2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

30 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I just gave some aggy money to fill his jizz jar and snagged two tickets behind the UT dugout so my daughter and I will be there.

Hopefully the game and not at the jizz jar filling ritual. 

• Haha 1

Excerpts,  AAS article on Daly.     Praise for Tulo.

Nice for Stehly to tutor since losing his position.   Per his bio,  Daly's dad is a 4 star General, US Army.

"I feel comfortable on both sides of the middle infield," Daly said. "It hasn't really been too difficult. (Volunteer assistant coach Troy Tulowitzki has) done a great job and some of the older guys like Murph have done a great job of answering any questions that I've had."

So, how did a player raised in the heart of SEC country end up at Texas? Daly said he once visited Austin with a travel team, and he felt an instant connection after visiting the UT campus with his dad. He committed to the Longhorns in December 2018.

"I really just felt like it was a natural fit," Daly said. "I just credit God for that, just putting me where I think I belong."

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/04/06/baseball-texas-opens-seasons-longest-homestand-21st-win/7095455002/

Thank Omar for Melendez.

The El Paso product had only one Division I offer coming out of high school, from New Mexico State. He instead went to Odessa College to pitch and hit. He was eventually convinced to just focus on hitting; Melendez hit 17 homers and was an NJCAA All-American in 2019.

Tipped off about the slugger by former Longhorns star Omar Quintanilla, Texas convinced Melendez to join its 2020 recruiting class. When Melendez signed, assistant coach Sean Allen described him as "a natural hitter with huge raw power."

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/04/07/baseball-ivan-melendez-stays-hot-texas-wins-its-fifth-straight/7134100002/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Re: the  latest of Ivan's bombs ... the most anyone has ever hit over the monster is 2. Those were all before they raised it 8 feet, and at least most of those were before BBCOR bats. Ivan has hit two in two days that would have cleared the old monster easily. And he's a sophomore.

Zeke & Zonk said the last one they could remember was Rupp's. He was drafted in 2010, the year before BBCOR bats took over in college.

58 minutes ago, wood said:

Re: the  latest of Ivan's bombs ... the most anyone has ever hit over the monster is 2. Those were all before they raised it 8 feet, and at least most of those were before BBCOR bats. Ivan has hit two in two days that would have cleared the old monster easily. And he's a sophomore.

Zeke & Zonk said the last one they could remember was Rupp's. He was drafted in 2010, the year before BBCOR bats took over in college.

Draft eligible 

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Draft eligible 

Oh yeah, I know. Just sayin' ... we're 33 games into his Texas career and he's hit two that would clear the old monster, in two days, with BBCOR bats, & one was into a north wind.

7 hours ago, jw4381 said:

So what happened during the first several games that the Longhorns lost? Just getting the kinks worked out to where they are now?

Unclear, but it was the first 3 games of the season, we had just finished a week of freezing temperatures where more than half the city was without power and water, and played 3 of the teams ranked in the top 5 right now (1,3,4 in Baseball America, 2,3,5 in D1 Baseball). 

I'm not sure if the results would be any different if we played today, but our offense seems to be much better than the 4 runs in 3 games we scratched out in Arlington.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Unclear, but it was the first 3 games of the season, we had just finished a week of freezing temperatures where more than half the city was without power and water, and played 3 of the teams ranked in the top 5 right now (1,3,4 in Baseball America, 2,3,5 in D1 Baseball). 

I'm not sure if the results would be any different if we played today, but our offense seems to be much better than the 4 runs in 3 games we scratched out in Arlington.

And the pitching they faced in those 3 games, most pitches they saw were mid to upper 90s. Anyways, this team is coming along nicely. Tulo undoubtedly a great hire. 

• Hook 'Em 1