New UT Basketball Arena

Pasken

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From Inside Texas: 

Honestly I don't even know what's public at this point, but what I've heard is the new basketball arena will be in the two parking lots behind the track and field complex. It will hold 10,000 people for games but have retractable seating to expand to 16,000 for events and concerts.

It sounds like this is the best available result. It's still on campus, it's intimate for games, and it will hold enough for concerts and other events.

They are about to announce the special events company (SEC) that will co-run/build the arena with Texas. They want to hold more concerts in Austin, so I'm sure the designers of the arena will have that in mind as far as seating goes. Also, no determination has been made on where it will be located, as the partnered SEC may not want it on campus. Rumor is that it might be down on the Colorado River. At least this what CDC said yesterday at a luncheon in the D/FW area.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Where on the River?  the statesman site is no longer an option.  Brackenridge Tract won't be available in time to break ground.  So East Side?  Lakeshore Blvd is all built out already.  East Chavez maybe?  What a wonderful shitshow that'll be for egress.  RIght up there with that bright idea to put an MLS franchise on Toomey Road along Town Lake.  Yeah one lane road behind the Scholtsky's should about cover 10,000 cars  

With the passing of every sports season, it becomes more and more painfully obvious that Myers Stadium was moronically placed.  It has forced the footprint of Dell Medical School, thousands of parking spaces, it will effect the construction staging of the South End Zone project, it has forced UT to look at that tiny parking lot footprint south of it for a new hoops Arena that will have to forsake all kinds of potential commercial activity.  It has fucked up tailgating, it's fucked with the LBJ school, and the list goes on and on.  Other than Texas Relays weekend, that T&F/soccer (who is kicking ass this year BTW) stadium does not need to be on such prime real estate.  The campus is growing to the East at a fast pace and there's three acres just sitting there being used to such a minimal benefit to so few people.  Even the Myers and Mithoffs don't mind if it's moved.  But nope, Conradt and Plonsky wanted it there so women's soccer and T&F was held up as high as football.  And so many other people and projects have had to pay a price for that.  IMagine the possibilities for both basketball, academics, and the med school if that tract was suddenly available.  But nope, Plonsky still thinks one day the NCAA will let us host the championships for Track & Field despite them telling us until they're blue in the face, our climate in late June is not gonna fucking host an outdoor track meet.  

37 minutes ago, Goodman said:

They should give Gregory a bit of a remodel and add a few seats and have that be our home court. We can play a few games at a fancy dt building but Gregory is a great venue.

I would love to see about 10k seats at Gregory. The problem is that its an old building and you would need to do a big remodel. For example, our locker rooms are now offices and because the structure is old, I am not sure it would work. They can tear it down and build a similar structure but not until I am dead and buried.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 2:15 PM, HtownHorn said:

They are about to announce the special events company (SEC) that will co-run/build the arena with Texas. They want to hold more concerts in Austin, so I'm sure the designers of the arena will have that in mind as far as seating goes. Also, no determination has been made on where it will be located, as the partnered SEC may not want it on campus. Rumor is that it might be down on the Colorado River. At least this what CDC said yesterday at a luncheon in the D/FW area.

So Derka, why did you neg this?

But nope, Plonsky still thinks one day the NCAA will let us host the championships for Track & Field despite them telling us until they're blue in the face, our climate in late June is not gonna fucking host an outdoor track meet.  

Uh, we hosted it in ‘04 and will again in ‘19 & ‘20.

We also have hosted the West Regional Qualifying a half dozen times.

49 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So Derka, why did you neg this?

the same reason you neg rep schmitty. apparently posting that sam ehlinger was "good but not great, was not on the list of reasons we lost, and played well enough for us to win" is *still* deemed so overly critical of sam that i needed to be neg repped for it by htown horn. merely disagreeing that he played "great" while still praising him and acknowledging that he did his job well enough to win got me some bitch ass neg rep, so i returned the favor.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Uh, we hosted it in ‘04 and will again in ‘19 & ‘20.

We also have hosted the West Regional Qualifying a half dozen times.

Did not know that about 2019 and 2020.  I knew about 2004 but the Myers Stadium situation wasn't at a head at that point.  I still think it's in the wrong spot.  But thanks for pointing out 2019 and 2020, my bad on that.  

