In home assistnace for the elderly - San Antonio

Fuck this is a depressing topic so fully expecting it to drop to the bottom pretty quickly, but do any of you have any positive experiences with any services that provide health/general assistance to los viejitos?  Just at home care.  Mom is never going to leave the house.  We need someone who will spot check on them, and then pretty quickly increase the hours that they are with them.

Just getting started on the research/trying to see what connections we have.

Not in San Antonio.  The "agency" is one aspect and it needs to be reputable, of course, but the individual "providers" are often the biggest variable.  Some Mom will like, some probably less so.  Same for you.  Other than that warm fuzzy, I don't think there's a great deal of difference in the competence of the providers.  They're kind of like "maids" with a bit more medical and geriatric issue awareness.  Most are not credentialed beyond LVN, if that.

I am not aware of any insurance coverage outside of a long-term care policy.  Things may have changed but Medicare/aid don't provide anything except skilled nursing coverage for specific conditions or at a nursing home.  Neither do most supplements.

It sucks.  It's a headache.  And it's expensive.

Buena suerte amigo.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Yep, understood.  When it came to such care for my mother in law, it did come down to the individual caretaker, who we got by word of mouth and established a friendship/relationship with.  We did use one service that had a good "home office" however, who resolved some issues we had very quickly, so that was a plus.  

Dad has ALZ but still lives at home. We have Right At Home in house for 8 hrs a day to provide Meds, cook, do light housekeeping, and provide companionship. We’ve had a wide variety of caregivers including 2 we had fired after showing up then immediately sitting in a chair and falling asleep. He currently had a lady that is M-F and she is great.

Don’t know if they are in SA but I’m sure there is something comparable there.