I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF by swerk 

Sorry. I don't get to surf Surly daily at work the way most do here.

It was only back one page. 

(edit. And if she IS still there....Well, question answered)

Yeah, I guess this thread kind of died. I just remembered when he posted it so I purposely looked at the date stamp again when you quoted him.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone else is like me, you’ve now been informed that people all around you are positive. It used to be a few links removed before I knew positive people. Now I know several directly. This thing is getting out of control.

And while death isn’t a huge risk right now, there’s very little data on long term damage, and the stories I’m hearing are frightening.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Buddy tested positive last week. Started feeling really like a bad flu Thursday. Today said when moving at all even getting out of bed he would start breathing really hard like he was running. Convinced him to call his doctor and now he is in the hospital on oxygen. 33 years old and he is getting his ass kicked by this. Stay safe everyone

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Buddy tested positive last week. Started feeling really like a bad flu Thursday. Today said when moving at all even getting out of bed he would start breathing really hard like he was running. Convinced him to call his doctor and now he is in the hospital on oxygen. 33 years old and he is getting his ass kicked by this. Stay safe everyone

You might be the reason he survives.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Week 2 is when it really hits hard.  Glad he took your advice and got checked out.  It's no joke.  Week one was "ah, this isn't that bad. . ." then boom - death warmed over.

I'm really worried that Christmastime will feature overflowing hospitals and morgues.  Staying isolated for Thanksgiving is just against American DNA.

It's chilling that a year ago Covid wasn't on ANYONE'S radar.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Couldn't believe it took feeling that shitty to even consider it. Fuck that

I wonder how many people that should be hospitalized aren’t going, from stubbornness or financial considerations or other reasons. 

and how many of them will die at home, or recover but with long term difficulties that could have been avoided with treatment. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Checking in. Woke up with a runny nose last Tuesday. Scheduled a test for Friday and I'll have my results Wed-Fri of this week.

It's all about how the virus picks your immunity lock, and I'm lucky. Runny nose and fatigue for 4 days. Never missed a cardio workout. Can anyone who's had it donate antibodies? How does that work?
My test was positive. Did a 14 day quarantine and I'm back out in the world. Put in to donate convalescent plasma. No reply back yet.

Doc had my daughter get back-to-back tests, both negative.  Wife's parents were in quarantine at the old folk home because Nana had a cough, we made them go get tested (which means my wife drove them), and they're both negative.  

I should feel grateful but crimony this thing is a headwind.  Onward.

15 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder how many people that should be hospitalized aren’t going, from stubbornness or financial considerations or other reasons. 

and how many of them will die at home, or recover but with long term difficulties that could have been avoided with treatment. 

[raises hand]

Most of my life I've been a "ride it out at home" type of guy. Pretty sure I'd be dead already if I were still single and just ignoring stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

Back in late September, I went to SPI with my sister who lives here. We dropped off my little Chihuahua with my eldest sister who lives in McAllen so her granddaughter who loves him could play with him. She is a child of divorce so she has two households. Her father lives with his parents and the mother would not give up her Mexican bingo with neighbors. My niece tried to urge her ex to do something about it but his mother was stubbornly insisting it was okay.

Sure enough, they got Covid and my grandniece brought it into my sister's house. They didn't find out she was sick until after I dropped the dog off and they tested but didn't get the results until after we were back in Austin. They were all positive, my sister, her husband and my niece. My sister was just about to get surgery, an ablation for an abnormal heart beat but they had to postpone it. The Covid messed with her and she was having weird episodes of zoning out. I guess it was some sort of seizure. Luckily, they were able to stabilize her with medication until she could have the surgery. She was in the hospital about 5 days and then it took 3 weeks for her to test negative.  My Austin sister and I tested negative but that was a close call. 

The other grandmother has been on a ventilator for weeks and they are going to be taking her off on Friday. She has a 1% chance of breathing on her own. Her lungs are so damaged and so my grandniece will lose her grandmother because she insisted on continuing her life as though the world was normal. So sad. I'm just glad my sister wasn't lost too. 

Parliament, glad to hear you are doing better. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Sorry to read that story. Hope everyone gets better.
the problem with letting your guard down is that it only takes one person in a group to get everyone sick.
"You only got to f*** up once. Be a little slow, be a little late. Just once. And how you ain’t gonna never be slow, never be late? You can’t plan for no sh*t like this, man. It’s life."

