Facebook Marketplace. How do I get on it?

I'm doing my spring cleaning, and I wanna sell some stuff on Facebook. I haven't done Facebook, so I opened an account Monday and joined some local buy/sell groups.

I won't be using this account for anything but selling my stuff. No meme, no politics, no suburban facebook idiocracy. To that end, I haven't friended anyone and I continually rebuff facebook's "offer" to kindly mine my Google contacts for everyone who has a Facebook account. Screw them. Ain't happening.

Facebook says I need to be vetted by them, to make sure I'm not a Russian bot. Totally makes sense. That hasn't happened yet. Are they not gonna do that if I don't friend anyone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

I'm doing my spring cleaning, and I wanna sell some stuff on Facebook. I haven't done Facebook, so I opened an account Monday and joined some local buy/sell groups.

I won't be using this account for anything but selling my stuff. No meme, no politics, no suburban facebook idiocracy. To that end, I haven't friended anyone and I continually rebuff facebook's "offer" to kindly mine my Google contacts for everyone who has a Facebook account. Screw them. Ain't happening.

Facebook says I need to be vetted by them, to make sure I'm not a Russian bot. Totally makes sense. That hasn't happened yet. Are they not gonna do that if I don't friend anyone?

Honestly, sounds like you're more of a Craigslist guy. I take it you want to just hand over things to people in person, and not mail things?

I sell shit all the time on FB without using FB Marketplace, but it's because I have about 100 actual friends on there, plus hundreds more that I am using to help me sell shit. Seriously. I was *this* close to ditching the account years ago, but I posted a couple pictures of stuff and somebody said "how much?"

So now I use it to sell shit, promote shows where I sell shit, and that's 99% of it. Maybe I'll join Marketplace and sell more shit, but regular FB works fine for selling shit if you just make a post about shit you want to sell.

PS: with no FB friends, everybody will assume you're a bot.

^^^I do the same thing. I try to avoid the general Facebook marketplace because that's where you'll find these people who want to buy things from you at half asking price and don't read the terms of the sale (no delivery, must pick up from home or police station, etc). I was selling a router for $180 that was $20 less than what Amazon was offering and the guy tried to talk me down to $50 and free delivery....to Sherman....and I live in Dallas. Easy to block those users but goddamn it's annoying having to screen through those folks.

• Like 1

Honestly, sounds like you're more of a Craigslist guy. I take it you want to just hand over things to people in person, and not mail things?
I sell shit all the time on FB without using FB Marketplace, but it's because I have about 100 actual friends on there, plus hundreds more that I am using to help me sell shit. Seriously. I was *this* close to ditching the account years ago, but I posted a couple pictures of stuff and somebody said "how much?"
So now I use it to sell shit, promote shows where I sell shit, and that's 99% of it. Maybe I'll join Marketplace and sell more shit, but regular FB works fine for selling shit if you just make a post about shit you want to sell.

PS: with no FB friends, everybody will assume you're a bot.
Yeah I wanna do all face to face. CL has never done much for me, and FB Marketplace has been suggested by friends.

I went in and followed 20 random people just now. Hopefully that gets me over the hump.

56 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Yeah I wanna do all face to face. CL has never done much for me, and FB Marketplace has been suggested by friends.

I went in and followed 20 random people just now. Hopefully that gets me over the hump.

Zuckerberg is using you and you're using him. You might want to jump onto whatever local FB groups there are near you, then the bots will start linking you to people who may want your widgets.

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

^^^I do the same thing. I try to avoid the general Facebook marketplace because that's where you'll find these people who want to buy things from you at half asking price and don't read the terms of the sale (no delivery, must pick up from home or police station, etc). I was selling a router for $180 that was $20 less than what Amazon was offering and the guy tried to talk me down to $50 and free delivery....to Sherman....and I live in Dallas. Easy to block those users but goddamn it's annoying having to screen through those folks.

I actually enjoy lurking in pawn shops just to glimpse the mindset of the American public.