2018 NBA Playoffs

Grade of D as in David

16 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Other than college football my love for all sports has dropped over the years.  Until now - I’m pumped for these nba playoffs.  

Even the boring ass east has some shit cooking...Philly wrecking hoes.  

Lets do this.  

Call me crazy, but I think the eastern conference finals could be Cleveland vs Philadelphia...

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Toronto should win Round 1 handily, but getting past Cleveland is another story. HCA is nice, but not the difference in these series. 

Talent wise, I don't the Wizards are that far off from the Raptors. But we all know Wall/Beal are mental midgets in the playoffs. Then again, so is Lowry. I think this series can go 6 but Raptors will win.

19 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Call me crazy, but I think the eastern conference finals could be Cleveland vs Philadelphia...

I don't think Philly to the ECF is the fait accompli that everyone seems to think it is.

They're going up against a good coach in Spo in round 1 and then probably another good coach in round 2 in Stevens; I think Philly is a type of team you can gameplan for and with the extra days of prepping for one team and one team only, a good coach could give them fits.  Slow the game down, leave Simmons open, get in Reddick's jersey so he can't get off 3s, make Embiid (who may not even be available) beat you in the post.

In fact, if it's Philly vs Boston in Round 2, I'd pick Boston.

On 4/12/2018 at 12:40 AM, BigOrange1 said:

never understood why people complain about 2 weeks/round.  if a series goes 7 games, that is an average of a game every other day.  if it doesn't go 7, the series doesn't last 2 weeks.

Agree with your basic premise but the 3 day gap that they have in some of the 1stround series to make sure all games are on TV separately stretches even longer than 2 wks if they go 7.

On 4/12/2018 at 12:52 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

always hated how people whine about how long the playoffs last. you realize after the finals in mid june...we have baseball and usa-less world cup to get us to fall camp?

this right here!   after the Finals there is isnt anything to watch for 3 months.  I'm loading up on movies and TV show downloads to watch after the Finals now like a bear prepping for hibernation.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:11 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Looks like they got rid of the old Saturday 12 o'clock game. Toronto must've lost too many times in that time slot

I just saw that and was pissed.    I was looking forward to waking up to games and not having to stay up to 1 am to finish the last gm.

If OKC bows out unceremoniously in the first or 2nd round, are all of these talking heads that have been beating us over the head with "I'll tell you one thing, absolutely no one wants to face the Thunder right now!" going to change their tune to "It was just a bad match-up; [insert top seed] is so lucky that they didn't have to play them." 

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

If OKC bows out unceremoniously in the first or 2nd round, are all of these talking heads that have been beating us over the head with "I'll tell you one thing, absolutely no one wants to face the Thunder right now!" going to change their tune to "It was just a bad match-up; [insert top seed] is so lucky that they didn't have to play them." 

well.......the Utah matchup is as about as bad as there was for them so.......... hahhahaha

14 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I don't think Philly to the ECF is the fait accompli that everyone seems to think it is.

They're going up against a good coach in Spo in round 1 and then probably another good coach in round 2 in Stevens; I think Philly is a type of team you can gameplan for and with the extra days of prepping for one team and one team only, a good coach could give them fits.  Slow the game down, leave Simmons open, get in Reddick's jersey so he can't get off 3s, make Embiid (who may not even be available) beat you in the post.

Boston was going to struggle offensively in the playoffs before Kyrie went out.  I don't know where there offensive comes from now against playoff defenses.  A lot of really good looking dribble hand-offs...that don't go anywhere.  Maybe they get past Milwaukee, but Philly's defense is really, really good.  Like 3 players in conversations to make an all-defense team (and 1 in the DPOY race) good.  Even if Boston stalls their offense (and they likely will), they still can't score themselves.  It's going to be the Eastern Conference version of Warriors/Spurs.

58 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:
5 hours ago, d2o said:
well.......the Utah matchup is as about as bad as there was for them so.......... hahhahaha

OKC was 3-1 against Utah this season.

All 4 were with Roberson, only 2 included Gobert, and they all came before Utah's 27-5 run to end the season where their defense has been absurd. 

If Utah had home court, I'd take them in 6. But OKC is a tough building for a young team to win in.

Ok, but is Utah the worst matchup for them? I don't think there was a better one on the table.

Getting 4th was the best possible outcome for OKC. Playing Utah instead of Portland is arguably more difficult, but with HCA I think OKC can pull it off though. Should be an interesting series.

Oh, they should absolutely beat a team whose best player is a rookie, especially with home court, and they'll deserve every ounce of criticism that they receive if they don't. While it is about the toughest matchup they could have gotten other than Houston--playing the 2nd best team over the calendar year--they have no excuses as a team who will have the 2 best players on the court by a considerable margin. (Not that it'll stop ESPN from making the excuses for them).

100% yes. Golden State will ratchet up their defense to elite levels now that it's finally the playoffs, and KD will do KD things, but they've still never really developed an identity without a Steph.

With Curry, Golden State probably sweeps OKC or wins in 5. Without, they probably still win, but it would be a tough series to match the physicality and emotion that you know OKC would come with every night playing a team they hate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:53 PM, Message Board User said:

Genius, this guy is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Genius, this guy is.

You win one internet. Few series outcomes have ever surprised be more. Talent usually wins the day in the playoffs. I'm even a way bigger Al Horford than most, but this has been shocking.

12 hours ago, aggie08 said:

You win one internet. Few series outcomes have ever surprised be more. Talent usually wins the day in the playoffs. I'm even a way bigger Al Horford than most, but this has been shocking.

A week ago there was a thought that Lebron + Simmons would be redundant and their games don't mesh and Lebron would mess up that young core and Philly would be foolish to pursue him.

The last 2 games should dispel all of that and Philly should absolutely do what it can to bring him into the fold.  Simmons is a mess right now, he's completely flummoxed, the moment is too big for him and I think Lebron would help him and Embiid's development immeasurably.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

A week ago there was a thought that Lebron + Simmons would be redundant and their games don't mesh and Lebron would mess up that young core and Philly would be foolish to pursue him.

The last 2 games should dispel all of that and Philly should absolutely do what it can to bring him into the fold.  Simmons is a mess right now, he's completely flummoxed, the moment is too big for him and I think Lebron would help him and Embiid's development immeasurably.

Agree. If I were LJ, that's where I would go. 

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I've always wondered how LBJ would do with a good big man