2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

49% strikeout rate is unbelievable.

Who the F is the hitting coach?  Do these guys have any approach?

College player(s) at a program like Texas shouldn't be this bad.

remember folks, its a new era, strikeouts aren't bad, ground balls are bad.   we are just ahead of the curve(pun intended) here and perfecting our craft.

Dude, we finished #16 in Hoops in 2011 and won the NIT two years ago.  That's pretty good.  Plus those two CWS appearances (three, if you count 2011 2&Q).  And then that Sugar Bowl that people just finally shut the fuck up about.  Considering how many tens of millions of dollars we waste every year, I'd say that's a damn good track record.  Unless it's not.  Which it isn't.  We are the biggest fucking waste of money in all of sports, except for maybe the Mets or Bengals. 

Edited by Lobo

39 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

That has to rank up there as one of the worst (if not THE worst) 3-game offensive performances in UT baseball history. 47 Ks in 27 innings and 4 runs scored...in three games...is truly astounding. I was there to witness it too. Agonizing to watch.

image.gif.46e7858c235a12a70bd983af32747a69.gif

2019 Stanford, OSU, KU all come to mind, especially considering how much worse the pitching was in most of those games. Unfortunately there’s been almost no starting lineup turnover in the last 2 years either. 

• Like 1

Did they hire a batting coach straight out of T-Ball? You'd have better performance if you took these players straight out of high school/select ball and didn't touch their batting technique and plate approach coming into college. Someone is actively coaching hitting out of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw all three games in person. The most concerning thing about the strikeouts were how many of them were just blowing us away on fastballs.

We rarely got into any hitters counts, seemed like we had a million 0-2 counts. When we got to 2-0 or 3-0 we still couldn't catch up to the heat. 

17 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Saw all three games in person. The most concerning thing about the strikeouts were how many of them were just blowing us away on fastballs.

We rarely got into any hitters counts, seemed like we had a million 0-2 counts. When we got to 2-0 or 3-0 we still couldn't catch up to the heat. 

We've never been a very good hitting team recently, but that does seem like a major regression to me and very concerning.

17 hours ago, Machinator said:

Yeah, I don't think this is going to go well for us. At least we aren't going to be fooled by false hope early in the season.

I thought we were all supposed to hold back judgement for this weekend because of the circumstances and not overreact?

Now the whole season is doomed?

I wish you fuckers would be consistent. I was all relaxed this weekend remembering I was not supposed to freak out, when I could have been having fun panicking. Thanks guys.

Edited by Valmy77

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I thought we were all supposed to hold back judgement for this weekend because of the circumstances and not overreact?

I wish you fuckers would be consistent. I was all relaxed this weekend remembering I was not supposed to freak out, when I could have been having fun panicking. Thanks guys.

Our guys look like they’ve never hit a baseball for the past 15 years of their lives. 

Vidgo is having a deal for new subscribers for $10 a month for the first 60 days.  I'm going to sign up tomorrow so I have the longhorn network for the first series. 

I also promised my daughter that I would try and take her to the game in college station this year since we missed the arlington tourney.  There are tickets available on stub hub, but I'm holding off until I see if things improve.  I'm not going to college station if we're going to look as bad as we did in arlington.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I haven’t played organized baseball in years but I’m pretty sure I could’ve stepped into the box this weekend and at least put the ball in play. The amount of strike outs we had was insulting 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I expected competitive losses. We didn't meet that bar.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pierce's quotes below.    jmo,  but Pierce seems to favor power hitting,  thus the long swings he mentions below.    And this is why he moved in the fences at DFF.   He seems to recruit for power. 

May be successful until you face quality pitching.   Then adjustments need to be made like shortening the swing to make contact.   That was the concerning thing,  after 18K's on Sat,  the trend continued without adjustments.    

Note that we were last in the B12 in hitting for '17 (.252) and '19 (.250) and 6th in '18 (.271).    We were 8th (.256) last year.

https://big12sports.com/news/2008/7/16/1513506.aspx

tl:dr:   They may be trying to hit a home run every at bat.

"Hitting and scoring kind of comes and goes, but approach has to be better," Texas coach David Pierce said. "I think we have some length in our swing that's probably caused by some tension and I think we have faced really good, quality pitching out of the gate. You combine those three things together and it's kind of a nightmare for us right now."

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/02/21/baseball-strikeouts-issue-texas-arkansas-bests-its-old-foe/4536956001/

"I got a lot of information from this tournament," Texas coach David Pierce said. "I think that's good for us."

"Did we play well? No. Was Arlington an incredible field and kicked our butts? Yes," Pierce said. "We just look at it like that. We're not going to feel sorry for ourselves and I can't wait until we play again."

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/02/22/baseball-beaten-ole-miss-texas-off-worst-start-since-2006/4549308001/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, torre said:

Pierce's quotes below.    jmo,  but Pierce seems to favor power hitting,  thus the long swings he mentions below.    And this is why he moved in the fences at DFF.   He seems to recruit for power. 

May be successful until you face quality pitching.   Then adjustments need to be made like shortening the swing to make contact.   That was the concerning thing,  after 18K's on Sat,  the trend continued without adjustments.    

Note that we were last in the B12 in hitting for '17 (.252) and '19 (.250) and 6th in '18 (.271).    We were 8th (.256) last year.