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

Week 2 is when it really hits hard.  Glad he took your advice and got checked out.  It's no joke.  Week one was "ah, this isn't that bad. . ." then boom - death warmed over.
I'm really worried that Christmastime will feature overflowing hospitals and morgues.  Staying isolated for Thanksgiving is just against American DNA.
It's chilling that a year ago Covid wasn't on ANYONE'S radar.
I mean damn, I went to Colombia in February and everything was normal. We rode in buses, ate at restaurants, etc. Even in the Miami airport on the way home, I asked a few of the people who happened to have connecting flights who would be interested in coming back next year. I can't even believe Covid was only a few weeks away and it was hardly a blip on our radar

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

I got it a couple weeks ago. Was just really tired and achy for the first week. Then my pulse ox machine read 84 one morning. Emailed my doctor and he said to get your ass to the ER. Turns out I had pneumonia too. CT Scan came back good (no blood clots or scarring) but it kicked my ass for a while. The steroids the doctor game me kicked some serious ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I got it a couple weeks ago. Was just really tired and achy for the first week. Then my pulse ox machine read 84 one morning. Emailed my doctor and he said to get your ass to the ER. Turns out I had pneumonia too. CT Scan came back good (no blood clots or scarring) but it kicked my ass for a while. The steroids the doctor game me kicked some serious ass. 
Did you have pneumonia with no cough? I didn't realize that was a thing.

22 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
33 minutes ago, ocugolf said:

Read more  

Did you have pneumonia with no cough? I didn't realize that was a thing.

I had a slight dry cough, but very minimal. More like clearing my throat than a cough. Still don’t fully have my sense of taste back.

Glad to have you back.

Man, I’m fucking infuriated.  I have a 22 year old employee that thinks this whole pandemic is a joke along with her country bumpkin family.  I have a startup business and I’ve been very clear to her that she needs to take every precaution outside of work as both my in laws and parents are in their 60s and have had medical issues.  Mother in law has had cancer before.  

This dumb bitch has been partying every weekend from talks with my other staff members.  She went to a 100 person wedding last weekend in an indoor venue.  She showed the other girl’s at my office pictures and videos of the wedding reception where not a single person was wearing a mask.  How can a venue allow this???  This is so irresponsible.
Well guess who had to be send home yesterday for running a 101.5 fever with a cough and sore throat.  Today my wife and I woke up feeling completely congested and I feel tired as fuck.  My mom is staying with us bc she had to evacuate Beaumont due to the hurricane.  Now I need to spend money to put her up in a hotel for a week until the storm passes and need to shutdown my entire office for 2 weeks and reschedule every patient.  Some probably won’t come back to our office as they will be able to figure out why we are closing and not want to risk themselves... rightfully so!
I want to fucking fire her for causing this big headache for me...

Did you fire her yet?
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Speedro said:

im about 5 weeks from my first symptoms. day 1-7 was typical cold symptoms, day 8 was intense. The fever really amped up so i called my dr and he told me to get to the er stat. i got doses of remdesivir, dexasomething among other meds. was in about 4 nights and then released. have had chest congestion up until currently. had green mucus a week ago, so they gave me a zpak and ceftin. Almost through the meds. still get fairly winded after exertion, but doing alot better.

Dexamethazone. Old school steroid.

im about 5 weeks from my first symptoms. day 1-7 was typical cold symptoms, day 8 was intense. The fever really amped up so i called my dr and he told me to get to the er stat. i got doses of remdesivir, dexasomething among other meds. was in about 4 nights and then released. have had chest congestion up until currently. had green mucus a week ago, so they gave me a zpak and ceftin. Almost through the meds. still get fairly winded after exertion, but doing alot better.
Any coughing up yellow stuff and sneezing?

15 hours ago, BradInATX said:
On 11/27/2020 at 7:29 PM, Speedro said:

Any coughing up yellow stuff and sneezing?

i've had that lately, that was when they prescribed me the last set of antibiotics. cleared it up. but still dealing with lingering congestion and sniffles. 

So maybe someone can help me out with this.

An employee just tested positive on Friday. My FIL was working in close proximity to him up until the Wednesday before. FIL didn’t use a mask and employee was not either because they were in the office. 

FIL “is too busy” to get a COVID test and is at a country club at the moment. 

I have told him he must self isolate for at least 2 weeks, wear a mask at home and stay in a separate room from my MIL (who is recovering from a light case of pneumonia) and to go get tested today ASAP. 

Am I missing anything? Also, if he tests negative and get results tomorrow, he still has to do all of the quarantine procedures, correct?

• Hook 'Em 1

The last thing I read from CDC said that it’s unlikely for a person to develop it after an accurate negative test. 

I think it was in this

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cdc-finalizing-recommendation-to-shorten-covid-19-quarantines-11606247975?st=hhkpibspj6dw45i&reflink=article_copyURL_share

yep

If a test comes back negative, he added, “then their probability of going on and developing an infection after that is pretty low.”

Edited by Pato del Muerto

So maybe someone can help me out with this.
An employee just tested positive on Friday. My FIL was working in close proximity to him up until the Wednesday before. FIL didn’t use a mask and employee was not either because they were in the office. 
FIL “is too busy” to get a COVID test and is at a country club at the moment. 
I have told him he must self isolate for at least 2 weeks, wear a mask at home and stay in a separate room from my MIL (who is recovering from a light case of pneumonia) and to go get tested today ASAP. 
Am I missing anything? Also, if he tests negative and get results tomorrow, he still has to do all of the quarantine procedures, correct?

