Corona Virus Silver Lining thread to feel less shit-tastic

Zombie

While we wallow in the depressing muck of the devastating medical and economic effects of Trump's handling of the carona virus, I thought it would be constructive (and a break from the feelings of helplessness) to consider what could potentially be some silver linings of this disaster. Here are some I hope to see. 

1. Biden or Bernie defeat Trump
  2. Democrats take senate
  3. Republican party and their 35% of deplorables are shunned for a generation
  4. At the very least, a powerful public option or medicare option for all is passed by said Senate and House
  5. Science becomes the driving force of major public policy decisions
  6. The U.S. dramatically increases foreign aid to combat climate change, global virus/diseases, and poverty
Edited by Zombie
  • Like 6

"5. Science becomes the driving force of major public policy decisions"

A corollary to this is that Americans start learning how to vet sources.  The fact is, many of the idiots think they are following science; they just don't know how to discern a reputable source from a horrible one.   

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Zombie said:

While we wallow in the depressing muck of the devastating medical and economic effects of Trump's handling of the carona virus, I thought it would be constructive (and a break from the feelings of helplessness) to consider what could potentially be some silver linings of this disaster. Here are some I hope to see. 

2. Democrats take senate
  4. At the very least, a powerful public option or medicare option for all is passed by said Senate and House
  6. The U.S. dramatically increases foreign aid to combat climate change, global virus/diseases, and poverty

1-4.) By November, the 300K deaths will be remembered as a national victory for Trump who saved the rest of us with his small business loans and travel bans.

5.)

Image result for science couldn't even make I more smarter

6.) More foreign aid to countries with Trump properties.

That boomer line being a cliff.  Edit:  To clarify, I don't want anyone to die, but it would be a good thing if the power and authority held by the boomers were passed on.

FT_18.02.15_GenerationsBirths_projected.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

states are finally wresting control from the federal gov't

This, and stuff like what Mark Cuban said.

The federal government is too slow, but state and business owners have the fastest way to curtail the virus by making sure people are treated and don't have to leave home.

23 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

gas will be cheap for a bit

Unfortunately you're also more likely to be robbed at the gas station by one of the many ctitzens who quickly exhausted their liquidity. Especially if police departments experience sizable no shows due to illness. The key: get your gas early, while folks still have some cash in their pockets.

39 minutes ago, Tuco said:

"5. Science becomes the driving force of major public policy decisions"

A corollary to this is that Americans start learning how to vet sources.  The fact is, many of the idiots think they are following science; they just don't know how to discern a reputable source from a horrible one.   

I have the proprietor of a health food store on my Facebook friends list, and she drives me absolutely bananas with her screeds about science and evidence which almost invariably are non-scientific and non-evidentiary. Words like "holistic" and "organic" have a bad name because of people like her. The sad part is, some of what she advocates for is actually legit; she just isn't the person to make the case for those things, because of how badly she makes the case for... you know... all that other stuff.

Once everybody gets the virus, the survivors will be immune, and even the previously uninfected will have a greatly reduced chance of contraction due to the reduction in available hosts among the survivors (previously infected).

I hope we don't go that route tho.

2 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Once everybody gets the virus, the survivors will be immune, and even the previously uninfected will have a greatly reduced chance of contraction due to the reduction in available hosts among the survivors (previously infected).

I think we are headed towards a 28 Days Later scenario.  The End is Extremely Fucking Nigh.

1 hour ago, Zombie said:

2. Democrats take senate

Yes please

23 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

We're in state of emergency here that basically closes everything for the next 30 days starting at 8pm tomorrow, so I'm gonna save some money.  

where you at?  DC is closing music venues, galleries, sporting events, universities--wtf is next?  Restaurants are easier to access now.  Wouldn't step foot in a movie theater before and certainly won't now. 

The "silver lining" is sort of dark, but as always there is one.  Load reduced on social security medicare and medicaid funding due to the reduction of covered persons and the projection of covered persons due to death of 65+ year olds.  A trickle down of wealth to younger generations due to the fatalities, that would spur additional economic stimulus via spending and reinvestment. 

So there you go.  My wife and I are lucky we still have both sets of parents.  But at 84+ and hers with some definite debilitating conditions, make the odds of all of them surviving an infection at probably zero.  I guarantee there are some scumbag kids making some inheritance plans.

36 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I've had both the cold and the flu more than once. What makes you think surviving coronavirus makes you immune? It's not chicken pox. 

33 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think we are headed towards a 28 Days Later scenario.  The End is Extremely Fucking Nigh.

My wife just quoted that to me in a text 30 minutes ago.  Wait, Biff, what are you wearing?

26 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

where you at?  DC is closing music venues, galleries, sporting events, universities--wtf is next?  Restaurants are easier to access now.  Wouldn't step foot in a movie theater before and certainly won't now. 

Prague

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

That boomer line being a cliff.  Edit:  To clarify, I don't want anyone to die, but it would be a good thing if the power and authority held by the boomers were passed on.

FT_18.02.15_GenerationsBirths_projected.

If there were someone to pass it to other than millennials, I'd agree.

Biggest silver lining is that it might jostle some amount of sense into some of the right wing base.

Most people go through life believing they'll be okay, so long as there aren't any imminent threats in front of them. The right knows this, so they invent threats to drive uneducated people towards fearing whatever the right wants them to fear. Many of the idiots out there who end up with lost loved ones will not forget Fox News and Trump downplaying this thing. It'll be the first time a real threat hits home, and it'll be the left that tried to warn them.

Ah, who am I kidding. That's a fantasy.