2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

But we are really staring at a serious gauntlet, of the Top 5 teams in this league not named Texas, we're playing all of the other 4.  WVU is something of a decline right now. 

Regional sites will be announced prior to the WVU series.  I guess it's possible we couldn't attend our own regional (?) but I don't really know.  I would assume we could fall to a #2 or lower seed.

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Winning 13 in a row is awesome, and I hope the players and coaches are enjoying it, but as a fan, it still feels somewhat meaningless with the TCU, Tech, OSU, and WVU series coming up. I’m hopeful our win streak gets validated by how do against those teams. 

I’ve been overly optimistic since like the fall. Ask @Cajun  but dude. Madden and Stevens are a legit 1-2 punch and Kubs is good for 5 or 6 innings on a Sunday then we turn it over to the bullpen. And dude, from like 2012–2017 we’d be lucky to score 11 runs in the entire series against ACU. Of course the upcoming stretch is gonna define our season, but does Okie lite and tech have our level of pitching and defense? No. Does tcu? I don’t think so. So yeah. Our pitching along with total fucking vacuums in the infield(Faltine is our standard at short) and our lineup of no automatic outs(like say Jake McKenzie, Tate Shaw, Michael McCann or Michael Cantu) is very promising. And we’re pretty fucking young too. We need Gordon to step up to give us a solid bullpen. But yeah. This team is tailor made to do some damage in the postseason. Gonna be a fun couple of months 

• Hook 'Em 8

I perused the recruiting rankings on perfect game and I’m surprised how low Texas is ranked for several of the recent classes given the level of talent in the freshman and sophomore classes. It seems we finally have a fair amount of power up and down the lineup and there are plenty of high upside arms on this staff including a likely top 15 pick in Madden. 

23 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I perused the recruiting rankings on perfect game and I’m surprised how low Texas is ranked for several of the recent classes given the level of talent in the freshman and sophomore classes. It seems we finally have a fair amount of power up and down the lineup and there are plenty of high upside arms on this staff including a likely top 15 pick in Madden. 

Are those classes adjusted for actual arrival?  I think Covid increased the number of MLB signees for the 2020-on-campus class, and the class was somewhat decimated, and we have been getting hit harder by signees than in the late Augie era.  Which is good and bad.  But obviously, our evaluations seem to be better than they have been.

What do other stadiums with real grass do to protect the grass from June thru October when it's not in use and it's hotter than a rat's ass?  

I would think with the modern advancements in under-field irrigation, that it would be possible to have playable grass from February thru May.  And then do something to protect it from June thru October.  And then let it be dormant in the Winter.  Surely other big programs down South have accomplished this, no?  

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What do other stadiums with real grass do to protect the grass from June thru October when it's not in use and it's hotter than a rat's ass?  

I would think with the modern advancements in under-field irrigation, that it would be possible to have playable grass from February thru May.  And then do something to protect it from June thru October.  And then let it be dormant in the Winter.  Surely other big programs down South have accomplished this, no?  

The biggest deal was being able to use it during the summer for camps. Don’t know if that drove the original decision for turf but it did when they changed from astroturf to the stuff they have now, instead of installing grass. 

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

I miss the ole Astor turf we had. Christ I got some nasty ass turf burns at UT baseball camp back in the day. But shit that Astro turf was awesome 

I remember my rubber cleats melting.  But on the last day they brought out the tarp and turned it into a giant slip n slide, so that was fun.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

We have tournaments and camps on it almost all summer. But MSU knows a bit about growing grass (not the kind found in Oxford).

I have always ragged on UT for your turf, but was told it was because of the heat and that the band also practiced on the field or something else that put a lot of stress on it. 

I'm always in favor of grass. 
What's the majority of the conference do on their fields, or others in the state?

I mean if the Aggies can keep a grass field in good shape, surely yall could. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Hansen gets th start tonight. I'd like to see his pitch count capped so we can bring him out of the bullpen over the weekend.

