running around cooking and hardly talking to anyone more than a min or two at a time is what saved everyone from getting it. 

It's really weird, reading all the stories.  My 19 year old started feeling bad with cold symptoms on 12/29, he went and had a rapid test, negative. He lost taste and smell on Saturday, a few days after test.  He didn't bring up to me until Sunday night when I asked how his food tasted and he told me he hadn't been able to taste food since Saturday.  We had been hanging out all day watching football, even using same tv tray.  On Monday he went to work for some reason and when he filled out his check in form he noted his loss of taste and smell, they sent him home.  He did PCR that day and was positive.  Quarantine time, as added bonus my 74 year old mom lives with me.  He stayed in his room and the bathroom he used was off limits to everyone else, I took him food and stuff.  I was not that great about staying away from him, I would go in his room, have conversation and I never had any issue, neither did my mom.  His taste and smell was back after 5 days, and the original cold only lasted 2 or 3 days.   Makes me wonder if he had lower viral load or something else since neither I or my mom got sick.  We both had really bad colds, like for weeks , and lots of doc visits trying to figure it out, negative for strep and flu,  but that was back in Feb. 2020, so who knows?

Welp, guess it's our turn. 13 month old caught it from another kid at daycare late last week. She started showing symptoms on Sunday and had a few periods over 3 days where she was pretty inconsolable, but she seems to already be back to her normal, bubbly self. Wife started showing symptoms Wednesday; I'm showing them today. Mild so far, but we'll see. Just glad our daughter seems fine. Anyone with kids do any piece of mind testing after they went through it? Chest x-rays to look for lung scarring, etc.? Or nothing to worry about with mild cases?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Welp, guess it's our turn. 13 month old caught it from another kid at daycare late last week. She started showing symptoms on Sunday and had a few periods over 3 days where she was pretty inconsolable, but she seems to already be back to her normal, bubbly self. Wife started showing symptoms Wednesday; I'm showing them today. Mild so far, but we'll see. Just glad our daughter seems fine. Anyone with kids do any piece of mind testing after they went through it? Chest x-rays to look for lung scarring, etc.? Or nothing to worry about with mild cases?

Our 15 year old had a very mild case.  Only thing he did was a quick doctor's visit required by the school to return to sports.  No xrays or ekg.  Just a stethoscope.  He's running miles and miles and lifting weights daily.  So I'm not concerned that there was any vascular damage from his mild case.

• Hook 'Em 1

Had Covid from 10/18 to about 10/31. It was fucking miserable - nonstop fever, aches, cough. There was absolutely no mistaking it & I tested positive twice. Really jealous of the asymptomatic people. I mean, how?

But for the record, I got the swine flu back in 2008 or 2009 whenever that happened and it was worse. My temp hit 105 (or pretty damn close) at one point and I'm pretty sure I hallucinated some.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

Had Covid from 10/18 to about 10/31. It was fucking miserable - nonstop fever, aches, cough. There was absolutely no mistaking it & I tested positive twice. Really jealous of the asymptomatic people. I mean, how?

But for the record, I got the swine flu back in 2008 or 2009 whenever that happened and it was worse. My temp hit 105 (or pretty damn close) at one point and I'm pretty sure I hallucinated some.

One of my kids and I had the swine flu that year.  I don't recall it's being as bad as your case.  One of the PA's at my doc's office had Covid last summer and said the same thing, for people his/my age, it usually is pretty unmistakable. 

On 1/21/2021 at 11:31 AM, CHIEF said:

Well quarantine at the CHIEF household ended today. Wife and son were the only ones that had symptoms. I really think I had a mild case back in February after having a booth at the Dallas Safari Club Convention. Thousands of people from all over the Globe were there, and I was sick after that. I never lost my taste or smell, my wife has. My son lost his sense of smell.

I got a call from my concrete guy last week and he sounded awful, he did some dirt work for me this past weekend, I broke quarantine long enough to go look at his work, and spoke to him from downwind about 20 feet away, and he was obviously winded just operating a skid steer. I told him to go get checked for COVID. He is about 450 lbs., diabetic, and has a colostomy bag. His sister died about a month ago from COVID and we helped bury her. He called me crying from the hospital in Weatherford yesterday, he said he has a severe case. I prayed with him for peace and comfort, asked him if he feels he has his life right with God, and told him I loved him. I don't think he will make it out of the hospital alive.

CHIEF

I hope your buddy pulls through.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope your buddy pulls through.

I was absolutely sure he had one foot in the grave, and the other on a banana peel, but I talked to him yesterday, and he is much better. This has been going on long enough that hospitals are getting a lot better at treating it. The mortality rate seems to be decreasing, even for people with severe comorbidities and the elderly. My frail 87 year old uncle had it, went to the hospital, and was back home in two days.

CHIEF 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Grandioso said:

I got Covid around New Years.  Barely any symptoms other than general fatigue.

I got Swine Flu in 2009.  And it knocked me on my ass.  It hit me while I was hunting.  And I remember laying down and falling asleep in the deer blind for hours.  I could barely crawl out.  It was a bitch.

I’ve got it. Slept about 2 hours last night, shivering in bed all night, body aches, can’t smell or taste. Feels like the flu. 

Just waiting on test results from my test yesterday. 

Sucks man.  Sorry to hear that.  So now looks like 2 confirmed parents passed via kids that got it at daycare.  We're still good so far.   Our kids 2 week quarantine is up Tues.  Neither kid ever showed symptoms and neither have my wife or I.  I feel like kids should pretty much be in the clear from having a symptomatic case.  If they had asymptomatic, I guess my wife and I have a few more days to clear, but like our odds that we missed it this time around.  I'll add we haven't heard of any kids/parents becoming symptomatic from either of the 2 Pre K classes that were impacted.  So maybe the kids that tested positive just weren't spreaders.

Edited by Skipper

I believe I’ve read or heard some things about kids, but not sure if any of it has any scientific merit or if I’m reading guesses and presumptions. Something about young kids not having some sort of receptors yet that the virus likes, but also just the fact that they are smaller with smaller lungs means they have less total virus in their bodies plus they expel less during breathing. 
that last part seems plausible even if not proven. I’d add that their breath plume is well below face level of adults even though they’d be looking up when talking, so that may be another physical factor limiting spread from kids to parents. 

• Like 1