College World Series Cancelled.

landman

30 minutes ago, wood said:

Pretty bizarre. This is the farthest ahead I've seen for a cancellation. WTF? Why not set a date and then reevaluate? Unreal...

If you don't play the games how do you know who gets to host/ goes to the regionals? 

12 minutes ago, Loco said:

If you don't play the games how do you know who gets to host/ goes to the regionals? 

They're playing still, right? The Texas site says they're playing without fans.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Agree with all that suspension, while specifically stating that it might eventually be a cancellation, makes more sense.

calling it a cancellation is about contracts/legal.  Lawyers have been consulted by all these folks.

March Madness is probably inside some window but others might be outside the windows.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

One L in canceled in this country, guvnah.

Weirdly enough, at the Patent Office, the word cancelled gets used a ton in several contexts.  And it is often spelled britstyle.  Including in the CFR if not USC.

I always use American spelling, aside from the above, and it looks odd.

Edited by TwiceHorn

20 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Wrong, they are done for the year.

Link? Last I saw Big 12 said through 3/29 and Texas honored that

“With the Big 12's recent directive suspending athletics activities until Sunday, March 29, all regular-season Longhorn Athletics competitions will be cancelled until that date”

https://texassports.com/news/2020/3/12/texas-athletics-statement-from-ut-vice-president-and-athletics-director-chris-del-conte.aspx

53 minutes ago, Loco said:

Well, LSU gets a home regional with three of the weakest sisters in the country.  Give the rest of the SEC and the ACC about six more host spots each.  Give the Pac-12 one host spot and load it with all the best teams on the west coast.  What do we need, two more?  Louisville and some perennially overrated Big 10 team (pardon the redundancy).  Wallah!

I did just as well as the committee would have!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Link? Last I saw Big 12 said through 3/29 and Texas honored that

“With the Big 12's recent directive suspending athletics activities until Sunday, March 29, all regular-season Longhorn Athletics competitions will be cancelled until that date”

https://texassports.com/news/2020/3/12/texas-athletics-statement-from-ut-vice-president-and-athletics-director-chris-del-conte.aspx

The NCAA canceled all remaining winter and spring sports.  I guess it's possible that the Big 12 will break from that and resume playing but I highly doubt it.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Well, LSU gets a home regional with three of the weakest sisters in the country.  Give the rest of the SEC and the ACC about six more host spots each.  Give the Pac-12 one host spot and load it with all the best teams on the west coast.  What do we need, two more?  Louisville and some perennially overrated Big 10 team (pardon the redundancy).  Wallah!

I did just as well as the committee would have!

Michigan obvi 

2 minutes ago, txhorns said:

The NCAA canceled all remaining winter and spring sports.  I guess it's possible that the Big 12 will break from that and resume playing but I highly doubt it.

No they cancelled the championships. Oh eventually the season will be. But apparently individual games before the tournament are regulated by the conferences 

Edited by Js1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Guess they'll essentially be exhibition games, since there's no post season to play for

Basically yes. But also for video for draft scouts 

Edited by Js1

20 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Coaches may not want it. With limited scholarships, they can’t have guys holding them for an extra year without it screwing up recruiting.

Gotta be a workaround. Maybe they don’t count against your limit or something 

9 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

The entire Baylor baseball team, coaching staff and entourage got exposed to the CV19 on their trip to San Jose and are all in quarantine. How did they all get exposed? Getting groped by TSA, of course!

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Baylor-Baseball-team-self-quarantine-after-having-contact-with--568753221.html

Ah finally, a Baylor athlete knows how it feels to get raped 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That tweet and everything else I can find seems to indicate that just the championships have been completely canceled by the NCAA. That sucks bad enough, but it seems like regular season games are canceled til the 29th, even in this CDC statement. Also, is it just me, or is he hinting there that the last word on this has not been spoken?

Statement from UT Vice President and Athletics Director Chris Del Conte:
"With the Big 12's recent directive suspending athletics activities until Sunday, March 29, all regular-season Longhorn Athletics competitions will be cancelled until that date, beginning with our Baseball series on Friday. In addition to in-season UT sports with current regular-season competition like Baseball, Golf, Rowing, Softball and Tennis, this also will include the Texas Relays and Spring Soccer matches, and postpone a decision on the start of Spring Football Practice until after the March 29 date.

"That was followed by an announcement from the NCAA that all winter and spring sports championships have been cancelled, which includes those upcoming in Track & Field, Basketball and Swimming & Diving. This is a very fluid situation and one that presents great challenges. The health, safety and well-being of everyone involved is the number one priority and we will be having many discussions in the coming hours, days and weeks to determine what the next steps are. We appreciate everyone's support and patience on this and will continue to provide updates as decisions are made."

Edited by wood

15 minutes ago, wood said:

That tweet and everything else I can find seems to indicate that just the championships have been completely canceled by the NCAA. That sucks bad enough, but it seems like regular season games are canceled til the 29th, even in this CDC statement. Also, is it just me, or is he hinting there that the last word on this has not been spoken?

Statement from UT Vice President and Athletics Director Chris Del Conte:
"With the Big 12's recent directive suspending athletics activities until Sunday, March 29, all regular-season Longhorn Athletics competitions will be cancelled until that date, beginning with our Baseball series on Friday. In addition to in-season UT sports with current regular-season competition like Baseball, Golf, Rowing, Softball and Tennis, this also will include the Texas Relays and Spring Soccer matches, and postpone a decision on the start of Spring Football Practice until after the March 29 date.

"That was followed by an announcement from the NCAA that all winter and spring sports championships have been cancelled, which includes those upcoming in Track & Field, Basketball and Swimming & Diving. This is a very fluid situation and one that presents great challenges. The health, safety and well-being of everyone involved is the number one priority and we will be having many discussions in the coming hours, days and weeks to determine what the next steps are. We appreciate everyone's support and patience on this and will continue to provide updates as decisions are made."

Baseball could still happen. The conferences can pick it back up. Maybe they arrange their own postseason independent of NCAA

• Like 1