I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I believe I’ve read or heard some things about kids, but not sure if any of it has any scientific merit or if I’m reading guesses and presumptions. Something about young kids not having some sort of receptors yet that the virus likes, but also just the fact that they are smaller with smaller lungs means they have less total virus in their bodies plus they expel less during breathing. 
that last part seems plausible even if not proven. I’d add that their breath plume is well below face level of adults even though they’d be looking up when talking, so that may be another physical factor limiting spread from kids to parents. 

Yes, I've read that as well.  Once there were confirmed cases in both our kids Pre-K classes I read everything I could find.  As expected, nothing definitive, but it seems to be well established young kids don't spread as efficiently and while they don't know for sure why the above was the speculation.  That being said, who knows with the new strains. I know there is some thought the new strains also spread more efficiently in kids

I read something today that I don't think I had previously picked up on:  loss of taste and smell overwhelmingly correlates with milder cases.  I can't remember the exact numbers, but something like 85% of "mild" cases had loss of taste/smell as a symptom, whereas maybe 5% of "severe" cases did so. 

I have no idea what that means, but maybe it is a bit of good news for those who suffer that particular symptom.

• Like 1

Well, my buddy Arthur is doing much better with COVID, his blood oxygen levels are back up into the upper 90's, but he has a worse problem. as mentioned, he has a colostomy bag, but his bowels are obstructed above the bag, so he can't eat. Apparently an enema won't work, or a colonoscopy with a root-rooter tool, I asked about those. So they are talking about going back in and doing another surgery. His intestines barely work at all, and he has a very weak heart. They are giving him about a 50/50 chance of surviving the surgery. He said he feels at peace, he is going to go through with it, and let the chips fall where they may.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 1/24/2021 at 9:24 AM, pearlandhorn said:

I’ve got it. Slept about 2 hours last night, shivering in bed all night, body aches, can’t smell or taste. Feels like the flu. 

Just waiting on test results from my test yesterday. 

Hang in there, Pearlandhorn.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 9:24 AM, pearlandhorn said:

I’ve got it. Slept about 2 hours last night, shivering in bed all night, body aches, can’t smell or taste. Feels like the flu. 

Just waiting on test results from my test yesterday. 

Awful man, sorry. 

12 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

100.7 this morning when I woke up. Feels like I’ve been in a head on collision. Woke up multiple times last night completely drenched in sweat. I stood in the scalding hot shower last night for 20 minutes and was still shivering.

Thankfully I can breathe fine.

Night sweats are the worst. At least you can breathe. Hang in there.

Pearlandhorn, I'll put you on our group prayer list. hope you are doing well. Arthur has his surgery in the morning, so I'll be up early. If he can pull through, I don't know how there can't be a 100% survival rate. He had the worst case I have witnessed, and the worst comorbitities. Hang in there.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Awful man, sorry. 

Night sweats are the worst. At least you can breathe. Hang in there.

Had the worst ones last night. I actually had to move to the guest bed. No fever this AM though. Actually feeling a bit better honestly.

Also, taste and smell completely fucked:

2BDC23A5-39B0-4097-880D-490E33E363E3.gif

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Dad (a month shy of 70, but otherwise in good shape) started feeling lousy Saturday evening on his way back home after they'd stopped by our house for a little bit while in town. Tested positive Monday morning, said he felt beat up the last few days, but mild fever broke while he slept last night and woke up feeling a lot better today. Pretty sure he caught it from a golf buddy he played with last Wednesday. My Mom has since tested negative twice, somehow.

My wife is a worrier so went and got tested this morning and came up negative. I'm 99.9% sure I had it back in August (felt like a moderate cold for 2 days then lost sense of smell/taste about 5 days later, which lasted about 10 days). 