It’s also important to note that about half the home basketball games occur when students are not on campus. That will be seriously taken into account during the design process.  

You can have 16k seats but you have to have the right configuration. In the day, the Marriott at Center at BYU was the largest gym in the country at roughly 22k but if I remember correctly, it was one level and the slope was so gradual , the gym wasn't nearly as loud as it should have been. Have as many fans as is possible as close to the floor as you can and you'll have  a great atmosphere. Just don't build a gym that is everything to everyone. You build it for hoops and if you want concerts there, its in a hoops configuration.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:33 AM, Tony Soprano said:

Only 10,000 seats for a basketball arena is retarded.

I don't think you should go smaller than about 12k.  When good, you draw more than that routinely to FEC.  And when mediocre, 8k looks fine in an arena that size instead of literally looking half full like it does today.

If I was a UT alum and basketball got kicked to the river so T&F/soccer could be on campus, I'd be irate.  I don't think there is any way that happens, though.

44 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

I don't think you should go smaller than about 12k.  When good, you draw more than that routinely to FEC.  And when mediocre, 8k looks fine in an arena that size instead of literally looking half full like it does today.

If I was a UT alum and basketball got kicked to the river so T&F/soccer could be on campus, I'd be irate.  I don't think there is any way that happens, though.

If DKR was still AD, that would probably happen. Although being on/close to campus is no guarantee of student attendance, its even less likely that students will get in their cars or take some type of transportation to a game.

That's fucking awesome.  Can you change the bindings to burnt orange instead of Red?  Also, there is an exhibition going on at LBJ right now regarding Civil Rights in sports/because of sports.  Obviously it can't happen in real life, but this would initiate so many cool conversations on campus.  

28 minutes ago, Tony Soprano said:

I'd be happy with a minimum seating capacity around 13,000. We have averaged well over 10,000 for awhile. If you build a nice arena with actual good seats for basketball then people are going to show up. Especially if the team is good like we should always be. The students may never be consistent. Frankly the new admission standards have really hurt support. Just a different kind of student now at UT, and not in a good way.  If capacity is at 10,000 then good luck for the average fan getting tickets.  I agree about Mike Myers. Redo it on the other side of I-35. We need room for an arena, practice fields closer to campus, and a legit indoor facility for football. 

this is wrong. the numbers are wrong. we have not averaged over 10,000 for a while, no matter what the numbers say. i've been to countless games where the reported attendance is 10,800 and there ain't more than 5-6k in the building. and attendance has gone down as shaka's tenure has gone on. in all my life, in countless games at the fec from the late 80's to 2018 ive never seen it as empty as i have during portions of the last two seasons. we fail to even fill out the lower bowl before conference play starts, and even then the only games that get more than decent attendance are the big monday games (8pm start vs a good team) and the saturday games (always vs ku, ou, ucla, nova, sparty, etc, and on a weekend). other than that it's 5-8k for the majority of the time.

Edited by Goo Punch

the joke would be that, according to the actual attendance numbers from the last 5+ seasons, we haven't even been able to get 10,000 butts in the seats even half the time, often getting closer to 5,000 fans in attendance than 10,000.  I remember looking up last year's numbers and they showed that the only games where we got 10,000+ were those big monday and weekend matinee games. you can keep being super sure that a 10,000 seat arena is some huge joke, but it's our attendance that's the joke. also it should be pointed out that nobody here has said that they want a 10,000 seat arena in the first place, so i'm not sure why you keep going in about it.

Edited by Goo Punch

On 11/2/2018 at 5:49 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Baylor announced their campaign for a new field house style gym yesterday. Dropping capacity from 10,347 to 7,000ish.

324296.jpg

324297.jpg

I haven't seen any rapes occurring in the renderings, but usually those things are happening in the shadows.

Put it next to the Brazos so players could easily dump their teammate's bodies after they murder them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Not that it makes a shit but I assume Red River as a through street is a goner. I don’t see how it could fit without taking it away.

That was the plan in the request for proposals but the statesman isn’t using the graphics from that PDF with a removed Red River. Either the plans changed or the statesman is lazy.