New UT Basketball Arena

Pasken

This is really gonna fuck with my parking situation.  ^I would think it would have to remain open since the access road has been reduced by one land and still offers free curb parking for students/visitors.  

On 11/21/2019 at 8:08 AM, Js1 said:

Oh no, it might fuck up your parking situation.  Cancel everything. 

It was a fucking joke you idiot, nobody has a permanent parking space on Red River---it's street parking; it's impossible you've been on our camps and don't know that you fucking child.  Obviously parking for alumni is last on the list of priorities.  I park a half mile from everything like everybody else.  It does suck though for a September or May meeting when you show up all sweaty.  But the segue remains true, the parking on the IH-35 access road I think is going and the lane change there as it approaches MLK is gonna force the issue that Red River have at least 1 lane each way of "thru" traffic.  Particularly as the medical/innovation district expands.  

Edited by Lobo

Who are the Ad Ribbons that came up with this one?  

also-groundbreaking is on 3 December at 4:00pm.  Is it cruel to invite the coach who won't be here when the arena is opened to make the ceremonious dirt movement?  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Who are the Ad Ribbons that came up with this one?  

also-groundbreaking is on 3 December at 4:00pm.  Is it cruel to invite the coach who won't be here when the arena is opened to make the ceremonious dirt movement?  

Having Shaka watch his employers did a hole in the ground is greatly symbolic of his future here if nothing turns around fast. 

and why the fuck does Williams only play every other game! 

spacer.png

^^^ the new court is an absolute MASTERPIECE!  perfectly designed... gorgeous!  however, i do indeed wish that the outlying edges of the ceiling weren't so dull and grey.  there is a need for a bit more video boards to liven the place up a bit.  center hung video board is really high-tech design.  just wish it was a bit larger like most newer arenas.  all in all, the new MOODY CENTER is going to become the new ICON of the BIG XII.

• Like 3

Low ceiling probably means NIT, again.

So are those grey things up top, the deals that retract and reveal an upper deck for big games or do they retract and reveal the new Tesla pickup truck?   

On 11/26/2019 at 12:42 PM, Bruh Man said:

Yup. This is how it looks with the additional seating. 

The cool thing is that is exactly what CDC was spitballing because he didn't just want to cover the seats and make it obvious they were there and not being used. He said they would have to figure out how to get the garage doors designed and it looks like they did. CDC is legit.

• Like 1

That's a pretty neat solution for making it smaller for games and larger for other events. In GIA, they cover the upper deck with a black curtain for most women's basketball games and most wrestling matches, and on TV you really can't tell they are there. Even in person, it's not obvious if you aren't familiar with the place. I hope that our men's basketball resurgence can fill 13,000 seats regularly, but it's a different game now than it was 15 years ago when sellouts were regular. TV technology is better, and as a grownup with kids, I now see how hard it is to make those mid-week games when you live an hour away. 

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

That's a pretty neat solution for making it smaller for games and larger for other events. In GIA, they cover the upper deck with a black curtain for most women's basketball games and most wrestling matches, and on TV you really can't tell they are there. Even in person, it's not obvious if you aren't familiar with the place. I hope that our men's basketball resurgence can fill 13,000 seats regularly, but it's a different game now than it was 15 years ago when sellouts were regular. TV technology is better, and as a grownup with kids, I now see how hard it is to make those mid-week games when you live an hour away. 

I think a key would be for the material on the retractable doors to reflect sound back down so game atmosphere is loud. Curtains usually absorb sound.

I requested the free tickets to the Moody Center ground breaking and UAB basketball game for Tuesday (3 Dec).   They are supposed to send the tickets by email - has anyone received them yet? 

I haven't.

https://texassports.com/news/2019/11/21/mens-basketball-moody-center-groundbreaking-ceremony-and-concert-set-for-december-3.aspx

1 hour ago, Shaggybevo said:

I requested the free tickets to the Moody Center ground breaking and UAB basketball game for Tuesday (3 Dec).   They are supposed to send the tickets by email - has anyone received them yet? 

I haven't.

https://texassports.com/news/2019/11/21/mens-basketball-moody-center-groundbreaking-ceremony-and-concert-set-for-december-3.aspx

Same. No tickets yet.

7 hours ago, Pasken said:

The cool thing is that is exactly what CDC was spitballing because he didn't just want to cover the seats and make it obvious they were there and not being used. He said they would have to figure out how to get the garage doors designed and it looks like they did. CDC is legit.

I hope there's some attention to detail to this aspect of the new arena. The seats need to be completely hidden when not in use otherwise it will look tacky. Also whatever panels they use to cover up those seats need to be designed to reflect maximum sound back down to the court. I already like what I'm seeing with the low roof, they need to continue to design every other aspect of the arena to maximize noise. An electric atmosphere will encourage more fans to come to the game and be a part of it. 

59 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I hope there's some attention to detail to this aspect of the new arena. The seats need to be completely hidden when not in use otherwise it will look tacky. Also whatever panels they use to cover up those seats need to be designed to reflect maximum sound back down to the court. I already like what I'm seeing with the low roof, they need to continue to design every other aspect of the arena to maximize noise. An electric atmosphere will encourage more fans to come to the game and be a part of it. 

They seem pretty hidden to me.

EJ7s_ScWsAAWAXP?format=jpg&name=4096x409

The grey doors slide back to reveal drunken white people in Vineyard Bay outfits looking at the court but not understanding anything besides pledge brothers and golf sticks?  

Edited by Lobo

I would be on my iPad too, if I felt Popeye's eldest son behind me.  Who do they get to render people...the kid looks like he's smuggling nunchucks under there.  I would like the instagram account name of that woman in the front row though with the nice smile.