NCAA Tourney canceled

Goo Punch

47 minutes ago, Bartles said:

The sports sites should start posting blank brackets from past years to see how good everyone's memory is. Obviously no money on it because cheating would be pretty easy. I'd probably still have a ton of red ink, even in the later rounds.

I could probably bat a pretty high percentage on final fours and work backward, and I’d imagine I’d remember a good chunk of the big upsets...but yeah, I’d still miss a ton of games. If they don’t make the 2nd weekend, who remembers 8/9 and 7/10 winners, for example.

4 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

I could probably bat a pretty high percentage on final fours and work backward, and I’d imagine I’d remember a good chunk of the big upsets...but yeah, I’d still miss a ton of games. If they don’t make the 2nd weekend, who remembers 8/9 and 7/10 winners, for example.

Seton Hall always wins the 8/9 game.  Every. Fucking. Time. 

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

The sports sites should start posting blank brackets from past years to see how good everyone's memory is. Obviously no money on it because cheating would be pretty easy. I'd probably still have a ton of red ink, even in the later rounds.

I doubt I could name more than 2 of the Final Four teams in any given year.

• Like 1

I can't even begin to imagine how devastated I would have been if this had happened when I was 17. That year's NCAA Tournament was one of the most important things that happened to me that year-- graduating high school, starting at UT, losing my virginity with greggym's mother, you name it, college basketball was right up there.

There were a few "well, now we can fire Shaka" comments upthread, but maybe I'm looking at it a little differently: Not having to face the inevitable beatdown by Tech and the resultant failure, yet again, to make the tourney MAY let ol'  Worse-than-Weltlich-If-That's-Possible  skate into next year. I hope not, but stranger things have happened.

there's a ton of people in the fire shaka thread speculating that his job has been saved by this pandemic, and i think that all of you are wrong. i don't think the corona virus plays any part in the decision, nor do i think that any result against Tech would have played a part in the decision.

It's so strange to me that 95% of people here think that CDC is "waiting to see how this season shakes out" before making a decision. This is one of the biggest decisions of his entire career at Texas, and the decision has surely already been made by now. Our AD isn't going to wait to get the ball rolling on that process just so that he can see whether or not we defend our NIT crown. If CDC is fit to be the Texas AD then he's been making moves behind the scenes for months now. No result at the ass end of Shaka's fifth year here is going to change anything. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Tomorrow's going to fucking suck, at least today the wife and I did a day trip over to Vermont instead of me just sulking around the house while she watches all the CV19 news.  Guess I'll get an early start on the HTDL I've been putting off since Sept. 

47 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Actually the biggest decision in CDC's career thus far was whether or not to keep Tom around.  No one gives a dog's rip about basketball. 

A)nobody said that this was his biggest decision at Texas, and B)this is a decision involving spending tens of millions of dollars to fire one staff and hire a new one, so yeah, it's a pretty big deal.

also, LOL at the notion that CDC ever considered firing Tom Herman for one millisecond. you whiny football fans might have wanted him fired, but that was never anything that was ever even up for consideration. so yeah, this whole Shaka deal might be the biggest decision he's had to make thus far. thanks for pointing that out. 

Edited by Goo Punch

19 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

This is like losing a fucking dog. You sit down on the couch to watch the games and your dog isn't there anymore. And it continues every goddamn night for a while.

More like the hot girl that promised to get you laid but didn’t show up.

56 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

there's a ton of people in the fire shaka thread speculating that his job has been saved by this pandemic, and i think that all of you are wrong. i don't think the corona virus plays any part in the decision, nor do i think that any result against Tech would have played a part in the decision.

It's so strange to me that 95% of people here think that CDC is "waiting to see how this season shakes out" before making a decision. This is one of the biggest decisions of his entire career at Texas, and the decision has surely already been made by now. Our AD isn't going to wait to get the ball rolling on that process just so that he can see whether or not we defend our NIT crown. If CDC is fit to be the Texas AD then he's been making moves behind the scenes for months now. No result at the ass end of Shaka's fifth year here is going to change anything. 

He's much more likely to have been saved by oil tanking than by the season cancellation.

39 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's much more likely to have been saved by oil tanking than by the season cancellation.

we save, what, $3-4M if we give him another year? is that really something we can't/aren't willing to swing because of oil tanking? 

43 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

What's Shaka's buyout? 

Can it get included into the several trillion $$$ federal economy saving stimulus package? 

i think we owe him around $10M at this point, and if we fire him we have to pay him and his staff in full. it's like $3-4M/year that we owe him. the most realistic scenario that sees us saving any money on this is one where CDC nudges Shaka towards finding another job so as to save face from being fired, and we promise to cover his salary, or take care of him and his staff financially in one way or another that falls well short of having to pay the full $10M to get him to go away. 

46 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

we save, what, $3-4M if we give him another year? is that really something we can't/aren't willing to swing because of oil tanking? 

No, it’s because no BMDs give a fuck about basketball. It’s not just the football board whiners....

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Unless Beilein is lined up, my guess is Shaka gets to return next season...

5 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

No, it’s because no BMDs give a fuck about basketball. It’s not just the football board whiners....

so then your answer would be "yes", we can't/aren't willing to spend $3-4M to fire Shaka. not sure how we expect to be top 10 across the board in all programs if that's the case. 

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

so then your answer would be "yes", we can't/aren't willing to spend $3-4M to fire Shaka. not sure how we expect to be top 10 across the board in all programs if that's the case. 

Lol, in the sense that ‘we’ includes both Shaggy posters and legit BMDs...