I tested positive back on January 6th. Only really had sinus pressure, a stuffy nose, and a very mild cough. Never any fever. I have had a loss of my sense of smell, but I feel like I've had that for almost a month or longer now. I thought I just had cedar fever or bad allergies, but my soon to be brother-in-laws were at my house for Christmas and one of their families tested positive over the New Year weekend and they all had the shits. So, I feel lucky that I didn't get it like that, but I feel stupid for letting them come over and not putting up more of a fight with my fiancé about not having people over.

Anyone else that lost smell/taste notice that certain things smell different once your senses came back? Onions are one thing I've really noticed have taken on a flavor/smell that doesn't seem right. It's not a bad flavor/odor, just not what I remember. Also now when I get a whiff of natural gas, it's significantly more pungent than I recall. 

19 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Anyone else that lost smell/taste notice that certain things smell different once your senses came back? Onions are one thing I've really noticed have taken on a flavor/smell that doesn't seem right. It's not a bad flavor/odor, just not what I remember. Also now when I get a whiff of natural gas, it's significantly more pungent than I recall. 

Stop eating cabbage.

One of my kids was told they were in close contact with a positive case on Friday and told to stay home for 2 weeks.  He still has no symptoms and got a negative test.  My wife(no pics) on the other had started getting symptoms on Tuesday and tested positive.  She doesn't go out much, but went to HEB with me on Saturday where we saw ~20 people without masks.  Wondering if that is where she got it since my son is negative.

For those of you that have had it, how long did it take between exposure and symptoms?  I know the range is like 2 to 14 days.  We evidently have an outbreak at my office - I haven't been to the office but went fishing with a co-worker last Friday (outside), and he tested positive today.  Hoping he caught it earlier in the week at work, and not last week before I saw him.   It's been 6 days and I don't have any symptoms.  

My sister told us she and her husband have it.  The only real surprise was how it took this long.  They haven't thumbs their noses at the whole thing, but they definitely haven't been overly careful.  The worst was when they went to a large gathering of my BIL's family over Thanksgiving for 3-4 days.

A week ago my nephew and BIL were on a Scout camping trip.  I assume they picked it up there.  Something like 4 dad's from that trip are confirmed to have it.

Niece and nephew don't have any symptoms, and they aren't getting tested.  But they are staying home for 2 weeks.

in my personal bubble it keeps popping up more. 

- Kids have been at school full time pretty much since the start with no issues.  Son was deemed a close contact to a kid in his advisory class that tested positive so he's doing the quarantine thing for 2 weeks.  We did the rapid test on the way home from getting him and he tested negative but i guess those have a suspect record on false negatives, especially when asymptomatic.   A week since contact and no symptoms from him or any of us. 

- Another kid that goes to his school and live in our 'hood had his sister test positive.  The sister does not go to our school but still

- worst was a client of my wife that lives in same area had her father die from Covid.  about 10 days after being put in the hospital.  

Cases are seemingly down in Dallas (2.5K range down to 1.5K range per day) but fuck the vax cannot get stuck in people's arms fast enough.  Before Jan, we did not have so much as even a friend of a friend Covid issues.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

For those of you that have had it, how long did it take between exposure and symptoms?  I know the range is like 2 to 14 days.  We evidently have an outbreak at my office - I haven't been to the office but went fishing with a co-worker last Friday (outside), and he tested positive today.  Hoping he caught it earlier in the week at work, and not last week before I saw him.   It's been 6 days and I don't have any symptoms.  

Simply based on research I did to assess my wife's risk (who tested negative and never developed symptoms after a moderate exposure to a C19+ coworker), it seems that contagiousness starts to really spike to dangerous levels some 48 hours prior to a person showing symptoms.  So, if your coworker didn't start showing symptoms until maybe Monday or later, you're probably in good shape.

HOLIDAY INN DISCLOSURE:  I'm even farther from being an epidemiologist than I am a medical doctor.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Simply based on research I did to assess my wife's risk (who tested negative and never developed symptoms after a moderate exposure to a C19+ coworker), it seems that contagiousness starts to really spike to dangerous levels some 48 hours prior to a person showing symptoms.  So, if your coworker didn't start showing symptoms until maybe Monday or later, you're probably in good shape.