Hadn't considered that, but it's not a bad idea.  Doe the Pokes sport many lefties in their line up?

16 minutes ago, msudawg said:

We have tournaments and camps on it almost all summer. But MSU knows a bit about growing grass (not the kind found in Oxford).

I have always ragged on UT for your turf, but was told it was because of the heat and that the band also practiced on the field or something else that put a lot of stress on it. 

What's the majority of the conference do on their fields, or others in the state?

I think Texas, Tech and Houston are the only turf fields in Texas that my son played on with Kyle Chapman.  I remember Tech was the worst for melted cleats as that was in late July.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, msudawg said:

The band thing was certainly true in the years before the track stadium was built.  Now I am assuming the band uses that instead.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

Just call any AA or AAA below the mason dixon line

Or better yet, I hear there’s one a few miles due north of Disch-Falk that might have some ideas

During tonight’s radio broadcast, Craig reviewed a regional projection.  Texas is currently not a top 8 seed nationally. Hard to believe. tcu is coming in at #2 overall seed currently. Lot of bball still to play , but crazy how we are not a top 8 at present 

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

During tonight’s radio broadcast, Craig reviewed a regional projection.  Texas is currently not a top 8 seed nationally. Hard to believe. tcu is coming in at #2 overall seed currently. Lot of bball still to play , but crazy how we are not a top 8 at present 

Was there a rationale as to what is different between Texas and tcu right now?

This team is a real Texas baseball team.  been a while.  lower rung guys in the order hitting around .250, pitching and D is very very good.  Sans the first 3 games they have absolutely been nails.  the only real blemish is the aggy game.

we go 8-4 in the next 4 series and win the mid weeks I see no way we aren't top 8.  not sure what happens if we lose a series but I think this is a team you can take on the road in a Super anyway.

not counting chickens yet but Pierce has done an excellent job this year(willing to overlook the few 3rd base coaching WTF's).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Was there a rationale as to what is different between Texas and tcu right now?

Not jd,  but review the RPI (Texas 13, TCU 4, 5)    Winning the OKSt series on the road should move us up, perhaps to top 10.   I think our RPI is hurt by our opponent's winning percentage.   Fairfield (20-0) is a MAAC school in Conn that plays teams like Rider, Canisius, Iona, Quinnipiac, etc - I have no idea why they are #1. 

Rank Rating   W   L     W     L     W   L   Team      

1   0.670   20   0   14.0   0.0   20   0  Fairfield
  2   0.640   30   6   26.4   6.6   30   6  Arkansas
  3   0.624   29   8   25.7   8.6   29   8  Tennessee
  4   0.623   22   8   21.4   8.0   22   8  Oregon
  5   0.621   26   9   24.2   8.7   26   9  Texas Christian
  6   0.617   28   6   25.6   6.6   28   6  Vanderbilt
  7   0.614   26   5   20.6   4.1   26   5  East Carolina
  8   0.611   23  11   20.9  11.3   23  11  Arizona
  9   0.608   26   9   25.4   9.3   26   9  Louisiana Tech
 10   0.607   27   8   23.1   9.8   27   8  Mississippi State
 11   0.603   21  10   17.7  10.0   21  10  Oklahoma State
 12   0.603   24  10   21.0   8.8   24  10  South Carolina
 13   0.600   30   8   25.8   8.0   30   8  Texas
 14   0.599   26  10   22.4  10.0   26  10  Mississippi
 15   0.598   23  12   20.9  12.0   23  12  Southern Mississippi
 16   0.595   26   8   20.6   8.0   26   8  Texas Tech
 17   0.592   18   7   18.0   7.3   18   7  Notre Dame
 18   0.589   25  10   21.7   9.4   25  10  North Carolina-Charlotte
 19   0.587   21  11   20.1  10.7   21  11  Miami, Florida
 20   0.587   20  11   20.0  11.9   20  11  Pittsburgh