"Hitting and scoring kind of comes and goes, but approach has to be better," Texas coach David Pierce said. "I think we have some length in our swing that's probably caused by some tension and I think we have faced really good, quality pitching out of the gate. You combine those three things together and it's kind of a nightmare for us right now."

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/02/21/baseball-strikeouts-issue-texas-arkansas-bests-its-old-foe/4536956001/

"I got a lot of information from this tournament," Texas coach David Pierce said. "I think that's good for us."

"Did we play well? No. Was Arlington an incredible field and kicked our butts? Yes," Pierce said. "We just look at it like that. We're not going to feel sorry for ourselves and I can't wait until we play again."

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/02/22/baseball-beaten-ole-miss-texas-off-worst-start-since-2006/4549308001/

Can we just have a half decent coach in ONE sport that is televised?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, torre said:

This interesting. A longer swing is usually does favor power but not always.  Alex Bregman’s short swing and still hitting for power comes to mind. A downside to having a longer swing is you have to commit to the pitch sooner than you would with a shorter swing.

The players still seemed to not have any approach at all and I’m glad Pierce acknowledged it. They were swinging at first pitch off speed away or popping an F6 on a 2-0 count. Then if they were patient and waited for their pitch to hit, the ball would just blow right by them. The pitcher would throw a cock shot and half the time contact wasn’t even made. That is very scary to witness even early in the season. There’s going to be games where the team hit count is low, maybe even for a series. I don’t mind a low hit game if guys are having good AB’s and hitting the ball hard—they’ll find a hits eventually. But to struggle to put the ball in play is again cause for concern. 

• Hook 'Em 2

If he thinks they're pressing and getting long he needs to make them choke up and take relaxed swings to put the ball in play with 2 strikes. You get up to 2 free muscle fuck hacks per AB but after that stop embarrassing yourself and hurting the team. /oldschoolrant

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

This interesting. A longer swing is usually does favor power but not always.  Alex Bregman’s short swing and still hitting for power comes to mind. A downside to having a longer swing is you have to commit to the pitch sooner than you would with a shorter swing.

The players still seemed to not have any approach at all and I’m glad Pierce acknowledged it. They were swinging at first pitch off speed away or popping an F6 on a 2-0 count. Then if they were patient and waited for their pitch to hit, the ball would just blow right by them. The pitcher would throw a cock shot and half the time contact wasn’t even made. That is very scary to witness even early in the season. There’s going to be games where the team hit count is low, maybe even for a series. I don’t mind a low hit game if guys are having good AB’s and hitting the ball hard—they’ll find a hits eventually. But to struggle to put the ball in play is again cause for concern. 

Great post. Cant stand swinging at 1st pitch breaking balls unless you were sitting on it and it was fat. 1st pitch change up I understand, you didn't see it. 1st pitch and ahead in the count, you're looking for a specific pitch in the heart of the zone, usually fastballs. Fall behind and the approach becomes react and don't strike out. But they see the pros hacking because it makes sense analytically at that level and assume they should. 

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, B00M said:

If he thinks they're pressing and getting long he needs to make them choke up and take relaxed swings to put the ball in play with 2 strikes. You get 2 free muscle fuck hacks but after that stop embarrassing yourself and hurting the team. /oldschoolrant

Yep. Fuck analytics. This is college ball. Errors and bunts and hit and runs and stolen bases are still a huge part of the college game. Put the ball in play. Even if it’s a choppy grounder to the 2nd baseman, make him make the play. That bat is pretty fucking worthless on your shoulder 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

Tim Corbin makes a reported 1.3 million as of 2017.  Pay him 2.5 to 3 million to take over Texas and give him another 1.5 to 2 million for staff.  CDC needs to do what Dodds did and steal a top coach from another program. 

Is Vandy like TCU and ND where because it's private, they can say it's $1.3m but he probably has a shit ton of perks that means its double or triple that in total compensation? 

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Is Vandy like TCU and ND where because it's private, they can say it's $1.3m but he probably has a shit ton of perks that means its double or triple that in total compensation? 

Not sure about the pay, but one that is for sure, with Vandy being private (and a huge endowment) , they are able to get past the 11.7 scholarships (for baseball) and are giving out more academic scholarships to their players. Good coach and has shown success, but maybe on different playing field when offering more full scholarships to the bigger arms and other players without touching their 11.7.

There are plenty of other articles (Google is your friend) regarding it, but this one is from 2015 and has been put to good use by Vandy, Rice, Stanford and other private schools with huge endowments. Not saying Texas doesn't have a huge endowment (duh) but it isn't going to the baseball team. 

Halfway through the article below discusses Vandy and their process...

https://journalnow.com/college-baseballs-inequality/article_20fdcfe8-db67-5875-80d5-3e5c6013f51f.html

• Hook 'Em 1

Hansen's health issues, whatever they may be, really change the tenor of this team. Based on what we saw last year and the buzz in the offseason, it looked like we would have the upper hand in most three-game series with that one-two punch. Now, it's Madden and a bunch of question marks. I think Witt will need to be worked into the starting rotation earlier rather than later.

It goes without saying that we'll need Todd to get healthy and a few more bats to wake up besides the JUCO guys.

• Hook 'Em 1

Injury issues? Madden and stevens kind of reminds me of that jungmann-Cole green Friday and Saturday duo. What’s up with Hansen? Otherwise I’d say let him be the Sunday dude, quintanila or mason Bryant or one of the new comers be our Tuesday night guy and have Witt close