HOLIDAY INN DISCLOSURE:  I'm even farther from being an epidemiologist than I am a medical doctor.

He didn't start showing symptoms until yesterday, he got tested today.  Another co-worker who was with us last Friday tested negative today, so that's a good sign.  I'm guessing my co-worker picked it up in the office Monday, since there were positives there.  At least that's what I'm hoping.  

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

My son was exposed to two teachers who tested positive.  He was exposed to them on 1/8 and 1/11.  They tested positive on the 12th and was sent home.  He started showing symptoms the 14th and tested positive on the 15th.  My wife started showing symptoms on the 20th and tested positive the 22nd.  I started feeling shitty and tested positive on the 23rd.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can’t handle gas, some smells flavors are off, mostly normal though.

Picked wife up from airport, she was sick the next day, I was 2 days after.

Well, my oldest son and his fiancé' have been bat bit.  She is wiped out, very fatigued and feels like crap.  He is asymptomatic and not feeling bad.  The youngest daughter will be tested first thing morning at her job.  She works with special needs children, so they test 3X a week.  Turns out Friday, she had a girl in her care who has tested positive.  She got the news on that sometime late Saturday.  She's worried now, because my wife and her parents were there all day Saturday for a visit.  I stayed home and watched the Rolex 24.  Sunday went by and no noticeable changes in the wife.  We'll see what happens this week. 

Good luck to everyone who may have been exposed.

Wife(no pics) was positive last Wednesday the 27th started showing symptoms the day before. Son was exposed at school over a week ago but started showing symptoms last night. I had a head cold starting Saturday and was scheduled to get tested yesterday with our daughter. We both came back positive, but daughter has no symptoms.

We are now thinking daughter is asymptotic positive and has been for awhile and passed it to all of us in the last week. Only good thing about all of us being positive is that we don’t need to all be separated now and don’t need to wear masks around each other in the house.

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, it finally ripped through my family. We are currently staying with the inlaws after we sold our house and are trying to buy a new one. My MIL got sick, but initially tested negative for the 'rona, but later tested positive. By then it was too late and everybody in the house came down with it. I tested negative, but had body aches and mild fever for a couple of days, so I am thinking there just wasn't enough viral load to trigger a positive on the test. Everybody else in the house tested positive. Ten days or so later and my wife (no pics) is just now getting over it. It's been rough for her, she is just entering her third trimester, so luckily she seems to be on the upswing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Friend of mine from Waco died this past Sunday from COVID-19.  He was overweight. 56 years old.  Sucks.  He was good friends with my brother-in-law... grew up around the corner from one another.  His older brother was a good friend of mine before he died in a plane crash back in 85.  Survived by wife and 3 kids, an older sister and two younger brothers.  I feel worse for the siblings since they have been through this before.

He is the first person relatively close(circle of family and friends) to me that I know that has died from this.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My brother’s wife’s parents both got it at the end of December.  Her dad beat it pretty quickly but her mom went into the ICU and was there for ~4 weeks before passing away.  While this was happening, my niece got it and quickly recovered, but not before giving it to her parents.  My sister-in-law has been really sick for at least 10 days, including the day her mom passed, and she just made it to 2 days fever free.  My brother is on day 7 or 8 and has had high fevers at night, but his breathing is good and his cough isn’t too bad.  I hope he turns the corner soon.  His symptoms have not been not as bad so far.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We finally had our turn and thankfully the whole fam was asymptomatic. A buddy came into town January 21 to stay with us. January 24 he finds out that the guy he rode to town with developed symptoms and tested positive. We go test my buddy that day, negative. January 27 we test him again, positive. We had been taking precautions after finding out about his + ride to town, but not full quarantine. After his positive test, we go to full blown quarantine. On January 28 I test negative. Then on January 31 I test positive. Also on January 31 our nanny starts feeling sick and tests positive.