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

The latest projections by D1Baseball:

https://d1baseball.com/postseason/projected-field-of-64-april-20/

FAYETTEVILLE   STANFORD
1. Arkansas* (1)   1. Stanford (16)
4. Oral Roberts*   4. San Diego

2. Nebraska   2. Florida
3. Wright State*   3. UC Santa Barbara*

NASHVILLE   LOUISVILLE
1. Vanderbilt (2)   1. Louisville (15)
4. Lehigh*   4. Fairfield*

2. Indiana State*   2. Georgia
3. UCLA   3. Indiana

FORT WORTH   COLUMBIA
1. TCU* (3)   1. South Carolina (14)
4. Bryant*   4. Campbell*

2. Oregon State   2. Charlotte
3. Connecticut*   3. North Carolina

STARKVILLE   TUCSON
1. Mississippi State (4)   1. Arizona (13)
4. Jackson State*   4. Grand Canyon*

2. Florida State   2. Oklahoma State
3. South Alabama*   3. UC Irvine

EUGENE   RUSTON
1. Oregon* (5)   1. Louisiana Tech* (12)
4. Fordham*   4. SE Louisiana*

2. Gonzaga*   2. Miami
3. Iowa   3. Baylor

SOUTH BEND   LUBBOCK
1. Notre Dame* (6)   1. Texas Tech (11)
4. Ball State*   4. Northeastern*

2. Michigan*   2. Pittsburgh
3. Alabama   3. Arizona State

GREENVILLE   OXFORD
1. East Carolina* (7)   1. Ole Miss (10)
4. N.C. Central*   4. San Diego State*

2. Old Dominion   2. Southern Miss
3. Western Carolina*   3. Tulane

KNOXVILLE   AUSTIN
1. Tennessee (8)   1. Texas (9)
4. Morehead State*   4. Stony Brook*

2. Virginia Tech   2. Georgia Tech
3. Liberty*   3. Louisiana

So #9 seed, matched up with that other UT. Almost there.

I mean if this was a normal season anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, torre said:

Fairfield (20-0) is a MAAC school in Conn that plays teams like Rider, Canisius, Iona, Quinnipiac, etc - I have no idea why they are #1. 

Because the MAAC is playing only conference games. Therefore they are disconnected from the rest of the teams (like the Big Ten) so RPI and other computer ratings are irrelevant for them. They shouldn't be included in those at all, the only thing you can use their RPI and computer ratings for is to rate them relative to the rest of their conference.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/19/2021 at 8:09 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Well the disch has never had grass so there’s history or tradition in that sense as well. But please lose the giant longhorn and get some dirt sliding pits and batters box. 

A thousand times THIS!

Goddamn that's the aggyiest looking fucking thing dooshing up that park.  Get it the fuck out.

On 4/20/2021 at 11:27 AM, msudawg said:

Look man, aggy sucks at just about everything, but Hydro-Mulching isn't one of those things.  You gotta get good at that to keep the sheep from runnin'.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cajun said:

A thousand times THIS!

Goddamn that's the aggyiest looking fucking thing dooshing up that park.  Get it the fuck out.

I'm more offended by the lack of dirt around the bases.  The brown turn warning track is also a nice touch.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, WBT said:

I'm more offended by the lack of dirt around the bases.  The brown turn warning track is also a nice touch.

It all sucks, but the centerfield logo is nauseatingly bad.  It reminds me of this moron shit everytime I see it -

iu-2.jpeg

We need all the RPI/SOS help we can get, so let's get all three games in please!  

Yeah, real problem with Friday is the storms will have lightning up that way.  With a 1:00p scheduled start on Saturday, then can easily pack in a day/night DH and not screw up their logistics too bad.  Only bummer is the Friday night game is on ESPNU and my only obligation at 7:00p is to drink beer and blow up balloons for the Saturday birthday.  All other games will only be on radio (I don't have ESPN+).  

Watch this space for updates:  https://okstate.com/sports/baseball

Does OSU have their own resident PhDhorn like we do who makes the best forecasts for sporting events?