2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

I don't think Stevens has the stuff to go far into games once we reach conference play. Maybe he proves me wrong though; he's been a gamer. Hansen has taken breaks in the offseason due to COVID (not sure if contact tracing, positive test, or both) and "arm tenderness". He doesn't have it right now and I'm not sure when he will.

I like the idea of Witt as closer but I suspect we'll need someone with his talent pitching as many innings as possible. Once again the bullpen doesn't appear to be as deep as it should be.

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Team has done me, all of us really, the solid of being bad from the start instead of being good for a month and then shitting the season away. 

It’s only been 7 games. Relax 

edit: and we didn’t exactly get off to a fast start in 2011, 2014 or 2018. Now if we’re 6th in conference come April then yeah. Go money whip Corbin or Pat Casey or Jay Johnson

Edited by Fletch

35 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It’s only been 7 games. Relax 

edit: and we didn’t exactly get off to a fast start in 2011, 2014 or 2018. Now if we’re 6th in conference come April then yeah. Go money whip Corbin or Pat Casey or Jay Johnson

John Savage at UCLA,  Pat Casey has quit more times than a mid 90's BMW.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't think Stevens has the stuff to go far into games once we reach conference play. Maybe he proves me wrong though; he's been a gamer. Hansen has taken breaks in the offseason due to COVID (not sure if contact tracing, positive test, or both) and "arm tenderness". He doesn't have it right now and I'm not sure when he will.

I like the idea of Witt as closer but I suspect we'll need someone with his talent pitching as many innings as possible. Once again the bullpen doesn't appear to be as deep as it should be.

The bullpen was the weak link last year but there were bright spots in Hansen, Duplantier and a couple other guys. Hansen getting to a slow start due to injury’s/COVID and Duplantier out for the season has hurt the pitching staff as a whole here recently. The loss of Duplantier is really hurting, imo, right now because although he had limited appearances last year, he was pretty damn solid and was getting better with each outing.

Witt could easily turn into a starter but I’m going to guess they like him coming out of the bullpen this year. I agree with you that he needs to get plenty of innings and it wouldn’t surprise me if he becomes the “go to” guy out of the pen. He’s really special and will have a helluva career at Texas. 

Wonder who’s starting tomorrow. Hopefully Lucas Gordon

Madden and Hansen are a good 1-2 punch. If Gordon shows out that’d be nice. Kubichek on Sunday’s and Gordon in Tuesday’s. I’d love for Whitt to be a starter but damn he had that closer attitude on the mound this past weekend 

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Wonder who’s starting tomorrow. Hopefully Lucas Gordon

Madden and Hansen are a good 1-2 punch. If Gordon shows out that’d be nice. Kubichek on Sunday’s and Gordon in Tuesday’s. I’d love for Whitt to be a starter but damn he had that closer attitude on the mound this past weekend 

We really need 5 starters with all the mid-week games, but I agree Madden/Hansen/Kubichek sounds like our best bet on the weekends.  Stevens could probably make a good mid-week starter, but i wonder if he's not more valuable as a high-leverage reliever.  He throws strikes, albeit hittable ones, and showed a knack for getting out of trouble last year.  I think, based on what we've seen, that Witt has to get a shot at closer.  Maybe we can throw Cobb at weaker mid-week teams and hope to get 5 innings out of him.

25 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Damn we got a rough stretch coming up. aggy corpus that is normally pretty solid, Texas state, cougar high(they supposed to be any good this year? Please sweep them. Can’t stand that shitty school), the South Carolina 

Too early to tell.    Texas St normally a competitive game.  UH took 3/4 from aggy corpus,  2 were 1 run games.    SCarolina picked 4th in SEC East behind Florida, Vandy, Tenn (strong division).     All teams seem to be playing at least 2 midweek games meaning pitching will be stretched.

Texas St and UH games are scheduled for ESPN+.    ESPN+ has alot of college baseball games this year.  Worth the $5.99 per month.

https://www.espn.com/espnplus/schedule/_/type/upcoming/channel/ESPN_PLUS/startDate/20210303

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

Hansen’s injury is gonna throw a wrench in the plans for the pitching staff. I would imagine that we’ll go Madden-Stevens-Kubichek on the weekends for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, I don't know what else we could do.  Stevens, to me, is much better suited for the bullpen, in a role like Wenzel last night. But at least he can go 5+ and keep us in the game.  

7 hours ago, Balcones said:

What is the problem with Cobb? Didnt he used to be a weekend starter?

The problem is that you can expect this stat line every time he starts:

IP - 4 2/3

Hits - 5

BB - 5

K - 2

If we routinely put up 8-9 runs, I wouldn't worry as much.

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So tired of having mediocre hitting year after year.  We are 119th or something with a .251 team average.  It’s a beating watching us continually get shut down by any staff with decent arms. 

Especially after our 02-2011 run(I guess you can throw 2014 in there. The regular season was alright but that postseason run was vintage UT baseball). Christ in 04 we beat everyone in the post season by like at least 8 runs then Fullerton....to this day I cringe when I hear Kurt Suzuki’s name on tv

9 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

So tired of having mediocre hitting year after year.  We are 119th or something with a .251 team average.  It’s a beating watching us continually get shut down by any staff with decent arms. 

Must be the Disch.  Must be.

On 3/2/2021 at 4:12 PM, Cajun said:

At this point, with expectations clubbed repeatedly like a baby seal on a Greenpeace fundrasing video, it's all house money.

amirite?

Same as football, if they want my fanaticism they have to produce. I have too many interests and only one life to fuck around with the bullshit. It would be one thing if I was a Texas State grad, you’d expect to be competitive but lose a lot. I’m done wasting my time with Texas under performing.