2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

Vanderbilt dropped a game to Georgia State.

Mississippi State lost to Kent State.

Texas Tech lost a series to Kansas State who are currently lower in the RPI rankings than Nevada.

TCU, who looks like the best team in the conference, got blown out by Texas State and lost to Sam Houston State.

Yeah, we shouldn't be losing to inferior teams but shit happens in baseball.

It's a cruel game.

52 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

No.  We might lose tomorrow to Nevada which would mean we suck massively and are likely to finish in 4th place in conference and get sent to Athens, GA for a regional where we have no chance against an SECSEC powerhouse. 

And we have to fire Pierce no matter what 

18 hours ago, petscii said:

Can we do poorly enough to get sent out to california?  Asking for a friend.  

No cause we’re going 8-1 against okie state, tech and tcu and winning the fucking conference the way Texas baseball is supposed to 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

That’s a Murder’s Row that Texas has to play. Texas being on top of the standings and their next opponents are the next four - OkieState, TCU, Texas Tech and West Virginia, (maybe not in that order). It’s going to be tough but I like their chances. They’ve been playing great baseball.

5 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

5-4 might still win the league. Depends on what happens this weekend. 

True but I think our pitching and defense is gonna keep those 3 teams in check and it’s not exactly like they have elite pitching staffs. 7-2 and 8-1 in that stretch wouldn’t surprise me at all. But yeah gotta admit after the last 10 years it’s really tough to fully buy into this team, but they definitely got the 02-05 mindset. Gonna be a fun month 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Cajun said:

We are going to get beat like fucking rented mules with these series coming up.

Goddamnit, what's wrong with you people?

You are talking about the program that ended basketball this year for Texas.  It also ended baseball for Texas last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Get your boy AustinOrange back on here. That little bitch could spew negativity like no other. 

Please god no. It’s been a great season on the field and a pretty pleasant year for talking UT baseball on here. Lots of good discussions lately. Please don’t bring that shit bag back who’d say something weak like “Ivan can’t hit the big arms” the second he goes 1-5 or whatever against tcu or some insightful shit like that. It was fun watching him disappear during the 2014 run for the most part (iirc) 

So, what's the deal with baseball tickets and game attendance in plain English? There's nothing on the UT site about baseball tickets which seems impossible.

Is the only way to get tickets, to show up on gameday? I'm sure that would work for Abilene Christian, but what about Tech in a couple weeks? 

14 minutes ago, texastough said:

So, what's the deal with baseball tickets and game attendance in plain English? There's nothing on the UT site about baseball tickets which seems impossible.

Is the only way to get tickets, to show up on gameday? I'm sure that would work for Abilene Christian, but what about Tech in a couple weeks? 

Show up one hour before, or buy (at inflated prices) on StubHub.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Is there any ability to go and see the horns in San Marcos?

Tried to look online if you can buy tix from Texas State and got nowhere.

All vaccinated up and want to see the good guys in person.

They are doing limited seating in a smaller ballpark.   Best to call Tx State @ 512-245-2272.    And StubHub.   In the years I have been,  never have seen scalpers.

Chances likely not good other than StubHub.    Always a great game and venue.  Game is scheduled for ESPN+.

Edited by torre

^

Well played.  

I kinda thought Nevada, since they had a solidly improving RPI, would help us a bit.  

These are even more scattered-brained than the basketball bracketology, but fun to look at today over lunch as are now truly in the final stretch of the season:

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/baseball/bracketology

Florida, Southern Illinois (SALUKIS!), and Fairfield.  Gators would be a tough #2 draw for us, not because of SECSECSEC, but because they've defeated the Stetson Hatters twice already this year.  As a proud Stetson Hatter, I know how tough that can be.  

^

Yep, all this.  I really can't recall a year where we've had such a tough stretch in conference play to close the season.  Sadly, there've been some recent years in the last decade (2013, 2015, 2016, & 2019) where every stretch was tough because we stunk.  But we are really in a great spot right now and can continue to buckle down on a Top 8 national seed and really drive who we draw for our #2 in Austin. 

But we are really staring at a serious gauntlet, of the Top 5 teams in this league not named Texas, we're playing all of the other 4.  WVU is something of a decline right now.  Tech, despite the KSU hiccup and some brutally key injuries, is playing as well as anyone else in the league.  With those two teams coming to Austin, I feel a bit better about a chance at 4-2, maybe 5-1.  And we'll need that.  The road trips to OSU and TCU will be tough, I'll be happy to win just one of those series.  Baseball road games aren't that tough to begin with even during Covid-19, but we just don't do well in those two towns for some reason (at least lately).  

It's been fun to cushion the win column and the stats, but we're on the precipice here.  Go 8-4 in this next month and we're in for a really cushy national seed/pairings.  Get a losing record and we're gonna sweat the Top 8 announcements big time.  I think this year, conference tournaments will mean even less than they usually do for seeding purposes.  

One game at time.  Sometimes you win.  Sometimes you lose.  Sometimes it rains.