The worst part for me was taking care of three kids ages 1, 2, and 4 for almost two weeks straight with no help. But our nanny was/is still pretty sick, had every symptom except the bad cough (aches, chills, fever, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, disorientation, etc.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The family is finally getting over it all.  My daughter remained asymptomatic the whole time.  Son had a pretty mild case.  He had headaches for a couple days and was tired for about 5.  After that he was back to his teenage hormonal ways.  My wife(no pics) who started to get symptoms on the 26th worked remotely most of last week while getting fatigued in the evenings.  I was out of commission Monday afternoon through Friday with chill, nausea, fatigue, body aches but no fever.  I couldn't leave the bed without needing to sit down after 20 steps.  Thursday night into Friday morning I woke up like I had jumped into a swimming pool.  It was weird since I never registered a fever.  That seemed to be the end of it mostly for me with the exception of now losing most of my smell and taste.   I am now back to somewhat normal and working this week.

I can taste some things and not others.  It is weird.  I put my nose in a jar of minced garlic and couldn't smell anything.  Had a pickle last night with no flavor what so ever.  Tried having a whiskey last night and all I could taste was water and then it had a metallic bitter taste at the end.  Coffee does the exact same thing.  Hoping this changes soon.

• Hook 'Em 5

Feeling 99% as of today.  Went and got an antibody test at Kroger at 1 today and tested positive for IgG antibodies.  I wanted to get some type of assurance that I've had covid since I didn't get a positive PCR test (wife and son both did). 

Smell is 100% back to normal and taste is about 90% back to normal. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, 1978horn said:

I can taste some things and not others.  It is weird.  I put my nose in a jar of minced garlic and couldn't smell anything.  Had a pickle last night with no flavor what so ever.  Tried having a whiskey last night and all I could taste was water and then it had a metallic bitter taste at the end.  Coffee does the exact same thing.  Hoping this changes soon.

This is me 2.5 weeks later.  Coffee is still hit or miss for me.  Actually, all drinks are like this.  I can taste food 100% but tea, coffee, powerades are a little off.  Glad you're on the mend.

49 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

This is me 2.5 weeks later.  Coffee is still hit or miss for me.  Actually, all drinks are like this.  I can taste food 100% but tea, coffee, powerades are a little off.  Glad you're on the mend.

I hope to God it doesn't last 2.5 weeks.  

I am starting to wonder if my mind is playing tricks on me and i can't actually taste anything, but my brain knows what things should taste like so that is what I register.  Especially since I can't smell most things.

Edited by 1978horn

9 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

What medications or OTC relief did you guys use? Nyquil? Advil? Etc.? 

I took Advil/Tylenol for a day or two, NyQuil 2 nights then just let my body fight it. Ended up caving and buying some mucinex towards the tail end of symptoms to clear my head of congestion.

A few studies have shown that artificially decreasing your body temperature with acetaminophen will prolong the infection. I took that route and it worked out fine for me. YMMV though.

10 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

What medications or OTC relief did you guys use? Nyquil? Advil? Etc.? 

I used Advil for body aches and chills since I didn't have much of a fever.  Then took lots of Vitamins (C, D and Zinc) and a supplement that the local Pharmacy has called D-Hist.  I also took Melatonin to help me sleep at night since the nighttime seemed worse for me.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:44 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Four of us have had it since New Years.  Wife and her sister had a funeral in East Texas and drove together.  It was outdoors.  But her sister had picked it up from someone around Christmas.  So my wife got it since they rode together for 8 hours roundtrip.  And then I got it along with kids.

Has been no big deal, fortunately.  Very mild symptoms that ended days ago. Be glad to have the antibodies and glad my kids got it so none of us have to worry much.  Should buy enough time to get the vaccine.

We have been isolated since New Years.  Going to end that next weekend just to be safe so we don't get anyone else sick.  But I doubt we can transmit at this point given the CDC guidelines.

i dont like your political beliefs but this is good news. all the best to your health. i prefer beating your dumbass political opinions in the future on this site.