New UT Basketball Arena

Pasken

21 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Obviously, it should be named Moody Center but it also needs to be named Denton Cooley Fieldhouse, Denton Cooley Court or something appropriate for the greatest Longhorn hoopster in our history.

I’m sure they’ll transition the Cooley name to the new pavilion. Still wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Jody Conrad Court at Moody Center.  

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Looks like a larger Gregory Gym. I’m about that 

Yeah it looks like Gregory. But I'm not sure which photo is more accurate. They don't look the same. One looks like Gregory, the other looks like FEC. 

stadium.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

Edited by Bruh Man

No one wants a Gregory atmosphere more than I do but that first photo is horrible. The lower level of the second photo works but I can't tell how big the upper deck is. I like the sloop of the lower level of the second photo which is extremely important to have that crowd on top of you feeling. The windows in the first photo don't work.

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Shouldn’t $130mm buy you consistent renderings?   

What's not consistent about what they put out yesterday? If you are asking why don't the renderings of yesterday look like the renderings of 6 months ago then that's a very stupid question. 

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They don’t look like the ones on display in the athletics department.  

Because the ones on display in the athletics department were put up in the past. This is the present. Do you need a lesson of how time works? I'm sure they'll update the ones on display unless it costs a lot. I don't know how big the display is you are referring to. Rendering revision is a very normal part of the development process.

Edited by Pasken

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Doesn’t SMU play at Moody Coliseum? Not confusing at all 

I don't think it's going to confuse anyone. It will probably be really confusing when you have concerts at both Moody Theater in downtown Austin and this Moody Center at UT.

Edited by Pasken

13 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Because the ones on display in the athletics department were put up in the past. This is the present. Do you need a lesson of how time works? I'm sure they'll update the ones on display unless it costs a lot. I don't know how big the display is you are referring to. Rendering revision is a very normal part of the development process.

Thank you for explaining how time and real estate work.  The renderings up in the NEZ offices that were used during a discussion about the Moody donation don’t match up with those two posted above.  Sorry I noticed that.  My bad.  I’m sorry your insight wasn’t called upon during this entire process.  

35 minutes ago, Pasken said:

What's not consistent about what they put out yesterday? If you are asking why don't the renderings of yesterday look like the renderings of 6 months ago then that's a very stupid question. 

Umm if the renderings are going to change that much then don't put out the initial rendering. That's a pretty big change to the interior.

8 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Yeah it looks like Gregory. But I'm not sure which photo is more accurate. They don't look the same. One looks like Gregory, the other looks like FEC. 

stadium.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

The most recent rendering is always the most accurate. I'm willing to bet that the large gray panel in the upper left is a retractable cover over the upper deck seats that they'll open for concerts. 

The feedback from the first round of renderings was that it looked too big and people wanted something more intimate so that is the direction they went with.   It also looks like they used a much longer FOV so the arena doesn't feel cavernous. 

What's more is these seem to show opposite sides of the arena. The plan all the way back to 2016 was to not do an upper deck on one end which is what we see in the newer rendering. See below:

Screen-Shot-2019-11-10-at-8-49-59-PM.jpg

at this point I wish UT would do what UT does best and that is tear down somewhat functional sports facilities to build newer ones

and start by just knocking the entire track facility down, move it where Disch Falk and the Softball fields are, move those over onto the main campus where they belong and then work the arena and the baseball and softball facilities all in together

it is not like Disch Falk and the Softball facility are top notch and it was a massive mistake putting the track where it is now especially when it was probably known at the time that the Drum would one day need to be replaced and not replaced at the same location

also I thought they had a plan to put some turd polish on that shitty looking cooling station for the medical school complex instead of letting it look like an oil field tank farm and compressor station

I realize what I am dreaming of for the track and baseball and softball will never happen, but fuck that track is in the shittiest spot ever

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I like the look of the outside.  Would absolutely do my banking there.

That’s good because branch banking and the Havoc defense both have the same fate in 2021

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So DFF isn’t top notch?  That’s the position being taken above?

DFF sucks and these stupid jagoffs at Texas should have known 20 years ago we'd have to build a basketball facility where Myers is now.  Obviously! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

DFF sucks and these stupid jagoffs at Texas should have known 20 years ago we'd have to build a basketball facility where Myers is now.  Obviously! 

That would actually be illegal. There is a more restrictive capital view corridor that hits the west end of the track stadium that completely misses where they are building the new arena. There is still a CVC at the new arena site but it's more than 3 times higher than the track stadium. Even with that, the new arena will only be a few feet lower than than the CVC despite being partially underground. 

Screen-Shot-2019-11-11-at-11-29-40-AM.jp
Screen-Shot-2019-11-11-at-11-29-04-AM.jp

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

at this point I wish UT would do what UT does best and that is tear down somewhat functional sports facilities to build newer ones

and start by just knocking the entire track facility down, move it where Disch Falk and the Softball fields are, move those over onto the main campus where they belong and then work the arena and the baseball and softball facilities all in together

it is not like Disch Falk and the Softball facility are top notch and it was a massive mistake putting the track where it is now especially when it was probably known at the time that the Drum would one day need to be replaced and not replaced at the same location

also I thought they had a plan to put some turd polish on that shitty looking cooling station for the medical school complex instead of letting it look like an oil field tank farm and compressor station

I realize what I am dreaming of for the track and baseball and softball will never happen, but fuck that track is in the shittiest spot ever

tenor.gif?itemid=8433451

52 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The entire thing should be underground. Then we build the practice facility on top of that (which would also be underground). Then the new baseball stadium goes on top of that.

If you put the ice hockey rink below all of that, it should be cool enough that far underground to easily keep a nice sheet of ice year round.