New UT Basketball Arena

Pasken

On 6/20/2019 at 12:25 PM, Jhawk said:

What was it like at FEC from 2000-2004?  Those were good years for UT without having a huge draw like KD.  Were the student sections filled?

One thing I've noticed going back to Allen Fieldhouse over the years is that it doesn't seem near as loud as it used to.  Then again, I'm not sitting in the student section anymore.

I was a freshman in 1985, season ticket holder since 93.  I can tell you that 2002-2008 was the heyday of the student section..::

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 11:25 AM, Jhawk said:

What was it like at FEC from 2000-2004?  Those were good years for UT without having a huge draw like KD.  Were the student sections filled?

One thing I've noticed going back to Allen Fieldhouse over the years is that it doesn't seem near as loud as it used to.  Then again, I'm not sitting in the student section anymore.

The students were great back then, and we haven't had better since then.

On 7/29/2019 at 5:41 PM, Ignatius said:

I was a freshman in 1985, season ticket holder since 93.  I can tell you that 2002-2008 was the heyday of the student section..::

The student section has generally been good when the team is good. Weeknight attendance by non students can be iffy even with a good team, but it is actually an annoyance to get to the arena from anywhere north or south for those games, and that problem is getting worse not better.

Those were the years I was on campus. The student section was filled for every big game and for most conference games. You'd have to Line up hours early to be guaranteed entry. The difference in atmosphere between a Kansas or ou game and Louisiana Lafayette was striking. Unfortunately lately I've seen more ULaLa type atmospheres than atm/ku/ou.

Does the forty acres bus route still run? That'll get you reasonably close to the new stadium. I lived in West campus for two years and the thought of walking to FEC was not pleasant. Crossing MLK is a pretty significant psychological barrier when it comes to weighing motivation against convenience as a college kid.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2019 at 2:01 PM, gsoda3 said:

Does the forty acres bus route still run? That'll get you reasonably close to the new stadium. I lived in West campus for two years and the thought of walking to FEC was not pleasant. Crossing MLK is a pretty significant psychological barrier when it comes to weighing motivation against convenience as a college kid.

You're kidding us, right?

On 7/29/2019 at 5:41 PM, Ignatius said:

Ditto - 2000-03 was my era, and I had to wait hours in line (Barnes would frequently bring pizzas for the students).  Having a great team helped...

13 hours ago, XOVERX said:

You're kidding us, right?

nope.  lazy is as lazy does.  for big games like ou, atm, kansas, sure we went.   but for toss ups like tech or nebraska the walk was a factor especially considering what else you could be doing.  against a nonD1 school?  forget it.  

• 2 weeks later...

Some "Big Cigar" stuff on the arena and practice facility from IT:

IT: Amazing. Think of the beeramid you could build with that. Speaking of which, what's the latest on the big capital build projects?

BC: The SEZ will be completed for the 2021 season. That's been a big selling point with recruits. The basketball arena build will really kick off in December but they've already laid utility work. It will be completed by Spring 2022 for a midseason switch.

IT: The Empire State building was built in 400 days. Just some random trivia.

BC: Thanks. There's a problem with the practice facility. The current one is tied into the FEC on all utilities and the FEC is going to be demolished as soon as we leave. The idea was to leave the practice facility until a later date.

IT: The Pentagon was built in 16 months in the middle of a worldwide war.

BC: It can't be done without 25-30 million in new utility work to separate it from the FEC. They're currently meeting with all entities to figure out where and how the new facility will coincide with the new arena. It's a problem.

On 9/27/2019 at 10:45 AM, Machinator said:

Some "Big Cigar" stuff on the arena and practice facility from IT:

Hide contents

IT: Amazing. Think of the beeramid you could build with that. Speaking of which, what's the latest on the big capital build projects?

BC: The SEZ will be completed for the 2021 season. That's been a big selling point with recruits. The basketball arena build will really kick off in December but they've already laid utility work. It will be completed by Spring 2022 for a midseason switch.

IT: The Empire State building was built in 400 days. Just some random trivia.

BC: Thanks. There's a problem with the practice facility. The current one is tied into the FEC on all utilities and the FEC is going to be demolished as soon as we leave. The idea was to leave the practice facility until a later date.

IT: The Pentagon was built in 16 months in the middle of a worldwide war.

BC: It can't be done without 25-30 million in new utility work to separate it from the FEC. They're currently meeting with all entities to figure out where and how the new facility will coincide with the new arena. It's a problem.

The facility plan would put a new basketball practice facility in parking lot 37 next to the LBJ library and across Clyde Littlefield from the Track stadium. Very easy project to build but I'm guessing they aren't ready to spend the money. 

Edited by Pasken

Parking sounds like it's going to be an absolute delight.  As will egress, driving, movement, logistics, right of way, transportation, and just generally doing anything besides standing still.  

I'm gonna need one of those fancy permits that lets you be truly free like Southwest Airlines intended.  

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

Parking sounds like it's going to be an absolute delight.  As will egress, driving, movement, logistics, right of way, transportation, and just generally doing anything besides standing still.  

I'm gonna need one of those fancy permits that lets you be truly free like Southwest Airlines intended.  

Hopefully they have some designated loading on/off points on the 35 frontage rd for ride shares and buses. You'll have to nascar across 3 lanes of frontage rd to get to the arena from the 35 exit. That, or go through the Manor/Littlefield light. Too bad there is no NB to SB U-Turn there.

Spring of 2022, as a "midseason switch"...that assumes we are playing into April then?  Which of course means this plan is bullshit.  Given our recent success of extraordinary magnitude, our program ain't sniffing anything past the Spring Equinox for another 3-4 years.  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Spring of 2022, as a "midseason switch"...that assumes we are playing into April then?  Which of course means this plan is bullshit.  Given our recent success of extraordinary magnitude, our program ain't sniffing anything past the Spring Equinox for another 3-4 years.  

You can play into April if you're in the NIT!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lobo said:

even if you're using spring colloquially and really mean "post-Super Bowl Sunday", I just don't believe we'd move into the new arena in the middle of a season. Hell, what if Fucking Smart is still the coach and we're 10-9, you really want to dedicate the new basketball arena in front of 4,000 fans? 

Besides, it's a construction project, it seems pretty risky that construction would slip by a few weeks over the life of the project. If that happens, a 2/15 date becomes 3/5 or 3/10 and boom, you've missed the regular season. It makes no sense to aim for a small window of opportunity mid-stream. Just wait til fucking 22-23 to start playing there. 

How do you even logistically handle a midseason switch with season tickets, Big 12 visitor tickets, etc.? 

That's dumb.  That's a Patterson-level move, not a CDC move.  No way we switch in the middle of a season. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...