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Don't you save more than that, since you won't be paying a new coach and staff?

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Lol, in the sense that ‘we’ includes both Shaggy posters and legit BMDs...

CDC doesn't need to do some major fund raising effort to come up with a few mil to fire a guy who is killing our program. if that's a legit excuse then there's no difference in Texas and Baylor. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

CDC doesn't need to do some major fund raising effort to come up with a few mil to fire a guy who is killing our program. if that's a legit excuse then there's no difference in Texas and Baylor. 

Hate to tell you bro, there’s a big difference between Texas and Baylor and it has zero to do with donor money....

The NCAA saw this coming more than 15 years ago.

Not the outbreak of a deadly virus that would become a global pandemic and force the association to cancel its Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments.

But the NCAA did have the foresight to begin planning for an unknown catastrophic event that would threaten its biggest and most lucrative event.

By 2014, the association had accumulated a nearly $400 million cushion as a hedge against a massive loss of revenue from the tournament. However, at the direction of its governing board of college presidents, the NCAA distributed that money to schools to help them with increasing costs and spent it on their behalf in other ways, including a $208.7 million legal settlement.

The NCAA depends on the basketball tournament for nearly all of its annual revenue, more than half of which gets distributed directly to Division I schools and conferences. The money comes mostly from a multi-billion-dollar media and marketing contract with CBS and Turner, but it also comes from ticket and merchandise sales.

The NCAA had $1.12 billion in revenue for a fiscal year ending Aug. 31, 2019, according to its newly released audited financial statement. Of that amount, $804 million came from the CBS/Turner deal. Another $170 million was attributed to “championships and NIT tournaments,” with a sizable portion of that likely coming from the men’s basketball tournament.

The full financial implications for the NCAA — and, thus, for member schools and conferences — of canceling this year's tournament are difficult to assess because the CBS/Turner deal and various other event-related contracts are not public, and it is likely that the association has some form of insurance.

BEHIND THE SCENES:Basketball tournament chaos shows NCAA's fractured relationship with its own

"NCAA leadership and membership committees are identifying and working through the considerable implications related to the decision to cancel remaining winter and all spring championships in response to the COVID-19 pandemic," the NCAA said in a statement. "While some decisions can be made quickly like the suspension of recruiting activity, others may take time to reach conclusion. As details become available, we will share with our membership and the public."

Gabe Feldman, director of the Tulane Sports Law Program, said provisions related to unforeseen circumstances “are a part of every major contract,” and it would relieve both the NCAA and CBS/Turner of their obligations in this instance. So the NCAA would not be breaching the contract by not having an event, but CBS/Turner would not have to pay for this contract year.

Feldman and Southern Cal sports business professor David Carter both predicted that this would have no impact on the parties’ future relationship. “They’ve really treated each other as strategic partners,” Carter said. “There’s a symbiotic relationship — they need each other.”

But the NCAA’s 2020 Revenue Distribution Plan calls for the NCAA to pay out roughly $600 million to the schools and conferences from April 15 through June 10. The new audited financial statement showed the association with more than $400 million in unrestricted net assets, and it likely has the ability to borrow against the future value of the CBS/Turner deal, which has more than $12 billion remaining on it between now and 2032.

“The NCAA will be fine,” said Barbara Osborne, a sports administration professor at the University of North Carolina. “It is the membership. It will have future tournaments. It has sponsorships. But all schools will be having huge belt tightening because of this. This is going to affect higher education as a whole and school budgets overall. That’s going to impact the institutional subsidy for athletic programs. …

“Athletic department budgets will be smaller because conference payouts will be smaller. A lot of mid-majors desperately rely on these dollars (from the NCAA, the conferences and the institutions). It’s not a pretty picture.”

Avoiding all — or at least some — of this was what the NCAA’s leadership, including college presidents, had in mind in 2004 when they set aside $45 million for a fund that was designated as a quasi-endowment. That meant the money was intended to be retained and invested, but unlike a permanent endowment, its principal could be spent.

The original goal for its growth was $500 million, and the hope was that in addition to protecting against a loss of revenue from the basketball tournament, the fund also would eventually throw off money to support NCAA programs. After putting in the initial $45 million, the NCAA began to annually add a portion of its annual operating surpluses to the quasi-endowment, which also retained any investment earnings.

According to NCAA financial statements, the fund was worth $123 million at the end of fiscal 2006, $209 million at the end of 2010 and $385 million at the end of fiscal 2014.

In March 2016, with schools having been allowed to begin providing scholarships based on the full cost of attending school and other new benefits, the NCAA Board of Governors — its top policy-making group — approved a one-time supplemental distribution of $200 million to Division I schools. Rules about the schools’ use of that money were put in place in an effort to make sure it would be spent on new or enhanced programs to benefit athletes, as opposed to coaches’ salaries or improve purely athletic facilities.

"In recent years, Division I has made a number of rule changes in order to provide additional support for college athletes," the association said in a statement announcing the move. "However, those new rules also increased the financial load on many Division I programs.  With the new scholarship rules taking effect this academic year, the Board of Governors which has the authority to manage assets held in reserve – decided the support was needed at this time."

In November 2016, the NCAA proposed the $208.7 million settlement of a lawsuit brought on behalf of tens of thousands of college athletes who received traditional sports scholarships rather than a new version that covers the cost of attendance.

The NCAA and 11 major conferences were co-defendants in the suit, but when the settlement was publicly disclosed in February 2017, the association said in a statement that the Board of Governors  “determined the settlement will be funded entirely from NCAA reserves, and no conference or member schools will be required to contribute.”