Close contact means a quarantine of 10 days minimum... we’ve had a few employees who were definition of close contacts be gone for 10-14 days and also test negative twice before returning. Also if he tests today or tomorrow and is negative, he could still test positive in 5-6-7 days on a retest.

If he’s too busy to get a covid test and is currently golfing, he’s a self absorbed idiot and you’re probably not gonna change him at this age in life. Hopefully your MIL is smarter than he is.
  • Hook 'Em 3

The last thing I read from CDC said that it’s unlikely for a person to develop it after an accurate negative test. 

I think it was in this
https://www.wsj.com/articles/cdc-finalizing-recommendation-to-shorten-covid-19-quarantines-11606247975?st=hhkpibspj6dw45i&reflink=article_copyURL_share

yep
If a test comes back negative, he added, “then their probability of going on and developing an infection after that is pretty low.”

What does the CDC say about when you should get tested? If I was exposed on say a Monday, would getting tested Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday produce less accurate test result than waiting for the weekend?

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What does the CDC say about when you should get tested? If I was exposed on say a Monday, would getting tested Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday produce less accurate test result than waiting for the weekend?

Dude, CDC is too busy trying to fire Herman, hire Urban, and get the vaccines out ASAP. Don’t tweet this at him!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So I'm on deck for a COVID test later this afternoon. 

Sometime around Monday afternoon I felt depleted.  All day on Tuesday I felt extreme fatigue, and thought I just needed a good night's sleep.  I took some melatonin on Tuesday night, got a great night's sleep, my alarm woke me at 6am for a morning workout, and about two sips into my pre-workout coffee my body told me, "you need to go back to sleep."  I went to bed and slept for another hour and a half, and was fatigued for all of yesterday.  No fever (highest temperature I recorded was just over 99), no extreme body aches, no loss of smell or taste, but this fatigue is so unlike me.  I had enough energy to make a quick HEB run for some essential groceries yesterday around lunch time (in hindsight, probably not responsible of me to venture out), and when I got back I felt like I ran three miles.  I had a couple work calls yesterday afternoon and felt fine and engaged during them, but when I hung up I went back to being really tired.    

A friend thought it might be cedar setting in, but like every cedar season, I've been on my trusted antihistamine for the past few months, I've had no itchy eyes or significant post-nasal drainage, and my allergies have never made me feel like this.  I haven't had my flu shot yet, but when I've had the flu in the past, it's always started off the bat with a wicked fever and terrible body aches.  My dad told me one of his friends tested positive, and like me, was just really fatigued for several days with no other major symptoms. 

Nobody else with whom I've been in contact over the past two weeks has felt bad or reported any COVID-like symptoms, but my doctor thought it was best to get a test to be sure.  I'm getting the test that doesn't have the immediate results, but will take about half a day.  We'll see.  But this sucks.   

24 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Rapid test came back negative.  Awaiting the PCR results.

I'm actually feeling better today, so maybe I just had some other random virus that turned me into a pussy for three days.

I’ve had two “others” during the pandemic.  Negative tests both times.  

The mind definitely fucks with you.  Every sniff or cough was way more concerning  than the hundreds of other times I’ve had some minor sickness in my life.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I’ve had two “others” during the pandemic.  Negative tests both times.  

The mind definitely fucks with you.  Every sniff or cough was way more concerning  than the hundreds of other times I’ve had some minor sickness in my life.  

We have noticed that after any visit inside, which are very few and far between, we develop a throat tickle for an hour or so until we forget about it. 

I've got it.  Positive test.  My wife gave it to me.  She probably got it from visiting a nursing home.  She had extreme fatigue, no appetite, and some intestinal issues but no breathing problems and fever only on the 2nd day of symptoms.  She's fine now after 6 pretty rough days.  My kids all tested negative but I came back positive even though we did a pretty good job of quarantining her I thought.

Minor symptoms for me so far.  Mild cough, some fatigue but nothing like her, and a low grade fever yesterday.  I'm asthmatic so my doc is trying to get me approved for monoclonal antibodies.  I'm isolating from the kids but all in all I don't feel too bad yet.  I think I'm early in the process but I don't usually get too sick even when I get sick so I'm hoping my immune system will be up the task.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

My grandmother went to the hospital on Thursday for low O2. She'd just started chemo three weeks ago for the leukemia she's had off-and-on for at least the last 25 years, so they figured that was the cause. By Friday, she tested positive. Yesterday she asked to be taken off meds and O2. Now we wait for the inevitable.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Apep said:

My grandmother went to the hospital on Thursday for low O2. She'd just started chemo three weeks ago for the leukemia she's had off-and-on for at least the last 25 years, so they figured that was the cause. By Friday, she tested positive. Yesterday she asked to be taken off meds and O2. Now we wait for the inevitable.

Oh shit, I'm so sorry.  

• Hook 'Em 2